[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is FF7 really the cancer that killed JRPGs?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (45 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
45 KB, 256x255
People constantly say pic related was the cancer that killed JRPGs, but outside the FF franchise I never noticed any significant changes to other JRPGs. In fact before 1997 there were only a notable handful of JRPGs released in the west (and that's if you lived in the USA - if you were a yuropoor you were just fucked) and they rarely ever (if ever) sold at least a million. Yet FF7, regardless of your overal opnion of it, brought JRPGs to the mainstream and changed them from a low-selling niche genre to something that is enjoyed by everybody. Does it really boil down to just autists being upset that their sekrit club has been compromised?
>>
>>321995848
FF7 was probably the single best thing to happen for the genre, you moron.
>>
>People constantly say

"People" constantly say all kinds of stuff about all kinds of things, you need to work more on determining what's worth paying attention to and what isn't.
>>
>>321995848
No, Advent Children was.
>>
>>321995848

No, not really, every FF until X kept being a sales and critical success.

The genre killed itself by trying to evolve and now you can only see it in Pokemon and budget games.
>>
>>321997434
how? It was just a movie.
>>
>>321997537
Advent Children brought everything that is obnoxious to the ff7 fanbase.
Seriously I couldn't make it more than 5 minutes without cringing to death.
And I'm a die hard fan of the game.
>>
>>321995848
JRPGs died because people got bored of them. When consoles were able to run games that allowed players to interact more with the game world, turn-based battles became obsolete.
>>
>>321997847
So what does that have to do with jrpg's as a while?
>>
>>321995848

FF7 was still pretty much like the other FFs in everything from style, presentation, humor, etc. Only difference was it was 3-d and had a few cutscenes.

If any final fantasy game was "cancer" that affected the industry on the whole, it was the pop-song commercialization of FF8.
>>
>>321998168
*whole.
>>
>>321998168
>ignoring the pandering to the newfags after Advent Children
bruh
FF13 is a direct result of AC
It's exactly the same shit. Obnoxious overdramatization and memes everywhere.
>>
>>321995848

FF13 with its heavy burden of being the best FF ever back previous gen killed JRPGs popularity after it failed to deliver a good game, followed by the emergence and initial success of the 360, and the rise of console shooters. Blame SE for fucking the genre up that the west gained a significant foothold on the videogame trend that we can still feel the effect until now.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.