[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best Metroid game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13
File: Metroid.png (874 KB, 615x615) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.png
874 KB, 615x615
Which one /v/? I've left the gamecube and wii games out of this because they feel like totally different games.

For me it's definitely Fusion.
>>
>>322091705
Grew up shitting my pants to metroid ll. Was by far my favorite gameyboy game.
>>
>>322091705
Super for speed running and glitching, Zero mission if you're forced to play a portable one.

AM2R > Zero Mission if we're bringing unofficial remakes into this
>>
Zero Mission.

It's a remake of the first Metroid but it actually builds on Super.

I actually wish Fusion was great. It really tried to flip the whole Metroid thing on its head. But man fuck all that talking and just blocking shit off because plot.
>>
>>322091705
I almost shat my pants as a kid when I encountered the SA-X (at that one point when you think you can hide but the floor crumbles beneath you).
>>
>>322092327
I agree that blocking doors was shit but I liked having some more plot than "find the Metroid"
>>
>>322091705
Super, no contest.
>>
Super Bruh
>>
>>322093210
A boring plot is actually worse than no plot
>>
Super Metroid is the only good game in the entire series (this includes all Metroid games, including the Prime games, etc.)
>>
Zero Mission for life. My favourite part of Super was sequence breaking and then ZM comes along and actually builds the game around it. Fuck yeah.

I never liked Metroid 2 much, Samus is too big on screen and everywhere looks the same as everywhere else so I kept getting lost. Still an alright game though

I never beat 3 as a kid because I didn't know there was a run button so I never got past that one bit in Brinstar
>>
>>322093504
You know that Zero Mission and Fusion play basically the same as Super right? You could argue that Super is better than the others but it would be silly to label the GBA games as bad while you call Super good.
>>
>>322091705
Where is Metroid 1, the best of the series?
>>
>>322093758
Fusion is too linear, Zero Mission is just a remake of Metroid 1 which sucked.
>>
>>322091705
ZM all the way.
Snappiest controls, tightest gameplay, does a good job of balancing direction with non-linearity.

I will give SM huge points for how many different ways you can sequence break it, but I find ZM's core gameplay to be superior. If they were made on the same engine, I would give SM the winning title for sure. Everything in that game just seems so "clunky". Good game, but I don't enjoy the feel of the controls.
>>
Fusion is my favorite, best atmosphere by a country mile but in all honesty Super is probably better, definitely better level design and better visuals.
>>
>>322093210
I mean the whole inverse on the whole Metroid idea where you are basically a god in those games to where you are running from a being that can fuck you up is amazing. But I just feel there is so many missteps in Fusion that I just can't stand that game.

What's sad is how R&D 1 has actual Metroid. Since they are all about being weird and innovative with their games. While the fans just want another Super Metroid. So Sakamoto just doesn't care about the series.
>>
File: Breegull_Bash.png (119 KB, 456x335) Image search: [Google]
Breegull_Bash.png
119 KB, 456x335
>>322091705
Zero Missuon would be perfect if not for the fucking god awful stealth shit at the end.
>>
File: image.jpg (83 KB, 394x293) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83 KB, 394x293
>>322093909
You know the whole reason it was remade was so that we could have a version of the first Metroid that didn't suck by today's standards? And they succeeded? You're a faggot.
>>
>>322091705
Super. Fusion is pretty good too. Zero Mission is great until you lose the suit.
>>
>>322094545
i keep on imagining that butcha-u doujin happens when you game over in that part
>>
All right, new question: when will we get a proper new Metroid game?

never
>>
Any answer that isn't Super Metroid is empirically false.
>>
>>322094754
Maybe that Jap whose name escapes me will be able to gather a team in time to deliver a Metroid for the NX.

