[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warframe - Destiny killer or just a shiny korean grind fest?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: warframe.jpg (261 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
warframe.jpg
261 KB, 1920x1080
Let's talk about Warframe.

I recently tried it out for three days and so far it's been really bad.

The bad:

The activities feel meaningless, there is no clear route to progression, I'm level 15 and I have no idea how to get a new weapon.

The good:

Excellent graphics, optimized engine, shooting feels nice and polish is there.

---

So what went wrong? Any Warframe vets care to discuss? What am I missing here?

It looks like every cool thing in the game is hidden behind a microtransaction.
>>
Haven't played it in a couple of months. Is Rhino Prime still the best warframe?
>>
>>322085407
Let me correct you on one thing.

It's a Canadian(tm) grindfest.
>>
>>322085671
On chat they keep buying/selling Rhino's i imagine that's what they're referring to.
>>
>>322085671
I only use him for Nightmare missions but apparentyl U18 nerfed his crowd control capabilities. Still a crazy tank
>>
I enjoy it. Using new frames and building new weapons is rewarding and the grind is fun with friends. Also its pretty cool using mods (stat alterations) to completely change your play style. If you get a decent grasp, its good.
>>
>>322085407
>I'm level 15 and I have no idea how to get a new weapon.

First off you aren't level 15. The starter frame you picked is level 15. Your own level (called mastery rank) is likely still 0.

As for new weapons you either buy them directly from the store for real money or buy their blueprints with in game "credits" that you earn from doing missions and build them.

Progression is done through mods which you can add to frames or weapons. Levelling up gear doesn't do much directly. It mainly just allows you to stick more / higher level mods on your stuff.

>It looks like every cool thing in the game is hidden behind a microtransaction.

Yes. You can get around paying for stuff but it typically involves grinding things out and every new update is more grindy to get than the last. The early frames were accessible by earning the parts from bosses but frames released later tend to be hidden in special missions that require special keys to access (which are typically built using rare or difficult to acquire materials).
>>
I haven't played since Nova Prime came out, so that's been probably like a year or something, but personally I think it's a fun experience for a very short while. There's no harm in trying it, but let me warn you that when it starts to get boring, you might as well just quit because it is a shallow game.

The game quickly became a "grind X,Y,Z to 30, rinse, repeat". It's easy to get things to 30 but it just ends up being a game about choosing the best way to grind and you're only grinding to raise your mastery rank, which you're doing for literally no reason.

Also some things like primed mods take way too many cores.
>>
>korean

What?
>>
Do not play WF alone. Solo.
>>
>>322086531
>but frames released later tend to be hidden in special missions that require special keys to access (which are typically built using rare or difficult to acquire materials).

Yeah you just sold me against the game. I don't really like games that have that much bullshit.

"B-but you don't need to spend a penny!" Right, but the length of the grind is directly impacted by microtransactions.

I don't really like grindy games like that. At least with Destiny you get a drop and it's there, not this farm for mats bullshit.
>>
>>322085407
>Destiny killer
isn't destiny just killing itself?
>>322086778
when using "korean" in reference to grind, it means grinding for the sake of grinding in seemingly unending "progression" that goes almost nowhere. it's a gaming "in joke"
>>
>>322085407
it's pretty neat
>>
>>322085671
Rhino was garbage tier for a while but he's back to being pretty alright.

The problem is that a few of the newer Warframes have stupid high armor or flat out invincibility.
>>
>>322085407
It's literally a third person shooter diablo-esque game ( except not fucking awful to play like Borderlands ). It's not very demanding to play, fun in short bursts, and good for being one of those games that you just play while listening to podcasts or semi-watching a show. It's an unashamed grindfest, but that's the appeal for most of it's long-term players.

