[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
graphics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: unrealparis02.jpg (174 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
unrealparis02.jpg
174 KB, 960x540
What do you think about photorealism in games? Does it matter? When will we reach it?

Unreal 4 is pretty much there but I can't imagine games will actually look like this till next-gen.
>>
>>321941340
It falls apart when you start moving.

Everyones been saying next gen since forever, the problem is the massive amounts of work needed to create good looking assets.
>>
It's better that it gets delayed as long as possible, because low-budget games won't stand a chance in a market where consumers demand $$$-heavy graphics like the OP. Things are already pretty bad as it is, you only need to compare the PS2's library with the PS3's to see that. It's only gonna get worse.
>>
I think right now people don't really give a shit because displays have gotten to their effective limit.
I think 2-3 years after VR gains popularity we will see a lot of games focused on graphics.
>>
i don't think we'd need photorealistic graphics
obviously rendering and detail would increase but imagine seeing like an alien in a photorealistic world, it'd look so uncanny and throw everything off, which is why I think some games should still stick to having art styles
>>
>>321941340
>What do you think about photorealism in games?

I don't like it, it pushes hardware and the game aspect of a video game gets the short end of the stick because of it.
>>
>>321941560

>amounts of work needed to create good looking assets

That's not important. Level of detail is already there, lighting is the issue. Throw ray tracing on top of Uncharted 4 and it's photorealistic.

In terms of animations/physics you're right though. That will take a bit longer.

>>321941652

I disagree. I think low-budget games will latch even further onto retro/unusual art styles which will ultimately please the "photorealism is boring!" crowd. Personally I think both ends of the spectrum should be catered to, I want weird painterly games as well as ultra-real GTAs and Battlefields.
>>
>>321942025
>I disagree. I think low-budget games will latch even further onto retro/unusual art styles which will ultimately please the "photorealism is boring!" crowd. Personally I think both ends of the spectrum should be catered to, I want weird painterly games as well as ultra-real GTAs and Battlefields.
That sounds even worse. If this did end up being the case, you'd still see no more games like Deadly Premonition, for example.
>>
>>321942025

>That's not important

Yes it is. You have hundred man teams cranking out rocks and other fluff all day that no one will even pay attention to, that shit is expensive
>>
>>321941712
Given enough stimulation your brain will learn to accept the alien as a digital organism.
>>
>>321942025
>>321942116

Actually, when path tracing is achieved photorealism will be easier than ever to achieve and almost all budgets will have the capability. It will be the golden age of gaming 2bh.
>>
>>321942194

My point is, Uncharted 4's level of detail + realistic lighting will be enough to fool the human eye. Textures are already detailed enough. If we can already manage high levels of detail why couldn't we do it with ray tracing or UE4's lighting capabilities?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.