[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What went wrong?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7
File: Donkey Kong 64.jpg (68 KB, 500x431) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong 64.jpg
68 KB, 500x431
What went wrong?
>>
It's better than banjo tooie at least
>>
Too much shit.
>>
Not enough collectibles.
>>
>lets make a collectathon
>now lets make 4 more characters who have to collect their own version of everything
aside from that it's a good game
>>
>>321942046
Less about platforming and more about collecting shit. It would have worked just fine if it was just DKC in actual 3D.

Also, the frame rate was god awful.
>>
File: Donkey Kong 64.jpg (121 KB, 955x699) Image search: [Google]
Donkey Kong 64.jpg
121 KB, 955x699
>>321942046
>>
File: 1450342769390.jpg (158 KB, 700x714) Image search: [Google]
1450342769390.jpg
158 KB, 700x714
Too much fucking collectables. It's pretty much playing through each level 5 different times. Just a pathetic way to extend the playtime.
>>
>>321942368

It didn't help that a bunch of the levels were boring as fuck.
>>
Instead of tight-ass platforming it's just a fucking collectathon where you have to retread same areas again and again. Mario managed to keep his essence through 2D -> 3D transition (even though M64 had some stupid bullshit in it), Donkey Kong didn't manage keep a ounce of it.
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 180x188) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 180x188
>>321942208
HE
>>
>>321942494
Frantic Factory was the best, dat music it had too
>>
>>321942090
What makes you think so? Banjo Tooie becomes a chore if you want to collect absolutely everything, but it improved on nearly everything about the first game. Donkey Kong 64 on the other hand isn't enjoyable at all.
>>
Movement is sluggish as fuck
>>
I liked it, even as a child where everything seemed awesome. Only problem was the amount of shit that you have to collect.

I'm actually kind of happy that collectathons stopped being a thing.
>>
>>321942494

It seems they did the Jungle and the Castle first as proofs of concepts and just then threw everything else together. Those two levels aren't amazing but there's a lot more thought in them than most of the rest of the game.
>>
>>321942560
HAS
>>
File: 1443789004727.gif (3 MB, 255x153) Image search: [Google]
1443789004727.gif
3 MB, 255x153
>>321942976
NO
>>
>>321942976
EVOLVED
>>
>>321942760
>I'm actually kind of happy that collectathons stopped being a thing.
Me too, I always found them as abominations that completely missed what actually made platformers good. Thank god we have stuff like Super Mario Galaxy and Tropical Freeze now instead of colored banana collectathon 2015.
>>
>>321943331
true but Yoshi's wooly world is a shameless collectathon
>>
>>321942090
NO
>>
Should I get this game from the Wii U e-shop or should I wait for the Wii U homebrew to come out? Also will it be possible to play emulated games on the Wii U gamepad?
>>
>>321943536

Wooly World still has platforming elements, sure collecting shit is the primary focus but you could technically just play Wooly World as a platformer and ignore the collectables.

3D Collectathons you really couldn't do that because collecting shit was literally the only way to progress, and platforming in general was a minor thing.
>>
>>321942046
Nothing, it is the greatest game ever made in human history.
>>
>>321943809

A warning about the Wii U VC release, they fixed the frame rate.

While this does mean the game works much faster now, certain things that were tested with the slower N64 framerates are now considerably harder. Notably the minigame where you have to fire a cannon at bananas and miss the Kongs. You pretty much have to pause buffer that shit now.
>>
>>321942046

Everything that went wrong with Banjo-Tooie, multiplied by 5.
>>
btw, Super Mario 3 is a shameless collectathon.

Take That as you will. Yes, the platforming is better i know.
>>
>>321942584
>it improved on nearly everything about the first game

Oh boy, I sure do love big empty levels, having my moveset bloated with so many context sensitive moves that they had to split Banjo and Kazooie up to fit them all on the controller, and having to drag Mumbo Jumbo to the pad with his face on it, take him back to his hut and then never use him again!
>>
>>321944347
Not the original dude, but Banjo Tooie isn't as bad as DK64.
I agree with everything you said about Tooie because it does have a lot of emptiness and unnecessary bullshit, but DK64 is tedium after the first few levels.
>>
>>321944051
Thanks anon, I'll keep that in mind.
>>
Why is "collectathon" a bad thing?

its not like you had to get 100% to beat the game

It was a good game, lots of fun levels. Not as good as BK or Conker but still good, plus the amount of content was great for its time
>>
>>321944347
The levels didn't feel too empty to me, the overworld felt a bit much though. The moveset was also ok in my opinion in moderation. The levels where you had to constantly run Mumbo Jumbo to some stupid pad and the annoying minigames detracted from the enjoyment though.
>>
>>321944931

>Why is "collectathon" a bad thing?

Because they usually ditch real level design with real obstacles and hazards and platforming in favor of empty wastelands that just act as storage for collectables. Like they did with DK64 and Banjo Tooie.
>>
>>321944931
It's an excuse to break away from the things that make platformers great.

I mean, play an action-adventure if you want to get into that stuff.
>>
You have to collect shit 5 times in a row. The worst part is that it dangles them in front of you.
>>
>>321942046
It was my favorite collectathon in the N64 era. So nothing in my book. Interestingly enough Banjo Kazooie was my least favorite out of the rare/mario collectathons.
>>
>>321946907
The character specific bananas are all in different spots and there's character switch barrels easily accessed.

And they are in places where you use your character abilities to get a golden banana
>>
>>321942046
Consecutive Labour governments.
>>
>>321942976
This is some Cyriak level shit.
>>
File: wonkey kong.webm (3 MB, 960x737) Image search: [Google]
wonkey kong.webm
3 MB, 960x737
>>
>>321945090
This is more or less how I feel. Too many minigames thrown in and Mumbo really added more tedium than bringing anything new to the table. Otherwise, I find Tooie to be fine (though it can be easy to get lost in the worlds your first time around, and sometimes your objectives aren't as clear as a result).
>>
>>321942046
It wasn't as good as its prototype game, Banjo-Kazooie.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.