[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this a good emulation box /v/? >Most powerful mobile
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: Nvidia Shield TV.jpg (42 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
Nvidia Shield TV.jpg
42 KB, 1500x844
Is this a good emulation box /v/?

>Most powerful mobile processor (Tegra X1, more powerful than 7th gen consoles)
>Can emulate PSX, N64, PSP, DS, Dreamcast flawlessly with visual enhancements
>Dolphin emulation rapidly advancing on Android, games like Super Mario Sunshine already fully playable
>Small, quiet, makes no noise whatsoever
>Quick navigation with its UI
>Has access to the Android version of ePSXe, one of the best PSX emulators (As well as Mednafen via Retroarch)
>Also doubles as a media box, being able to do 4k 60hz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS-erI3RPyg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AlUCD-BmDs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7JI4wFslz4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Iu3E1060Tg
>>
>>321901759
PSX? Android has Japanese PS2 DVR emulation now?
For what purpose?
>>
>>321901923
let's not

Also DBZ https://youtu.be/WC7dRI263-A
>>
please respond
>>
>$200
Maybe. But by the time it would get full emulator support, it would probably just be fine getting the Shield 2. Graphics processors are being upgraded, and that might include mobile.

It's also *not* mobile. It's a home box.
>>
Just build a mini itx pc for your living room
>>
>>321904497
Just shut up.
>>
>>321904575
It makes sense. There's no un-used PC for $200, but top of the line i5 combos with integraded are only $370.
>>
I have one, so I can give some input I guess.

Don't get the one with a hard drive. It tends to have a lot more problems, and it's cheaper to just buy a big external with it. Android in general has issues with hard drives, the most obvious one being it refuses to use them as internal storage so you can't actually get your apps or their data on them. You can use a microsd as internal storage though, for whatever reason. Oh another issue with hard drives is that externals attached don't seem to ever go to sleep, even if the system does.

I'm not sure if mednafen is actually capable of running perfectly on it. It was added to android retroarch purely for this box, as it might be the first strong enough to actually run it, but I haven't seen anyone use it and I've been too lazy to test it yet. It might even be capable of running mednafen, but because no other device has ever been able to do it, there's zero interest from the community to actually work on the emulator.

A lot of emulation is surprisingly more developed on Android now, like epsxe and reicast. The big reason the shield is capable of running stuff like Dolphin isn't its raw power, but the fact it has access to the opengl aep which brings it more in line with desktop opengl instead of the stripped down shit mobile opengl has been in the past. This will become the standard for android devices soon though. Still, I wouldn't expect much from Dolphin for years. On the flipside, the box is also good at streaming if you have an Nvidia card, so you could just stream desktop emulators to it.

I've been mostly using it for Kodi, and the only issue there is the image quality isn't particularly great. I doubt most people would notice it, and it's probably fixable if Nvidia bother to. I think the most unexpected feature it has as an HTPC is that its CPU is actually strong enough to software decode hi10p anime, which is basically impossible to find outside of building a dedicated htpc that would cost twice as much.
>>
>>321904575
What's wrong m8? Can't bear the thought you bought a stupid overpriced cell phone for a media center?
>>
>>321904698
Clarifying, the implication is also that used are much cheaper.

The PC also comes with the benefit of way better emulation.. and actual games support.
>>
>>321904374
I never meant it's a mobile device, but the Tegra X1 is technically a mobile processor. This lends to its size, quietness, and power consumption (5-20W). In other words, it's the most powerful Android device.

Also the only emulator in progress really is Dolphin. Everything else is perfect. Also I wouldn't worry about a successor as this is relatively new and there probably won't be something that beats the Tegra X1 in a long time.

>>321904746
He's not me. Don't let shitposting ensue.
>>
>>321905115
>Also the only emulator in progress really is Dolphin. Everything else is perfect.
PS2?
>>
>>321905298
no way will pcsx2 run on this thing
>>
I have one OP.

