[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tired Gamer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14
File: 1402954334058.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1402954334058.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
Does anyone else feel like they're getting bored of modern games? I've been reading all these GOTY lists but have barely played anything that came out this year.
I was thinking about it, and I'm pretty sure my favorite game from the last few years is Shovel Knight.
It certainly says something about my taste that my favorite game from the 2010s is intended to emulate games from the 80's.
>>
Do you think I could beat that girl at smash
>>
>>321927931
Are we getting old Anon bro? I feel the same way.
>>
>>321927931
nah, modern day games just lack substance and atmosphere.
>>
File: happy batman.jpg (27 KB, 576x432) Image search: [Google]
happy batman.jpg
27 KB, 576x432
Yep. Got that feeling right now.
>tfw recieved a lot of big games from christmas but only have the motivation to play sm4sh
Not even a tourneyfag or anything, there's just so much content and multiplayer never gets old in it. Well, that and EDF 4.1.
>>
File: 47.jpg (52 KB, 310x453) Image search: [Google]
47.jpg
52 KB, 310x453
I lost interest in a lot of games I bought lately.
I keep thinking I should go outside and do something to take a break from videogames, but I don't have anything to do outside other than go to work.
>>
>>321927931
You're just getting old.
Compete in something, improving on a daily basis and being able to show it off is the only reason worth living. Otherwise it just feels pointless and a waste.
Also, you just got older, your tastes have changed, just find new hobbies to interest you
>>
I'm not tired I just don't have the time anymore. My only hope is earning and saving enough to retire early.

>o-only $2.1M more to save up!
>>
>>321928692
Well you don't have to be a tourneyfag to enjoy fighting games. Me personally I spend 90% of my time playing fighting games because they're just fun. So I never feel like I have something to not play.
>>
>>321927931
>gamer
Fuck off
>>
I'm 32 and still enjoy many kinds of new games. Stop sucking on the dick of nostalgia for your childhood now you have bills to pay and shit.
>>
>>321927931
Big modern games are pretty much all the same, they're either a scripted cinematic experience or a big open world where the player can do whatever they want. The problem with the former is that the end product is barely a game (and most games are written by awful writers who couldn't make it in the film industry). And the problem with the latter is that open worlds remove the developer's ability to create tight level design and the majority of the play-time is spent traveling from one area to the other.

Developers always strive to use the new power of the current generation of consoles to pass boundaries that restricted them in previous generations. In the 5th gen, they were able to utilise another dimension. In the 6th gen, they were able to have models that weren't blocky and have much smoother controls. In the 7th gen, they had even better graphics (so they made more cinematic games). This gen, they can work with an increased draw distance and they can render the whole map at once rather than segmenting it. So that's what everyone is doing. The only exception is Nintendo since they do everything their own way, although they're only just discovering that you can play with other people online.
>>
>>321929094
your IQ is probably lower than an ape
>>
I got a PS4 for christmas and I didnt hook it up until 2 days later even though I was at the house the whole time.

That should tell you how I feel about games right now.
>>
>>321929812
play the FF15 demo
>>
>>321930049

Was never into Final Fantasy so eh..

I'm playing through the Uncharted collection now since I never got the chance to play them during the PS3 era. I'm still on Drake's Fortune and I'm definitely having fun.

Still, it took me 2 days to even hook it up.. I miss those times when I would play things as soon as I got them since I would be overjoyed. Getting older sucks.
>>
I just can't enjoy immersing myself or spending a lot of time on games anymore because I have that looming feeling hanging over me that I don't have the time to finish it or enjoy it so why bother, I got a shit ton of schoolwork to do too.

All I wanted was to game all day, but now it feels more like a chore when I finally get time to play.

I don't even bother keeping up with new releases because my newest gaming platform is my ps3, so all I play is games I grew up with.
>>
>>321930404
>Was never into Final Fantasy so eh..
Every Final Fantasy is too different. You can't say that about the entire series.
>>
>>321927931
Is shovel Knight that good. I want to give it a go but 15 bucks is too much
>>
>>321930468
is this what final fantasy fanbois beleive
>>
File: Yesterday.jpg (138 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
Yesterday.jpg
138 KB, 1600x960
>>321930404
I bought Bloodborbe the day it was released, I still haven't played it.