Federation Force will flop and Nintendo will abandon Metroid for at least a decate
>>
File: image.jpg (215 KB, 600x742) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
215 KB, 600x742
>>322093909
>fusion is linear meme
Compared to ZM and Super, yes, but it generally isn't a linear game. After the first time in Sector 1, you aren't hallwayed into a straight path. You're given a sector to explore and a base map that doesn't give you the entire layout. You have to figure out where to go, what path to take, etc..
>>
My ideal Metroid game would be a mix between

1. The level design and atmosphere of Super Metroid
2. The challenge of AM2R
3. The Samus Aran physics of Zero Mission
>>
>>322094940
Federation Force will definitely flop and it'll probably also be a pretty good game, just not what anyone wants.
>>
>>322095023
I'm just afraid Nintendo will pull a SE "you didn't buy a billion copies therefore you don't want Metroid"
>>
Super > Zero Mission > Other M > Fusion = II > Metroid
>>
>>322091705
Super Metroid, because of reasons. They're all pretty good though. I'll be doing my annual new years eve replay of Fusion and ZM.
>>
>>322094984
And
4. The atmosphere of Fusion
We need a SA-X-esque predator.
>>
File: image.png (163 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.png
163 KB, 500x500
>>322095127
>other m over fusion
>other m over fucking anything metroid related
Get out of here, Woolie.
>>
>>322095181
>those soulless eyes

How the fuck did a GBA game scare me so much. Even now when I replay it I'm afraid of SA-X sections.
>>
>>322095118
I imagine they simply don't know what to do with Metroid right now. After Other M, I'd wager they don't want to try another 2.5D game, Federation Force is a take on Prime and it was met with very negative feedback (and it'll flop) and high quality 2D animation is probably too expensive to justify in a niche franchise like Metroid.

I half expect them to just hand it to a shitty indie dev to make a procedurally generated piece of garbage.
>>
>>322095510
Could be a similar situation to F-Zero then. Specially if Retro told them that they didn't want to work on Metroid anymore and they won't invest on a 2D iteration.

>I half expect them to just hand it to a shitty indie dev to make a procedurally generated piece of garbage.

Death is not the worst of fates I see.
>>
>>322094951
I agree. After playing [you know what], I realized Fusion does have a fair bit of exploration to it. It just generally happens in one area at a time as opposed to larger portions of the world. It's actually fairly similar to the way Metroid 2 did it.
>>
File: image.gif (178 KB, 500x411) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
178 KB, 500x411
>>322095348
>the footsteps, I still hear them at night
http://youtu.be/YO-x7j5RyGc
>>
>>322094940
People need to know that Sakamoto doesn't care about Metroid because he's not a guy that want to keep doing the same game. Remember R&D1 is all about being ducking weird. I mean this is the group that started the Mario Land series and somehow it became Rhythm Heaven.

Fusion and Other M was him trying to think of a way to do something kind of weird with the series. And with the fan reaction against it he just decided to wash his hands from the series.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 311x700) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 311x700
>>322095796
And then, the power goes out and the sectors start to interconnect.
>>
File: why.jpg (9 KB, 189x266) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
9 KB, 189x266
>>322095813
>giving the SA-X X-Ray vision
>>
>>322095713
F-Zero will probably get a release in the next couple years. They're releasing a new Star Fox for fuck's sake, that's a series with a grand total of 2 games that were actually successful. F-Zero is an easy sell these days since every other big budget futuristic racing series has died. RIP Psygnosis
>>
>>322093945
Super has tight as fuck controls senpai. The only thing that really feels shitty control-wise is the grappling beam.
>>
>>322096110
It's not like you need that anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 320x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 320x445
Hey guys, you like fine wine?
>>
>>322096229
What else are you gonna use to pick up health and missiles without running all the way to the other side of the room?
>>
>>322096110
Running is clunky as shit in SM. I vastly prefer the GBA style where you just run at all times.
>>
File: 13854384636.png (173 KB, 500x297) Image search: [Google]
13854384636.png
173 KB, 500x297
>>322095813
>Metroid game where the SA-X can appear literally anywhere
>>
>>322096253
>not reading the OP
I love Prime, and I'm loving Prime 2, but they aren't side-scrollers, dumbass.
>>
>>322096253
>first-person game with analog sticks
More like boxed wine
>>
>>322096051
>F-Zero will probably get a release in the next couple years.

