[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can an old fag explain why this game was such a big deal?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
Can an old fag explain why this game was such a big deal?
>>
It's just a dumb meme game, no one ever really liked it.

>shit graphics
>artificial difficulty
>pay per play bullshit
>>
>>322081371
Pretty much started the FGC as we know it today. This game established a lot of the core mechanics in fighting games today (combos, special attacks, super moves) and is a 25+ year old franchise.
>>
>>322081371
It was really the birth of the genre. There were other fighting games before, but they weren't the same. Street Fighter 2 is like the Starcraft of fighters. Sure there were other RTS before Starcraft, but Starcraft added so many staples and made it a household name. Street Fighter 2 did the same. Are new fighting games better than SF2? Almost definitely. I'd rather play KI, MKX, GGXrd, or SF4 before I play SF2, but I realize it's really the game that started it all.
>>
>>322081371
it was the only good fighting game at the time. also you had to be there when arcades was still alive
>>
>>322081862
Same guy here, but just wanted to say this.

>Artificial difficulty
A quarter circle forward is not that hard. Suck it up and keep trying.
>Shit graphics
The game is based on 25+ year old arcade technology. Of course it looks bad compared to games now.
>Pay per play
That's how arcades work. You pay to play and stay on until you lose. If you suck, you pay a little more than someone who doesn't. Suck it up.
>>
File: 1373706278107.jpg (153 KB, 650x650) Image search: [Google]
1373706278107.jpg
153 KB, 650x650
In the great arcade war, your grandchildren will wonder where you were. What will you tell them?
>>
>>322082075
This. It was old and actually played well. Nostalgiafags won't leave it alone though.
>>
>>322082201

Yo dude you mind if I save this pepe?
>>
File: 1450167223467.jpg (1 MB, 1400x1700) Image search: [Google]
1450167223467.jpg
1 MB, 1400x1700
>>322081371
Its Bloodsport: The Game.

And if you dont think that this is the dopest shit in the world then you need to fuck off.
>>
File: EU1sEsB.png (499 KB, 449x642) Image search: [Google]
EU1sEsB.png
499 KB, 449x642
>>322082045
>mfw ST is still better than MKX
>>
Are you talking about CE in particular, some other SF2 variant, or SF2 in general?
>>
>>322081371
>Buttons felt good
>Hitting someone felt good/looked good
>Graphics looked good
>Sounded great
>Rules really simple to follow, lifebar is life
>Competition, even low level friendly competition among family/friends
>Dude shoots fireballs from his hand
>It was the age of Mike Tyson, boxing/fighting was big fucking time and a huge deal with watch even if you hated boxing

Only underage don't know why SF2 was great, even though that is hyper fighting
>>
>>322081371
It was a tremendous mechanical feat. For arguably the first time a fighting game had proper animations, responsive controls, intelligent and strategic gameplay mechanics and a personality, most importantly. Also it didn't hurt that it looked great.

It was a first of it's kind as far as the arcades (and this in there heyday) were concerned and became a massive hit and so as soon as the home versions were announced (and intelligently, Capcom ported it to whatever would run it) the hype was monumental. Like "HL3 was announced", monumental. That most home ports were exceptional (are reviewed pointed as much) only helped cement SF2 as the most important game in the world (/Clarkson) for a long time.
>>
>>322084434
>first of it's kind
>it's
Urgh. I'm turning into one of *those* people.
>>
>>322081371
>tfw you share this website with children that have never set foot in an arcade
>>
>>322082180
>pay to play and stay until you lose
>playing as a kid once
>dazzling my friends by breezing through single player mode
>some older guy drops a quarter
>pushes my shit in
Thanks dick, you beat an eight year old.
>>
>>322084530
Have fun never making a mistake again.
>>
>>322084551
this is probably bait but

git gud
>>
File: 1446436665786.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1446436665786.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>>322084543
>tfw almost every arcade you used to go to either died or is filled exclusively with kooky japanese rhythm or dancing games
>>
>>322084752
Eight years old.