The only things behind microtransacations are cosmetics, by the by .Everything else you can get by just playing the game ( although I admittedly dropped a few bucks to get some inventory size expansions early on, because I couldn't let go of any of my gear ). To get a new weapon, buy the blueprint at the store or find one out in the wild and assemble it at the forge. Unless you want prime weapons, in which case you gotta find it's indifidual pieces in the void, assemble THOSE, and then use the pieces to assemble the full thing.
>>
File: killmepls.jpg (16 KB, 395x145) Image search: [Google]
killmepls.jpg
16 KB, 395x145
Ask me anything.
>>
>>322087341
Jesus christ. I'm at 500 hours and have been going back infrequently since 350. I can't imagine playing Warframe that much.
>>
Are 3/4th's of the frames still useless?
>>
>>322085407
Your level doesn't matter, you need to max out serration and the elemental mods ASAP. Any time you see an invasion mission where you fight 2/3 times for each side to get a reward, side against the grineer. It causes you to randomly get a boss encounter against the Gustrag 3 which drop the multi-shot mods.
There's no damage difference between a level 0 weapon and a level 30 weapon. But when you have all the mandatory mods you'll be hitting a hundred times harder.

>>322086983
The newest ones are just getting worse. Ivara takes argon crystals and alert only material that makes her the most difficult to build frame in the game. Just because of the time I have to play the game being out of synch with the alertium missions it'll probably take me another month or more to have the materials. The trap is even worse because you have one chance every 24 hours to get a part and only after finishing 3 stupidly hard missions and even then it's like 1/30 chance to get any parts, much lower to get one that isn't duplicate.
>>
>>322087471
Nah, a lot of the older frames have been buffed and most fill some kind of niche. The few that stand out as being bad just don't do X as well as another frame. Ember and Mag are pretty bad at the moment.
>>
>>322086983
they're not all like that, it's mainly
>find weapon or frame you want
>grind until you can purchase blueprint
>grind bosses and levels until you can build frame or weapon
>repeat
Although honestly I got bored by the time I built my first frame. Ember is pretty cool but not cool enough to entertain me until I could grind out another frame
>>
>>322087651
did they do anything noteworthy to excal or vauban?

the last change I remember was the nerf that stopped bastille from picking up an infinite number of enemies
>>
All the frames except Nehza and Ivara are piss easy to build.

The most important frames for missions
-Excalibur, Loki, Rhino, Valkyr, Mirage, Frost, Mag, Nova, and Trinity (Pick 3 or 4) are some of the easier to get.

Competitive weapons are also pretty easy to get without grinding (how hard is it to grab a Tonkor, Sonicor, and Broken War)

Mods: Yeah these are kind of a pain. Getting a maxed out serration is stupid fucking brutal for no reason.
>>
>>322087490
I gave up with Warframe when Vauban was introduced and the only possible way to obtain him was random alerts.

Fuck that shit.
>>
>>322087651
Even then mag is stupid good in Corpus Defense/Survival/inteception.
>>
>>322087917
Not too much changed in Vauban but Excalibur got a full rework.

Radial Javelin is a normal ability, Super Jump is gone, stat improvements all around, Radial Blind can be cast while moving and opens enemies to finishers, his ultimate summons an energy sword with its own combos that shoots energy waves.

He's easily my favorite frame in the game now. He's great.
>>
>>322087341
How's Nezha?
>>
>>322088251
Oh and those weapons that had a slight chance to drop when that one edgelord evil warframe decided to show up randomly too.

Fuck that also.
>>
>>322088271
Yeah Shield Polarize is great against Corpus. A shame her other abilities have fallen behind now.
>>
>>322088307
>Super Jump is gone

aw I loved that skill but I can see why they got rid of it
I also like the radial blind change, that used to be so annoying to me

I should reinstall and try him myself
>>
>>322088372
Yeah, and I was going to make Ash next but now he's a rare drop from maniacs. They're already hard enough to find.
>>
>>322085407

It's just mindless grind with very little purpose other than to grind some more.

If the game had objectives, and well designed, meaningful content it'd be significantly better. But it doesn't and it relies too heavily on randomly generated content and repetitiveness.

On top of that, it's just poorly designed in general (they've had to redesign several systems several times), and the balance is laughable to the point that 1-2 warframes and weapons from each category are even viable anymore (except melee, they're just not viable ever).

