[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Get a second combat drone and a Mk 2 Hull Laser >Run out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4
File: Average day on the GFS Kestral.jpg (227 KB, 1600x1071) Image search: [Google]
Average day on the GFS Kestral.jpg
227 KB, 1600x1071
>Get a second combat drone and a Mk 2 Hull Laser
>Run out of fuel on top of a supergiant with the rebels almost two turns away

I forgot how much I hate FTL.
>>
>>321922538
>Get additional weapons.
>Enemy gains additional shield layers.

Can't tell if that's real or intentional or just the advancement of sectors.
>>
>>321922538
>running out of fuel

git gud man
>>
>>321922538
how the fuck do you manage to run out of fuel?
>>
>>321922538
>I forgot how much I hate FTL.
game is stupidly easy

>start with first or third ship to get a Burst Laser Mk2 from the get go

>buy 2 more Burst Lasers Mk2 during the navigation to sector 8

proceed to rape the boss firing 9 shots every 10 seconds
>>
>>321923836
>I always destroy the fuck out of every single enemy in the game

>Except some random ass unmanned ship out of nowhere that for some reason has 4 shields

I don't get it, not even the boss does it...
>>
>>321925227
Are you telling me to gitgud in an RNG game?
>>
>>321926069
>Are you telling me to gitgud in an RNG game?
Yes.

Even if its RNG there are certain actions that would make you go the long way like;

-upgrading the shield once in the first sector and another upgrade on the fourth sector
-upgrading the pilot once on the second sector
-upgrading your engine to level 5 to get good dodge %
-upgrading your door once in the second sector and another upgrade if you go through a mantis sector
-buying drone system that comes with a def drone mk1
-buying every single burst laser mk2 you see
As well as there are factors that would fuck your run pretty hard like;

-investing in your engine after level 5
-investing in drones other than a single defense mk1 drone
-using weapons other than burst lasers and missile weapons
-not accepting surrenders if they offer 4-6 fuel
-not going to every pirate sector you are offered to get easy crew
-not having your ship open without oxinen except for the manned rooms so you can dispose of fires and boarders faster
That said, there are only two viable strategies to follow, full weapons or boarding crew.
With boarding crew you require a very specific setup that includes clone bay, teleporters and the zoltan shield bypass augment, otherwise you are easily fucked.

With the full weapons you need at least 2 Burst Lasers Mk2 and a missile weapon.
>>
File: kenshiro egg.gif (988 KB, 250x169) Image search: [Google]
kenshiro egg.gif
988 KB, 250x169
>mfw i have 127 hours on record and i haven't gotten past the 5th sector on easy

how do i win
>>
>>321927369
literally git gud RNGalso git gud scrub
>>
running out of fuel is just another way of saying "i'm really bad at the game"

fuel is the only problem you should never have
>>
>>321927581
not necessarily, I got lucksacked before running out of fuel despite buying all the fuel scrap allowed at every store
and I've beaten the game on hard mode so its not a matter of git gud

sure it happens seldomly but it can happen
>>
>>321927369

use engi ship, 3 ions, 3 shooty drones
>>
>>321926069
>RNG means I have absolutely no control over anything and it's not my fault that I lose every time
It's like you never even developed any basic video game skills.
>>
>>321928374
>Made it to sector 8 in Engi ship with Ion, Hull Laser and Boarding Drone
>Max shields, max reactor
>Gets btfo by Flagship

I try to get a good loadout, but I simply can't get enough scrap.
>>
>>321928973
You need a Scrap Recovery Arm and you need to push for as many encounters as possible per Sector, even if it means risking 1-2 tough encounters with the opposition.
>>
>>321928973
first off max shields is NOT necessary, lv 3 shields is more than sufficient
what IS important is not getting hit
a good number of evasion (40%+) is required, then you need a way to avoid massive damage volleys
easiest way is through stealth and defense drones
a harder way is through weapon denial which can be achieved by boarding, hacking and just having powerful alpha strike capability

Ion weapons tend to suck, the only ones that are worth your time is the ion burst II and the ion bomb, hull lasers are bad, only use them if you can't do anything else, boarding drones need to be supported by other boarders else you are better off using other drones
>>
>>321929723
Hulls are deceptively useful. They have a decent breech chance, making them slow repair speeds, and they always have the utility of quickly finishing off ships after the shields have been disabled.

