[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>write 3,000-words essay about Bloodborne >complain that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9
File: mattroriebloodborne.jpg (241 KB, 1003x595) Image search: [Google]
mattroriebloodborne.jpg
241 KB, 1003x595
>write 3,000-words essay about Bloodborne
>complain that people might correct his words with equally long videos and texts

Is there any other medium that gathers so much passive-aggressive hypocritical people around it like videogames? I don't think shit like this would fly with movies, books etc.

Everyone that works with vidya (even if only partially, like the guy in this pic) seems to have this holier-than-thou attitude, like if they truly believed their opinions are better than the opinions of others.

Can you guys post any other examples of people with this attitude?
>>
File: Darth-Vader_6bda9114.jpg (57 KB, 768x431) Image search: [Google]
Darth-Vader_6bda9114.jpg
57 KB, 768x431
>>
>>321948469

He knows the emperor is above him, he doesn't have that attitude. He's definitely not passive aggressive either.
>>
>>321948114
what the fuck, I thought he liked these games. I still remember the first dark souls quick look, that was the moment in time I started playing these games for the first time.

I'm glad I gave up on this worthless website a year ago. Bunch of tossers.
>>
>>321948114
He has literal brain damage from a year or so of heavy alcoholism from losing his job.
>>
>Can you guys post any other examples of people with this attitude?

Sure, just listen to their GOTY podcasts.
>>
>>321948650
You're right come to think of it.

Star Wars has a pretty big hatedom regarding the prequels. Plenty of them make hours of arguments discussing them piece by piece.

Yet plenty are open to responses or don't care if people hate them. I found a few flaws with those Plinkett videos but it doesn't change their overall point and the movie is still shit.
>>
What are the chalice worlds?
>>
>>321949328
They don't need to be good at reviews or explain their opinion. No one listens to them for that. People don't read reviews to be informed. People want to validate themselves so they don't feel remorse.
>>
>>321948114
He has a point though. The Souls games and Bloodborne have confusing lore and having the player read item descriptions is a bad way to convey it.
>>
>>321948114
comic books.

anything "hipsters" like.

beer? coffee? music.
>>
>>321950946
This

I live in a high concentration of hipsters and this shit is horrible.
> let me tell you why this food better
> that beer is not made to be drank from that glass
> coffee..... Do you even fair trade bro?
>>
>>321951802
Speaking of this California just needs to be wiped off from the face of the earth.
>>
>>321951959
so does new york and chicago and canada.
>>
>>321952069
Only the big cities in each. They foster the worst kinds of attitudes and people.
>>
>>321952069
Chicago is still mostly salt-of-the-earth Rust-Belters, even if they are a silent majority compared to the niggers and millennials and corrupt public servants. New York has never had decent people.
>>
>>321948114
he makes a fair point, at least from a casual play perspective. the lore isn't presented in a cut and dry fashion, you must actively seek it out and put it together yourself (or watch a youtube video) to grasp what's going on around the player.
>>
>>321952329
>>321952358
Who the hells voting for all these assholes then in the "chicago machine" that destroyed the clinton machine?
>>
>>321952649
The mostly-decent Chicagoans are very cynical to politics, some are so mindfucked by the corruption that they think corruption actually helps them. Everyone has given up on helping anyone but their tribe, whatever that may be. They only vote if someone can promise the tribe something.
>>
>>321952419
that's kinda the appeal to it.
>>
>>321950785
I like it
It makes items matter more than they would otherwise, in that it takes an item that would be instantly forgettable in another game like a key or a consumable item and gives it some flair
If the alternative is sitting through cutscenes or listening to NPC dialogue I'd rather have item descriptions
>>
>>321948114
>>
>>321955289
simply epic
>>
>>321948114
If you're really into Souls, it must be cool as fuck and interesting to learn about, but if you only like it a bit it must seem like the most confusing shit ever and having thousands of people jump down your throat for not being caught up is annoying as fuck.

