[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So this Dark Souls 2 analysis video by Joseph Anderson got p
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 19
File: Dark Souls 2.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls 2.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
So this Dark Souls 2 analysis video by Joseph Anderson got posted about a week ago and I was curious what some people thought about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9jrShSwjPU

The tl;dw is that the core gameplay of Dark Souls 1 consists of exploration, combat, and resource management. These three things basically functioned as "You start at a bonfire (or checkpoint), and with limited estus flasks (or resources), you traversed through a level, killing enemies in largely 1 on 1 encounters, exploring the level layout, collecting items, and gitting gud enough to take as little damage as possible and go through as little estus as possible. With whatever estus you have left, you challenge the boss of the area, and with enough skill and enough estus, you may win the fight and proceed on". Estus largely functions as boosting your health pool, because estus is finite, and only recharges by respawning enemies.

His video then proceeds to talk about the changes made to Dark Souls 2. Skipping over his discussion about the connectedness of levels and warping, he talks about how Dark Souls 2 handles combat, and particularly the criticisms that Dark Souls 2 handles combat poorly by increasing difficulty by throwing more enemies at you, rather than making well designed and interesting enemies.

He mentions in the DS1 analysis that the reason why the enemies were so well designed is that they visibly telegraphed their attacks, and then proceeded to give you three ways to handle dealing with the attack (that is, blocking, dodging, or parrying). In contrast, Dark Souls 2 throws a lot of enemies at you, and in some cases, a lot of unavoidable damage. Again, one of the big criticisms about the design of Dark Souls 2 is that it doesn't make combat interesting to throw numerous enemies and unavoidable damage at the player and tell them to "deal with it".

PT 1

(Also trying to provide a tl;dw so I'm not accused of shilling, and so we can skip a 30 minute video and go to discussion)
>>
>>321981475
PT 2

Dark Souls 2 instead approaches combat by offering you a nearly limitless amount of lifegems. Lifegems restore health slowly, but once again, they're infinite. They're designed to be the response to the slight damage you might take during combat with multiple enemies. Now, if you're challenged by a group of foes, and you're rolling around, looking to weave in attacks, you're not punished for the rest of the level by accidentally being clipped by an enemy who, say, attacks through his ally, or has an unsynchronized attack pattern with the other enemies that prevents you from finding an opening among all the enemies to attack back.

The tl;dr is that lifegems allow you to deal with minor punishments easier, while saving your limited estus flasks for major encounters, and punishing you for getting into situations where you have to use estus flask early on, instead of during boss fights that produce higher amounts of damage.

Furthermore, tracking, another criticism people made about DS2, was an essential introduction because experienced DS1 players could simply walk circles around humanoid enemies in DS1 and fish for backstabs that trivialized fights due to its high damage and guaranteed immunity frames, plus the guarantee that in a 1v1, you would regain your energy by kicking down your opponent.

Anyways, I realize this is a wall of text that might go unread, but I just want to know if anyone has any refutes on this style of combat versus DS1's. It's my personal opinion that DS1 is still superior, but I think that this was a fair analysis on the system of regen and enemy design.
>>
tl;dr
>>
Nice shilling faggot

Boring video shit voice
>>
Pretty interesting analysis, I wonder if DS2's lukewarm rating convinced From to stop trying to change the DaS formula too much, hence BB.
>>
There is no "unavoidable damage" in DaS2. Enemy placement may annoy you, but there is no need to create non-issues by saying something that's simply false. I have the feeling that a lot of complainers would be less sore about it if they were smarter with handling encounters in general. It's the same with the tracking. 100% of all tracking-related woes can be solved if you just time your fucking dodge correctly.

