[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Welp. There goes any hope for Pokken Tournament doing well in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5
File: Untitled.png (149 KB, 1366x700) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
149 KB, 1366x700
Welp. There goes any hope for Pokken Tournament doing well in the competitive scene. Fuck this gay Earth. I was so hyped for the game, too. How could they fuck up this badly?!
>>
People will turn any dumb shit into a competition to satisfy their fetish. It's this unmitigated autism like this that made phenomena like Smash, League of Legends, competitive.
>>
>>321900632
Just use a pro controller faggot.
It's not like it's a complex game anyway.
>>
Remember system link? I remember system link. I wish that would come back.
>>
>>321901150
So does that mean there was never any chance for this game to become popular competitively like Smash?
>>
>>321901332
How illiterate can you even be?
>>
has anybody complaining about this even once looked at footage of the game?
>>
pokken never had a chance to become a competitive game. Why play this over smash and street fighter?
>>
Blame The Pokemon Company.
>>
>>321901523
You act like there are no multiplayer versus competitive games that have similar cameras.
>>
Big fucking deal
>>>/vp/
>>
>>321901591
Because neither of those games have my favorite Pokémon in them?
>>
>>321900632
Were the Tekken or Soul Calibur games popular, competitively?
>>
>>321901972

This plays differently from those half of the time.
>>
>>321900632
Looks like a classic controller.

Why not use a classic controller?
>>
>>321902165
I'm just wondering if Namco has made any fighting game that's been popular in the competitive scene like Smash, Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter.
>>
>>321902376

Tekken and SC had scenes. They were never as popular as SF, but they existed.
>>
>>321901451
when 90 percent of the people at the pokken invitational said they saw it as a naruto ninja storm type game and did not take it serious what do you think its chances were
>>
>>321902243
Read the god damn picture. In versus mode, one player gets the TV, one person is FORCED to use the gamepad because the gamepad screen is that player's dedicated camera. It's not about that controller only allowing you to use one, it's that the game does not allow you to play versus with two controllers.
>>
>>321902513
>They were never as popular as SF
In the US. Korea and Japan have WAY bigger Tekken scenes than SF does and Europe loves Soul Calibur about as much as SF, it's very big in France and various other countries.
>>
How the fuck would you even be able to play this local without two screens?
>>
>>321905069
Same way you play any other 3d fighting game locally.
>>
>>321905567
splt screen?
>>
>>321905635
No

Have you never seen tekken or bloody roar or anything played locally?
>>
>>321905741
Have you ever seen Gundam VS played locally?
>>
>having hope for nintendo making anything competitive after brawl and tr4sh
>>
>>321900632
>muh competitive scence
Here is a small advise:
Kill yourself my man
>>
Why are nintendo fans so obsessed with making their kiddie games competitive?
>>
>>321905843
Have you ever seen the Naruto Ninja Storm games played locally?
>>
>>321905843
Gundam vs games have huge arenas you fly around in though, no shit that requires splitscreen

The playing field in pokken is only tekke/bloody roar/budokai sized, all of which can be played locally without split screen
>>
>>321905997
>>321906186
>>321906190
>>321900632

How would you make this competitive in a single monitor setup in the first place?

Did ANY of you actually see the game?
>>
>>321905741
Why do you mention games that are nothing like this.
Like someone already said from the basics its more of a naruto ninja game than what people call "3d" fighting games
>>
>>321906291
Are you just stupid or do you actually think this is the first game that works this way?
>>
>>321906291
You can't thats why Harada said that if they did tourneys they would have to use two cabinets.
>>
>>321906439
And all of those have local play without splitscreen.
>>
Wait isn't pokken a shitty fighting game like tekken or street fghter? why would you need 2 screens anyway? it's a fucking fighting game lmao
>>
>>321900632
literally who
>>
>>321906634
I didnt know Tekken had third-person camera view
>>
>>321906504

Ninja Storm and Tenkaichi work awfully, have way more simplified and universal movesets, and aren't competitive in the slightest.

Of course, did you actually played those games?
>>
>>321906738
Are you an idiot? Did you think Tekken was first person?
>>
>works via USB
>doesn't let you use two
>not at least having the option for split screen rather than forcing P1 to use the GamePad
>>
File: srsly.jpg (60 KB, 960x600) Image search: [Google]
srsly.jpg
60 KB, 960x600
>game is called Pokken Tournament
>not designed for tournament play
>>
>>321906893
And Pokken isn't? Do you think Pokken is complex at all? The game is simple as fuck, there isn't even high/low blocking.
>>
>>321906634
Yeah because at its core tekken is just 2.5D.
>>
>>321900632
>There goes any hope for Pokken Tournament doing well in the competitive scene.
You think that's what stopping that? And not that its just pokemon?
>>
>>321907032
>And Pokken isn't?
>I literally did not see the game
>>
>>321905997
Sm4sh is popular in the competitive scene, though.
>>
>>321900632
Didn't they say from the first day Pokken had a casual approach?
>>
>>321907202
Marvel vs. Capcom is just comic book superheroes fighting Mega Man characters. Your point?
>>
>>321907202
Nigga. It's fucking Pokémon. As long as the gameplay is good and viable for competitive play, it will explode in the tournament scene like in EVO.
>>
File: PokkenController.jpg (85 KB, 410x645) Image search: [Google]
PokkenController.jpg
85 KB, 410x645
>>321907256
Nigga did YOU see the game? It is simplified as fuck, and in the 3D movement you don't need to worry about precise spacing, but when you get close the fucking camera moves to a side profile fighting game fucking camera ANYWAYS. Why does the game need two cameras? It fucking doesn't, it would work just fine with one.
>>
If I can play NUNS offline on one screen with a friend, I can do it with this. Unless they went with some special snowflake camera angle.
>>
>>321907459
None of the Smash games were designed to be competitive, but both Melee and Sm4sh are very popular in the competitive scene. There's no reason why Pokken shouldn't be popular as well if it wasn't for this stupid design choice.
>>
>>321900632
I give no damns tbqh, as long as a for glory like mode exist i'm fine.
>>
>>321900632
I'm confused, didn't the invitational whatever it was called played in one screen?
>>
File: 435475689.jpg (11 KB, 320x260) Image search: [Google]
435475689.jpg
11 KB, 320x260
>>321907001
>Smash wasn't designed to be competitive
>popular in tournament play
>>
Let's see all the available controllers for the Wii U
Wii U Gamepad
Wii U Pro Controller
Wii Remote
Wii Remote Plus
Wii Classic Controller
Wii Classic Controller Pro
Gamecube controller for Smash 4
And now ANOTHER useless piece of shit that will probably only work for Pokken.

