[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you ever dropped a game purely for its shitty story, even
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
File: purplefrizz1-e1425707137921.png (451 KB, 650x811) Image search: [Google]
purplefrizz1-e1425707137921.png
451 KB, 650x811
Have you ever dropped a game purely for its shitty story, even if you liked the gameplay a fair bit?
>>
Undertale has good gameplay AND a good story.

And good characters, good music, good atmosphere, etc.

Basically, it's a top-tier game that everyone needs to play.
>>
File: ff9.jpg (22 KB, 250x239) Image search: [Google]
ff9.jpg
22 KB, 250x239
Almost. I stuck with it to watch Kuja die. It was very unsatisfying.
>>
No, gameplay is the only thing that matters. Well, gameplay and cute girls.
>>
File: 1450356001131.jpg (14 KB, 255x255) Image search: [Google]
1450356001131.jpg
14 KB, 255x255
>>321961765
>>
>>321961765
Wrong thread?
>>
>>321961581
The team who made this game followed me on twitter to try and coax me into buying it.

I never did, just because of that fact.
>>
>>321962730
Well having played it, the physics are good and all but it needs a few more patches before I'd recommend it. Reminds me of a combination of old n64 platformers and Mac games I used to play in like 2001
>>
File: ed0.png (491 KB, 442x600) Image search: [Google]
ed0.png
491 KB, 442x600
Skyward Sword nearly did, It was painful to watch knowing it was technically an origin story when Zelda games are usually just bland stories anyway but hardly worth stopping the game over.

>Hey I'm the love interest whose supposed to play the Goddess in this sky ceremony. >WOULDN'T IT BE FUNNY IF I ACTUALLY WAS THE GODDESS AND THIS WAS THE GAME'S ACTUAL TWIST?
>Leave the second Time Gate Open for the entire game, nobody thinks for a second that ANYONE would dare use it to say...get to Zelda/Imprisoned in the past or something.
>>
Destiny has a really weird story to me but the game play and loot aspect keeps me going.
>>
>>321961765
So? What does that have to do with this thread?

>>321961581
Nope, never, most games have shitty or very recycled/typical stories.
I just hate that every game now has to have cinematics and dialogues, most of them are 90's b-movie tier and it's just terrible to stop gameplay because of some animation. I loved animations when I was a kid, now I find them a waste of time mostly.
>>
I really don't give a shit about story tbqh.

If the game has good gameplay, I can look past it
>>
>>321961581
I'll drop a game if the story cuts into the gameplay too much, does that count?
>>
>>321961581
I dropped Lunar 2 aftee disc 1. Gameplay was nice but completely repetitive, and story was stretched out, non explaining boredom.
>>
>>321961581
No i'm not a modern day journalist.

>>321961765
>Undertale is the first post

Oh HERE we go
>>
Valkyrie Chronicles wasn't that fun, but the mission with that fucking winged pig you save pushed me over the edge. The dialogue is atrocious.
>>
I didnt quit but Undertale. The overall narrative just made me want to walk away, too much wink-wink stuff, it just wasnt for me. Reminded me of Homestuck which was a bad sign right off the bat, and people are still deluded enough to think that that has good writing too.

Adversely, a game that kept me playing through questionable gameplay was Blood Omen:Legacy of Kain, the narrative was like a neat little book.
>>
Neptunia
>>
>>321961581
Bravely Default.
>>
>>321965770
you what, the story and characters are the best part.
>>
SMT Nocturne.
It's not that there's a story and it's bad, it's that there's not enough of one to coast me through a 50+ hour JRPG.
The gameplay's great, but the novelty wears off after 40 hours. Especially because I've played so much other MegaTen.
Usually in a JRPG, once the gameplay starts getting stale I stick with it to the end because I'm 80% through the story and I'm invested and I want to see how it ends. I had no such tie to Nocturne.
>>
>>321961765
you aren't wrong but fuck off
>>
I don't think so. Usually if a game is fun I'll at least finish it even if I think the story is trash.

A bad story can definitely lower my overall opinion of a game though. For example I had a decent amount of fun with Tales of Graces f, and did finish the game (and the future arc), but tend to rate it pretty low largely because the story is fucking unbearably awful even by Tales standards. And I probably won't ever replay it, because the thought of dealing with that plot and those characters again just makes me cringe internally.

>>321966364

I can see that. I liked that game for the gameplay but holy shit the story was just aggravating sometimes. Even in the first half that people liked, I have a laundry list of complaints about the story.

There was only one twist I did enjoy towards the end of the game, because I like stupid meta bullshit. Everything else about the story was Godawful.
>>
>>321961581
Braid
>>
bamp
>>
>>321961581
Lost Planet series
>>
>>321961581
I'm actually surprised I haven't with this question now being posed. I've dropped TV shows for horrible stories, but never dropped a movie or video game for it.

I guess that just goes to show I'm mostly using them for entertainment rather than intellectual stimulation.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.