[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We're 2 full years into the new console generation yet we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
File: 2006-2007 New IPs.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
2006-2007 New IPs.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
We're 2 full years into the new console generation yet we have 0 new IPs like pic related that are big enough to get a bunch of sequels. Instead we get
>Uncharted 4
>Mass Effect: Andromeda
>Gears of War 4
>Assassin's Creed 29
and the new IPs we are getting are shitty MOBA ripoffs or multiplayer only. The only one I can think off is Destiny.

Why is this the case, /v/?
>>
Ever heard of Destiny faggot?
>>
>>321997791
>The only one I can think off is Destiny

Yeah, I have.
>>
>>321997710
>destiny
>project cars
>splatoon
>horizon
>bloodborne
>no mans sky
>etc i could go on
>>
Sunset Overdrive
>>
>>321997791
Learn to read? lol

It says right in the OP
>>
>>321997917
Also Watchdogs.
>>
Horizon Zero Dawn
>>
>>321997967
>already mentioned
>a racing Sim with one game and little popularity
>on Wii U and not massive
>not out yet
>Souls with a different skin, not anything really innovative
>not out yet

Can anyone here read?

>>321998026
That is one that makes sense but Watch Dogs wasn't met with nearly as much praise as the four I posted.

>>321998140
Not out yet and I'm talking about ones made two years into a console's lifespan.
>>
>>321998236
>doesn't count because someone already said it
>doesn't count because I say so
>>
>>321998410
>because I say so

The OP was about "New IPs big enough to get multiple sequels" and mentioned Destiny as the only one. Can anyone here read?
>>
>>321997710
Yeah I remember when all these games came out and had numerous sequels within 2 years.

Oh wait you're a fucking retard.
>>
Horizon
>>
>>321997710
I don't think you understand how much effort is needed to make a new IP.

Why bother pumping money into making new assets and concepts when you can shit out sequels and gain more potential sales?
>>
>>321998236
>Souls with a different skin, not anything really innovative

What the fuck do you think AssCreed was if not a different skin of Prince of Persia?
>>
>The Last of Us
>Bloodborne
>Senran Kagura
>Destiny
>Sunset Overdrive
>Splatoon

We're alright
>>
>>322000932
tlou was 5 years ago anon it was last gen
>>
>>322000704
It was originally a PoP game but that doesn't mean it's as blatant as a copy as Bloodborne is to Souls.
>>
>>322000932
>last generation
>a side game to the Souls series
>obscure Anime, not what I'm talking about
>already mentioned in the OP
>sold barely enough to warrant a sequel
>probably will get a sequel

Only one on there is valid. Stop trying to list shit if you haven't read the OP.
>>
>>322000932

>The Last of Us

Last gen game

>Bloodborne

Literally a souls game with slighty different gameplay
>Senran Kagura

Last gen game series

>Destiny

A stretch but ill give you that

>Sunset Overdrive
>Splatoon

only 2 new ip's on the list
>>
>>321997710
>0 new IPs like pic

Maybe because it's an expensive risk. Don't forget we went through a massive worldwide recession in the meantime.
>>
>>322001287

>bloodborne is a souls game
>sunset overdrive and splatoon are totally new IPs
>>
>>322001349

i love the souls series, but you're a retard if you see bloodborne as something different than another souls game
>>
OK, since nobody seems to get the OP let me rephrase the question.

Why are so few devs known for their new IPs making new IPs this gen? Naughty Dog had a new IP for every generation yet this one they're just sticking with Uncharted. This time last gen Bioware had two (ME, Dragon Age) for gods sake and they're still only making sequels for those.
>>
>>322001349
>sunset overdrive and splatoon are totally new IPs
What else would they be?
>>
>2 Years into the new console generation
>Durrrr where are all the sequels to new IPs?

How many sequels to new IPs were there 2 years into the last console generation?
>>
It's a market thing. Making a game cost now more than ever and dev don't want to take the risk of a new license any more. Look at the cinema industry if you want to understand
>>
>>322001717
If you can't read don't post.
>>
>>322001965
>We're 2 full years into the new console generation yet we have 0 new IPs like pic related that are big enough to get a bunch of sequels.

