[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
You know what should be mandatory for AAA games? a demo released
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: kotaku.png (78 KB, 726x773) Image search: [Google]
kotaku.png
78 KB, 726x773
You know what should be mandatory for AAA games? a demo released a few months before the full relase of the game. That way the devs couldn't trick people into buying crap.
>>
>>321976316
I don't disagree, but why should it have to be released a few months before?
>>
>>321976316
This used to be a real thing for PC games, back when file planet was a thing.
>>
>>321976413
To give you time to think about buying the game
>>
>>321976316

The amount of time and effort required to produce a functional demo of that scale would significantly detract from production of the final game, especially so close to release date
>>
>>321976571
How come most games got demos before 2010?
>>
>>321976546
I don't see why there should be a rush; if the demo was released along side the game, you could still do that.
>>
File: 1345309537472.jpg (38 KB, 458x464) Image search: [Google]
1345309537472.jpg
38 KB, 458x464
>>321976571
no it wouldn't. Certain parts of the team are finished before others and all of them are finished before QA has a full go at the game. That time period could be spent making a demo instead of deciding what parts to cut out for DLC.
>>
>>321976571
How about just the first 10 of a game?
A game should be even slightly intriguing and have a good amount of gameplay in that time.
>>
Why can't they just do the shareware model where they let you play the first couple levels and then you have to buy the rest? The Evil Within's demo was like that and it made me want to buy the game.
For open world games they could give you some number of missions in a limited amount of the open world
>>
>>321976316
Kotaku should really stop writing a bunch of squiggly lines in place of words
>>
>>321976649

After the game was finished
>>
op is autism incarnate
>>
>>321977486

rude
this is a bully free zone
>>
>>321976316
what is piracy, alex
>>
File: 804.gif (488 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
804.gif
488 KB, 400x300
>>321976571
Lie, put in the first couple of levels.

>inb4: but then they will just make the first few hours really good
They already do that to fool reviewers.

The Camarilla of /v/ has decided to pass OP's resolution.
Hear! Hear!
>>
>>321976546
>actually like the game
>end up playing the demo for months
>full game comes out
>kinda tired of playing it
>ended up repeating the same level for 50 hours and never getting the full game
>>
>>321976316
They still could. Have you ever paid attention to how a lot of games have awesome intro levels and it either tapers off or nosedives in to mediocre or terrible?
>>
>>321977059
fuck that, that shit is blue-balls city and is going to piss off every poor kid just like how it pissed me off as a kid.
An hour long demo of the full game should be the standard. Bandwidth be damned, upgrade your shit north america
>>
>>321977975
>that shit is blue balls city

that's the point.
>>
>>321976316
They did this for mass effect 3
End up pretty much telling me how the entire game was going to be without me even know.
>get bored of single player after 2 playthroughs (both in demo and real game)
>spend comparable hours to single player demo to multiplayer demo to real game

Basicly multiplayer carried that game.
>>
>>321976316
>Mandatory demo
Okay, I can see this being good, I mean they used to ...
>the devs couldn't trick people into buying crap
You poor, naive soul. Pad the game so that the first half is chalk full of action, and then leave the second half basically a rush to the finish line. They then do a demo of the very early part, where it's still at its best, and this very easily tricks you into buying this.

They call those 'betas' these days, however, but it's basically the same thing.
>>
>>321977835
Is anybody but you retarded enough to to that? Who plays a demo for months? Even demos that had a sandbox environment like crackdown or just cause didn't last me that long.
>>
>>321976316
or buy from steam/gog where you can refund shit
>>
>>321978297
When they used to send demo discs with magazines and I was a fucking kid, I would play the hell out of some cool boarders and nightmare creatures, faggot.
>>
I don't think Ive been tricked into buying a bad game since the PS1 era. Do some research and stop falling for shitty marketing.
>>
>>321976690
The parts of the team that are finished before all others wouldn't be able to make such a thing as a demo by themselves, otherwise the'd be working on finishing the game along the rest.

YOU.

IDIOT.
>>
File: demos_shitquality.jpg (32 KB, 550x451) Image search: [Google]
demos_shitquality.jpg
32 KB, 550x451
never take business advice from an anonymous image board
>>
>>321978427
Well you're not a kid anymore so show some self control you gigantic tard
>>
>>321978297
>>321977835
>by beyblades for ps1 at game crazy for like 4 bucks.
>back of the case has an add for spyro
>2 months later take a closer look
>"wait, that's not an add, its a demo disk!"
>play spyro
>turns out it was the full game
>>
>>321978764
Nice, are we playing the draw your own graph and pretend its real game?

Even if it's real
>Implying it's business advice and not for the costumer's convenience.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.