[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some games where I can use a scythe as a weapon? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12
File: scythe.png (136 KB, 1024x1390) Image search: [Google]
scythe.png
136 KB, 1024x1390
What are some games where I can use a scythe as a weapon?

I want to be a super fucking edgy faggot who cuts things up in flashy ways. Edgier/flashier, the better.

Off the top of my head for scythe games, I've already played Darksiders 1/2, Dark Souls/Bloodborne, Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, TERA.

Any other edgy gems I need to play? Also edgy weapons thread I guess.
>>
I think you named all the good ones that still hold up today. I like scythes too and there's not that many.

You could always play Castlevania, but I'm pretty sure it's a late game weapon, the scythe being the scythe of Death. So, that's probably not what you're looking for either. Kinda sucks when I'm looking for a game with a certain weapon in it and I find one, but you can't get it very early in the game.
>>
Have you played Bayo 2? There's a scythe in that one too.
>>
darksiders
>>
>>321915053
dante's inferno if you can get past some of the crap platforming
>>
>>321915708
Yeah that's the Bayonetta that I meant. I don't think I remember there even being a scythe in the first game.

>>321915830
Already played both.
>>
Diablo 2, Soul Calibur series.
>>
Does Grim Fandango have a scythe?
>>
The scythe in Ninja gaiden 2 is one of the most satisfying scythes in vidya
>>
Final Fantasy Type-0 has a scythe character you can main in your party.
>>
Bloodborne
>>
Ninja Gaiden 2
>>
Dungeon Fighter Online has a class dedicated to scythes. You can also transform into a demon, open the gates of hell, roll like sonic and restore health by slashing enemies.
>>
>>321915053
Dark Knights in Final Fantasy XI (and FF: Explorers) use scythes. They're pretty common in games like Dynasty Warriors, too.

Zasalamel in Soul Calibur is probably the best scythe-fighter in vidya.
>>
ninja gaiden 2
bloodborne
darksiders 2
>>
>>321915053
Median XL, melee necro
>>
File: tumblr_nosa0npxh91smeubeo1_540.png (157 KB, 510x346) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nosa0npxh91smeubeo1_540.png
157 KB, 510x346
>>321916263
Didn't DFO get shutdown in NA or something? I don't actually know for sure, just asking because that's what it looks like after a quick glance at wikipedia.
>>
>>321916793
It's back since April.
This Jan 5th we'll get a patch that will let us (almost) catch up with the Chinese and Japanese versions.
>>
>>321916032
Seconding this. Its the most powerful weapon in the game, the most brutal as well. Ninjas with scythes are goat
>>
planetside 2
>>
>>321917783
Which version should I play? Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 for PS3?
>>
>>321915053
You can play Pandora's Tower for the wii

you can use a scythe as an edgy guy looking for moster flesh

it also comes with a pretty entertaning waifu sim, if you give her the flesh she will love you more and more
>>
>>321917783
>>321918143
Followup, should I play the other ones for story purposes or not really?
>>
>>321915053
DMC3
>>
>>321918143
If you can, play the original on 360. Only play Sigma if that's the only way you can experience the game.

>>321918406
You should play 1 (either Black or Sigma) because it's a great game in its own right. Only play 3 (and only Razor's Edge) if you've totally cleared out 1 and 2 and still want more.
>>
>>321918406
Ninja Gaiden Black > Ninja Gaiden 2
The rest don't even matter. Also don't play the PS3 version of either game.
>>
>>321918143
The best version is the Xbox 360 one, because it has more enemies on screen, which means more frenetic action and lots of gore. The PS3 version has fewer enemies which become damage sponges and no gore.