If it fixed these issues, it'd be a superior game to Destiny in every way. As it is right now, Destiny isn't very good, but playing it feels more meaningful than playing Warframe.
>>
>>322086485
>grind is fun
nope
mmo like grind is never fun.
>>
>>322088719
>meaningful

There is no meaning to video games other than entertainment. Just say it's not as fun, you'll sound significantly less retarded.
>>
is there an endgame beyond doing defense missions and air missions (why do remote controlled things need air again?) yet?
>>
>>322085407
>>322086983

I can't speak for the learning curve in warframe anymore because I remember they revamped it so newer players got a better introduction to the game. When I started it took a little while to understand what I was doing but its also because in the much older builds 3+ years ago the ui was incredibly minimal compared to what it is now; being just sets of menus instead of being able to walk around your own ship.

Warframe now has a fairly lengthy tutorial that guides you through the game and introduces you to the game piece by piece. What your posts tell me is that a) you aren't paying as much attention to the tutorial quests/missions of whatever theyre called now as you should be, but this is understandable because most people don't expect this lengthy an introduction for a f2p game, which gives me b) you clearly went into this game having a very different idea of what the game was going to be as opposed to what it really is, this isn't a bad thing its just something that happens when trying out new games.

The whole appeal and draw of warframe is that yes its an incredible grindfest but what sets it apart from other free to play grindfests is that once you have a few toys to play with and understand how the game works its a very shiny, fluid, and generally satisfying grinding experience. Everything is available to everyone with enough farming save a few super exclusive things that were for founding members only like the excalibur prime but it doesn't give any real mechanical advantage over anyone else. Hell, as I know it there are some frames you can't just straight up buy from the store even with the optional paid currency.

People compare it to destiny because the different weapons and frames you can grind out take a similar kind of effort to aquire but all function very differently giving longevity, but without the $60 base pricetag and comparatively pricey dlc expansions everyone says are basically required now.
>>
File: warframe operator.jpg (372 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
warframe operator.jpg
372 KB, 1920x1080
>You were a little girl on the moon the entire time and Lotus is your mom

10/10 story telling.
>>
>>322089041
Explain further on this bullshit.
>>
>>322088928

On a large enough scale, there is no meaning to anything. Why are you even alive? What effects on the universe will your existence have?

No need to act like some kind of douche. We're talking about video games, not the meaning of life here. Of course a video game has no meaning in the real world, but we're not talking about that, are we?

So let me explain. When I say meaningful I mean you are playing towards a goal. In Destiny, you have a storyline to follow, various quests to do and so on, and your grind ends up with you doing strikes and eventually raids. These are carefully designed experiences (they're shit, but they put in effort).

In Warframe you grind to make your numbers bigger. Why do you make the numbers bigger? So you can grind to make them even bigger. There isn't anything new or special to do once your numbers get big enough.
>>
>>322087917
Excalibur got a new 4 ability called Exalted Blade, which is fucking powerful as shit. For 25 energy, you equip a sword made of energy that does a metric fuckton of damage and each swing sends out a wave of energy where you aim that deals massive damage. I think it also drains something like 2.5 energy a second when unmodded, but with enough modding and luck you can use it for minutes on end. It also has a baby version of Radial Blind on its slide attack.
>>
>>322087341
I have 200~ hours (7 mastery) and can solo sortie missions easily. What is there even left to do?
>>
>>322089340
>In Warframe you grind to make your numbers bigger.

This can be your goal, sure. It can be your goal in Destiny, too.

In Warframe, you progress from completing the star map with your starter frame, to building new frames and weapons, to void maps of progressive difficulty and rarity, to nightmare missions, and probably more since I last played some years ago. These are carefully designed experiences, except they are wholly transparent.

Not trying to sound like a philosophical asshole, I just think calling a game more 'meaningful' to prove a point is particularly stupid way to phrase it. I think you meant to say that the distance between major goal posts is shorter in Destiny. It feels like you're getting to the next major accomplishment too slowly in Warframe to you.
>>
>>322089304
The newest quest reveals that the Warframes aren't suits, but more like a golem or something that is controlled by someone somewhere else, called an Operator. Not 100% sure on the Lotus being your mom thing.
>>
>>322087917
If you played back when Excalibur had Super Jump, then yeah, he's great now.