You're right. It really is a damn shame what's happened to Metroid, stuck in this sort of no man's land. What I wouldn't give for a 2D Metroid.
>>
>>322096402
I think that's what they were going for in the stealth segment of Zero Mission and that didn't really work out.
>>
>>322096505
My best case scenario is that Nintendo commissions WayForward to make a new Metroid. That seems kinda doubtful though, they've loosened up on licensing but they aren't THAT loose yet.
>>
>>322096828
I love me some Zebesian Space Pirates but they don't carry a fraction of the fear factor the SA-X has.
>>
>>322096402
The whole reason why it was so good was because it showed up so rarely and every time in completely scripted situations so the AI had less room to fuck up and become non-threatening. As soon as you see SA-X in a big open room during its boss fight, it becomes a joke. The whole unscripted SA-X thing sounds amazing but it would be so insanely hard to pull off well that it seems like a really dumb thing to attempt.
>>
>>322096889
A little more assraping and they will be.
>>
>>322096889
They still see enough value in the Metroid name to experiment with it and expect us to eat it up. A couple more blunders and they should be ready to hand it over.
>>
>>322091705
Fusion is my favorite. Only real problem I have with it is that the talking and cutscenes can get to be a bit much. Give a way to quickly skip that shit and it's perfect. After playing the game over 15 times I feel this feature would be perfect for the game.
>>
>>322097131
The failure of the Wii U is just gonna lead them back towards casuals. The Wii U was pretty blatantly targeted towards the people who felt betrayed by the Wii, why else would they have pushed third party so hard at launch? Why else would they have had their big first party launch title be made up entirely of fan service pandering? Why else would they get Platinum to do not one, not two but three games for the console? The Wii U is simply a sign that Nintendo has no chance to recapture the "hardcore" audience, because that audience cares solely about image and marketing, not actual quality.
>>
>>322097102
>As soon as you see SA-X in a big open room during its boss fight, it becomes a joke.

I almost feel like it's intentional, considering how pathetic it's second form is.
>>
>>322097659
I think it's intentional too, the whole point is to show you have surpassed this terrifying creature that looks like you and haunted you the whole game. And it's not even the final boss.

But then again the Omega Metroid sucked too, so who knows.
>>
>>322091705
GAMEPLAY/CHALLENGE: 1 > 2 > Super > shit > GBA games

EVERYTHING ELSE: Super > 1 > GBA games > 2
>>
>>322097852
Damn. Now that you mention it, I guess the game does lack a credible final boss fight.
>>
>>322098098
That seems to be a common theme among the sidescrollers.
>>
>>322097102
I doubt it'd be too hard to implement into the game. Nemesis on re3 was random so its not impossible
>>
>>322098098
I actually had a lot of trouble fighting the SA-X when I played Fusion for the first time. I must have done something wrong though because it was easy when I replayed the game recently.
>>
>>322098354
Maybe you jumped up to the platforms. The fight gets a lot trickier if you move off the floor level.
>>
fusion a best.
then metroid 2
then super metroid
then zero mission
they're all amazing in their own way though, fucking great games.
>>
Super and Fusion are fucking GOAT

in my top 10
>>
File: metroid.jpg (82 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
metroid.jpg
82 KB, 480x640
Bump
>>
>>322098214
Mother Brain in Super was really memorable, though.
>>
I just beat Super Metroid for the first time. How did children ever finish this?!
>>
Super. Zero Mission is good too, but GBA just can't pull off same stuff as SNES, which is why I prefer Fusion of the GBA games because it felt more like its own thing rather than almost-there Super.
>>
>>322091705
Super Metroid. But you know damn well you should've replaced Zero Mission with the original game.
>>
>>322096253
Maybe you should learn how to read the next time you post Prime fanboy; post a favorite mainline game. But still fuck the OP for no Metroid NES.
>>
File: 1366028391108.jpg (659 KB, 1364x812) Image search: [Google]
1366028391108.jpg
659 KB, 1364x812
What's the best 2D area and why is it Maridia?
>>
File: 1450670114101.gif (7 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
1450670114101.gif
7 KB, 192x224
>>322091705
Super>ZM>Fusion>All of the other games not listed> 2
>>
I like Fusion best
>>
So what's the progress on AM2R?

How far along is it? Like 50 percent or what?

When can we get the complete version?
>>
>>322106138
What is it?
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.