He isn't wrong.
>>
File: brad.png (3 KB, 269x34) Image search: [Google]
brad.png
3 KB, 269x34
HE CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT.
>>
>>321948114
I'll admit that some of the stuff is sometimes confusing and the item descriptions narrator likes to play the fool a lot. Though a lot of the shit he's complaining about it's clear that he hasn't gotten past the first area or two.

Imagine a world where people actually play the games before they bitch about them.
>>
>>321948114
>no you're hunter
>You can actually change into a beast if you go into the DLC and beat Laurence so you'll get the rune
>it's just what they call you. To them you are a beast (because you're running around and killing them).
>Most of them don't actually need to die but if you actually played the game you'd realize they're trying to contact something called the Old Ones and they're making people go crazy
>Because she's turning them into Aliens and you're getting a reward
>The whole dream thing is really just different planes of existence
>It's where every hunter goes for communion. Also there is some lore stuff and grinding.

This guy isn't 60 hours in. I can understand not liking a game but being a retard is no excuse.
>>
>>321952069
w-what's wrong with Canada?
>>
>>321948114
>Bloodborne players are all insecure shitters
What a surprise
>>
>>321958654
Lots of PC people come from Toronto. As usual, they fuck things up for the rest of the country.
>>
File: 1433856627015.jpg (9 KB, 300x284) Image search: [Google]
1433856627015.jpg
9 KB, 300x284
Rorie's right for the most part, Bloodborne is probably the souls game with the least amount of explanation as to what you're supposed to be doing. I think Gherman just says you should probably kill some stuff because that's what hunters do. Compare that to Darksouls or DeS and I can see where hes coming from.
>>
File: Co-oping Martyr Logarius.webm (3 MB, 560x376) Image search: [Google]
Co-oping Martyr Logarius.webm
3 MB, 560x376
I hate video game culture so much.
>>
>>321948114

>I have no clue what is going on.

What a fucking dipshit.

You have to be attentive because the story takes a backseat to the gameplay, as it should. They don't shove it down your throat with unskippable dialogue or cringeworthy characters. It's there for you to discover. If you don't see it then it's just your own stupidity that's in the way.
>>
Not trying to sound like a souls fag but this
>it's unconventional therefore it's shit and I don't like it
mentality is cancer that is ruining vidya

also 3000 words isn't that long, especially if he's a journalist that's nothing. I don't know who he is though
>>
>im going to spend time writing an essay about a game that I didn't explore fully
why bother? nobody gives a fuck about your 3000 word essay if you can't even be fucked to read the fucking words in the game
>>
>>321959015
I always see an image about this but I really don't care much to look it up, what were the niggers saying?
>>
>>321948114
If the item descriptions really bothered somebody that much, I have to question why they're bothering to play the 4th game in a series where lore conveyed through item descriptions.

I'd assume after the 2nd game he should have realised this wasn't for him.
>>
>>321957004
It's just the community of souls games being fucks, the games are great though

The games themselves don't punish you for not being aware of the story though, the first time I played through any of them I didn't understand half of what went on
>>
>>321952069
and Austin

I have fucking ptsd that gets triggered by hipsters and liberals from living in Austin for a year

if I had a button in front of me labeled "nuke Austin" and another labeled "get a million dollars" I would honestly push the first one
>>
>>321958953
But that is what hunters do.
You awoke in the hunters dream, ergo, you are a hunter and should go out a-hunting.
>>
>>321958894
Just wipe out the GTA and be done with it
>>
>>321958654
>>321958654
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLk2aSBrR6U

>>
>giving a fuck about matt "dog fucker" rorie
>>
File: v Niggered.gif (99 KB, 230x290) Image search: [Google]
v Niggered.gif
99 KB, 230x290
>>321959496
>WE R WYMIN, BLOK WYMIN!
>WE R GONA TAIL YU TO FUCK OF AD LET US TAK ABOT RACISM
>>
I never would have thought I'd come to the point of hating almost everyone from giant bomb but Vinny.
>>
>>321948114
>write 3,000-words essay about Bloodborne
fucking autistic
>>
>>321950785
>and having the player read item descriptions is a bad way to convey it.
No it's not. It's a superb way to convey it since it is very immersive. Having everything announced loudly and showed in your face is terrible.
>>
>>321948114
I can see that. He's not willing to put the leg work in to understanding the lore of these games and he finds it frustrating.