I'm not saying that these aspects can't be improved - because they can - but I'm a little tired of the exact same criticisms being levied against DaS2 over and over again. It's to the point where these opinions are very clearly being regurgitated and I for one would like a conversation on the subject that went anywhere other than treading the exact same path for the 100th time.
>>
>>321981475
>>321981797
i'm not fucking reading all of this you faggot i don't give a shit
>>
>>321983194
Pretty sure you always take damage from falling in the ruin sentinels fight
>>
Every hour every day people still make DS2 threads. Why? You'd think people would be done arguing about it, or in my case, giving a shit.
>>
>>321983061
Seeing as not even the improvements from DaS2 (like sprinting any direction while locked on) were implemented in BB or DaS3, I think it's safe to say they're distancing themselves from it entirely.
>>
>>321983315
Not with the cat ring.
>>
>>321981475
>le dark souls 2 throws a lot of enemies at you
opinion discarded
>>
>>321983315
Just don't get hit by the "unavoidable damage" from the bosses, and the fall damage would be irrelevant.
>>
>>321983194
Doesn't the drop in Nito's fight take away like half of your health?
>>
go away shill
>>
>>321981797
>Furthermore, tracking, another criticism people made about DS2, was an essential introduction because experienced DS1 players could simply walk circles around humanoid enemies in DS1 and fish for backstabs that trivialized fights due to its high damage and guaranteed immunity frames, plus the guarantee that in a 1v1, you would regain your energy by kicking down your opponent.

I disagree with this entirely.
I think they
A. Need to make WAY more non-humanoid enemies as they all play the same, backstab fishing or not
B. Give them a wider range of attacks that allow them to respond to a larger area around them or specific non-frontal areas like plenty of bosses already do.
The tick enemies in Bloodborne that can kick you when standing behind them are a good example.
>>
completely wrong about life gems
i only used them on boss encounters where they helped with healing while moving.
the unavoidable damage is also complete shit just cleave through them if you cant single them out.
also ds2 had one of the easier telegraphed attacks in the souls series because many enemies were humanoid and you knew the reach and the direction of their attacks after you saw them once
>>
>>321983785
Also, the need to charge an attack in order to backstab in BB fixed this issue as well.
>>
File: 1450399000787.jpg (50 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1450399000787.jpg
50 KB, 550x550
>all this pretentiousness

all blown a way by a single fucking phrase ''i liked it''

addendum for thick people, I didn't actually play it, only souls game I played was DeS
>>
>>321983785
B is THE way to design games.
Backstab fishing is too easy, tracking is too cheap of a solution.
The answer is obvious - devs just shouldn't be lazy and give enemies attacks they can use to target the player behind them, without completely denying them a backstab possibility.
>>
>>321983194
>but I'm a little tired of the exact same criticisms being levied against DaS2 over and over again.
It's not like the game stopped having the exact same problems all of a sudden. If you have some people denying they exist you will of course hear them over and over again.
>>
>>321983194
The auto-tracking complaint bugs the fuck out of me. Taurus has an overhead that can go a full 180. Dark Souls 1 bosses train you to avoid tracking, Dark Souls 2 just requires you to use it in regular combat,
>>
>>321983958
yeah BB fixed the issue of backstabs nicely

...and made parry overpowered in return
>>
>>321984125
Don't worry, they nerfed the dodge by adding an insane buffer that makes plenty of reactions impossible because the input delays too much.
>>
File: 1450062587602.gif (2 MB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
1450062587602.gif
2 MB, 540x540
>namedropping some nobody like anyone knows or cares who the fuck he is
>~2000 views, patreon link in video description
>"Guys, I'm totally not shilling by the way, seriously I'm not shilling, just here on 4chan, on /v/ for some serious, thoughtful discussion"
>>
>>321984125
Forget about parries. BB has the exact same issue DS2 had - lack of poise. Most enemies in the game can be stunlocked to death with just R1 spam.
>>
>>321984114
I think the problem was how huge the wind-ups in DaS2 were in combination with the turning speed of the tracking made enemies follow you for an extremely long time before finally attacking. A bit of tracking is fine but the speed and radius need to be managed better. With the way it was in DaS2 there was literally no difference between standing in front of the enemy and dodging or walking around the enemy and dodging because you got the exact same result due to them constantly facing you, almost completely removing the concept of spacing from the game.
>>
>>321984236
rewarding aggressive play was a conscious design choice advertised since the first reveals
>>
>>321983315
Just like the Nito fight.

