[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any games like this ? How is the evil within?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11
I abolutely loved the combat ,guns, pacing , variety and bosses in RE4
>>
>>322030143
Every RESI game afterwards.
They're all far inferior to RE4 though.
TEW was shit too.

Try the Cold Fear. It's on PC too.
>>
>>322030143
TEW was the best horror action game since RE4
if you're a fan of RE4, then its a must play
>>
Loved evil within
>>
>>322031702
I'm very fond of both RE4 and original SH games, and I considered TEW just generic and unimaginable shit.

Forced stealth sections and level-up systems should be banned from most genres.
>>
>>322030143
>Are there any games like this ?

Many

>How is the evil within?

Like pic related, but not as good.
>>
>>322032175
>Many

Which are the best?
>>
I like Dead Space 1 and 2
>>
>>322030143
The Evil within is a good action horror, but don't expect it to top RE4 tho. Also make sure you learn all the little gameplay tricks like using matches effectively. Also be careful of your stat building. Depending on your choices you can make the game even harder on yourself. And last but not least, don't play it like RE4. Enemies rarely drop ammo so play it slower and a lot smarter. Do things like when there's multiple enemies, shoot one in the leg next to another and then use a match. It will not only burn the one the ground but the other guy standing next to him.
>>
>>322030143
Evil Within is pretty similar in terms of gameplay, but it's also tougher and has some elements of stealth added to it.
The story is more similar to Silent Hill than RE though.

Evil Within isn't perfectly executed, but it is a very enjoyable game, especially if you liked RE4. I played it and the DLC for it this year and I personally consider it one of the best games I played this year (and I beat about 20 games this year).

Also other similar games would be Dead Space 1&2 which are both great games.Don't bother with 3, it's bad in terms of gameplay and ruins the plot, gives a terrible send-off to the series.

Then you have games with either good gameplay, FPS view, solid story, etc. but not really complete packages.
>>
>>322030143
Dead Space was the true sequel to RE4. Try that and Dead Space 2. You can skip the third game.
>>
>>322030143
Resident evil 5 is more cheesy but good not as good as re4 though. Re 6 sucked giraffe dick. Re revelations 1 was really good and had the re4 feel to it. Re revelations 2 sucked. The evil within was fucking amazing and better than re4 inception on meth
>>
>>322035652
>Re revelations 1 was really good and had the re4 feel to it.

No
>>
>>322030143
Just like it? No. But in the vain there is Shadows of the Damned and the Evil Within.

Both are flawed but a fuck of a lot of fun. Buy a used copy and make sure you like it before you invest. They shouldn't be too expensive, though, so not much risk any way.
>>
>>322035652
>REv2 not the best RE since RE4.
>>
>>322031250
just play re5. it's the exact same game
>>
Alan Wake is also somewhat similar.
>>
>>322031250
colf fear really tries to be RE4 but not even half good.

As many are saying go for Dead Space 1 and 2. action and horror are pretty well done and they are fun to play. But you really should skip 3 or you gonna think the whole serie is shit
>>
>>322036512
Except with shittier atmosphere, setting, weapons, bosses, music, supporting characters and enemies.
>>
>>322035652
I love revelations 1
played story and raid without playing anything inbetween which is very fucking rare
why does revelation 2 blows
please anon
please respond
>>
>>322037154
Because you have shit taste.
>>
File: IMG_0196.jpg (17 KB, 216x216) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0196.jpg
17 KB, 216x216
>>322034383
pretty much this. i really loved the aspect of limited ammo in these types of games. not because of muh dfficulty but it actually makes you not play like a fucking retard and go rambo on alk guys you see. Though in some sections youre fucked if you are low on ammo. its a flaw but agaib, its really based on playstyle and playing smart.

this game really puts the best to run rather than fight tip to use. while it did drag on and story did a huge 180, its a solid good action horror game.