>>321918406
Only Black/Sigma if you want, not really that important. NG3 RE is only if you really love the others. And honestly, the best thing about that game isn't even Ryu, but the ninja girls.
>>
File: tmp_2332-Haseo3rdForm0150664698.jpg (119 KB, 940x1024) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2332-Haseo3rdForm0150664698.jpg
119 KB, 940x1024
>>321915053
You should play the .hack G.U series. It takes a while but you eventually get to wield quite a few badass scythes.
>>
File: tmp_2332-Syth-161497859.jpg (10 KB, 398x400) Image search: [Google]
tmp_2332-Syth-161497859.jpg
10 KB, 398x400
>>
>>321915053
ninja gaiden 2 or sigma 2. Get one and fucking own everything.
>>
>>321915053
>>321915540
Dark Souls lets you get almost any weapon early once you learn the map.
>>
>>321919719
Yeah, it was pretty cool grabbing the Gravelord Sword and the Great Scythe in the first 20 minutes of the game.
>>
Nina Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge has a better scythe than 2 simply because of the steel on bone mechanic
Arumat in Star Ocean 4 uses a scythe
Scythes in Dark Souls suck
>>
>>321915053
you should watch RWBY, i think you would like the battles. it's super cringy though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs
>>
File: 1450250193543.jpg (23 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1450250193543.jpg
23 KB, 250x250
>>321919562
>>321918797
>>321918625
I've actually got a physical copy of Ninja Gaiden 2 for the 360 that I've slept on playing because I always though the general consensus was that it was a mediocre game. Clearly I was wrong.

Bottom line, should I start playing it right now, or play Ninja Gaiden 1 first? I kinda care about stories, even if they're shitty, but if the two aren't really that related, I can start on NG2 right now.

>>321919370
Which one do I play? I'm not really familiar with the series. It looks like .hack is a series itself and G.U. is a series within it or?

>>321919719
Already played both Dark Souls and Bloodborne

>>321920036
Is Star Ocean any good? I heard Till the End of Time is the best one but the others are forgettable.

>>321920270
Not really crazy about RWBY. Like you said, it's super cringy. The character designs are top fucking tier though.

Thanks for all the responses.
>>
File: nightfall-dervish.jpg (62 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
nightfall-dervish.jpg
62 KB, 700x525
The Dervish class in Guild Wars exclusively uses scythes and they can transform into the different gods of the game.
>>
>>321920380
Play the 1 and 2 remakes on PSP, then drop the franchise.
>>
Any hack and slash game.
>>
>>321920380
Ninja Gaiden Black is a legit 10/10 game, you can get it on Xbox live for 10 bucks. But you don't need to play it to enjoy Ninja Giaden 2, the gameplay is also really different between the two but only in a way a veteran would notice.
>>
Doesn't Devil May Cry 3 have a guitar weapon that turns into a scythe?

Alternatively, Darksiders 2.
>>
>>321920380
The story is barely connected unless you also play the Nintendo DS one, which is in my opinion an awesome game.
You can get NG Black on xbox live, and it's totally worth it.
>>
File: lifehunt-scythe-onhand-large.jpg (76 KB, 600x477) Image search: [Google]
lifehunt-scythe-onhand-large.jpg
76 KB, 600x477
I wish more scythes had simpler designs. Nothing too elaborate. I really like the kind that look like similar to a farming scythe, or perhaps juts have an ancient, but powerful look.

Both fitting a character such as Death.
>>
>>321920812
and it's freaking radical. And made of bats iirc.
>>
>>321920380
There's a character in FF Type-0 that uses a Scythe.
>>
>>321915053
Scythes are garbage in Dark Souls 1 and 2. But how are they in Bloodborne?
>>
>>321916032
This game was crazy. I never finished it because there were a shitload of other games I was playing at that time, at least I can't remember finishing it, but it was incredibly fun for someone who likes games like this.
>>
>>321917976
>2015
>Not playing glorious TR
>>
>>321920603
>>321920765
>>321920825
So I'm assuming Black is the remake of 1? Is it better to just emulate it and 2 for the PSP? Or should I play both for the 360?

