[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Secret World a good game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: Secret_World_cover.jpg (713 KB, 300x424) Image search: [Google]
Secret_World_cover.jpg
713 KB, 300x424
Thinking of picking it up since it's on Steam Sale. is it a good MMO? anyone with some lengthy experience?
>>
>>322014031
I have about 150 hours in it. It's a good game, I quite enjoy it. I don't know how it stacks up against other MMO's, because I never played any, but the "quests" in TSW are great. They're not just collecathons, you have investigation missions, sneaking missions, the lore and story is pretty great.

Gameplay ain't bad, but it's not something amazing either. You have your bar of 8 skills and you use them, the game focuses on you using two weapons that compliment each other. Tanking is also fun.
>>
>>322014031
Combat is standard MMO fare. Atmosphere and setting is god tier. It's not a great MMO but it's an amazing single player experience. Investigation missions are basically adventure (mini)games.
>>
since you mentioned good quests - is it one of these mmo's that you can easily play alone and still get a lot of enjoyment?
>>
>>322014563
Yes. Most of the time you'll only pair with people to do Dungeons or Raids. All the quests you do solo, but you can do them with a buddy if you want. Or 3 buddies.
>>
It's a mixed bag. It has some unique and complex mechanics but it still ends up having the same hotbar MMO combat you've played before.

What Secret World excels at is story/quests. Every quest is fully voiced with cutscenes and it's actually pretty well written. Most of the quests are very interesting to solve and the world has a unique setting compared to every other MMO.

If exploring a Lovecraftian world solving puzzles and doing some leveling sounds good to you then it might be worth your attention.
>>
alright, thanks. final question then: should i get the ultimate edition or am i fine with the regular one?
>>
>>322014859
Ultimate is a much better deal but the regular edition should last a while.
>>
>>322014859
Depends on how much you want to invest in the game. The Ultimate edition comes with issues, DLC, that adds more content. But the game is big. Do you want to complete everything, know more about the world? Go ultimate. Word of warning, there are 4 areas, IIRC, and it took me 20 hours to do the 1st area.
>>
>>322014859
The thing about ultimate edition is that in a few months it won't be ultimate any more. Already it's missing 2 issues and I assume Funcom will release a new kind of bundle once the current storyline wraps up.
>>
>>322015260
Isn't Funcom in trouble? I see some people afraid they're going under in the future.
>>
>>322014031

Amazing story, quests, atmosphere, and environment. Worst gameplay of any MMO I've ever played.

Game was also made by Ragnar Tornquist, once a good man, now a Progressive liberal SJW piece of shit.
>>
>>322015364
That was 2 years ago. It boiled down to concentrating their resources to a few games, one of which is TSW.
>>
From reading the thread it seems this game is a great single player experience so why didn't they made it into a MMO?
>>
>>322015878
MMOs were the cash cow when it began development. So Funcom took what they knew (adventure games) and tried to make an MMO out of it. This is why there's nothing else like investigation missions in any other MMO.
>>
>>322015708
Huh? What happened to Ragnar?
>>
>>322015708
>Creator of Longest Journey is a rabid SJW who tells people to stay the fuck away from his games if they don't share his views

What a shame
>>
>>322016302
Nothing, if TLJ and Dreamfall didn't clue you in on his stance on gender equality then you're just dense.
>>
Btw, is the newest longest journey game... dreamfall chapters or whatever... good?
>>
>>322016559
It's decent but not in the same league as the longest journey
>>
File: tsw.png (46 KB, 259x122) Image search: [Google]
tsw.png
46 KB, 259x122
yes
>>
As a long time player, it's pretty much dead now and the overall development has been really shit.

It's still good as a single player experience but i cant force myself to login after the most recent upgrades (starting with this summer) and I don't really have hopes for this game.
>>
>>322017014

Why are they focusing so hard on dungeon content
>>
Carter is best MMO waifu. Savage Coast is the best zone in MMO too and not just because of Carter.
>Innsmouth Academy
>The League of Monster Slayers
>The Park
>Sam Krieg
The zone is just dripping with atmosphere. The League monster encyclopedia filled with user created entries is hilarious. Eldritch Zoidberg and the entries on Academy staff are winners for sure.
>>
>>322017139
Because they can't produce other content at at a pace better than 3 hours/6 months and dungeons have replayability. Also most of the playerbase hit 10.4-10.5 and needs to be kept in the game.
>so hard
I really wish it was enough focus but in reality it's very little new content and a lot of worthless grind to do content everyone did already.
>>
>>322017562
True, I really regret going as fast as I did to get to Tokyo. You can really eat through everything.
>>
>>322017507
>Carter is best MMO waifu
Yes, this.

Egypt was fucking great too, I really enjoyed the mixture of ancient Egypt during industrialization process, with civil war and cultists somewhere in the background.
>>
>>322018036
Scorched Desert was ok, City of the Sun God not so much. Personally I think Egypt is the low point of the game made more apparent because Solomon Island right before is just plain amazing. Egypt has a really fun issue storyline though. Indiana Jones as fuck.
>>
the genres just don't even mesh and the engine/UI is complete dog shit. i don't know who thought solving these long puzzles in an MMORPG environment was a good idea. it's not.

the stories / VA end up being very underwhelming, which is supposed to be the pull along with the puzzles. it's so fragmented and pointless, every zone is an untold story and completing the zone still doesn't tell you the story, every zone is basically a surreal time-freeze where empty shells of characters stand around stuck with the same problem forever. you can kill 10 ghosts and solve the long arse puzzle for them, but nothing is going to change.

AO is a richer world and has deeper mechanics. I wish they would have just focused on AO all those years ago.
>>
File: 1434220504124.jpg (75 KB, 342x260) Image search: [Google]
1434220504124.jpg
75 KB, 342x260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU1qkH7Fwqw
>mfw I didn't finish this quest for like an hour just to listen to this
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.