You faggots have some serious rose-colored glasses for Dark Souls.
>>
Anyone have good tactics against Desert Sorceres? Those bitches 1shot me way too often with their lingering flame or fire kiss.
>>
>>321984236
>>321984338
Enemies occasionally had a completely arbitrary poise system that would just activate and smack your shit with a 5-hit combo, though.
>>
>>321984323
I meant positioning, not spacing.
>>
>>321981797
>>321981475

>tldw is two posts long

Fuck off, no one wants to watch your shit video.
>>
>>321984346
He didn't say DaS1 didn't have it, faglord. He was responding to a guy who said DaS2 didn't have any.
>>
File: 1447201431627.jpg (21 KB, 350x298) Image search: [Google]
1447201431627.jpg
21 KB, 350x298
>>321981475
>another analysis of a game that already has been analyzed to death
>>
>>321984338
Yeah, but not with a tiny toothpick sized weapons. Systems like that put slower weapons with higher damage-per hit ratio at disadvantage. Stunlocking should be exclusive to heavy, poise breaking weapons.
>>
File: 1436379961662.jpg (22 KB, 336x347) Image search: [Google]
1436379961662.jpg
22 KB, 336x347
>>321983962
Then you played the best one. I was hyped as fuck for Dark Souls 1 after Demon's, as everyone said it was amazing. God was I fucking disappointed. Holy shit.
>>
>>321981475
you forgot about the part that life gems are a hand holding mechanic for newbies to the series (which is also in BB will certainly in DS3) so both veteran and beginners can play together
you also forgot the he later mentions that he likes to fight several mobs at once
you also forgot that why from probably use this kind of level design
and you forgot to mention where he talks in one of his DS1 videos how trivial fighting and the game becomes as soon as you realise how easy it is to backstab every enemie to death by cycling around
anyway decent bait 6/10 will reach anyway the daily few hundred shtipost responses
>>
>>321984709
I just wish Dark Souls maintained Demon's Souls boss design of (almost) always having a unique gimmick that wasn't just "run behind sword man and hit his back".
Phalanx and Tower Knight are 2 of my favorite bosses ever.
>>
>>321984323
I think it's a necessary evil in DaS2 because there's a very fine balance there in which you're either expecting to take a hit and dodging regardless of position or you're back to DaS1's trivializing backstab fishing gameplay. Aggressive tracking was the best method the B Team could implement with their time and resources in order to discourage relying on this style of gameplay.