That's a totally valid perspective. And always has been a weakness of the Soulsborne series - the story elements are obfuscated so you can chose if you want to care about the story. I can see the perspective of making the story more accessible though.
>>
>>321959910
Seriously, fuck Trudeau.
I hope our country goes even more to shit just so when things start going even more wrong I can flat out say that I never supported him rub in the faces of every one who did.
>>
>>321948114
>halfway through second podcast
>Living Failures Alex and Austin are ganging up and shitting all the AAA games and touting the shitty indies

why couldn't their plane had crashed
>>
>>321957373
I really enjoyed destiny, and every time I try to ask what was wrong with it I just get quoted the production cost, or that it was grindy.

The second one is a valid criticism, but its hardly game ruining. The raids were possibly the best videogame content released that year.
>>
>>321948114
>I didn't post this beacause fans of it are so easily butthurt.
>WHAT!? Guys!! He almost said something critical of my precious souls games. I'm so almost butthurt it's like I'm actually butthurt!
>>
>>321960304

I can't stand Austin's voice it's so annoying
>>
Hopefully DS3 is simple and obvious as fuck so all the jew youtubers that make money off of other peoples stupidity are fucked out of a job. pls miyazaki-san
>>
>>321959496
They were mad that Bernie Sanders didn't talk about Black Lives Matter yet. At a speech for Black Lives Matter.
>>
>>321960083
While I generally like the way lore and story is told in souls, item descriptions are absolutely not a good way to convey it. It makes no sense diagetically. Like how the fuck are you as a character finding out all this shit just from an item?

Souls excels at environmental storytelling the most
>>
File: 1416523214893.png (265 KB, 374x353) Image search: [Google]
1416523214893.png
265 KB, 374x353
Is this a Giant Bomb thread or not?
>>
>>321959614
you sound like a cool guy
>>
He's right. Souls fanbase is autistic as Fuck. Fact of the matter is the story is not meant to be consumed through normal play, and I guess that's not necessarily an issue, but why waste such good atmosphere and lore for nothing more than a theme for the levels. That's at least how most people who play these games see it.
>>
>>321948114
He's right, cryptic lore doesn't excuse you from not having a story.
>>
>>321961516
You don't need an excuse.
>>
>>321961324
The story, for those who care for it, is there to be discovered in an interesting way instead of being forced through cutscenes.
I do wish it was explained to the player character a little more though, because it seems a little odd that he goes through all the trouble of slaughtering dragons and gods for almost no reason.
>>
>>321961596
Even the most basic game has a story. If you expect the player to spend dozens of hours in your world you better have a story and characters.
>>
>>321961516
What other games do this though? It's nice having a game that doesn't spoon feed. I think it's just part of the charm of souls games.
>>
>>321961794
>you better have .....
an Arbitrary meaningless rule made by hipster sjws that want to over state the importance of story in games
>>
>>321950785
It's the perfect way to do it.

People who don't care about the lore and just want to kill shit can play without getting a cutscene every two minutes.

People who are interested in the world and its lore can read shit every time they find a new item, and get as much lore this way than they would from being force-fed 5 hours of cutscenes.

It's perfect faggot
>>
>>321958654
every person who lives there
>>
>>321961794
No, you don't. All you need in a game is gameplay you find fun. Other stuff is just a bonus.
>>
>>321961705
I mean yeah I agree, but there should be some balance. I completely agree with you and the guy from ops pic in tbat I have no fucking clue if I'm a beast or not in bloodborne, and why I'm being "hunted"
>>
>>321962564
Never played bloodborne, can't comment.
But Dark Souls 1 has a pretty clear story for anyone that bothered to look.
>>
>>321961794
Mario would be just as fun without the story. There are plenty of games all together. I mean a game like hitman has such a loosely connected story that I skip it and still love the games.
>>
>>321962695
Bloodborne is far more vague, intentionally so.
>>
I think an important distinguishment is that this medium is the most filled with and pandered to kids still. So the people posing as journalists get a pass for whatever unprofessional shit they do because the majority of the audience doesn't know better.
>>
>>321960407

