[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need a recommendation. Looking for a good space exploration
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9
I need a recommendation. Looking for a good space exploration game, with a focus on dog fights, that allows you to upgrade your ship via loot, scavenging, etc.
>>
Oldest to most recent:

Wing Commander: Privateer is probably like five bucks on GOG and is still pretty worth playing.

Independence War 2 is very good.

Evochron: Mercenary is a lot more recent, and really damn good for an indie pile made by one guy in his basement.

Elite: Dangerous is shit. If you're desperate, at least wait until you can get it for 5 bucks again.

If none of those work for you, hold out a year for Star Citizen or for that UE4 space game the name of which I can't remember at the moment.
>>
>>321912082
Holy fucking nostalgia OP what is the name of that?

I've been trying to remember the name of a game that looked like that for fucking years now.
>>
>>321913191
Zigfrak. desu i've never played it. have it on steam but never broke the seal on it. Is it any good?
>>
>>321912082
what do you expect to explore exactly? games are best scripted.
>>
>>321912887
I'm gonna go ahead and check these out. Thanks, anon!
>>
>>321915110
Honestly don't care. Was thinking more open ended, but would be okay with scripted games as well.
>>
check out Rebel Galaxy
>>
>>321915865
dunno, only play VNs, good luck on your search though OP
>>
>>321916352
Wasn't a fan of this at all, but worth checking out next time it's on sale, I guess. There are always Steam refunds, too.
>>
File: Starpoint-Gemini-2[1].jpg (212 KB, 577x331) Image search: [Google]
Starpoint-Gemini-2[1].jpg
212 KB, 577x331
>>321912082
check this OP
>>
File: freespace2.jpg (41 KB, 401x500) Image search: [Google]
freespace2.jpg
41 KB, 401x500
>>321915865
In that case, Freespace 2. Available on GOG. Also, be sure to get the upgrades from the Freespace Source Code Project and the Hard Light Productions forums.

Another open-ended space game is Freelancer, but it's a bit different since you fly with the mouse and combat is more simplified.
>>
>>321912082
I want to say Rogue galaxy but it doesn't have dogfighting and everything is on the same height, so it's like fighting on water instead of space.

If you can ignore that fact it's a pretty interesting game.
>>
What are some good space games where I can command and build a fleet? Preferably with lots of diversity in creation, I'd love to have a huge frigate ship that on contact deploys hundreds of unmanned drones.
>>
File: 1443595511404.jpg (393 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1443595511404.jpg
393 KB, 1920x1200
>>321916352
I really hate rebel galaxy.
Whilst at first i wasnt immediately put off by being locked on the horizontal plane, i quickly realised this fucks any depth in combat.

This is hampered by a tiny galaxy, and shallow quests
>>
A while back, I was interested in a game called Vega Strike, which was basically a freeware Privateer clone. It even had two mods that ported Privateer into its engine. I didn't play it much, though, so I don't remember if it was any good.
>>
>>321912082
Starpoint Gemini 2 is amazing
feels really weird too, like it should be an old 2005 game, but no, it came out in 2014(?)
>>
I wish I could get into one of these games, but they're typically obtuse with unfun combat.
>>
>>321917816
I think the X series lets you do that, though I've heard the combat in those games is underwhelming and the focus is more on the economic aspect.
>>
No one is mentioning Freelancer?
>>
>>321918423
X series? Do you mean XCOM?
>>
>>321918659
No, they're actually called X. It started with X: Beyond the Frontier, then its expansion XTension, then X2 and X3.
>>
>>321918628
Freelancer is definitely worth a play if you haven't already.

Starpoint Gemini 2 and Rebel Galaxy are not very good, not sure why they're getting talk here. If you absolutely have to play something that came out recently, Evochron Mercenary is your best bet by a mile.
>>
>>321912082
The game EVERSPACE isnt out yet but its exactly what youre looking for, friend.
>>
File: 24___RqiTq7b.jpg (62 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
24___RqiTq7b.jpg
62 KB, 800x600
>>321912887
>Elite Dangerous is shit

It is objectively one of the best and most beautiful space games. Star Citizen too.
>>
>>321920720
>buy stuff
>fly 7 minutes
>sell stuff
>after 10 hours of doing this, finally new ship
>better get to selling some more stuff so i can have an even better ship

Yeah, real good.
Theres just nothing to do there. Dogfighting is fun, but it get boring after 6 hours of doing the same shit. No entertaining missions. No lore. The progress in this game is just sooooo slow. Plus you meet a player once an hour, max. Its an empty game, a waiting simulator.
>>
These are barely like what you mentioned but:

Starsector
Endless Sky
>>
I'm kinda surprised there isn't a good text based space sim of some sort.
Even the space MUDs are pretty shitty.
>>
>>321919005
But anon, you forgot X: Rebirth
>>
>>321922617
No, he forgot Terran Conflict and Albion Prelude.
>>
>>321922237
There was one that runs on the same engine as HellMOO.
But it's dead as shit.
Wayfar or something like that.
>>
>>321921612
I'm sorry your ADHD doesn't allow you to enjoy the simple pleasure of space trucking.
>>
You spacefags should watch The Expanse, it's good.
>>
How autistic must I be to get into X3?
>>
>>321922853
It's pretty dead yes. It's not terrible, but it's very feature incomplete and buggy.
>>
>>321912082
what game is this, anon?
>>
>>321920720
E:D's flight model simply isn't good, it has too many issues. It's a great game to fall asleep playing.

I am a long time Elitefag. E:D was such a letdown.
>>
>>321922821
I figured I got the point across by just mentioning those games.
>>
>>321916352

Just finished the main story about 5 min ago, I never upgraded from an Icarus because there is literally no reason unless you want to grind procedurally generated missions for days for a marginal increase in DPS. I was still murdering everything in seconds once I had full MK6 gear. I was able to also move around the map at something above a snail's pace.
>>
>>321918628
Freelancer is probably the best for space exploration and upgrading your shit via exploring, since all the best items in the game have to be found that way.
>>
>People shitting on Elite and praising Evochron at the same time
Holy shit the differences are mostly negligible
>>
>>321920720
>Star Citizen too

dude what the fuck, it's still a buggy piece of shit and has been for quite some time

t. a $100 backer
>>
File: doger2.jpg (24 KB, 267x274) Image search: [Google]
doger2.jpg
24 KB, 267x274
>>321916436
>only play VNs
HOWWWWWWW
>>
>>321924794
they're fun. Other games are just chore simulators ignoring the rare competitive game
>>
>>321924381

Yaw isn't negligible.
>>
File: iw2.jpg (121 KB, 490x600) Image search: [Google]
iw2.jpg
121 KB, 490x600
>>321912887
Gonna second the recommendation for Independence War 2, I think it hits all the notes OP is asking for.

>sorta open world
>upgradable ships
>great dogfighting
>still looks pretty good even though the game is almost 15 years old
>>
>>321912082
Freelancer. Dur.
>>
>>321912887
How is X3? I remember buying it years ago, but I sort of gave up after a few hours and never really got round to playing it.
>>
>>321925653
X3 is great if you enjoy trading. It's pretty much your main way to earn money, but is quite easy to do as you can set up automated ships to fly to stations and do it for you.
Only thing that i think lets it down is how it just dumps you in the game without any decent tutorials. Makes it kind of hard for beginners.
>>
File: orbit11111.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
orbit11111.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>321912082

elite's dangerous horizon's is all exploration so far. Planetary landings are neat
>>
I have Galaxy of Fire 2 HD from some bundle. That game any good?
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.