what re6 should have been. gameplay wise minus the stealth.
>>
>>322037020
thanks for the hot opinions m8. it's the same game
>>
I loved TEW. Had great fun with it and it was far more challenging than RE has been lately. You even have to conserve ammo and there's no overpowered melee to coast on for the whole game. However the game lacks the technical polish of RE4 but not to the point it affects gameplay. Story is also pretty meh and just a vehicle for the multiple settings. Didn't appreciate the cliffhanger ending either.
>>
>>322037318
well fucking funny now i ruffed and rused what next
you tell me witcher 3 and undermeme are good games you nigger
can normies please already fuck off
holy shit telling you the same fucking shit everyday you fucking little insectious brats gets really mad boring really fast and now die or sth i dont really care im doing this shit for too fucking long shitty anal being
>>
File: 1439221153543.png (1 MB, 902x959) Image search: [Google]
1439221153543.png
1 MB, 902x959
Derek, just buy it. You're a long dick union boy.
>>
>>322037981
would fug
>>
>>322030143
try dead space 1 and 2
it's the closest you can get to RE4 in terms of gameplay
just start with highest difficulty available because otherwise it's easy as shit
>>
I really loved RE4 and I also really love TEW, but reception is pretty mixed on it.
>>
>>322030143
The Evil Within is good, but it focuses a bit more on horror than RE4, meaning you have less ammo, you need to relie on burning corpses to conserve ammo, use stealth a few times, disarm traps and run from certain boss monsters. There aren't any supplex moves either.

But I like it a lot, it's a good game and the DLC is fucking amazing.
>>
>>322032061
...RE4 has a Level-up system too - or did you miss all the yellow herbs and weapon-upgrading?
>>
>>322037881
Mechanics wise, yes. (Which also one of the problems, more the same is not for good sequel. )

Execution wise, it's a different game with much different mind set.
>>
File: rerev2 2015-02-26 20-19-59-724.jpg (420 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
rerev2 2015-02-26 20-19-59-724.jpg
420 KB, 1440x900
>>322030143
Shadows of the Damned and the two new Resident Evil: Revelations games are good too.
>>
>>322038065
This.

Dead Space is basically Resident Evil 4 in space.
>>
>>322032061
>I'm very fond of both RE4 and original SH games, and I considered TEW just generic and unimaginable shit.
How so? There's a bunch of homages to Shinji's past work, but that was intentional. Even commented on by the characters in game.
>>
Delusional fans will disagree, but RE 5 is RE 4 improved in almost every way

>inb4 muh setting/atmophere
RE 4 was ugly and it all looked the same anyways

RE 5 still looks great thanks to details, is the same game with co-op

RE 4 with co-op is like a dream to any RE 4 fan, but most of them think that RE 4 was a "horror game" and stupid shit like that

So I would recommend that, and also RE 6
People shit on it, but it's pretty awesome
Maybe google the controls before playing it tho
You can actually pull of counter attacks in that game, some other crazy shit too
It's neat

Revelations 1 and 2 are trash
I wouldn't touch that luke-warm garbage
Ignore people who recommend that trash

Evil within felt to me, like a worse RE 4, which is an old fucking game but evil within somehow feels more clunky
>>
>>322038454
the two can't compare at all you dumbass, TEW gives you the most pointless generic RPG trope skills, while in RE4 you generally have to explore or decide what to upgrade so you don't waste your psetas, and I'm talking about your first playthrough where you don't know how to make max dosh right out of the gate.
>>
>>322038065
Dead space 3 was also pretty good
No reason to leave it out
>>
>>322039243
>Delusional fans will disagree, but RE 5 is RE 4 improved in almost every way

The co-op by default makes it inferior. It basically forces you to play with someone else or get annoyed over the terrible AI constantly.

Level and game design is also overall inferior in RE5. It feels like a game made by people that don't understand what made RE4 great, but merely tried to copy it.
>>
File: 43567777.jpg (11 KB, 275x243) Image search: [Google]
43567777.jpg
11 KB, 275x243
>>322039243
>Shits on everything
>Likes RE5 and 6
Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>322039256
>TEW gives you the most pointless generic RPG trope skills

Knowing what to upgrade is pretty important. You're also saying that a barebones and very shallow upgrade system (like in RE4) is better than the one in TEW.
>>
>>322039618
Why do people always use this stupid argument when they hating on re 5?

>Level and game design is also overall inferior in RE5. It feels like a game made by people that don't understand what made RE4 great, but merely tried to copy it.

Okay
What do you mean by that?
Explain yourself

What makes the level and game design of RE 5 bad?
Why is re 4 level and game design better than re 5?