>>322084829
>tfw all you want is an arcade full of rhythm games
>tfw all you have are D&B and shit full of enlarged mobile games
>>
>>322084543
>tfw you are an old loser on 4chins
>>
>>322084829
>with kooky japanese rhythm

I wish. They look pretty neat.
>>
>>322085115
>Eight years old.
That's plenty of time to git gud
>>
>>322085338
>tfw you thought you'd stop being a loser once you grew up
>>
>>322084551
You're one salty motherfucker. He beat you, so you get to go away, age doesn't matter, he wanted a go and beat you for it, so he earned his go, git gud so you can beat him back or have a fit of impotent rage on 4chan over something that happened years ago.
>>
>>322081371
What the fuck is this SJW game? It has 8 non-whites in this game, what the fuck is this shit?
>>
>>322081371
>orange blanka
>green e.honda face paint
>>
>>322086346
Say what you will but it has teh most accurate depiction of HUEs in any videogame ever.
>>
File: image.jpg (64 KB, 499x402) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64 KB, 499x402
>>322084551
>nigga still saly over a 20 year old loss

Damn son
>>
>>322086346
i just noticed this game only has about 4 whites and ken is half japanese isn't he?
>>
>>322086524
Color palettes were a game selling feature for hyper fighting.
>>
I'd say that it was the catchy soundtrack, recognizable characters and great backgrounds that made it stand out from other offerings in the incipient arcade fighting game game. SF2 wasn't just a pretty game, it was a pretty game that made a lot of buzz and wasn't as immediately objectionable as, say Mortal Kombat. Not that it wasn't a great Boon for MK either but that's another beast.
>>
this was one of the best sf games and still is, it's one of my all time favorites

if you try it, please emulate the arcade version on mame or fightcade or whatever, it's the absolute best way to play it

Worst platform to play it on is sega genesis, they didn't port it too well
>>
File: dbl dbl ko_1.webm (2 MB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
dbl dbl ko_1.webm
2 MB, 620x320
>>322087598
That said, good luck with super turbo if you ever play it online
>>
File: Kosher salt.jpg (13 KB, 235x300) Image search: [Google]
Kosher salt.jpg
13 KB, 235x300
>>322084551
>>
>>322081371
Lets be real here for a second.

If we're talking about SF2 in general:

>Best art and sound on the market
>First time in a game that you can play as multiple characters that felt different. It was like having 7 games in one.
>Hard difficulty made it so that you were a local legend if you beat Bison.
>Two player competitive games were a thing, but Street Fighter 2 was the first arcade game to focus on that.
>Because it was an arcade game, and arcades weren't dead, there was always something to play.
>Your enjoyment of the game grew depending on how many people played at your local spot
>Gameplay was about beating your opponent, instead of struggling with RNG game mechanics. This hadn't been done properly since Joust.

But if we're talking about Hyper Fighting:

>Fastest SF2 game. Even faster than Super Turbo.
>Not as fast, or stupid, as the Hong Kong bootlegs (Koryu, Rainbow). Those were gimmick games people got sick of.
>Most balanced SF2 game
>Unlike Championship Edition, Capcom listened to feedback
>No super moves
>For OG players, this is the most fun game in the series. No frills, basic Street Fighter goodness, before super meters and extra mechanics weighed the game down.
>>
>>322084551
Not Street Fighter, but related.

>playing as a kid once
>6 years old
>by myself
>at an ice skating rink
>older kid steps up
>black leather jacket, spiked hair
>looked like a villain from a karate kid movie
>Tekken 1
>I pick Kazuya
>He picks Paul, obviously
>I only have one quarter, so if I lose, that's it
>I win.
>He puts in another
>I win again
>I beat him for around 2 dollars worth of his money on one play
>He finally beats me, and I leave

I lost, but held on to my one quarter for 8 times his quarters. I felt like Stone Cold Steve Austin not tapping out against Bret Hart that day; I lost in the end, but I won the emotional victory.
>>
File: 1352309440437.jpg (19 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1352309440437.jpg
19 KB, 480x360
>kept losing like 9/10 ranked battles a week or two ago but can finally put in some wins against other players on ranked
I asked for this feel.
>>
>>322081371
Oh man, where to begin. I'll do Street Fighter II in general though.
>Giant fuck-huge sprites that animated incredibly well for the time
>Multiple characters to choose from, all brimming with their own charm and style
>Tough computer that still (mostly) adhered to the same rules you did. They required thought and skill to beat
>First major fighting game. Back in the day when no one quite knew how to play, people were inventing new tricks and skills all the time
>Boss characters that DID break the rules of the game and required even more skill to beat
Awesome stages and music. This was one of if not the first games on the CPS1 system.
>Every character had secret special moves to learn and, if you weren't a slobbering idiot, those moves could be pulled off reliably.
>The arcade community was hype for it, which hyped up everyone else. It was like vanilla Street Fighter 4 except that NO ONE had ever seen this before.
>Blew the shit out of every pre-existing "fighting game" on the market at the time.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.