Hopefully DaS3 has realized that the real fix to this dilemma is adding more enemy behavior in general. This is especially true of bosses, who have been easily cheesed throughout the entire series by doing nothing more than hugging their ankles.
>>
>>321985334
> Aggressive tracking was the best method the B Team could implement with their time and resources in order to discourage relying on this style of gameplay.
I don't believe this for a second.
>Hopefully DaS3 has realized that the real fix to this dilemma is adding more enemy behavior in general.
They've made enemies act more like they do in Bloodborne, in addition to requiring a charge in order to backstab like in Bloodborne.
>>
>>321985468
Wait what ?
Weren't DaS3 backstabs instant?
>>
>>321985721
No
>>
>>321985721
they have an animation like in das2
>>
>>321985468
The game went through development hell. A major plot point that would have made the game a hundred times more interesting got scrapped. They didn't even have enough time to make the transition to Iron Keep make sense (and before someone starts that shitstorm again, a dev admitted that they didn't do a good job on it). I'm willing to give the tracking a pass because it doesn't really break the game. You can still back out of an enemy's effective range as they're swinging (which is easy to do considering everyone is just a big guy with an axe) or (God forbid) time your roll correctly.
>>
>>321985721
>>321985791
Or rather, you don't charge it, but it has a huge animation that can be easily avoided.
>>
File: 1446345982080.jpg (393 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1446345982080.jpg
393 KB, 960x960
>>321981475
>people still bitch about DaS2 even after it was revealed what a hell of a development stage it went through
WEW LAD
>>
>>321985935
I guess Duke Nukem Forever is a good game then
>>
File: tanimura.jpg (149 KB, 800x536) Image search: [Google]
tanimura.jpg
149 KB, 800x536
>>321985935
pic related is a decent guy, last time I heard he will be involved in DaS3. He did a good job with the DLCs.
Shibuya was the one who destroyed everything apparently.
>>
File: photo.png (7 KB, 100x100) Image search: [Google]
photo.png
7 KB, 100x100
>>321981475
>>321981797
Who needs this shit when this guys video exists?
>>
>>321985994
DaS2 was actually good though, it was the best game that came out in 2014.
>>
tl;dr it's shit.
>>
>>321986032
We can't really say that he "destroyed" anything, since we've never saw any footage of DaS2 pre-remake, but Shibuya was just making a game that NAMCO/FROM didn't feel was Souls-y enough.
As in, the game was initially going to have an open world, hence why the areas look so weirdly connected now.
But yeah, Tanimura is a good guy and managed to salvage as much as possible. IMO he totally redeemed himself with the crown DLCs.
>>
File: Lords Of The Fallen.jpg (377 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lords Of The Fallen.jpg
377 KB, 1920x1080
Did anyone here enjoy Lords Of The Fallen? I genuinely believe it's superior to DS2. That sounds silly, but it's the truth - LOTF emphasizes tense 1v1 fights and amazing, creative bosses, where as DS2 lazily copypasted hoardes of enemies with derivative, underwhelming bosses. LOTF is also dramatically better graphically and has an amazing atmosphere.
>>
>>321986098
ayy
>>
>>321986098
That was actually Lightning Returns.
>>
>>321983573
>straight up fact
>opinion

aite
>>
>>321983785
>turtle shell enemies have an attack where they fall on their back to hit you
>Never see it because of the insane tracking
>>
>>321986575
This always made me thing that the tracking was a last-minute fix. If you read the old interviews, they seemed really interested in exploring the idea of giving all enemies some ways to counteract what you did but maybe they couldn't because of time constraints.
>>
>>321985859
>>321985813
I'm from the future and DaS3 pvp is completely backstab-based, just like DaS1
>>
>>321986032
>>321986295
This.

The game is undoubtly not good as DaS1, but this guy still managed to save it and make it a a very good game and a decent souls game. it could end so much worse and this guy still managed to save it.
Also, the DLC's are some of the best levels ever in any souls game including Bloodborne.
So yeah, DaS3 is going to be fine i hope. I just hope the PVP will be as good and balanced as DaS2 pvp was.
>>
>>321984710
>life gems
>BB

Fuck off. You get estus, but you can farm it. There's no "heres a billion slow health regen items", you may get one or two blood vials that you use to heal slowly with.
>>
>>321987110
>blood vials
>slow
?
>>
>>321987071
Miyazaki and his team are back for DaS3 so there's hope.
As long as it doesn't fucking buffer the dodge like Bloodborne does.
>>
>>321987149
Notice how I said 1 or 2. I'm talking about the special blood vials you can find that go in yor use item slot that heal you over time instead of instantly.
>>
>>321987156

Sure it won't, as long as you're playing on PC
>>
File: das3.png (796 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
das3.png
796 KB, 1280x720
>>321987071
>So yeah, DaS3 is going to be fine i hope. I just hope the PVP will be as good and balanced as DaS2 pvp was.
I mean, I might be wrong, but as far as I know they both are involved. IIRC Miya worked on level design while Yui dealt with the other stuff, so DaS3 will almost definitely turn out to be great.
Also friendly reminder to "FEAR THE SUNS TEMPTAIONS AND THE WINGED EXECUTIONER".
>>
File: rime knight.jpg (129 KB, 1920x1133) Image search: [Google]
rime knight.jpg
129 KB, 1920x1133
>>
>>321987807
Looks like a loyce knight