>>321921232
Yeah forgot to mention I already played Type 0

>>321921262
It's way better. The scythe isn't a glorified halberd that's swung up and down. It's got a very fleshed out and satisfying moveset. It's also the weapon the final boss uses, so that's pretty cool.
>>
>>321920380
The stories in the Ninja Gaiden games are terrible and unimportant. You play those games for the gameplay. Black is one of the best games ever made and NG2 is a solid 8/10.
>>
>>321921716
>The scythe isn't a glorified halberd that's swung up and down
Great, that's what I hated about DaS1/2
>>
>>321921716
NGB is a pseudo remake of NG1. It added more stuff and changed some things for the better. It made an already great game better. Play the Xbox versions.
>>
>>321920812
>>321921130
I honestly wasn't a big fan of the guitar scythe. It didn't have a killer moveset. I mostly stuck with Agni and Rudra.

>>321921813
Here's a video of the scythe in Bloodborne. It's a curved sword that can be attached to a stick to be a scythe. This video is spoilerless so no worries about that.

https://youtu.be/3J9z7YBMR5Q?t=70

>>321922124
Will do. Thanks.
>>
why are half the posts in this thread games OP mentioned he already played.
Like fuck are you all selectively illiterate.
>>
>>321917976

Why do you run so slow? please tell me, I want to play the game, I want to enjoy it... but its so slow.

Also that FOV is sickening.
>>
>>321922313
Looks nice but I don't like the standard, untransformed part.
>>
File: Dhuum's_Soul_Reaper.jpg (72 KB, 693x378) Image search: [Google]
Dhuum's_Soul_Reaper.jpg
72 KB, 693x378
>>321920439
This.

Also this sexy as fuck scythe. I went back on GW1 just to get this.
>>
>>321920380
.Hack primary entries come in two flavours:

IMOQ and GU.

IMOQ has four entries.
>Vol. 1: Infection
>Vol. 2: Mutation
>Vol. 3: Outbreak
>Vol. 4: Quarantine.
It takes place at the end of the .Hack//SIGN anime (which is TALKTALKTALK and slow as shit, but has great music. Also the setting as a whole makes very little sense if you really stop to think about it too much with our world's sensibilities, so don't do that. Some very specific events had to occur for the world's internet and gaming scene to be as backwards as it is. You're going to need a certain quality of patience and some peculiar tastes to properly enjoy and absorb it. The .Hack//Liminality OVAs happen concurrent with IMOQ's events, and the final episode of //SIGN happens after IMOQ's events.

GU has three entries.
>Vol. 1: Rebirth
>Vol. 2: Reminisce
>Vol. 3: Redemption.
It takes place after the events of the .Hack//ROOTS anime, which like SIGN is very much TALKTALKTALK and slow as shit, although the music has a very different quality and I don't remember its events or payoff as clearly as SIGN, so I think I remember walking away with a very different feeling and less satisfied, so be prepared for it to be, well, more not great than SIGN was. That said, you don't really NEED to watch it to understand G.U. too much as the important details are sort of glossed over in the games but it definitely sets the games up and you probably won't understand Haseo's obsessions as well unless you watch it.

The .Hack// series is kind of a big investment if you really want to get the most out of the setting and a... "proper" appreciation for the franchise as a whole. Furthermore you won't gain access to the scythe until the latter half of the second game.

The gameplay isn't all that great, either. Fairly repetitive, in both games so you kind of need to be engrossed in the story and setting to push your way through them.

If you want scythe gameplay alone, I strongly suggest you go with other suggestions.
>>
>>321920439
>>321922906
Do people still play GW1? I figured it was mostly dead and people moved onto GW2. Speaking of which, scythes are pretty cool in GW2. IIRC, your staff gets a distorted blade whenever you cast spells, and you can turn into a giant reaper and hack people away with diseases and spells. I think the expansion also let's you use a great sword as a scythe, but I haven't personally played the xpac so I can't really say too much about it.

