[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I know this is a really dumb question, but can I use PS3 controllers
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: Capture.png (269 KB, 706x563) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
269 KB, 706x563
I know this is a really dumb question, but can I use PS3 controllers to play Steam games without downloading anything?
>>
>>322078626
no, you need 3rd party software to make it work.
>>
You will need a special ds3, an adapter, and/or software.

There is one ps controller program that is bloated with malware and shit, and it's really hard to get it off your computer.

So be careful. Someone else can explain because I forgot the name of it.
>>
>>322078626
buy a 360 controller
quit crying about your thumb
>>
>>322078738
What software is the best?
>>
File: DSC05281.jpg (610 KB, 1600x1066) Image search: [Google]
DSC05281.jpg
610 KB, 1600x1066
>>322078626
Not directly, you need to install SCP, first result from Google. Alternatively get a bluetooth dongle and pair it for maximum wireless comfiness.

Source: me. I have been using it with great results. Sometimes the driver goes nuts and you need to pair it again.
>>
>>322078930
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFIqysSeD4
>>
>>322078885
is it ds3 tool
>>
>>322079119

Don't think so. It has some really gay name.
>>
>>322079168
oh shit is it motioninjoy
>>
>>322079168
>>322079119
motioninjoy.
>>
scp driver is best

http://emulation-general.wikia.com/wiki/SCP_Driver_Package
>>
>>322079059
Also OP, please consider getting an official controller, even if it's used. There's a good chance it will work for a while then start malfunctioning.
>>
>>322079274
Oh shit, thats the one I have
How do I safely uninstall/get a new program?
>>
>>322079106
Why does it say no MotioninJoy when he uses MotioninJoy drivers?
>>
I'd suggest a PS4 controller, they're pretty good, you can use ds4windows and make it work with any xinput game but by default it just werks.
And in some cases, but very rare the controller works natively.
The 2 games I know that work natively are black ops 3, which is perfect and no issues.
And fallout 4, which is a disaster, but you can tell it's supposed to work because The backlight changes colour when you turn your flashlight on and get in the T54 armour, but the control scheme uses xbox buttons and the controls are fucked.

tl;dr, the ps3 controller is irrelevant.
>>
>>322078626
There is a pretty simple and unintrusive driver install to get PS3 controllers to emulate 360 controllers.

Doesn't require running an actual program like that motionjoy or any of that scary crap, once you install the driver, the controller just goes.
>>
>>322078626
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/540743213120255925/
Go down until you see the post about SCP Driver package.

I've been using it for nearly a year and haven't had an issue.
>>
>>322079558
link please?
>>
Get SCP, it just makes PS3 controllers show up as 360 ones.

Don't use MotionInJoy because it's Chinese adware bullshit. BetterDS3 is more acceptable because it doesn't require MIJ's adware DS3Tool, but it still uses MIJ's trash-tier drivers that are a pain to remove and can cause controller issues and BSoDs on certain configurations.

And preferably get an official DS3 rather than a knockoff, you can find them for pretty cheap these days if you search around. I got one for $30 with a copy of the GoW Saga when I needed a replacement, and that's in Canuckistan where everything is more expensive because we have worthless Monopoly money.
>>
>>322079415
Reformat hard drive. Install gentoo.
>>
>>322078626
If you are going to buy a playstation controller buy the dualshock 4, its way comfier than 3, yes i use it to play steam games.
>>
>>322080017
Yeah I'd get USB connection sound freakouts on WIN XP and BSODs with the "betterDS3" stuff on my previous PC, it was real rough.

SCP is painless, the only issue I've ever had is the SCP service turning it's self off or just not working until I disable/enable it or reinstall it, but that's happened like once out of a year and it was probably not even it's fault.
>>
>>322079506

DS4 is pretty fucking great. DS4Windows gives a lot more options than you can really get with a DS3, and it has all kinds of useful functionality - using the trackpad as a mouse or as extra buttons, swapping between DirectInput and XInput, macro functions, shortcuts, swapping between different control setups/profiles on the fly, setting specific applications to launch with their own control settings, etc.

And as a minor convenience if you own an actual PS4 it doesn't fucking auto-pair and turn it on whenever you disconnect it from your PC, like the DS3 does for the PS3 (if you don't leave it turned off from the back).

The downside is that it's harder to find a DS4 for cheap than a DS3, and the DS4 has pretty poor battery life when using it wirelessly.
>>
>>322079331
yep, blutooth is fairly easy to set up too
>>
>>322079906
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
>>
>>322078626
I don't know why people never mention this, but you can plug and play your Dualshock 3, although with limited support. It's detected as DirectInput instead of XInput, so some newer games won't pick it up. Also, no axis will be detected so triggers will be on-off only and analog sticks won't work, but d-pad does.
>>
>>322079485
The drivers are not the problem, the actual program is. It's malware and you shouldn't use it.
>>
http://forums.pcsx2.net/Thread-XInput-Wrapper-for-DS3-and-Play-com-USB-Dual-DS2-Controller
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.