[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why this was a failure?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6
File: ded.jpg (214 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ded.jpg
214 KB, 1920x1080
Why this was a failure?
>>
Because it is another MMO trying to attract the same audience as the rest of them.
>>
Generic mmo. I died of boredom playing this shit. But the races were good.
>>
It was boring as hell.

Mmos are generally dead. Wow and Ffxiv are the only healthy ones and they are bleeding subs hard. No idea how Destiny is now.
>>
It tried to be hard like vanilla WoW but failed.
>>
>>322057319
>>322057735
Same as them. Tried the beta, got bored after a couple of hours after the new game excitement went away. Mmos just don't cut it for me anymore. Many people just treat it as single player rpgs rather than multiplayer games.
>>
Tried too hard to be an mmo "like they used to be" but didn't really understand what made that good.

The attunment system was so overcomplex it was absurd. Learning about it literally killed my desire to play.
>>
File: 1440961256801.jpg (1 MB, 4751x3086) Image search: [Google]
1440961256801.jpg
1 MB, 4751x3086
>>322058273
It's weird despite having people from old WoW working on it.
>>
Piss poor attempts at humor, cringy dialogue, hit/miss artstyle, gameplay was basically just WoW in space.
The combat was kinda cool in the beginning but after a while seeing your character do 5 backflips and a 720 degree spin while performing regular abilities got old really fast.
Default UI was also abysmal.

Only thing I liked was the sound design.
>>
>>322057319
Only thing it did well was the races.
>>
I couldn't get into the lore. Too cartoony.
>>
>>322057040
its hard to pin down, but it just didnt have that ephemeral quality that makes you want to keep playing. Back in the day i could play WoW for days at a time, and i can still do that with GW2 or FF14, but for some reason wildstar is just lacking in the "makes me want to play it" department.

Not a very satisfactory answer i know, but thats how i felt about it
>>
>>322057040
MMO's are a dying genre. Seriously they should have just made it an rpg, with romanceable alien girls. Shit works for Mass Effect.
>>
i tried the F2P, didnt care much about the lore, thought the UI is cluster fucked at first, but over all i liked the gameplay, but just didnt have enough to keep me interested over other games and over time i just forgot about it
>>
the core problem with nearly all modern design is the ability to enemy ratio is way too high

there should be about 2-5 enemy types or enemy actions for every player ability

unfortunately this is always designed backwards, and is the reason why raids are the only relevant PvE encounters, since they are closer to correct gameplay design
>>
>>322057040
Buggy client
Same dull MMO gameplay
No polish
Immersion-breaking announcer
20+ hours before first dungeon
>>
>>322061728
>20+ hours before first dungeon
What, did you spend the whole time grinding for loot of garbage mobs? It's about 2-3 hours max to the first dungeon if you just quest.
>>
Bad netcode (the only thing I saw improve during the beta was the server constantly booting you with an error code when it got overloaded)

Bad optimization. A million complaints about how a game that looks arguably barely better than World of Warcraft performed SO MUCH WORSE.

UI is shit. Seriously, I don't know why the UI guy kept his job, unless their UI guy was pulling double-duty doing some other development task. Half the Carbine shit was broken and leaked memory and nameplates didn't even work when it launched. Whoever had that job was doing NOTHING besides cashing in his paycheck.

falling for the HARDCORE meme. Let me give you a big protip: when an MMORPG player says they want a hardcore game? They don't. They're looking at the past through nostalgia-tinted glasses. Attunement was bullshit ain't nobody had time for. We knew Attument for raids was SHIT since EverQuest forced hundreds of players to go through tedious, time-consumptive Attunement tasks. Back then SOE devs had never actually tuned or itemized or completed the encounters, so they had to use time-locks to halt player progression. Carbine did the same thing.

Class balance was shit. That makes PvP shit by default. Also, War Plots never worked and the only reason they were "implemented" (I doubt one ever actually popped) was because one of their out-of-touch management asshats lied through his teeth claiming they already had EBIN 40v40 PEEVEEPEE. The devs who actually were working on the game? That was news to them!

Carbine's management were all around seemingly just terrible. They split from Blizzard and over-promoted themselves into positions they couldn't handle.