>>321923306
If I wanted to get invested, I'd need to watch the previous animes then? Are SIGN and ROOTS related? Or would I just need to watch ROOTS to play the GU entries? And are the games emulatable?
>>
File: Skeith, the First.jpg (102 KB, 800x1024) Image search: [Google]
Skeith, the First.jpg
102 KB, 800x1024
>>321923306
I forgot for a moment, but I suppose you TECHNICALLY get a scythe during the avatar space battles of the first game... but those are few and far between.

>>321923874
The events of SIGN and IMOQ canonically take place prior to the events of ROOTS and GU, and certain details will have to be read up on in the wiki if you don't want to watch / play those, because certain characters hail from the original game that was mostly lost when CC Corp burnt down... some less directly than others, and those are going to be the ones where the impact of their presence will be lessened significantly if you're not familiar with their earlier incarnations.

Rather a lot of work just to get a scythe.
>>
Dante's Inferno has you take the Grim Reaper's scythe right at the start of the game and use it as your main weapon.
>>
>>321924431
I mean, if it's a decent game regardless of whether or not you get a scythe early on, I'll probably add it to my backlog.

>>321924686
I saw someone mention Dante's Inferno earlier in the thread. Was it actually a decent game? Or just a decent scythe game? Either is cool.
>>
>>321922510
just hop in a vehicle. flashes are cheap and can get you around the map pretty quickly. I never had a problem with the FOV desu
>>
File: tfw no gw.jpg (1 MB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
tfw no gw.jpg
1 MB, 1600x1200
>>321923874
/v/ did a lot of random GW1 threads this time last year and that was what got me playing again during that time.

You most certainly require a guild to join to enjoy even 20% of what it used to be.
>>
>>321925010

But the FOV is so small... so small......

Why can't infantry be fun?
>>
>>321924996
Its a flawed game that cant quite work out if it wants to be God of War of Devil May Cry.

Worth a play through. The Scythe is quite good fun. It is adaptable and can be extended and turned into a spear if needed.
>>
>>321915053
Vindictus, I believe. The mage character starts with a staff, I think, but can unlock the scythe fairly early.
>>
>>321924996
>I saw someone mention Dante's Inferno earlier in the thread. Was it actually a decent game?
The gameplay itself is meh but the visual design is fantastic
>>
>>321915053
>play Runescape
>grind 90 attack
>grind 150m+ gp
>wield scythe
>kill shit

OR

>build time machine
>go back to 2003
>play Runescape during Halloween
>>
>>321924431
>>321923874
>>321924996
Oh, and I should also mention, the main character of ROOTS and GU also happens to be a character who showed up sometimes in SIGN and from there went through some untold shit between the end of that and IMOQ, so there's that also.

>>321924996
Thing is though, like I implied earlier, none of the entries are really worth it ON THEIR OWN. SIGN had the benefit of being the first real "HOLY SHIT IT TAKES PLACE IN A VIDEO GAME???" anime and the IMOQ games of actually playing IN A GAME in the setting, with issues of the game affecting the real world. That was enough for a lot of us in our early years, and planted the seeds of adoration with the franchise. If you're older and more experienced, odds are that they're just going to seem exceedingly dull as gameplay isn't that varied and the story is very slow with really shitty pacing, and sometimes isn't as clear as it could have been. Specific details that you use to make links in order to properly understand the events within the setting in any given entry are frequently within supplementary materials, so you'll end up with a lot of unanswered questions or confusion unless you fucking DIVE right into the deep end.

I suppose you don't REALLY need any of them to understand the right now right here events of GU, but every entry in the series adds considerably to the enjoyment factor of every other entry. It's a huge synergistic effect and just playing the G.U. games on their own is gonna feel REAL fuckin' dull unless you go through the rest of the series. If you don't get hooked on the setting right away, you're gonna have to slog through it with the promise that the payoff is worth it and if your tastes just aren't eclectic enough to enjoy how the story is told, that payoff is going to be significantly less worth it.

