[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hypothesis: smarter people are better at playing certain video
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: death note.jpg (36 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
death note.jpg
36 KB, 900x675
Hypothesis: smarter people are better at playing certain video games than other people.
Reject or accept hypothesis?
If accept, what kind of video games?
>>
>>321986352
They are easier in adapting and learning, doesn't have to be better than others.
Gaming skills are still skills which can be acquired no matter if you're smarter or not.
The only thing they might be better in, in general, are mindbending puzzles.
But still, it's adapting to different scenarios
>>
Being "smart" is a shitty measurement of one's skills and largely a completely arbitrary construct. You hypothesis fails at a basic level.
>>
>>321987274
t. Someone not smart
>>
I agree

Im just like L, intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor
>>
Smart people are better at puzzle games.
>>
>>321987341
Good joke, but seriously. Trying to define intelligence on a linear scale is completely useless.
>>
>>321987480
Being "smart" is always different.
There are puzzle games, which might be difficult for some "very smart" people but not so difficult for the "quite Smart" people.
There can be puzzles which needs you to think different at some parts, which some people have alot of difficulty with.

Either way.
Gaming skills are acquired by the power of discipline and willpower
>>
What do you consider "better"?

There are several skill levels to consider while playing videogames. The first step is acquiring the mechanical skills, i.e. how to move, throw punches etc. If you hand me a controler and put in a game I've never played before, it will take me some time to even begin to play properly. Different people have different learning times, so if you play a lot of sports games, the new iteration won't give you much trouble.

Secondly, there is learning how the game itself works. Is it worth using potions at this moment? Do they refill through damage, or do you need to buy them? Stuff like this takes some time, and if the game doesn't explain it you either struggle through, learning on your own, or you look it up online.

Then, the third part is understanding how the enemy uses the mechanics. If you play MOBA's, you consider what the enemy is doing at the moment and what should you do to disrupt it, if need be. It's understanding the whole process of the game and manipulating it to your desired outcome.

All three steps of the process might have different learning curves to different people. Why? Tough to say. Experience with the genre, with the platform you play on, understanding of the game, pure knowledge (stats etc), all of this uses different kinds of information and input/output interaction.

Saying just "smarter people are better at x" is kinda easy, because there is not one kind of smart.
>>
There are different kinds of intelligence, OP. Of couse a person that is better at navigation and hand-eye coordination is going to be better at certain videogames than a person that is poor on those same traits. But it's much, much more complicated than just "being smarter".
>>
>>321987474
Eh nice one kid
*teleport behinds you*
*licks lip and eye glows red*
*back stabs you*
Now who's smarter?
>>
Hypothesis: autistic people are better at playing certain video games than other people.
>>
>>321987953
>Saying just "smarter people are better at x" is kinda easy, because there is not one kind of smart.

Exactly. The only people who think otherwise are the same people who think they "just suck at math" as if math wasn't just another skill you learn through practise.
>>
File: brainlordcoverna.jpg (51 KB, 640x446) Image search: [Google]
brainlordcoverna.jpg
51 KB, 640x446
This thread is shit and everyone should try to beat this game.
I say try because I already know that none of you faggots even play games.
>>
>>321988170
Autistic people are better at things because they become completely obsessed with what they are doing. If you do nothing but building circuits in minecraft, you're bound to become good at it.
>>
>>321986352
"Smarter" people have generally more patience to put into things, the same way they can focus on learning something.
I guess you could say more "smart" people play RPGs, puzzle and grand strategy games because they generally require more effort.

I'm not saying being smart is the cause I'm saying that many dumb people are dumb because they can put more than 2 seconds into anything thus gravitate towards simpler games like shooters for example.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTGlrcReWrk
>>
>>321988408
I dunno man.
Plato has been drawing forever and he still sucks at it.
>>
>>321988154
*it was a wood clone jutsu*
psh fallin for the oldest trick in the book, pardner?
*covers my face with the brim of my ten gallon hat
amateurs like you should be locked away forever
*points my gunblade at you*
SHINING FINAL STAR
*you explode from a million bullets*
giddy up......
>>
>>321988237
Not really. There are legit stupid people at math. Im one of them. I spent 3 years in algebra 1. Wouldve been 4 if they didnt force shove me to geometry, which i failed hard at. Grand strategy is my favorite genre too and i love history.

There are some people that are genuinely retarded/cannot overcome a challenge, practice or not. I heard the same shit and equations in algebra for 3 years and cant emember a single of them.
>>
>>321989151
That more than likely just means no one ever bothered to properly explain all that shit to you. Or you have dyscalculia
>>
>>321989821
I really have no idea if it was explained good or not. but every time the teacher would say something it went in one ear and out the other. literally would forget whatever they said or the steps seconds after being told. i mustve really pissed those 3 teachers off with my retardation
>>
>>321986352
I would agree a significant part of playing vidya is learning from your mistakes and adapting.Something that many people fail at.
>>
File: pomf.jpg (24 KB, 229x237) Image search: [Google]
pomf.jpg
24 KB, 229x237
>>321986352
Well to transfer your actions you will need two things:

The concept on how to execute it to get the best result and
the mechanical execution through your hands/fingers

You can be excellent at analyzing the game and its gameplay but if you can't transfer your thoughts to the inputs of the gamepad then it's wasted

See Fighting games, ARPGs, Arena shooter, Railshooter, Bullet hell, difficult platformer

But those type of people are generally unmatched at RTS, turnbased RPGs, Puzzles ofc and generally at the theoretical part

>tfw my brother is technical while I'm theorethical
>the diferences are clear as day
>he can't into stategic aspects of the game and most of the time doesn't realize the full spectrum of the gameplay mechanics
>while I'm here trying to press the right buttons and still fuck up most of the time
>>
>>321986352
That claim is weak as fuck, so there's not a point in me agreeing or disagreeing with it. I guess I can agree.
>>
>>321986352
>smarter people are better at
uh, no shit?
>>
>>321987480
Fun fact, all games are puzzles to an extent.

Problem solving and Critical thinking are puzzles.

Exploiting the game and cheesing its mechanics are also a puzzle.

Games are systems/engines that work off ifs and buts. A Smart person will exploit the options given and beat the game with the tools avaliable.

Doing anything smarter is always beneficial, its the definition of the word SMART.

Take Dark souls for example, you can work hard and take down the enemy with a shit weapon and head in guns blazing hoping your poise takes the hits or you can play smart and use items and better statistics on items to complete the game easily.

Theres a difference between working hard and working smart.
>>
File: 1387978648956.jpg (165 KB, 694x488) Image search: [Google]
1387978648956.jpg
165 KB, 694x488
>>321988647
>giddy up
>>
There are other factors, like experience with the game for example.

A smarter dude than me that has never played chess before would still get his ass kicked by me unless he's anime-genius tier.
>>
>>321986352
Smart people will learn and and get good a game faster than a non-smart person, thats all.
>>
>>321990342
>If accept, what kind of video games?
YOU tell ME, jackass.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.