Nice to see that they are using a variety of designs
>>
File: aava.jpg (84 KB, 591x369) Image search: [Google]
aava.jpg
84 KB, 591x369
>>321988243
>loyce knight
>no ice powers
>not shiny white plate armour
>fights like a normal humanoid

>frost guy from the network test area
>breathes ice fog, applies frostbite debuff on hits that prevents you from regaining stamina
>fights on all fours like an animal
>shiny reflective armour with multiple segmets

Just because they're both vaguely related to ice doesn't mean they're identical.
>>
>>321981475
Didn't watch the video, but I don't understand how someone can say DS2 is more difficult because of more enemies.

The first thing you see is that enemies have better placement, and the game is way harder, while being less frustrating. The problem with DS1 was exactly the fact that enemy placement is just retarded, and the game is easier than DS2 in every way, but so much more frustrating.
>>
>>321989167
I played DS2 first but I had way more trouble with DS1 desu...
>>
DS2 only has a single area that I would call poorly designed, and I have no idea if it was fixed in SotFS.
In the castle (I can't remember the name, sorry), there's a room with buttons and doors. Pressing the buttons opens the corresponding door, and behind some of them are Ruin Sentinels. Once you open a door, there's no going back. Every time you want to investigate that room, there are about 4 Sentinels you have to kill every single time because of the distance at which you agro them.
>>
>>321989947
There never were any buttons. Those are traps and the doors open once you approach too close.
You only have to fight like 1 sentinel to get past the area, everything else is purely optional.
You can kill all the sentinels one by one.
You also get rewards for killing them
That room was just designed to punish people who are not careful enough, I dont see any problems with that.
>>
>>321990445
>Not careful enough
How can you possibly know where to go in that room?
If the Sentinels aggro wasn't such that they rush you the moment you step in the foot in the door I would agree with you.
>>
>>321981475
So I'm watching his Dark Souls critique and while I'm still only on the first video, I feel he's not that good at this. Mic quality aside, it's quite obvious that he's trying to do some sort of guide objectively but bizarrely becomes quite personal & victimized at some points leading me to believe the parts where he's "objective" is just based on other people's information or wiki info since he's so detached from it in comparison to when he becomes emotion and begins complaining.

Honestly while I see what he's doing, I can't get past the fact that I've heard it word for word before but then it's juxtaposed with "this is bullshit, I didn't find it fair, there's no warning, I have no idea how this made it to the final cut"
>>
>>321990619
>How can you possibly know where to go in that room?
>see a massive empty room
>lots of closed doors
>hibernating stone soldiers that you've already met before are all over the place
>two giant sacrificial statues
It just screams "this is a trap".
Personally, I got past that room on my second try.
>If the Sentinels aggro wasn't such that they rush you the moment you step in the foot in the door I would agree with you.
All you have to do is turn left right as you enter the hall and not run around the whole room trying to dodge one sentinel you've awaken, cause that will inevitably trigger even more of them.
>>
This is a pretty obvious shilling thread, but hes a moron either way. "A bunch of enemies" is not bad game design, and if it was he should hate dark souls and demons, becuase they did the same exact thing
>>
Well, a couple of things:

Firstly, Lifegems are 100% optional and do not need to be used.

>enemies were so well designed

No, they weren't. You're correct when you say they telegraphed a lot but that's precisely the reason the game is so pitifully easy, coupled with the gigantic iFrames and parry window anything but bosses were simply a matter of circling around them. There is no risk and at no point did I feel like an enemy was capable of outsmarting me or putting me in a position where I couldn't circumvent the majority of their offense by simply walking around them. Dark Souls 2 is guilty of this but also has moments where you have to use your environment to manipulate enemies, funneling groups through tunnels, dragging them in front of weapons, etc. All Souls games are guilty of the over telegraphing high damage moves problem.