I agree with the co-op part
>>
>>322039531
>No reason to leave it out

Apart from the fact that not only is the gameplay worse in every single aspect (setting, design, balance, etc) but the story just took a nosedive and makes the series end on a sour note.

You're better off stopping at 2 and coming up with your own ending. That way you end the series on a high note.
>>
>>322039708
RE 5 and RE 4 are pretty much the same game
If you like one but hate the other, you're either bipolar or delusional
Just the kind of person I mentioned in my post
>>
>>322039817
So I guess that's why I didn't even bother to upgrade anything in TEW until the last chapter because they're just as shallow as RE4, shut the fuck up your retard, you have no idea what you're talking about, the skills in TEW are absolutely useless and don't feel like they are worth it because they barely help you, while in RE4 one upgrade on weapon and you can feel a difference. Did you even play these games anon?
>>
>>322035652
>Re revelations 1 was really good and had the re4 feel to it.

Fuck no it didn't. Well okay, maybe a tiny little bit, but only the ship segments and only rarely.
>>
>>322040054
>RE 5 and RE 4 are pretty much the same game
See >>322038468
>>
>>322040025
Making your own weapons is fun as fuck
>setting, design, balance
Nice buzzwords
I never cared for the retarded story in dead space
I mean the first game's story is pretty basic but that's okay

The best "story" in the whole if dead space serious is actually in dead space 3, the way playing co-op reveals the story of that secondary character is awesome
Pretty awesome when Issac starts going fucking crazy too

But yea, garbage
>>
>>322039256
No, you don't need to explore to upgrade shit in RE4, which makes it the better game.

And if you do feel like upgrading shit for keks, you can buy a MAP that tells you where shit is.

The hidden upgrades in TEW were hidden in the most backassward places you would never think to look, AND you don't have the luxury of a map, and on the hard difficulty you need those upgrades.
>>
>>322040225
I asked you to explain yourself, not link to a post that's more cryptic than your buzzwords
Just sad
>>
File: 1225672050984.jpg (186 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
1225672050984.jpg
186 KB, 600x800
>>322039243
>RE4 was ugly
>RE5 still looks great

So your first console was Xbox 360 ?
Fantastic opinion kid.
>>
>>322040639
Someone's triggered
Kill yourself
>>
>>322040212
>barely help you
Nigger did we even play the same game? Not sure if it's even possible to beat without stamina upgrades
>>
>>322039932
>Why do people always use this stupid argument when they hating on re 5?

How the fuck is it stupid, idiot? It has forced co-op with a god awful AI parter.
In what dimension does this enhance the RE4 experience? Even fucking Dead Space 3 implemented co-op better since it wasn't forced on you.

>Okay
>What do you mean by that?
>Explain yourself

Precisely what I said. Do you even know what things like level design is? Do I need to explain basic game concepts to you?

Take Salazar's castle for example. What part of RE5 is as well made in terms of level design as that?
Or fuck take the first village part of RE4 and compare it to the first village part of RE5. Not only is this a blatant (and bad) copypaste (down to even spawning the strong notzombie guy) of the intro of 4, but you're already far more limited in your options.
>>
I just want to point out that RE6 is underrated as fuck now.

Yes the game doesn't explain everything correctly.

Yes the story is pretty retarded

But nevertheless the game itself is incredibly fun. Learn to slide and it's a blast.
>>
>>322040896
I agreed with you about the co-op part fuck face

>Precisely what I said. Do you even know what things like level design is? Do I need to explain basic game concepts to you?

So you're avoiding the question entirely, than you drop a level drop RE 4, call it good, name one from RE 5, call it shit
What an insightful post
You're worthless
I don't know why you bothered replying when you can't even explain yourself properly
>>
>>322041304
Yes re 6 is damn fun
The story is nuts, but somehow pulls it off

Has the best mercenary mode too, thanks to those awesome moves you can pull off

Also, does everyone hate Ada Wong's campaign?
I see nobody even mention it
>>
>>322036512
>>322037881
RE5 is RE4 with all the fun and style ripped out.
>>
>>322041784
Buzzwords: the post
>>
File: 1319320409197.jpg (7 KB, 212x204) Image search: [Google]
1319320409197.jpg
7 KB, 212x204
>>322040446
>Making your own weapons is fun as fuck

For a little while until you make some broken as fuck weapons that makes combat a snorefest.
Game balance is trown out the window.