I guess they managed to suck 9 years or so worth of investment bucks out of NCSoft, so that's pretty cool though. Solid paychecks for nearly a decade is livin' the dream.
>>
>>322062627
>Attunement for raids was SHIT
Generally, no. Specifically, yes.
If it involves doing a difficult dungeon PERFECTLY, it's bad.
If it involves collecting a fucking ton of *insert rare item here* it's bad.
If it involves killing *insert legendary world boss that spawns once a week here* it's bad.
If it involves capping a craft skill, it's bad.
If it involves exploring large swathes of land for something specific that randomly changes places daily, it's bad.
If it involves being able to clear all the other major end-game content, I.E. all the dungeons you did while lvling but at max lvl difficulty, just clearing them, then it's acceptable.
What most devs do is total shit, so I mostly agree.

Rest of your post is perfect.
>>
>>322057040
Because it fell for the vanilla WoW nostalgia meme and thought people actually wanted to play games like that anymore.
>>
File: Failure.jpg (93 KB, 620x468) Image search: [Google]
Failure.jpg
93 KB, 620x468
>40 man raids in 2015
>40 man PVP raids in 2015

Also something about literally every spell being AoE rubbed me the wrong way
>>
>>322064078
>every spell being AoE
There were some that were projectiles.
>>
File: dix.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dix.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
>Be medic
>Heals only heal 5 people
>You do not get to pick these 5 people
>Raid bosses require whole raid to be tightly packed
Why
>>
Did anyone rip the models? I only wanted that new Kit Brinny model.
>>
>>322064343
Were you playing Slinger, Medic, or Esper healer?
>>
>>322065148
Nvm, I'm dumb. Esper is the raid healer. Medic and Slinger are tank healers, specifically aimed for heavier heals instead of bigger heals.
>>
I stopped playing about a month into f2p, during the Halloween stuff. Did the game maintain its population if I wanted to come back?
>>
>Charge a sub fee when WoW already exists
>"Don't worry we'll be doing monthly content updates, this game will be worth the sub!"
>Get fuck all done for six months

WoW has filled the niche
EVE is a world unto it's own
FFXIV is only still up because SE has low standards for success
Never trust a game with subs
>>
>>322059490
and the music. I also dug the 'transmog' system. otherwise yeah, generic garbage
>>
>>322065707
I think people play WoW because of.. whatever that gambling thing is, sunk cost. They already have 160 mounts and 10k faggot points and 130 pets. The idea of restarting for a game that's not earthshatteringly new is scary, because all of the time in WoW will be 'lost'.

If WoW died and Wildstar was able to get good sub numbers and push out an expac I think it'd be an amazing game.
>>
>>322067623
People shit all over WoW but the fact of the matter is they've found the forumla that works for most of the market and at this point they've pretty much mastered it.
>>
>>322057040

There is more shit to do in this world. MMOs used to fill idle time that would otherwise be spent on TV.

People don't want to grind anymore, even if the grinding is unique and different. People bought the game because of the mechanics, but it didn't keep them subbed.
>>
These guys were cute I dont care if you disagree.
>>
File: 1402701079679.png (314 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1402701079679.png
314 KB, 700x700
writing was poor; the raids were great, but the roster boss defeated my guild. levelling was a total chore; really just horrible. pvp was totally broken, every patch introduced new game-breaking bugs (for about THREE MONTHS my class' cooldowns were not accurately represented by the castbar if you had a certain CD mod equipped), poor optimization and poor class balance. really just too little too late to save the game. super-unfortunate, too; the phagelabs were great, and my friend who joined another guild after ours disbanded said datascape was super-fun, too. they just walled off the good stuff behind a slog, and failed to stay on top of their game. could've used another year of development before release.
>>
>>322068030

Also, once they unsubbed coming back was horrible. If you hadn't been grinding your weekly points, you'd always be behind relative to another player who hadn't. The game was effectively locked off to you.

This also applies to characters that were rolled later or didn't hit level cap before the points were introduced.

It was supposed to keep you subbed because you wouldn't want to fall behind and lose "progress", but what actually happened is that people were behind from the start, and were disinfranchised.
>>
It just feels cheap. I had a lot of fun getting to 50 and doing the end game hard mode dungeons and holy shit some of them were hard as fuck. Literally considered miniraids.

But cash shop mounts every week, and event mounts they only release for 2 days so be a good goyim and buy now! Because they'll never be available again! 1 use cash shop housing plots, 1 character only mounts when literally every other MMO gives you every cash shop mount on all characters.

They went full shekle but its still fun and a good game. If you can get past terrible optimization and cash shop mounts every week. Also the runing system is complicated for no reason and its considered half your stats.
>>
If you're an MMO doing anything close to what WoW is doing, you're set for failure. The new direction MMO gaming is going is this pseudo-MMO type game where the only MMO aspect is the hub world, while the rest of the world where you fight is instanced.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.