I'd still rather other weapons, but don't count out hull lasers just because they take a lot of power to run.
>>
>>321922538
what happened to this game?
>>
>>321930358
What do you mean?
>>
>>321930348
true enough but if you are going for dedicated breach damage your best bet is going for breach bomb mk II
its relatively power friendly, has high system damage and 100% chance of a breach

and I was mostly talking about how people see the "double damage" part of hull lasers and assume they're worth it for that reason, when your main priority should be to take out enemy systems, then kill its health once its no longer a threat
>>
>>321930358
It came out and it was enjoyable. After a while, the devs added an expansion to it full of free content, and it was even more enjoyable.
>>
>>321930348
If you got 4 weapon slots and the energy to power them, any hull laser is a great choice versus most ships, especially the Flagship. It can save you several waves of bullshit by simply carving a bloody death path through 3/4 of the ship, so you don't have to deal with three more waves of fucking drones.

Ideally, you want 1 bomb, 1 hull beam/equivalent, and 1-2 rapid fire weapons to cut up the shields. Bomb 3 of the shitty side rooms and deal with the center however you please. Then do it again.
And again.
>>
>>321930821
generally speaking a halberd beam or higher is more than sufficient in damage potential, you don't really need the hull laser
>>
>>321931165
That's why I say /equivalent, cause RNG.
>>
Killing the crew of the boss ship is fucking bull shit. Once everyone is dead it just has an AI take over that's objectively better than one or two crew members. That missile gun that's been down almost the entire fight and can't be repaired due to no connecting doors? The automated system can get that just fine. Made me so fucking mad.
>>
>>321931471
The trick is: you leave 1 guy alive in a side room and never have to worry about the bullshit AI.

Also, how is that one fan update? I forgot the name of it, but it's pretty comprehensive.
>>
>>321931471
on hard mode killing all crew is actually worth it given there IS a connecting door to the missile room
>>
>>321922538
>Run out of fuel
Pleb
>>
>>321922538

>hull laser

terrible choice

and anything but defense drones is not worth using unless you have a drone recovery arm
>>
File: Final_boss1.jpg (179 KB, 774x891) Image search: [Google]
Final_boss1.jpg
179 KB, 774x891
>>321928973
Its not about getting much scrap. Its about investing it wisely.

Ion, Hull Laser, Boarding Drone all are worthless you should sell them as soon as you get a proper replacement.

Maxing shields is a waste unless you dont have a defense drone.

Maxing reactors is a waste, the last 3 levels only give you 3% dodge each. You are better investing that scrap and reactor power elsewhere.
Shield level 6 (3 shields), Engine level 5, Doors level 2 and Pilot level 2 are the things you should try to aim every run.

If you buy the Drone System buy the one that comes with a Defense Drone mk1. Dont buy any extra drones, not worth it.

ONLY buy the Stealth System if you manage to get Stealth Weapons beforehand, otherwise is a waste of 150 scrap.
That said, I found two surefire ways to beat the flagship.

Boarding Crew;

Requires Zoltan Shield Bypass augment, Teleporter, Clone Bay and Mantis x2.
Start by killing the people in the weapons and disabling them. DONT KILL the guy I circled in red, otherwise you will activate the AI and its automatic repairs.

After dealing with the 3 weapons proceed to kill the crew in the main part of the ship and destroying it.

On the second part of the fight start with the weapons and then the rest of the ship (again, leave that dude alone).

On the third part of the fight start with the weapons and then the rest of the ship (again, leave that dude alone).

Have at least a single beam weapon to help you destroy the ship after dealing with shields.
Full power weapons..

Requires 2 Burst Lasers Mk2 (3 would be the best, 4 would let you cheese through the game), Missile weapon (if you only have 2 lasers), Hacking System is reccomended.

If you managed to get these weapons you can easily kill the ship within seconds. If you managed to get Hacking Systems use it on the shield room AFTER you destroy the shields. That way you trap the ones repairing it and kill them.
>>
>>321931829
having a system repair drone is HIGHLY useful just in case
same with an anti-personel drone
>>
>>321932158