Dark Souls 2 is harder in the sense that I can't cheese every single encounter by backstabbing or parrying somebody. But it's still painfully easy. Bloodborne was a step in the right direction to making the series more naturally difficult but even that falls flat, especially when the series' notoriety is being OMG SO HARD and LE GIT GUD simulator.
>>
File: 1451116836943.jpg (14 KB, 580x361) Image search: [Google]
1451116836943.jpg
14 KB, 580x361
Hey shill! check this 2
>>
>>321987071

>undoubtly not good as DaS1

It's better than DaS1 with DLC and worse than Bloodborne with DLC.
>>
File: Dark Souls 2 Yuri Boogaloo.webm (2 MB, 1243x683) Image search: [Google]
Dark Souls 2 Yuri Boogaloo.webm
2 MB, 1243x683
>>321984356
Run up towards them but keep circling back. When you've baited out the lingering flame, do a running attack. If they use the flame shotgun, roll through it and do a rolling attack.
Alternatively, give in and let this happen
>>
>>321992092
This is what shit eating retards actually believe
>>
Lots of mob encounters wouldn't be so infuriating if people just used the consumables the game gives you. And the game gives you a ton of them.
>>
>>321995805
Outside of the gargoyle boss fight on a dex character I never felt the need to use them. Fuck that boss fight so much
>>
File: 1399184345481.jpg (1 MB, 1000x1500) Image search: [Google]
1399184345481.jpg
1 MB, 1000x1500
>>321995805
Not only that but people seemed to ignore the fact that different weapons have different movesets and some weapons are better at dealing with groups than others. It's like they grabbed their longsword and used nothing else all game, despite the fact that axes and greatswords can be used to cleave through groups of enemies with wide swings. Halberd r2s were made for cutting through group encounters even when surrounded. You can even use a spear or lance to lure enemies into a narrow hallway or doorway and pierce through all of them at once.

But because Dark Souls taught these people to only equip one weapon at a time they completely forget about the other 40 in their inventory and cry bullshit when they come up to an encounter that their longsword can't handle.

It's fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>321996537
Which game are you talking about because I am talking about dark souls 2. Most consumables in dark souls 1 are pretty useless because of how encounters work.

Dark souls 2 has a lot of encounters were a well placed bomb helps a lot. Getting elemental defence from burrs and rings makes some areas like amana way easier.
>>
>>321996901
I didn't find consumables that much more useful in DS2 compared to DS1 because I didn't feel the need to use them in either. Every time I did it just felt like cheesing
>>
>>321995805
Yeah the lmao 6gargoyles would be much less infuriating if I used the hundreds of lifegems I had, of course, why didn't I think of that?
>>
>Every time I did it just felt like cheesing
That's an annoying problem in the dark souls community. I got called out for cheesing because I gave myself elemental defence against Darklurker when doing that boss.

>>321997381
Or bombs when they bunch up. Or fucking resins.
>>
>>321997698
also meant to quote >>321997183
>>
>played DeS
>loved it
>played DaS
>loved it
>just bought DaS II a week ago
>liking it so far
/v/ convinced me that DaS II was terrible, with broken hit boxes and unfair enemies grouping together so I was expecting something like this.

Thanks hivemind /v/, your insisting parroting and hate bandwagon made me appreciate this game.
>>
>>321997698
>using weaknesses and strategies the game provides to beat it instead of turtle your way to victory
>cheesing
when you mean "community" you actually mean....what site?
>>
>>321997821
The game is fucking garbage. If you're too much of a shit eating retard to see that then I think you should strongly consider suicide.
>>
>>321997821
The main complaint is the world design which is definitely legit. Glad that you are having fun though.