Nintendo, stop with this fucking bullshit, release the NX with a NORMAL fucking controller and if you want, release a gamepad as an accsesory for off tv play.

No more waggle shit pls (you actually needed waggle shit wii controllers for nintendoland btw).
>>
>>321907032
Sm4sh isn't complex at all either, yet it's still very popular, competitively.
>>
>>321908417
That was the arcade version, I think.
>>
>>321907989
Sm4sh was definitely designed with both competitive and casual players in mind.

Sakurai probably wanted to just make Brawl HD, but Nintendo executives and Bamco strongarmed him into throwing the competitive scene a bone.
>>
>>321908680
>Bamco strongarmed him into throwing the competitive scene a bone
This is what I don't get. Bamco cares about the competitive scene, so why this design choice? Perhaps it's Nintendo's fault.
>>
Why can't you ju
>>
>>321908417
They only showed you one screen, but it was played on a head to head cabinet, each player with their own screen.
>>
>>321908846
F
>>
>>321908431
I'm another anon. And I can kinda understand his pov. I can't remember which but one of this events last year had more smash 4 entrances than street fighter.
>>
Can anyone who has played or watched an extensive amount of Pokken gameplay explain to me the reasoning behind the decision to use an over-the-shoulder camera perspective?

Is there some mechanic in the game that requires the camera to be there? Or maybe there's some mechanic that requires the players to play on separate screens, to avoid "screen-looking?"

Or is it just an entirely aesthetic choice to make the game look unique, and inadvertently screw over the competitive scene?
>>
>>321907812
>Look at this controller!
Virtua Fighter.
>In 3D, you don't need spacing!
Projectile zoning and the approach game is spacing, ya dip.
>Why does it need two cameras
Explain why it can work with one without using a shitty game as an example.
>>
>>321909835
>Virtua Fighter
The controls, not the controller, you idiot. The game has an IDENTICAL control scheme to other games that play like this.

>Projectile zoning and the approach game is spacing, ya dip
And do you need to see the fucking pixel distance of how close a projectile is to you? No, you can approximate it just fine. This is different than in the close range where seeing the EXACT spacing of punches and kicks is important to the space control and footsies game, and guess what? In that situation the camera changes to fucking accomodate it.

>Explain why it can work with one without using a shitty game as an example.
The quality of the game is irrelevant. That style of camera DOES work and is proven to work and you would lose NOTHING. You greatly overdramaticize the importance of having your own camera to the very long range projectile spacing distance and that's the only range where the camera is 3D instead of side profile fixed to a 2D plane.
>>
>>321903747
...but the game pad is a controller.

Have you played the game? The camera is designed to focus on the player. All arcade matches are on cabs with independent screens. Did you think they would change the entire way the game is displayed when they don't have to?
>>
>>321907791
Sure, except that literally hasn't happened. It's been out in Japan since the summer and there is no serious competitive scene for it.
>>
File: 1351235900527.gif (1 MB, 267x219) Image search: [Google]
1351235900527.gif
1 MB, 267x219
>Tourneyfagging manchildren ruin Smash bros as a fun party game with their autism, eventually even shitting up EVO even though nobody fucking wants them there because they're all disgusting autistic manchildren who are desperate for people to take their baby game seriously while people are just trying to play actual competitive fighting games

>They want to do the same for some goofy looking pokemon game

>BTFO before the game even comes out

Everything went better than expected.
>>
>>321911593
>Did you think they would change the entire way the game is displayed when they don't have to?
You're implying they would have to change the camera instead of just getting rid of one camera.
>>
>>321912762

I don't recall tournyfags removing most of the SP from sm4sh or turning target smash into an angry birds ripoff.
>>
>Nintendo fucks up again

Big surprise.
>>
>>321913213

No but I do distinctly remember them turning off all the items and flipping shit if you pick any other level than the Tourneyfag-approved 2 or 3, thus ruining the fun and the entire fucking point of the game, leading me to just stop playing with them altogether and hanging out with other people who aren't fucking autists instead.
>>
Reminder that all toddlers and pokemong vidya related threads should ony go in
>>>/vp/

Thank you.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.