Upgrading doors once is usually a better investment

suffocating attackers isn't hard 90% of the time if you do it right
>>
>>321931829
I used to think like that too, but really picking up a combat drone late and using it sparingly does fine. You can't deploy a drone every fight, but when you need it, it's there to help you through.
>>
>>321932017
>ONLY buy the Stealth System if you manage to get Stealth Weapons beforehand, otherwise is a waste of 150 scrap.
do NOT listen to this anon
stealth is absolutely fantastic for the final boss. If you leave it at 1 power its cooldown is almost identical do stage 2 and stage 3 special abilities allowing you to practically ignore them, and even during phase one it can dodge the missile volley

also consider upgrading your oxygen systems to at least lv 2, even if you only power it with 1 power it'll give it an extra hitpoint, this is also the only reason to upgrade the cockpit to lv 2

hacking shields is not necessarily the most beneficial use of a hacking drone: hacking the enemy cockpit gives the ship 0% dodge chance for the duration of the hack which will allow you to deal guaranteed damage
>>
>>321932158
System Repair is good for the price, but the problem is that it takes up limited drone slots and you'll usually have more than enough crew to do their job anyway. I wish there was a System Repair Drone II that literally dispatched two drones for a single slot, I would probably use it more often for damage control.
>>
>>321932495
I'm disappointed with the cockpit upgrades. There's no reason it shouldn't give you 50/100% evasion since you already lose 10% by not having a pilot. On top of that, at level 3, you should be able to do jumps without having someone in the cockpit, would really help with running a skeleton crew that spends the majority of their time fighting and repairing.
>>
>>321925672

The boss has 4 shields.

You're thinking of the ship with 5 shields, which is not even possible for the player to get.
>>
>>321932594
true enough but if you take the drone system primarily for the defense drone you might as well use the spare slot on a system repair one to help quickly fix hull breaches

also if you have the drone recovery arm seriously consider taking a hull repair drone
it fixes 3 to 5 points of hull armor and then vanishes BUT if you jump when it has only fixed 2 points of hull armor it will be recovered by the arm and doesn't cost you a drone part
do this after every fight and you'll save a shitload on repairs
>>
>>321927369

>Buy FTL
>Play on Normal(Hard wasn't out yet)
>Beat the game on the first day after just a couple of hours of trying
>"I heard this game was supposed to be so hard, did I just luck out?"
>Restart
>Beat the game again immediately
>Drop it until Advanced Edition came out because it was stupidly easy

And then there's you.
>>
>>321932495
The enemy missile volley charges faster than your stealth.

You are better off investing those 150 scrap in weapons to BTFO the flaghship rather than using it to avoid one missile volley.

History would be different with Stealth Weapons augments where you can have the cloak con level 3 and shoot your weapons two times while stealthed for 15 seconds.
>>
>>321926069
>RNG game

You're fucking retarded. There is a guy who has a 39 win spree on hard mode
>>
>>321932896
That's a pretty good use of it, I'll have to try it next time. I usually get a few uses out of the system repair drone and sell it since it sells for like 50 scrap.
>>
>>321932780
cockpit 2 ensures the cockpit has 2 hitpoints, which imho is worth it
especially given it also prevents one unit of ion damage from fucking you over
>>
>>321922538
Sometimes I wish there was a 3d FTL that had ships with mutliple decks and all that. Or just one that isn't 2d. Still a really damn fun game.
>>
>>321933075
You dodge a missile volley every other shot. I don't think it's worth dodging an extra missile or two every other time for that price alone, but you can't always find the weapons you need to preform a proper alpha strike, while a cloak almost always shows up at least once.
>>
>>321933075
for stage one if you managed to get that far keep it at lv 3
but avoiding all damage from the drone storm or the mass laser blast on stage 2 and 3 is worth it
>>
File: Ship Image77.jpg (334 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
Ship Image77.jpg
334 KB, 1366x768
ftl is my modding jam.
>>
>>321934378
Your room layout is shit, but your ship graphic is the first mod ship I've seen that doesn't look like shit.
Regardless, why would a space ship look like a giant fighter jet?
>>
>>321935340
Nigga you ask the wrong kinds of questions. Why WOULDN'T a space ship look like a giant fighter jet?
>>
>>321935340

Why would a spaceship from the far future NOT be built to function in an atmosphere as well as in space?

NASA figured this out before you were born. And while it turned out our science isn't really there yet to make it safe and economical, it's obviously going to return if space warfare ever becomes a thing.
>>
>>321936086
Because we already discovered that the best weapon system in the universe is a box with guns on it. The future of space warfare will be borg cubes that will probably be drones.
>>
>>321936251

because there is tons of space docks you can dock in and don't need to make your ship fly into an atmosphere?
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.