Gave him the ability to Excaliblast. He can now equip a sword that shoots waves and clears everything ever until your Engergy runs out. I don't know if they've touched Booben though, I've only got a couple hundred hours on the game.
>>
>>322085407
Where the fuck did you get korean from?
>>
File: warframe.jpg (563 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
warframe.jpg
563 KB, 1920x1080
>>322089304
Grineer awakened an ancient evil that turned out to be Lotus's dad. Lotus was originally part of the race that destroyed the Orokin but when she was supposed to kill you she hid you on the moon which was hidden in the void since she wanted kids but couldn't so she decided that you were her kid instead.

Lotus's dad decided to kill you himself so he possessed a sword and gave it to the stalker and they figured out where you were hidden. You then bring the moon out of the void since it's no longer safe and find your body that you had no idea existed.

You get your body on your ship then the Stalker teleports in and stabs your warframe and tries to kill you. But before he can do it your warframe moves on its own and breaks the sword which makes the stalker disappear and you get put on a big chair where you just hang out and talk to your warframe during missions.
>>
>>322089951

Alright, I'll put it another way.

Warframe is designed to either keep you grinding forever, or for you to spend money on it.

Destiny is designed for you to enjoy the experience (however bad it is at doing this).

There is nothing carefully constructed about the experience you'll have in Warframe. It's all random generation and once you've played a tileset a few times you've seen it all. It doesn't matter what lable or modifier you stick on it, you've done the exact same level with the exact same objective a million times before, the numbers just got bigger is all.

The only thing Warframe does well that Destiny doesn't is making different weapons feel actually different. It's a shame 98% of weapons in Warframe are in no way viable.
>>
>>322085671
lol noob

trinity prime master race represent
>>
>>322090220
newfag pls go away.
>>
>>322090358
You must not like Left4Dead very much.
>>
>>322089951
ya, totally agree with this dude. my main goal was to beat all the levels on each planet and that got me a ton of loot and weapon schematics. enough to look at the weapons i found and try em out.
>>
>Destiny killer
Nothing is going to kill Destiny for the forseeable future, as much as I want it dead. Activision spent too much money on it, and the community is too addicted for it to die any sort of natural death. It will continue to live on and you will continue to hear about it from your annoying friends who play like two video games a year.

On the topic of Warframe: I liked it but I haven't had enough time to both play it and work on other titles in my backlog, so I've let it sit for.. like six months, almost. It was decent when I left.
>>
>>322090047

lotus isnt your mom, lotus is a sentient that broke away from the sentients to...do something with the tenno and blah blah mysterious blah
>>
File: Loki Pro-me.png (800 KB, 879x1073) Image search: [Google]
Loki Pro-me.png
800 KB, 879x1073
>>322085671
>>322090456
get a load of these casuals
>>
>>322088348
I haven't gotten him yet, the RNG to get him is painful.

>>322089858
nothing, literally nothing.
Wait for the next update where DE nerfs something else, find some way to counteract that nerf, grind draco, grind the void, grind for focus,sorties then turn the game off and go back again the next day.

Atlas is kinda fun though
>>
>>322091131
>needs to go invisible like a bitch
>call others casuals

no blessing and energy vampire for you m8

got him too though lol
>>
currently approaching to korean grindfest
>>
>>322087341
Why?
>>
File: lewd.webm (2 MB, 576x324) Image search: [Google]
lewd.webm
2 MB, 576x324
>unironically liking warframe

Kill yourself.
>>
>>322091992
What movie is that. The sex/pain/bdsm leads me to a Hellraiser but i haven't seen em all.
>>
>>322091992
>whyboner.jpg
>>
>>322092301
I believe its Hellraiser 5.