Every emulator except Dolphin is pretty much perfect right now. Dreamcast, PSP, DS etc all run full speed and I've even got 60fps patches working on PSP and N64 games. Visual enhancements are also a given. I haven't had it long but from what I've seen it's a great emulation and media box.

>>321904723
I got Mednafen running full speed through RetroArch. I still think ePSXe is better though, as it's only slightly less accurate (And actually more accurate in some areas) but has visual enhancements. See these mind the reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3jwj2b/android_ps1_emulator_accuracy_testing_results

http://emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/PS1_Tests

Android ePSXe really is one of the best PSX emulators. It also recently got an update allowing 4x internal resolution boosts with the Hardware renderer (I wouldn't use the OpenGL renderer as everything looks wrong, inaccurate, and worse.). Also Bsnes runs full speed through RetroArch which is great.
>>
>>321905298
There is no proper PS2 android emulator unfortunately. There's one called Play! in progress but it's not in playable stages. So everything other than PS2 (Which I'll admit is quite an omission)
>>
>>321905298
pcsx2 has no android version, and the only android ps2 emulator is in very early alpha and probably won't go anywhere.

Also, unlike that guy I wouldn't say N64, Saturn, or Dreamcast emulation are perfect, but they're kind of a shitshow on all systems. They're at least as good on android with decent hardware, and actually improving probably because they can get paid in the play store.
>>
>>321906110
N64 has netplay on PC.
>>
>>321904723
USB drive storage is a good option. You can't install apps on it but the Apps are tiny, what you can do is dumb all your roms on one. You can USB drives as large as 128GB and 256GB which should suffice for most people. Also they've said they will soon update the Shield TV to Android M/4.0 which will allow you to bind a USB device to the shield, so it can be used exactly like internal storage.
>>
>>321904723
>>321905802
>>321906110
>>321906906

Thanks for the help. I guess I'm sold on one. Other sites have called it the King of Android TVs (Which I guess isn't hard, but still) and I suppose its power from Tegra X1 helps lend to it being excellent on both fronts (Media & Emulation).

And there's always Android games too!
>>
>>321901759
Stop shilling this garbage
>>
>>321908217
Stop attacking something you know nothing about. It's the best in its class.
>>
>>321908167
Another thing is that Android TV (the interface the shield uses) is kinda the bastard step-child of Google. For some reason, the Play Store often doesn't recognize apps as being compatible with it, but if you go on the play store on your phone or something you can then tell it to push it to the system without issue. Go figure. I also don't think the Amazon Instant TV app supports it (entirely because Amazon wants to sell Fires), despite the fact it's on some SmartTVs using Android TV because some companies like Samsung paid off Amazon.

Some emulators are also really outdated on the playstore, and you need to side-load nightlies instead.

I think they're doing a thing where you get a free Shield remote with it now, but that remote doesn't have enough buttons for Kodi. The next version of Kodi (they might have backported the features to current) has support for long-presses to simulate stuff like a context menu button, but the remote is never really ideal. I spent 15 dollars on an amazon fire tv stick remote, and it synced immediately and works great. You can also just use the gamepad, I guess, but I wanted a more htpc style setup when I'm actually watching stuff.
>>
>>321909430
>You need to sideload

Funnily enough, the apks I transferred to my Shield like Dolphin all installed normally and appeared on the games list. Also from what I've seen it's only Dolphin that isn't updated on the Playstore, which is probably because it's free.
>>
>>321909902
The big one that's hugely outdated is Mupen64+AE. It's almost 2 years out of date on the play store, but is updated constantly elsewhere. It's probably a lot better than retroarch's core, since that's an old fork that hasn't been updated regularly.
>>
>>321910262
To be honest I hate RetroArch's UI. It uses fucking B (A on nintendo consoles) as the confirm button and it looks awful. I wish Bsnes, Gambatte and Genesis Plus GX had standalone versions on Android. They're the best emulators for their respective systems but I have to go through fucking RetroArch to use them.

It also seems to be responding badly to the Kodi Rom Collection Browser, as none of the inputs work when I launch a game through it.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.