[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Ever notice that video games these days are just long movies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 1349340150717.jpg (55 KB, 464x824) Image search: [Google]
1349340150717.jpg
55 KB, 464x824
>Ever notice that video games these days are just long movies with tasks?
Is my friend wrong in this statement?
>>
What do you think, OP?
>>
I'm not sure what he means by this. You can find plenty of games with essentially no story, disqualifying it from being a movie. Particularly of the puzzle genre.

Now, what qualifies something as "a movie with tasks"? Is it how much gameplay there is to cutscenes? Interactivity? Choice? Because to be honest it's a pretty open statement.
>>
File: 1375979678010.gif (888 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
1375979678010.gif
888 KB, 220x220
>>322100076
>Video games these days
Probably talking about AAA titles, which honestly I could see it making sense. A lot of them force bullshit story down your throat with mindless tasks
>>
Your on the wrong side of history grandpa. over 50% of gamers are girls now and they cant do hardcore gameplay they want a good story involving strong independent women and lesbians
>>
>implying he plays games himself
>>
File: 45_orphanage23.jpg (36 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
45_orphanage23.jpg
36 KB, 640x480
>>322099921

As long as the focus is on gameplay, its fine. But its getting less and less about gameplay and more about "muh cinematic experience" or "muh story." Games should always be games first, storytelling medium second.
>>
Even GTA V felt like I was going through the motions in single player and all the good stuff was waiting for me in multi. Probably have less hours in it than any other GTA
>>
>>322099921
I fail to see how that's bad, unless the task is boring, uninteresting or not challenging. I play plenty of games that have the story as its main reward and I'm completely aware that I am playing because of the story, but if the gameplay isn't solid it's very difficult to press on.
>>
>>322100575
That scene fucking got me.
>>
Having a story doesn't necessitate cutscenes/logs/chatty companion NPCs. Story isn't just events happening to characters (also known as the plot) or exposition, there's no reason it cannot be told in the game world and gameplay itself.
>>
>>322099921
Isn't that second image from when he played the 3DO?

Also, that first picture looks kind of shopped.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.