I think my biggest complaint with is that it plays itself out like a MMORPG with its dailies/weeklies and grinds for gear. That's all fine and dandy, but that's not what I want on a console. if I want to play MMORPG I want it to be on my PC, where I have a mouse and keyboard at my disposal.
>>
File: 821.gif (1 MB, 263x368) Image search: [Google]
821.gif
1 MB, 263x368
>>321960092
>the Soulsborne series
>>
>>321960890
>how the fuck are you as a character

But the item descriptions aren't telling the character the information, they're telling you the information.
>>
>>321962564
It should be pretty obvious what's going on the moment you see how beastly the townspeople themselves look.
>>
tfw i didn't play matthew rorie's pga tour 2016
>>
>>321948114
He's not exactly wrong. Why do you faggots jump at people's throat for ''misinterpreting'' intentionally vague stuff that could mean many things?
>>
Are you ACTUALLY attempting to say that the game industry has more assholes that think they are better than everyone else in comparison to every other fucking medium?

Dude.

No.

Music is basically ran by being this kinda person.
Movies are made based on people thinking they are worth more than they really are.
Athletes think they are perfect and deserve another few million dollars every new season.
TV is ran by people who think they know what is best for the public.
Authors are all stuck up assholes if you critique anything they do.
Artists are some of the most stuck up, self centered people to ever be brought into this world.

The only fucking reason you think the game industry is nothing but that just now, is because gaming is mainstream now, more attention is brought out, more negative assholes are speaking up.

It's always been shit, just behind closed doors, in terms of people's personalities.

Less and less people actually care about making a video game, they only care about the dollar.

But it is not the most stuck up. Not by a huge fucking long shot.
>>
>>321963152
And that's one of the problem. The game has no good way to relaying the story and history of the world to your character, so the eldritch god of writing has to throw the script at you instead.
>>
>>321948114
sure. visit the waywt thread over on /fa/
>>
>>321948114
Why did you bother to underline the second paragraph? The whole thing is ridiculous, but the first paragraph even more so.
>>
>>321964192
o well
>>
>>321964074
Perhaps the people who partake in the industry are less assholey, meaning the devs and players.

But the people who comment and report about the medium, fuck no.

A professional movie review is going to be just that, professional. You won't find anita or phil fish, or the entire shitfest that was gamergate for movies.
Music and art might be stuck up, but they aren't childish about it. They don't insult their audience for disagreeing.
>>
He says he likes the game, and doesnt mind exploring. Hes just confused about the story. I dont get how you could be confused about the broad strokes of the story.
>>
>>321950785
its conveyed in bb by a guy using a gatling gun on you. Cutscenes and just you realizing who is actually causing the plague.
>>
>>321963152
That's why I said it's non diagetic. You have almost an entire game of storytelling that's done through your character except item descriptions
>>
>>321963152
Isn't it kinda weird for a RPG to do that (although Souls games are barely RPGs)? If you try to make a character and give him some sort of backstory, when it comes to making important decisions like choosing the endings of DaS (which snake do you think is right), you cannot use item descriptions as motivations for your character to choose an ending because they give information that only the player could get. So the player might choose an ending because of things he knows that the character couldn't possibly know, which breaks the immersion into your character.
>>
File: 1451302640681.gif (2 MB, 302x339) Image search: [Google]
1451302640681.gif
2 MB, 302x339
>>321948114
>I got around sixty hours into this game when I sat back and realized I had no clue what was going on.
>SIXTY HOURS

Clues and some minor narration are explicitly given to you in the first half hour of the game. If he's going to write a 3,000 word essay on how baffling a game is but refuse to make ANY EFFORT to understand the universe then he's a colossal asshole. Or a hyperbolic retard.
>>
>>321965443
These games actually do that quite well. Most of the lore found in items is either things relating to ancient history that wouldn't have too much of a bearing on current decisions, or things that your character could logically deduce from what they know and have.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.