[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Age of Wonders 3, or Endless Legend?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5
File: header.jpg (91 KB, 459x429) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
91 KB, 459x429
The complete collections for each game are both around £15 on steam at the moment.

Which do you find to be the strengths and weaknesses of each one? And which would you buy if you had the choice? They both seem like very similar games, so I'm wondering on your opinions of them.

Also general thread for both because why not.
>>
>>321988893
I like Endless Legend because each faction plays differently.

AoW 3, can't really say much because I didn't play it.
>>
File: 1450805648363.jpg (299 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1450805648363.jpg
299 KB, 1280x720
>>321988893
Neither impressed me very much.
>>
>>321988893
They're both pretty good, although I prefer Endless Legends.
>>
>>321988893
Endless

It was the only one that gave me feels close to what Alpha Centauri could.
>>
>>321988893
easily endless legend

I am a fan of age of wonders series, but it just doesn't reach the same level of endless legend
>>
Bought AowIII on sale after only ever playing civ 4 and 5 (and not being very good at them). AoW isn't really like Civ (whereas I hear EL, which I also considered, is quite similar with a focus on realm control), it's more about conquest and combat. The city-building is shallow and designed to either pump out resources or units, and diplomacy is even lesser than with civ; you can forge alliances, allow open borders and really not too much else.

The combat is great though, it's hex based and turn based, highly strategic and quite well balanced to me as an amateur. It's really closer to a medieval X-Com than to a Civ game as far as combat's concerned.

Other than that, there's loads of content, with campaigns and scenarios, different races that have unique strengths and weaknesses andcan be combined with different class specialization which means you can tailor elements of the game around your playstyle far better than I found you could in Civ, whilst still being able to try something new-but-similar to keep the game fresh.

Also it's got some neat features like quests, loot and hero leveling which work surprisingly well and make for a refreshing twist for me, keeping any combat from being an out-and-out chore.

I am only ~10 hours into the game though so I'm no expert, just my two cents.
>>
I've played both a lot and at the end of the day I prefer AoW3.
>>
>>321989554
Also worth saying that apparently EL plays more like Civ and AoW plays more like HoMaM, so that's probably worth considering, I can't be sure though as I never played EL or HoMaM.
>>
Age of Wonders if you want to focus on combat.

Endless Legend if you want a compfy 4x.
>>
File: 1391990530521.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1391990530521.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
AoW3 is so fucking fun. It ended up being one of my favorite 4Xs, especially after the expansions. Shame that there is no one to talk to about it since its not so popular around here.
>>
>>321989795
Just bought it anon, how do I get good? i've done the first campaign with the elf and am on the dragon one, and am doing a random map with an orc warlord but feel like I'm probably doing something wrong their as I'm just marching around stomping on indies. I find it hard to know what to do next as there's no constant progression like in Civ, should I just steam through a few campaigns/scenarios/maps or is there a way to properly learn this shit?
>>
File: 1391990877451.jpg (51 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1391990877451.jpg
51 KB, 1280x720
>>321990174
Good basic tactic is to focus on building things at the start that increase your building speed, so you can pump out everything else, including units. Keeping some units in your main city is also pretty important since indies can just appear out of nowhere and take your city. Also taking over independent cities, either by force or peacefully, is extremely important considering your general growth. Good comparison is to think of Heroes of might and magic instead of Civ 5. Having your units roaming around fighting and discovering things is really important.

Though if you ask for campaign specific advice, I am unable to give it. I have played the game for like 200 hours but I havent done a single campaign mission.
>>
>>321991038
Fair, never played HoMM, sounds like i'm basically on the right path then, I'm just never sure about declaring war and stuff, makes me feel a little directionless. I'm on turn 40 maybe and have had little contact with other factions beyond saying hi, but have conquered some small towns and put them into my empire. Is there a preferred amature class? I'm thinking of playing dwarf dreadnaught as my battles tend to be more defensive, and the underground looks pretty cool, but don't really know what I'm doing.
>>
File: 1391990591757.jpg (45 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1391990591757.jpg
45 KB, 1280x720
>>321991816
Pretty much any class can work with any race and at any skill levels, if it just fits your playstyle. Then it all just comes out kinda naturally. Though even more so, classes like the druid and sorcerer are especially good for beginners since they have so many spells that can summon units directly to the map. This lets you focus on building and upgrading while your actual army comes from spells instead. And dont worry about not meeting everyone on the map. Unless you are really effective with flying scouts or something, you can easily go for 60 turns without seeing every player, especially if you are playing on a massive map. Underground will either be just a straight line with some neutral places in it, or it will be a whole another map to play on. If you like to play as dwarfs, starting the map underground is pretty much a jackpot.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.