>>321997976
4chan and I got a load of replies
>>
>>321996843
Current DS2 dex build, standard "walkin' around" gear for me is
>L hand - shield swappabled to max level poison scim
>R hand - Max warped sword (speed and slash type), Bow with standard and poison arrows, DK halberd (for ranged melee, pierce and fire damage)

And that's just to get from one place to another. You gotta have a whole arsenal of specialized shit to be ready for anything. I think some people just didn't (or refused to) adapt to DS2's ramped up difficulty. I'm personally really enjoying the game but I still think it's the weakest in the series. "weakest in the series" should not be overstated into the idea that it's a bad game in any way. I mean, it's still a souls game. It's just ugly and unrefined in terms of presentation.
>>
>>321997821
>listening to /v/
>ever

these are the same retards who voted mother 3 as the second best game of all time
>>
>>321998107
you sound so upset it's adorable.
>>
>>321997698
Elemental resistances are fine, I'm mostly talking about ranged attacks/bombs/poison and extra healing items. Enemies are still shit at dealing with getting sniped and I still feel like the game was balanced around only having estus.
>>
>>321981475
You're more than 3 years late.
>>
>>321998136
ah yes, the world design feels disconnected, like more than a DaS II it's actually a DeS II.
>>
>>321998136
>4chan and I got a load of replies
figures
>>
File: 1402114363774.jpg (40 KB, 403x483) Image search: [Google]
1402114363774.jpg
40 KB, 403x483
>>321998107(You)
>>321994701(You)
(You)
(You)

(You)

(You)

There you go budy that should be enough (You)s to keep you happy for a while.
>>
>>321998318
I thought the world design of demons souls was incredible
>>
>So this Dark Souls 2 analysis video by this retard
nice shill thread OP
>>
>>321998286
I wouldn't call using an emergency bomb at close range at a cluster of enemies, cheesing. Same with knives when you don't have many ranged options.
>>
>>321998441
Kill yourself.
>>
>>321998446
it was, but sometimes Shrine Of Storms and 2-2 feel repetitive and boring. Specially next to Boletaria and Latria
>>
>>321981475
>>321981797
This is a nearly two year old game, we've talked and bitched about it to fucking death. Goddamn no one fucking cares anymore fuck. It's a decent game, not a decent souls game, is the prevailing opinion, fuck off with your shitty youtube shilling you fucking cunt.
>>
>>321998581
Normally I'd agree with you but this is a Souls game. Enemies cannot deal with ranged attacks at all. At most they'll put up a shield that resists 90% of the damage but at range, most of them have absolutely no way to fight it. Getting in close to strike them involves you taking a risk because they can hit you. Using a ranged attack at a human opponent is a risk because he can dodge it and punish you. Using a throwing knife or a bomb against an enemy is more or less a guaranteed hit since most enemies can't block, roll or even move out of the way
>>
Other than the disconnected world and lore, the game doesn't feel any less bullshit than the rest of the series. Even the so called "copypasted" ambushes can be dealt with if you keep cool
>>
>>321998176
Sounds like a good loadout my man. Only thing I would add is a mail breaker for shield piercing certain enemies and huge backstabs/ripostes. I think it only weighs 0.5 units too so you should be able to use it without it affecting your roll.
>>
>>321997821
It's not a bad game by any means. In fact if the previous Souls games didn't exist it would probably be GOTY

Its main problem is that while it addressed some minor issues found in previous installments, it ruined some of its most important aspects, primarily world building
>>
File: 1451310553573.gif (17 KB, 700x400) Image search: [Google]
1451310553573.gif
17 KB, 700x400
>ranged options are now cheesing
the only thing that's "cheesing" is terrain abuse, everything else if fair game.
>>
>>321998961
it's not a problem of the ambushes being manageable or not, the issue is they reek of lazy design and are boring as fuck to tackle

Same about most of the hit-sponge bosses
>>
>>321998870
>It's a decent game, not a decent souls game

I hate this meme. It's a shit game in general not just a shit Souls game.
>>
>>321999281
>meme
Go make a drake posting thread if you want to be a faggot.
>>
File: 1404694796019.png (444 KB, 512x366) Image search: [Google]
1404694796019.png
444 KB, 512x366
>>321999281(You)
>>321998684(You)
Whoa hey there looks like he needs more (You)s guys better dish em out quick!