How will you know if something is big enough to get a sequel if there hasn't been time for the sequel to be made yet?
>>
yeah i agree op. vidfeo games are shit so im gonna take up knitting instead
>>
What about Titanfall & Dying light
>>
>>322001513
Here's a better question, why should anyone even bother answering you? Any response will just be met with NO NO NO THAT'S WRONG. You clearly already have the one and only answer you want in your head, so why even ask?
>>
>>322001345
The recession was a last gen event, it ended six years ago for almost everyone and for some it was 7 years ago
>>
>>322002148
Neither of those are really innovative, new, or massively popular. Not like something like the first Mass Effect or as good as the first Gears of War for third person shooting. Nor are any of those something of a scale that are gonna be CoD-ified like AC to the extent that normalfags eat them up every year.
>>
>>322001706

Sunset Memedrive is an Infamous clone. And splatoon is a generic third person shooter.
>>
Shadows or Mordor will probably get a sequel and maybe Mad Max
>>
>>322002194
That recession STARTED 7 years ago and we're still dealing with the aftermath of it. We haven't reached (Or America at least) the next phase of economic prosperity that will inevitably come about before the next recession after that.
>>
Watch Dogs is literally mthe only new IP I can think of. We are doomed.
>>
>>322002194
And it could happen again at any time, and any company not pumping out smash hit sequels would be left holding their dick.
>>
>>322002182
>hey guys why is X happening
>it's not, here's some completely unrelated things to the question which I didn't read
>no that's wrong you idiot
>WHY DID YOU EVEN ASK YOU ONLY HAVE ONE ANSWER IN MIND!
>>
>>322002724
You might have some form of Autism, you seem to have trouble communicating
>>
cumulative marketing,
you can have wide variety of improvements in an already known ip, new ips are less valueable in gaming compared to other mediums
>>
>>322002331
>And splatoon is a generic third person shooter.
I didn't know generic third person shooter was a genre or every shooter allowed you to travel via your bullet spray.
>>
>>322003960
was an IP*
>>
bloodbourne comes to mind.

And then you have other games like, bloodbourne for ps4.

Let's not forget the all famous console seller, bloodbourne, either.
>>
>>322002413
Has America been in recession for seven years? Holy shit we only had three months.
>>
>>322004943
Yes, it's definitely gotten better but still recovering. It's probably why American AAA gaming industry has been playing it so safe the last few years.
>>
File: 1123168540604.jpg (41 KB, 400x479) Image search: [Google]
1123168540604.jpg
41 KB, 400x479
>>321997710
Well that is because the industry has dwindled down to casual cancer fag mode ultra queer homo tier.
Seems like more energy and resources are drawn towards marketing a game (triple A titles if u can call it that still) than actually the development of a game, let alone creating content.

Advertisement companies or I mean,... game developers, hehe. Spend more than half the time probably adressing the set course of DLC and expansion pass content a.k.a skin + outfit than the creation of the game itself. That's the idea I'm getting when I look at they vomit onto the market these days. Games are just so bland with the same copy/pasted shit, fuck you Bethesda, die in a carfire. Not even Morrowind nostalgia can save you now.

Atleast that is the idea that they give.
Any Ubishit and EA title is low on content on release, sure the game survives on not just pretty graphics but also a gimmick here and there (ships in AC, nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor, the same repetitive leveling cycle in each cod game, etc). Something that gives the player somewhat motivation to keep playing after they've been hooked by pretty graphics and the novalty of the first 3 hours goes away.
Just look at Battlefront.
People expect triple A star wars, what they get is a rushed piece of shit like any movie titled videogame slapped with a brand logo on it marketed towards the movie.
Anyone who believed those preview videos given the impression of an awesome game have been duped because as any real gamer would tell you afterwards is that it simply sucks and isn't worth $100.

Also the length between releases has been scaled back so much gamers literally have nothing to look out for except for niche games because when something special comes along, for example Dark Souls the next 3 cash in cows or sequals are just around the corner.
Greedy marketing people and developers of big industries that make trillion dollar games that need to make even more money is literally killing everything
>>
>>321997710

We've reached the point where companies are (largely) risk-averse. Why do something new that will sell like shit, when you can make a sequel and have it meet or exceed expectations of the first title?
>>
>>322006012
>Well that is because the industry has dwindled down to casual cancer fag mode ultra queer homo tier.

It was already casual cancer the moment JRPGs got popular on Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>321999076
I'm not even OP and the autism in this post triggered me.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.