The recommended entry requirements are real fuckin' steep.
>>
>>321925183
it is once you have a pump shotgun
>>
>>321926219
Ok, well, more likely than not, I won't be able to really dive into this right away because it certainly sounds like there's a lot to do just to get started. That being said, I'll certainly keep this listed on my backlog, if nothing else than to have some sort of appreciation for the history of "video games that take place in a video game", or rather, "animes that take place in a video game".

Thanks for the response.
>>
>>321915053
.hack G.U. your literally an edgelord
>>
>>321922124
>Play Ninja Gaiden before Hurricane Pack rebalanced every move
>beat entire game spamming Diving Cicada with dragon sword

only place I remember this not working is using scythe nunchuks on the ghost piranha
Wow, those things were annoying
Thanks for the nostalgia though
>>
>>321926842
Do you like chainsaws?
Chainsaw swords?
Chainsaw claymores as wide as your body?
Do you like your scythes... to also be chainsaws?

DO YOU LIKE EVERYTHING BEING A FUCKING CHAINSAW?

If so, you may enjoy the GU games more.

>>321926842
Haseo, and the character he was in SIGN, is/was a MASSIVE fucking edgelord. Like, the edgiest and the broodiest. He nearly fucking codifies the edgy, broody, angsty protagonist.

>>321926857
Was about to say.
>>
File: BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELTS.jpg (163 KB, 757x1362) Image search: [Google]
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELTS.jpg
163 KB, 757x1362
>>321927624
I mean for fuck's sake, his first outfit is LITERALLY BELTS.

JUST FUCKING BELTS.
NOTHING BUT BELTS.
>>
>>321928143
>That clusterfuck of red lines by his left arm

Holy shit
>>
>>321925521
The visual design is ok for the first few circles. Gets very repetitive till treachery, the last level, especially when the circle of fraudulence is just a series of time trials.

As a religion major myself with a focus on theology, especially from media content, I couldn't get past how cuhrazy they made it and severely contrasting it against the actual poem for the teenage action crowd. I played it, and while I appreciate it for what it is, i give it hardly any legitimacy for any theological standpoint.

Whew, excuse my college, anyway yeah it had probably the best scythe gameplay. Thats what drew me to the game mostly because at the time I was into the teenage cuhrazy action games.
>>
File: Haseo-3rd-Form.jpg (132 KB, 849x1200) Image search: [Google]
Haseo-3rd-Form.jpg
132 KB, 849x1200
>>321928340
His other more recognizable outfit drops most of the belts (or at least hides the buckles better) and just goes complete and total edge. Full stop. No corners left uncut.
>>
>>321928893
Yeah I remember reading that a lot of people said it had a very interesting aesthetic but it got both repetitive and wasn't very true to the original text. But then I remember that reviewers said it was relatively fair of the developers to take some liberties because otherwise the game would be difficult to translate over properly as a cuhrazy entry.

I remember in particular that some people criticized the presentation of Beatrice as damsel-in-distressy, but I don't know enough about the original text (or the game for that matter) to have any validated opinions on the matter.
>>
binding of isaac rebirth, death's touch

it's a pretty edgy game dawg
>>
>>321929394
Wait shit, I completely forgot that his third form swapped buckles for MOTHERFUCKING STAPLES.

HIS BELTS ARE STAPLED ON.

HAH.
>>
>>321929394
I think those are belts running up and down his arms and legs, right? Just without the buckles.

>>321929435
Couldn't get into Binding of Isaac. Not really crazy about rogue-likes or the aesthetics of the game in general, but that's just me.
>>
There was that one guy from Soul Calibur.
>>
>>321916032
>Eclipse Scythe
Patrician taste right there, mate. That thing was fucking brutal amidst an array of already brutal weapons.

>>321920380
> always though the general consensus was that it was a mediocre game.
The game was rushed, but it's far from mediocre. I can't compare Black and Sigma 1 since I never played the latter, but for NG2 definitely stick to the 360 version.
>>
There's a scythe in Blade: The Edge of Darkness. It's a bit of a shitty weapon, though
Also, Testamente in GGXX uses a scythe.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.