(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
>>
>>321999269
"damage sponges"? If anything, some of these bosses go down too quickly.
>>
I've never thought that backstab fishing was a big issue for PvE in Dark Souls 1. It's not as dead simple as people make it out to be. Lots of enemies can't be backstabed, and others are annoying to straight up circle in such a simple manner. For these enemies, you realistically would want to deflect their attack or make their attack whiff before you circle for a backstab. Yes, in the end it still means you can still consistently backstab but it's not ruining the game done like this.

Every playthrough I've watched does not feature an extraordinary amount of these dead simple backstabs like people describe. I've played dozen of PvE characters that actually fought everything and never felt the game was ruined either by deliberating backstabbing enemies or deliberating refusing to backstab enemies.

If the Dark Souls 2 development team implemented unfun amounts of tracking to address backstabs that doesn't make it defensible. They should have left it alone if they couldn't improve the system properly
>>
>>321999281
>buy a Ferrari
>still performs better than a regular car but not as good as previous models have
>try to tell this to shitposter-kun
>he starts going on about memes
And you wonder why you have no friends
>>
>>321998923
What the hell? At that range it is a matter of life and death. If I didn't use the bomb they would just mob me. Me using bombs can remove their unfair advantage of outnumbering me.

>Using a throwing knife or a bomb against an enemy is more or less a guaranteed hit since most enemies can't block, roll or even move out of the way

Many weapons can deal damage to enemies without the player being hit, and the enemies will rarely avoid or block the damage.

What is with this obsession with every encounter should only be defeated by rolling and using your sword to backstab? I felt great after killing most the mob and surviving the encounter with that bomb because it meant that my planning, quick thinking/reflexes and preparedness paid off. The thought of cheesing never came to my mind.
>>
>>321981475
Watched it OP and I can aggree with this guy, he got his shit together. I think boths games are even and trying just different things. I just like dark souls 2 for the polished coop, more fluid animations (-spin 2 win enemies, this is totally whack but a needed evil) and more Items, areas and content overall while lacking the bullshit 2d half dark souls had so overall its just like one point higher on a scale from 1-10 than dark souls 1. After playing ds1, one just need to invest more time to understad what this game is trying to archieve, it has been with all souls games ever, every installation does something different and new and calling ds2 a BAD souls games is bonkers because there is nothing like a souls game but a game with souls mechanics and even this is dumb because mechanics in these games are chaning. Step it up ds1 faggots, ds 2 is really a good sequel. Sooner or later you will understand this as I had to.peace
>>
>>321998107
Wew, right my Arian blue eyed, white skinned nazi brother. lets spread hate speech about things we dont like the aryan nazi way. You know WITHOUT ANY FUCKING ARGUMENTS
PIECES OF SHIT LIKE YOU GET BLOWN THE FUCK OUT OF THE WATER AND YOU CANT DO ANYTHING BUT CRY
>>
>>321981475
He complains about the 1v2 situation in Anor Londo, but it's easily possible to fight 2 giants without taking damage. The game just requires you to position yourself correctly rather than locking on with a shield and turtling. The best way to deal with them is to not lock on at all, and run to avoid their attacks. This can even be done with the speed of a heavy armor set.

The other situation with the 3 enemies in the undead parish is easy too. Any medium shield can deflect their attacks leaving them open, you can maneuver through the terrain until there's an opening, or you can flat out parry each enemy.

Not to mention every single one of those situations can be tackled by luring the enemies out 1 at a time.
Thread replies: 125
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.