>Nice buzzwords

They're objective facts.
Since I mentioned balance already, let's elaborate.
In 1 and 2 each weapons was balanced and tweaked to make the enemies challenging. They were made to feel diverse and interact with each necromorph in a meaninfgul way. Every single weapon was designed with the differenct necromorphs in mind. Especially when it came to stuff like dismemberment (core part of the gameplay from the very inception).

In 3 that was thrown out the window, balance was sent flying all over the place since they had to try to balance all these different variables and combinations to not only interact with necromorphs, but human enemies. Enemies that were supposed to create panic in numbers or something could be made irrelevant with a single button press by making a force gun with an acid effect or something. Balancing the enemies properly is a nightmare since you do not know what kind of weapons the player will have.
Then we have the entire issue with the human enemies. They were thrown into a system that was never designed for human enemies. Poor coversystem mechanics (in a series were cover was never even considered), no dismemberment system (and on necro's in 3 it was basically an afterthought and was replaced with orange glowing weakspots and shit instead, beause again problematic balance) with weapons that were intended for necros.

They were forceful changes made for a system that was not designed for them and it cost the game greatly.
And this is just touching lightly on the balance.

DE3 is such a catastrofuck it shouldn't even have been made.
>>
>>322040637
I did. RE5 mechanically is the same game mechanically. But that is one of the problems, there is no innovation. And the thing they did actually expanded on was for the worst. Being able to melee everything makes the game far too easy and are way too overpowered. And the focus on Co-op hurts the experience as well. RE4 wasn't really scary at all however it did give you the feeling of being overwhelmed. Something that never happens with RE5 because you always have backup. Also the escalation of enemies from RE4 also makes the game worse. Arrow enemies are one thing but when enemies start having AK 47s, the shit becomes awful. RE5 is not a bad game but clearly a unimaginative sequel that play it too safe for the most part and expanded itself in the wrong areas.
>>
>>322041494
I especially enjoyed playing melee only Jake on co-op mode with a friend.
>>
>>322041494
I loved Ada's campaign but it had a weak ending boss.
>>
>>322034063
This.
RE5 and 6 aren't great but Dead Space 1 and 2 felt like RE4 in a sci-fi setting.
Avoid 3, it's shit.
>>
>>322039618

> It feels like a game made by people that don't understand what made RE4 great, but merely tried to copy it.

You're not far odd the mark there.

The game game was in production when Shini Mikami got tired of Capcom's shit and left. Remember the heat system, Chris being a completely different character, and hallucinations cause by dehydration? All axed and replaced by action segments. What we got was a completely different game from what was promised originally.

Even Sheva and multiplayer were added at the last minute IIRC.
>>
>>322041312
>So you're avoiding the question entirely,

I'm asking if you even know what the fuck level design is, you humongous retard. You however make it clear you don't.

>than you drop a level drop RE 4, call it good, name one from RE 5, call it shit

Have you played both RE4 and 5? Then you should know that both introductions are very similar.
You hide in a house while hordes of plaga enemies attack it and then get attacked by stronger super plaga enemies with a big weapon in both games.
Even something so basic as the salvador in RE4 is there because he can break down your barricades and make staying inside the well barricaded large two-story building dangerous (instead of being safe vs the ganados). He will force you out of the building into the village.
In 5 stuff is there because it was in 4, but not understanding why.

Now I did consider going very indepth into this but I already know that this will be a waste of my time since you're not looking to be convinced or discuss, your mind is already set and you simply want to scream at people for how wrong they are for not thinking that 5 is a straight upgrade over 4.
>>
>>322042830

>mfw I played Deadspace 3

Everything that made the first 2 great... gone. What the fuck
>>
Dead space 1 and 2
Protip: play deadspace 2 with the music setting cranked down to 0, it doubles the atmosphere
>>
>>322042158
>They're objective facts.
Right
Your whole post just repeats itself
You're also, for some fucking reason, talking about it like you were one of the devs

Also
>Every single weapon was designed with the differenct necromorphs in mind
Did you play dead space 1 and 2?
Name me a weapon and an enemy that it's "made for"
Also, you know you can only carry 2 weapons at a time right?
So how would that kind of design make any sense?
How does a player know when he's facing what necro?
They obviously didn't design the game in that way, and that was a mistake, since the best weapon in that game is the first weapon you get