I know that scene and thats the only Hellraiser I've seen.
>>
>>322091992
It's the best western online farming simulator out there

I haven't played many asian MMOs, so can't judge there
>>
File: 1450489463905.jpg (152 KB, 1825x788) Image search: [Google]
1450489463905.jpg
152 KB, 1825x788
>>322087191
There hasn't been a frame with really high armor since Chroma. Literally every frame since him has had less than 300 armor I think.
>>322085407
It's 100% grind. I reckon vets only play now because it's the best we got atm. There's nothing like it or better than it. Also buy weapon blueprint off the market or join a clan and use their dojo for clantech weapons.
>>
>>>/vg/126950000

New to the site? Please follow the above link, and familiarize yourself with the purpose of /vg/ and /vp/ before posting, thanks.
>>
File: 1449194266257.jpg (260 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
1449194266257.jpg
260 KB, 1366x768
>>322088348
Nezha is like Wukong in regards to him being really gimmicky and that other frames can do whatever he can better. 1 is useless, 2 does no dmg and is too slow to bother with tele when you have parkour, 3 is Iron Skin but without the ferrite armor modifier so it takes full dmg from all sources, and 4 is just soooo fucking slow and weak and bad.
>>
>>322092720
There isn't a warframe thread every day. With your logic maybe all Persona and Final Fantasy discussion should go to their gens.
>>
>>322087651
Ember is the primary damage dealer outside of sorties/raids except for Jordas Verdict. Ever since Saryn fell out anyways.
>>
>>322092693
Armor is subject to SEVERE diminishing returns.

Valkyr with max Steel Fiber + Armored Agility? She's still going to be shredded by level ~60-70 enemies.

The frames with the best survivability either aren't subject to aggression (Loki) or can heal and redistribute damage (Trinity).
>>
I feel like I'm just going to go back to Destiny. Warframe is too much drudgery and the gunplay isn't that tight.
>>
File: 1437195_orig.png (117 KB, 400x512) Image search: [Google]
1437195_orig.png
117 KB, 400x512
>>322093296
I never said armor was good. Also the correct chroma build can withstand oodles of damage cause he can raise his armor to outrageous levels. Also the best survivability is blinding the hell out of everything with mirage.
>>
>>322093570
Chroma's armor doesn't get much higher than Valkyr and still gets shredded by enemies around the same levels.

Best surivivability is Loki. Only stupid people disagree.

In Warfame Invisibility is effectively Invisibility.
>>
>>322093657
If you're reading it off the menu screen, Chroma's armor with mods is less than valks but vex armor boosts it by like 900% with max powerstr. Some guy did the calcs here.

https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/431756-sci-ants-comprehensive-chroma-armor-build-guide-in-depth-with-calculations-and-results/

22000 armor with the max str, steel fiber, vita, cold color build will stop most damage. Assuming of course your enemies can't do puncture or corrosive procs too often, then you're fucked.
>>
File: 1403571440900.png (97 KB, 594x466) Image search: [Google]
1403571440900.png
97 KB, 594x466
>Warframe
Fuck off with this garbage already, holy shit.
>>
>>322094408
I assume you have a better game to suggest to us then? Something free and fun?
>>
I recently picked warframe up again and I've been playing it everyday for the past month. Haven't played in two years and there is a ton of stuff to do. The thing with warframe for me personally is that there is a lot of variety and shit to grind. It's not the deepest game out there but it's not super shallow either. There really are no set "goals" you yourself set the goals. When I find myself getting bored of the game again I'll stop playing. They've done a good job at improving things. The grind is a bit shitty on some weapons and warframes but overall it's ok. I don't mind "grinding" for shit in games. I only have a problem with it when my time gets wasted on replaced gear but that happens in most games anyways. They don't seem to ruin shit constantly enough for me to be aggrivated about it. Hell all the shit I had farmed for 2 years ago was still pretty good when I came back.
>>
>>322094512
Play PSO2 or something, no idea what you want.
Hell, you might as well just keep playing this shit, just keep it in /wfg/ and away from /v/. It doesn't need any more players, it needs less.
>>
File: 1449136520815.gif (797 KB, 583x328) Image search: [Google]
1449136520815.gif
797 KB, 583x328
>>322094674
This

I personally play Warframe every major update, for like a month, try to grind out whatever I can, check out all the new stuff and move on

It's decent when you don't dedicate your entire life to it
>>
>>322088696
Do Law of Retribution, make Ash and millions of creds off the sets that drop.
>>
>>322087471
Excal got a neat rework
Got rid of his super jump
>>
>>322085407
>I have no idea how to get a new weapon
Probably because you are retard
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.