[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>steammachines are bombing >steamOS is a failure >steam
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10
File: for the glory of satan.webm (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
for the glory of satan.webm
1 MB, 1280x720
>steammachines are bombing
>steamOS is a failure
>steam controller is garbage
>massive steam user information leak
>shit customer support
>steamsales have been terrible this past year

How do you feel about Steam now? Do you use it out of necessity to play your games, or do you actually like the service Valve provides? If someone else would provide a similar service but better, would you move over?
>>
>>322052154
>>steamsales have been terrible this past year
Steam sales have been trash since like 2011
>>
steammachines are made by third party manufacturers and have no marketing
steamOS is a fully fonctionnal linux distro with steam and shitloads of games ported over
steam controller is fucking god tier you mongoloid fuck
shit happens in the sysadmin world and it's not the last fuckup you'll see at a bigass tech company ( remember heartbleed?)
customer support is shit yeah because the actual devs are doing support but afaik they're in the process of opening a division just for it
steamsales are shit to you because you've already grabbed all the AAA games for peanuts the past year you dingus

god I swear you hypocrites need a reality check
>>
File: 14512613.png (42 KB, 623x427) Image search: [Google]
14512613.png
42 KB, 623x427
>>322052834
You can't deny they've hit a new low in 2015.
>>
>>322052154

>mods on /v/. webbum

Indifferent to steam. It does what it's supposed to do, good and bad.
>>
All this shit is irrelevant to me. The reason I lose a bit of respect for Valve every year is the lack of video games being developed by this video game developer.
>>
something I don't care about is bombing?
>steamOS is a failure
and I still use windows
keyboard, mouse and ps3 pad work well for me
it was almost nothing
>shit customer support
almost everything has shit customer support, only exceptions are small things that want to be big but will not improve the customer support, just shit on it
for several years actually

I wouldn't swap to a new service unless they have much cheaper games, a tiny decrease in price is not worth the time to change.
>>
>massive
>34k
kek, like 1% of online users at that time
>>
>>322053656
Do they even have a proper gamedev team nowadays? Probably just a few dudes fiddling with the next iteration of the engine.
>>
>>322053572
Thats for the best, they were good at first but awful the last few years and not worth the time to wait for.
>>
>>322052154
No advertising
>steamOS is a failure
Because no one who likes games wants linux
People who like linux don't want games
Wrong
Shit happens
>shit customer support
No worse than MS or Sony
You already have all the games you want
>>
>>322053878
No, they just hire a studio to make their games and then they bug fix them and add content here and now. They're kinda like a modern Enix.
>>
>>322054315
>they just hire a studio to make their games
>implying they have games they want to be made
>implying they don't just buy out devs that have promising projects and horribly restrain their creativity and timeschedule to pump out an unfinished game quickly
>>
>>322054582
Left for dead, CS and portal. They're going to pump a new one out in the next 10 years for sure.
>>
File: 1336933622901.gif (7 KB, 92x128) Image search: [Google]
1336933622901.gif
7 KB, 92x128
>>322054234
You're an Idiot

>>322052154
Steam is bad. I remember MSN giving you the ability to customize emoticons, and use them from any source. Neither Skype (which is at least free) nor Steam (takes 40% revenue share) seem to provide these functions. Instead we get retarded levels, cards, and backgrounds/emoticons Steam ALSO gets a share.

The only reason why I use it, is because there are no other options.
>>
File: 1414483360421.jpg (65 KB, 628x602) Image search: [Google]
1414483360421.jpg
65 KB, 628x602
Steam Beta Hardware Participant here, basically steam gave me a steammachine to try out, I was one of those lucky 300 and have my own little silver ring on the fan exhaust on the exterior of the machine. Initially half my fucking games on steam didn't work, and those that did (Metro 2033 for instance as it was the first game I could think of that I would notice graphic changes and response) had limited options, I mean I'm talking from Metro's list of normal PC graphic options to SHADOWS [OFF MED HIGH] as opposed to high/very high/ultra. The games looked worse cause of these limited options so I installed Windows. Fuck SteamOS. And the initial controller sucked too you could barely play the supported games cause it didn't respond, I switched to KB/M for bastion cause the controller couldn't get past the menu and the controls were awful when the controller actually worked.
>>
>>322054854
>Using Steam as a chat client
You're the idiot here
>>
>>322055042
pics or gtfo
don't forget the timestamp
>>
File: image.jpg (143 KB, 908x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143 KB, 908x720
>>322054854
Haha nothing to say to >>322054234 ?

Good one anon. If you want to argue, think of a counter beforehand, mk babe?
>>
>>322055042
just wanna say they also gave me a fuckton of games to try out too and I'm on it now as I have been for the past two years cause it came with a 970, 16g of ram, and 1tb that blew my 7950 with 8g and 1tb out of the water. But I can't customize it so I use both.
>>
Even if Gaben dies and something drastic happens to the company that makes it universally hated or something, I can't see Steam losing it's monopoly any time in the future, especially considering the amount of games on the platform and the investment a lot of people put into their steam accounts.
>>
>>322055096
No, still you.
>>
>>322052154
I've disliked Steam for quite a while now and basically only use it out of necessity or the fact that most games are on there. Can't exactly go the shop and buy a PC game disc, because you're automatically forced to download that game off store because the disc has nothing on it. If there were a better similar service like Steam, I would gladly use it. Too bad it's likely that service will be corrupted by their own greed too. But hey, atleast Steam is fucking way better than Origin.