>>322042295
Right
But when RE6 comes out and makes some actual changes to the formula, big or small it's the worst piece of shit ever

Also, RE 5 ramps up in the number of enemies really quickly, more so than re 4 does

When I read that I remembered that fucking mine part where there's a shit ton of enemies everywhere
You're "back up" is only one more player so I don't think it's a big deal
Adding co-op does add to the experience in a positive way, the AI bitch does not

Those AK enemies were retarded

>>322042536
Yea Jake is awesome

>>322042628
I think Ada was fine too, it has an awful start tho
It gets so much better down the line
>>
RE5 was a retread of 4 in almost every step of the way. They re-use or copy too many things (even the giant in OP, which has no reason to even be there).

This is understandable because the key game designers from 4 did not work on 5 and were replaced by new staff.
5 was designed as a RE4 for a wider audience and was not only made for action and set-piece focused, but threw in forced co-op because it was a trend at the time.
Horror elements were also thrown out the window, which is pretty incredible in and of itself because that is part of what the series was known for from the very beginning.
>>
>>322043218
Level design is how a level is fucking designed
What else would it fucking mean?
What?
Am I supposed to extract some sort of deeper context or meaning from the combinations of those 2 words you fucking moron?

I'm asking you to explain that, but you avoid it

Yes I did play both games, and yes the intro is basically the same
It was pretty great in both games I think

Also, nice ending to your post
>I'm simply not going to explain myself
Well if you don't want to discuss it why start it in the first place?
>>
>>322044406
>Horror elements
>RE4
What a load of shit
RE 2 was barely a horror game, yet alone RE 4
>>
>>322044408
>Well if you don't want to discuss it why start it in the first place?

Because I assumed I wasn't talking to an austistic child that simply wants to scream at people for not thinking that RE5 is the best game ever.
You would do well to avoid even talking to other people until you learn to be more reasonable because people won't waste their time on you until you do.
But I'm talking to a brick wall here, so why bother.
>>
File: 1426012374451.gif (1 MB, 207x207) Image search: [Google]
1426012374451.gif
1 MB, 207x207
>>322043836
>retard that defends dead space 3 is the same persona that defends resident evil 5 and 6

Why am I not surprised.
>>
>>322044636
I wasn't screaming at you, you little bitch
I was discussing a game with you
If you want to be a fag, fine
>ask him to explain himself
>w-why you mean to me
Fucking victim complex mental case
>>
File: no.jpg (103 KB, 696x391) Image search: [Google]
no.jpg
103 KB, 696x391
>people actually defending re5 and ds3
>>
File: 1445450874666.gif (1 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
1445450874666.gif
1 MB, 256x192
>>322044902
>I was discussing
>>
>>322036872

Cold Fear came out a month after RE4. I don't think it's trying to rip off RE4. It just didn't have its budget
>>
Is this the new shilling tactic? To make seemingly unrelated topics about an old game in a series when a new game in that series is scheduled to come out?

Just make a Resident Evil 0 general thread and be done with it
>>
>>322043336
Even if it was shit (I haven't played it), I heard it did some neat things with coop like one player seeing/hearing things the other doesn't.

Is there any truth to that?
>>
dead space and to a lesser extent re5
>>
>>322046923
Both of the playable characters suffer from visions, things the other one can't see

The other guy sees toys because he feels bad about his son dying, Issac has visions of the Mark
It's pretty awesome, but you have to play with someone
>>
>>322034063
Recommending Dead Space to somebody that likes RE4 is a horrible idea IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, scarier than RE4, but its variety and pacing is a joke compared to RE4. The whole game is basically ISAAC THE GENERATOR NAVIGATION OXYGEN SYSTEM IS BROKEN YOU GOT TO FIX IIIIIT.

it's like twice the length it actually deserves to be.
>>
The attache case system is so fucking slick, seriously why havent more things copied it?
actually why dont more things just rip off resident evil 4?
>>
>>322036749
>Alan Wake is also somewhat similar.
EHhhhhhhh one could make the argument.
>>
>>322043836
they all suck mate no need to get your pants in a bunch over bad games
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.