[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck is this "tickrate" memeword I keep seeing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5
File: 1432763608322.jpg (45 KB, 345x378) Image search: [Google]
1432763608322.jpg
45 KB, 345x378
What the fuck is this "tickrate" memeword I keep seeing thrown around? Literally nobody mentioned it until CSGO was a fucking thing, I swear.
>>
That's because you haven't been around the FPS scene long enough, kiddo.
>>
>>321923692
been playing hardcore competitive fps since the early Halo CE days. Try again.
>>
The interval where the server calculates the input of the player clients.
why don't you just google shit if you don't understand it?
>>
>>321923842
>Halo

Stop posting.
>>
>>321924026
>halo wasn't the pinnacle of online FPS
>halo didn't revolutionize the online FPS scene

same to you kiddo.
>>
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tickrate

How hard was that you fucking retard
>>
File: 1321897676370.jpg (29 KB, 299x265) Image search: [Google]
1321897676370.jpg
29 KB, 299x265
>>321923842

>hardcore competitive fps
>doesn't bother learning how the respective engine works

Yeah, whatever you say dudebro.
>>
>>321923380
>A single update of a game simulation is known as a tick. The rate at which the simulation is run on a server is referred often to as the server's tickrate; this is essentially the server equivalent of a client's frame rate, absent any rendering system.[4] Tickrate is limited by the length of time it takes to run the simulation, and is often intentionally limited further to reduce instability introduced by a fluctuating tickrate, and to reduce CPU and data transmission costs. A lower tickrate increases latency in the synchronization of the game simulation between the server and clients.[5] Tickrate for games like first-person shooters can vary from 60 ticks per seconds for games like Quake or Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in competitive mode to 30 ticks per seconds for games like Battlefield 4 and Titanfall.[citation needed] A lower tickrate also naturally reduces the precision of the simulation,[4] which itself might cause problems if taken too far, or if the client and server simulations are running at significantly different rates.

All it took was a Google search.
>>
>>321924131
This is some poor quality b8.
>>
Look at pic related. Now, imagine that no matter how high your client-side FPS was, this is what determined hit detection. Awful, right? Not only that, you can shoot someone a fraction of a second before they shot you and it'll just get rolled over to the next tick as you killing each other at the same exact time. Low tick rate is awful for a competitive FPS and there's no reason for it other than it being less taxing on servers, or protecting casuals' feelings by dumbing everything down.
>>
>>321924553
So does CSGO run at that awful tickrate?
>>
>>321924403
>implying anything I said was false

the success and current state of online MP fps on console is solely thanks to Halo CE
>>
>>321924675
depends on the server, the offical ones run at 66 iirc
>>
>>321924675
I'm pretty CS:GO's standard is 60 or something, mention of tickrate flared up because Overwatch uses 20.
>>
>>321924675
Casual Servers run 64
Comp Servers run 128

BF4 runs 60

Halo runs 32 or some shit, it's awful
>>
>>321924553
too bad this game still sucks and is literally based entirely on RNG

>memorizing spray patterns and going full auto at the enemies feet is a legitimate working strategy in CSGO
Lol.
>>
>Literally nobody mentioned it until CSGO was a fucking thing
yes it fucking has
csgo isn't even the most popular thing lately that's been talking about it
>>
File: dr kekyl and my sides.jpg (56 KB, 346x427) Image search: [Google]
dr kekyl and my sides.jpg
56 KB, 346x427
>mfw people actually asking about the legitimacy of a competitive scene for overwatch
>>
>>321925089
objective proof high tick rate is REQUIRED for a competitive shooter please
>>
>>321924752
>console
>hardcore fps
Kek
>>
>>321925185

Oh it will exist.

It will just be a joke to anyone that matters.
>>
>he thinks overwatch won't succeed as an E-sport when its got actiblizz money backing it

lol. this is just like /tv/ gloating about how star wars would bomb because they're gonna boycott it. deluded fucking nerds.
>>
>>321925945
>implying starwars didn't bomb
oy very...
>>
>>321926007
>1.16 billion dollars so far
>"i-i-it bombed because I said so! lalalalala i live in a fantasy land lalalalalala"
>>
>>321925185
It's not. It's just stupid to not have it. Kinda like rebinding keys. Don't need it.
>>
>>321925945
Yeah, just like starcraft 2 succeeded, or heroes of the storm?

Rofl, blizzdrones
>>
>>321924553
>implying Cunt Stroke GO isnt a slow paced casual shit game itself
>>
literally all anyone went on about with cs:s was muh tickrate
>>
File: HaloReach.jpg (206 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
HaloReach.jpg
206 KB, 1280x720
>>321923380
Ticks are existent in all 3D games. In fact they are existant in most 2D games. If your game uses textures, chances are it has some sort of tick.

A tick is basically the rate the engine can update itself. If a game has 20 ticks, that means that data between AI, players and other players is transferred between each other 20 times a second. Where they're going, what they're aiming at, how fast and how much momentum they have, the list goes on. Early FPS had their frames per second tied to their ticks per second, meaning that, in order to play the original Starfox or Marathon in 60fps, you have to physically speed up the game.
>>
>>321924905
>Overwatch uses 20.
[citation needed]
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.