>mfw
>>
>>321927931
You're becoming an Adult.
Find a hobby you enjoy and play video games on and off.
When you own a home that you have to keep tidy, a yard to keep clean, and a mortgage to pay, you'll enjoy video games 200% more.
>>
>>321930746
*Bloodborne
>>
File: 1451371125296.jpg (17 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451371125296.jpg
17 KB, 400x400
The only game I even bought this year was super mystery dungeon. I wasn't even excited for it but bought it because it was said to be the like the first two games. I can't even think of any game coming out I'm excited for. At least I have emulators.
>>
>>321930602
Just stating facts.
>>
>>321928692
You should try Xenoblade and Xenoblade X. Whichever you want to try first.
I wasn't able to tear myself from them. A feeling that has become increasingly rare in recent years.
>>
Yes.

I spend way to much money looking for a fun game and can't find one.

Maybe that's the problem though? When I was young I got a new game only a few times a year. I treasured them all and played them to death.

Now before I even finish a game I see another game that I would "rather play"
>>
All I've played is Wwe 2k16, some Halo 5, and a little bit of neverwinter. That and Dbz Dokkan Battle on my phone. Idk, it's hard to want to sit and play for hours, even when I have time.
>>
File: 1375811358630.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1375811358630.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
I feel you OP. I used to buy and try out like every possible game out there. Now I'm lucky if I buy a new game every 3 or 4 months. it ether is "game number 20 of series" or "indie 2D game" "something hyped as fuck" or "pay us tons of money to see half a game and the release date for everyone who didn't give us money is like two years from now. thanks for beta testing".

it feels like I'm sticking to the same game series I know I liked as trying new shit just seems to be tedious and more often than not a waste of money.
>>
>>321927931
Yeah. Got a PS4 this year to play some "AAA" games my friends wouldn't shut up about. Kind of disenchanted with modern games. It sparked me to get back to the roots, so I'm just playing old games that I never played or beat when I was younger. Currently playing zelda 2 and ff7. Shit is awesome.
>>
>>321927931
>bought mgsV, never finished it
>gifted fo4, never made it past the glowing sea
>got tw3 with my graphics card, took two months to motivate myself to finish it.
>>
I have the same problem sort of, I just got MCC and beat halo 1, which brought back memories. But mostly I just go on slick deals and try to find shit video game related to flip on ebay. I like buying game stuff, but when I get it I'm just bored so I always sell it anyway. I just started making a game out of that.
>>
>>321929109
This is very true. So true, it's the kind of statement I always hoped was just sort of universally understood without needing to be said.
>>
>>321927931

Dont chew on the wires youll fucking break it
>>
>>321931591
I feel the same way, except that I have this feeling that im looking for a permanent game to get better at and play but whenever i find flaws i lose interest and sell it. I cant just enjoy games anymore
>>
>>321930751

Yup

Don't make your life about video games or you'll get burned out, stare blankly at your Steam library, then come onto /v/ and complain about it.
>>
I'm feeling the opposite really. I'm at my 3rd year in uni and I've went from literally posting on /v/ every single day, refreshing constantly, discussing video games and video game culture/news more than actually playing video games in my final few years at school to actually enjoying and playing more new and old stuff now. Maybe it's the disposable income or the fact I actually have less time to play video games, which weirdly enough has left me playing them more than when I spent most of my time shit posting on /v/. This is probably the first post I've done in months.
>>
File: 1450959935176.png (283 KB, 714x574) Image search: [Google]
1450959935176.png
283 KB, 714x574
>>321931518
Got me few months ago mgs5 and i never get past 1st chapter. Month ago i get mi fallout 4 but got bored after finding nick. What the fuck.