Anyway, I doubt we'll see anything replacing Steam for quite some time.
>>
File: okay.jpg (22 KB, 398x500) Image search: [Google]
okay.jpg
22 KB, 398x500
>>322055760
>n-no u!
Okay kid
>>
>>322055864
>If there were a better similar service like Steam, I would gladly use it.
GoG
>>
Nah.

Steam itself is fine. I use it because I like it. It's actually more convenient for me to buy the game off of Steam than pirate it, and I think that says a lot.

Steam OS is alright, but not something I don't think I'd ever use.

Steam machines bombing and the steam controller being not very good does suck, but it's systemic if making big risks. They failed, but that doesn't mean they're a bad company, that just means they took a risk and it didn't pan out. If they bet the farm on it and lost, then yeah, they would've been retarded, but they're still doing alright for themselves.
>>
File: Steam Muh Sheeve.jpg (4 MB, 5312x2988) Image search: [Google]
Steam Muh Sheeve.jpg
4 MB, 5312x2988
>>322055251
>>
>>322056141
GoG barely has the games I want to play and I'm already using it. I have no idea why people keep mentioning it like people on this board have no clue what GoG is. But thanks anyway.
>>
>>322056627
noice
what's the specs ?
>>
>>322056706
just saying more support for GoG would be great because no DRM
>>
>>322056816
That's exactly why there's no support
>>
>think of a counter beforehand
My apologies. You're right of course.
Statements like "Wrong" and "shit happens" surely deserve more attention and a witty response.
>>
I don't give a shit about stupid nonsense like their controllers and OS. It doesn't effect me.
The only problem I have with Steam is that they allow indie garbage to be sold. That shit should never be on steam. It brings down the entire system. I have to look trough complete trash to find good games and I always have to look out for bad games, I can't just buy something that looks interesting, I have to do my research. That's the problem with Steam.
>>
I mostly like Steam. It's convenient and easy to use. The steam user information leak wasn't even a big deal.

I don't really care about steam controller or steam machines. Maybe I'd buy the controller one day, but I doubt it.

I just wish Valve would make cool shit again.
>>
File: FOR FREE.png (599 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FOR FREE.png
599 KB, 1920x1080
>>322056768
>>
>>322052154
Yeah Steam is shit. In the past it was excusable because it provided an interesting way to maintain a games library (in an age where downloading games was't the norm), but now it's just fucking terrible and should have never become as big and powerful as it is. The majority of PC players that use it are held by the balls with very few alternatives.
>>
The Steam machines were an absolute trainwreck.

When they were first announced, I (and I'm pretty sure the rest of the civilized world) were expecting maybe two or three standardized devices. Something with the ease of access and ease of use of a console, but the granularity of a PC. A set-top box that was the best of both worlds. Something that I don't think I'd buy for myself, as an owner of a high-end gaming PC, but something that could really help PC gaming in the long run.

What we ended up with was exactly the opposite. You've got a clusterfuck of steam machines that work toward no easily seen system standard, and they're actually far more expensive than simply building or even buying a gaming PC of your own. You could even argue they're even more opaque than standard PC gaming because some steam machines even hide their real specs from the end user, making it impossible to know what will run and what won't. It's really kind of depressing.
>>
>>322052154
I think steam is really over rated but I buy games every now and then Im fine with it
>>
>>322057119
>I can't just buy something that looks interesting, I have to do my research. That's the problem with Steam.

That was ALWAYS the case though. It's actually better on Steam, because even if you buy a dud, you can still return it. Back in the day, when all PC games came on discs, everyone was so paranoid about piracy that that was never an option.
>>
File: Unosuke the gunfighter.jpg (78 KB, 934x503) Image search: [Google]
Unosuke the gunfighter.jpg
78 KB, 934x503
>>322052154
Best girl
>>
The biggest problem with Steam is that their business model and the way they handle their service has become cancerous to gaming. Every 9 year old autist goes on steam and buys retarded early access memes and garbage indie games because that is the new culture around gaming. Its become pretty polar between that and rehashed tacticool shooter games+muh cinematics. Most people who play games now fall into one of those two categories, with most on PC being the kind that play CSGO and Dota to flll in the gaps between buying shitty ports of shitty weeb games. Valve are some of the worst money-grubbing fucks in games now. How can their customer service be so shit? I mean I get they don't have as many employees as other big companies, but does anybody there even know how to make games anymore? They put all their effort into lubricating as much money from the pockets of retarded teenagers and unsuspecting parents, and don't even make products anymore.
>>
>>322052154

Steam is fine. Valve owes us an apology for the cache fuck up and should put stuff into place so something like this doesn't happen again to make up for it. Really it didn't hurt anyone as far as I know though, just scared a bunch of people on Christmas and may allow for social engineering.

To answer the question "if someone had a better service would you use it?" Fucking duh, why wouldn't I? Changing services isn't going to dumb all my steam library into the trash or anything.

Also steam sales are pretty much the same as before, the steam store is just fucking shit at showing you the good discounts and you have to keep a wishlist of games to actually see shit you want.

Also I feel like valve is going to play the long game with steam machines and they might be a big thing at some point but I don't really care since I would rather just play on my desk top.
>>
File: 1386645924647.gif (1009 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
1386645924647.gif
1009 KB, 500x280
>MFW Steam will NEVER EVER do any cool christmas event where you can get christmas themed achievements in all the different games you have bought and get coal to exchange for new games ever again.

just kill me
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.