And im still going back to play kf2,payday2 very often.
>>
>>321930746
I can't bear to play anything but Bloodbourne right now 2bh, give it a try, you may get hooked.
>>
I still buy a lot of games, but only play a few. I've fallen into the routine of just choosing one main game and playing it for a month+, dumping 100 or so hours into it until I get bored, then moving onto the next time sink.

I actually prefer it. Trying to "keep up" with the meme game of the moment is tiring as fuck, and it's smarter to just wait a few months and see how public opinion on the game shakes out after all the circle jerking is done. Plus, good games are still good years later. I played through Arkham City over the summer and actually enjoyed it quite a bit, after always thinking the series looked like shit.
>>
>>321928027
Almost certainly. She can't even hold the controller properly. Plus, she's probably really cold in that outfit, so her shivering would fuck up her inputs.
>>
I'm old and I still love vidja, suck to be you

currently looking forward to xcom2 the most
>>
File: 2015-12-10 18.16.08.jpg (109 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-10 18.16.08.jpg
109 KB, 1600x1200
>tfw wizard
>>
>>321927931
If you're tired of modern games it's probably because you're playing the same kinds of games over and over again. Try something new. I just bought a cheap Thrustmaster HOTAS from Amazon and started playing TIE Fighter and Elite Dangerous. Never played any flight games with a stick before. Hell, the only flight games I EVER played were Star Fox 64 and Rogue Squadron on N64. TIE Fighter is fucking boss, but it took some work to get the stick to work with it, and Elite Dangerous is way better than I ever anticipated. I'm going to be sinking some serious hours into these games, and it feels incredibly refreshing to be playing something different for a change.
>>
>>321931475

I'm on the same boat. There's something about modern games that just don't do it for me anymore. I started feeling this way since last gen.

I then softmodded mi Wii and put old NES/SNES/N64 games on it and I'm having a blast playing through the old Mario games.

I'm probably gonna get shit for this because "muh nostalgia goggles" and all that, but I do think old games were better.
There's just something about them that is just 100% fun.. maybe it's the fact that they were so primitive that devs focused on actual fun gameplay rather than a cinematic experience and all the theatrical shit we get today with games.
>>
>>321927931
can't tell if sauce or mods.
>>
File: 1449952933967.jpg (14 KB, 424x318) Image search: [Google]
1449952933967.jpg
14 KB, 424x318
>recently got a phone
>my first fucking phone in years
>decide to install retroarch
>excited im going to enjoy games everywhere again
>cant get myself into any of my once favorite games
>i rather play some flappy bird clone i found because is literally press the screen to win

im 24, maybe is time to just accept it, im done with the media.
>>
File: 1444767178574.gif (58 KB, 896x640) Image search: [Google]
1444767178574.gif
58 KB, 896x640
>>321927931
my new year's resolution is not to buy any more games in 2016 until i finish the ones i have. so of course i come out of christmas with witcher 3, both MGSV games, Mad Max, and Skyrim. And then on my backlog is Sleeping Dogs, Infamous 1/2, and Lightning Returns

and i have under night in borth + XRD coming in the mail for fucks sake i need to finish all these fun games FUCK

but no of course the game i end up spending the most time playing is goddamn wild arms 1 on my little psp after doing everything there is to do in FO4 and getting bored around lv75
>>
>>321928810
>I don't have anything to do outside other than go to work.
Jesus, I know this feel so hard. How does one find new hobbies?
>>
>>321930482
Yes, if you like old school platformers. It's $10 on steam atm.
>>
File: 1414950862885.jpg (74 KB, 661x721) Image search: [Google]
1414950862885.jpg
74 KB, 661x721
>>321928027
>tfw my best childhood friend beat me at melee with his feet
>>
>>321934573

Same.

The only thing I do outside for fun is go to the movies. But obviously not everyday. Shit is too expensive.

I was thinking of maybe going to Barnes and Nobles and read a book or comic once a week or so, but eh.. they dont even have couches or anything to read. Just some shitty table seat near a Starbucks.
>>
>>321931168
I'd love to play Xenoblade Wii, too bad Nintendo hasn't reprinted it and online they're like 80-100 fucking dollars american
>>
>>321934754
Steam? Man I can't even log in because steam support is down
>>
>>321934971
Isn't it on the eshop for like, less than 20 bucks?
>>
>>321932830
>TIE Fighter
muh nigga. I played it earlier this year after getting it from GOG. I think your right, sometimes you just need some variety in the types of games you play.
>>
>>321932523
>scantily clad girl shivering in the cold
This is one of my fetishes
>>
>>321935216
EU only.
>>
File: 1416439978052.jpg (55 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
1416439978052.jpg
55 KB, 225x225
>>321934825
how could you possibly lose to someone using their feet? Unless your best friendo is a monkey you have no excuse
>>
>>321932480
>>321932149
I still follow the industry, go on /v/ and other forums. I still buy games but am rarely excited about them.
Mostly it's just sad because gaming is pretty much the only hobby/interest I have. I've sort of been getting more into movies lately but its just not the same.
>>
>>321934971
Get it on 3DS if you have one. Or softmod your Wii.
>>
>>321927931
I know I am. When I was younger I would play a game till I completed it. Read all the flavor text, do most of the extra shit.
Now usually I will get bored after a couple hours and not finish the game. I haven't finished Witcher 3, Alien:Iso, Fallout 3, Bioshock, Skyrim, Mirrors Edge. They just dont grip me anymore. Whereas Ori and the Blind forest, XCOM, MGSR:R are the sort of games I spent hours playing without realizing it. So maybe its just Triple A games.
>>
I miss when the gamecube was considered the new hotness
>>
>>321927931
i dont care if its AAA trash, Rainbow Six Siege is the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game this year

shooting people through walls is so satisfying
>>
>>321927931
I'm just playing old games I never played as a kid.

Like Final Fantasy. Started with IV, now I'm on VI.
>>
>>321927931
I'm not bored of vidya in the slightest. But I ended up building such a backlog that whenever I think about it, I end up feeling a little annoyed. Like I'm not forcing myself to play them but even then there's a feeling like it's somewhat of a chore.
>>
File: 1399942182284.png (342 KB, 394x394) Image search: [Google]
1399942182284.png
342 KB, 394x394
I'm getting bored of more than just games, anon.
>>
>>321927931
I just got a remake of an old game that I liked a whole lot.
>>
>>321933236
It's been mentioned on /v/ a few times in recent days, but the thing about modern games is that there are few, if any, games that are somewhere between AAA and indie. This started in the last generation, which might at least partly explain why that's when you started feeling this way - it was because the industry really is missing something that used to be a major part of it.
>>
>>321930746
I got four games with my PS4 and its the only I want to go back to playing, you might be surprised, coming form someone who is also bored with gaming a lot
>>
>>321942460
>AAA and indie
Yeah, there isn't a middle class in gaming anymore. Those really good "AA" to "B" tier games just don't exist. But the whole AAA game thing is pretty new now though since game development is on par with wide release movie production.
>>
>>321932523

You're setting him up to get waveshined.
>>
I feel the same even though I'm a neet.
>>
>>321927931
I know this pic is absolutely disgusting but I have a boner right now.
Must be the gamecube controller.
>>
>>321927931
I've played a few games this year.
>got through Ridley in Super Metroid, stopped because I felt bad for not getting everything
>same with Prime only I didn't get nearly as far
>beat FE7 and FE8
>"beat" Undertale and thoroughly enjoyed it
>>
>>321942805
And even that might not have been a problem if "indie" hadn't become a genre unto itself, rather than just being a term for a normal game made by a small team with a small budget and no publisher.
>>
23. Used to be a vidya enthusiast. Grew up with all the popular consoles. Gaming PC. Involved with modding scene. Bought an Oculus Rift. I can't do it anymore. Modern games are stale, rehashed, lacking in depth. I hate the whole dude bro Mt Dew neckbeard gamer thing that appeared. I don't understand why kids are obsessed with watching dweebs play Mine craft on YouTube. I dunno maybe I'm just bored of it all. I listen to music & watch movies instead now.
>>
I think the problem is that a number of people here have some form of depression
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.