[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>There are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW that prefer digital games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: DVPmain.jpg (43 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
DVPmain.jpg
43 KB, 700x394
>There are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW that prefer digital games over physical.

Why?
>>
Space.

My two HDDs fit inside my desktop case, both have more than 500 games apiece. If I were to have physical copies of all of them, I'd need a bigger house.

Not only that, but I don't have to deal with excess hardware or other assorted bullshit to make it all work. Plus, I don't have to worry about cartridge/disc decay.
>>
Only because it's cheaper because of sales.
Sometimes I buy physical copy when I find one really cheap. And I resell it after that
>>
All my games are a click away, rather than having to bother with changing discs.

Buying digital games is easier and cheaper almost always (with pc).

I live in a 1,000 square foot apartment with three other people. Im already thinking about getting rid of the two dozen DVDs I own since we always just pirate movies anyways. I have a stack of 30 PS3 games that never gets used and 50 Wii games as we happily play on our computers.

If I lost my digital games somehow id just pirate them back.
>>
File: 1353024141437.jpg (33 KB, 307x352) Image search: [Google]
1353024141437.jpg
33 KB, 307x352
>>321900990
>50 wii games
>>
File: 1434084667381.jpg (16 KB, 447x444) Image search: [Google]
1434084667381.jpg
16 KB, 447x444
>>321900990
>50 Wii games
>>
>caring about someone else's personal preference when it in no way shape or form impacts or hinders you
>BUHHHH FUCK THEM!!!1111
>>
>>321898815
>playing video games
>someone accidentally touches the console
>disk in 1000 pieces
No thanks fampai
>>
>>321902281
>caring about someone else's personal preference when it in no way shape or form impacts or hinders you

That's what they said about horse amor dlc.
>I-i-it's just cosmetics
>I-i-it doesn't affect you so why care?

Now look where we are now anon, Season pass, day 1 dlc, incomplete games that are only complete with dlc.
>>
Digital games on PC are 1000x more convenient to acquire than physical.

If Steam ever stops working in the future, I can just pirate my games anyway.
>>
>>321898815
boxes are cool but fuck me if I'm ever using a dvd again if I can find a digital alternative
>>
>>321903961
There's a HUGE difference between a personal preference and a company offering something really shitty as DLC. Also I remember the horse armor debacle very well, and nobody said stuff like that.

While I agree that a company offering shitty services for bloated prices is shit, it's not the same thing as "Tom wore a red shirt today, but I only like blue, so Tom's a faggot."
>>
File: beavis.jpg (25 KB, 499x382) Image search: [Google]
beavis.jpg
25 KB, 499x382
>>321898815
digital games
>load faster
>don't break
>can be owned forever

physical games
>load slower
>can break, rot, and get lost
>can be owned for as long as you take care of it
>can sell to your local game store for like 3 dollars
>>
>>321904243
>>can break, rot, and get lost
>>can be owned for as long as you take care of it

Do you mongoloids not take care of your stuff? I still have near mint condition PS1 games that work just fine, and slightly dinged up NES carts that work perfectly fine. I buy a game and it sets on the shelf until I play it, what the fuck are you doing to your games? Playing frisbee? Storing them outside the case on top of the console?
>>
>>321904243
"Owning" digital games

Hope you aren't counting Steam games.
>>
>>321901630
>>321902139

>hurr durr console war fanboys herp a derp

The Wii is OBJECTIVELY the best video game platform on the market right now, including the PC. It provides a lot of opportunity for both casual and hardcore gamers, it features the most classic and lovable franchises of the entire video game industry's history, it's EXTREMELY customizable, and it actually gives a lot of support to third party developers and indie designers.

Face it, fanboys. Nintendo has WON this generation's console war. Stats don't lie, experience don't lie, Sony in tears, Microsoft on suicide watch.
>>
File: 145891714435.png (138 KB, 280x338) Image search: [Google]
145891714435.png
138 KB, 280x338
>>321898815
>There are people on /v/ RIGHT NOW that prefer digital games over physical.

Because people on /v/ are too underaged to be able to go out and buy 16+ games.
>>
>>321904771
>dismisses console war fanboys
>proceeds to type out the most console warring fanboy shit I've read in months
>ends it with "X fan base on suicide watch!"

Either a clever troll or an extremely braindead shitposter.
>>
>>321904501

DRM sucks, but that isn't a point against digital gaming. It's a point against fat fucks like Gabe Newell who insist on making digital gaming an iron fist of corporate tyranny.
>>
>>321904957
Literally this.
>>
>>321898815
Because you don't have to bother with discs, cartridges and stuff. You often only need to click an icon. People like you don't seem to know this, but no-cd cracks were REAL popular back in the day.
You won't risk damaging the physical game somehow which might reduce its quality or have any other impact on the game.
In case of PC you don't have to depend on your PC having a disc reader, which often saves money while building a new PC.

There are probably more, but the most prominent reason is that you don't have to bother with inserting or changing discs when playing games.
>>
>>321904995

I'm not even being a fanboy. I'm being OBJECTIVE, you asshat.

Nintendo has video game design, implementation, marketing, and maintenance down to a science. They are the oldest AND the best in the business. They know exactly what people who play video games are looking for and they know exactly how to provide it.

Scoreboard don't lie, Sonyfag.
>>
I was a late adopter of digital games because I had shitty internet for a long time, but I wouldn't go back 2bh. The only real value disks had to me were sentimental and convenience trumps that.
>>
File: 1451272779994.jpg (36 KB, 407x391) Image search: [Google]
1451272779994.jpg
36 KB, 407x391
>>321904771
>The Wii is OBJECTIVELY the best video game, including the PC

Nice try bro

Good effort broski

Solid attempt broseph

But if you're gonna bait try be more subtle broseidon
>>
File: 1448430220343.jpg (8 KB, 206x250) Image search: [Google]
1448430220343.jpg
8 KB, 206x250
>>321905249
>random capitalized words
>"asshat"
>calls me a Sonyfag when I said nothing that would lead him to believe I'm a Sony fan

I'm actually a proud idort you shitposting pillock. Also, why is it that whenever anybody says anything against Nintendo their first reaction is "B-but Sony!!!111"
>>
>>321904403
>what is an accident
>>
It's a lot easier, especially with PC. I prefer physical with consoles because there are barely enough games to bother owning, but on PC I have dozens and dozens of games. It's a pain in the fucking ass having to flip through CD cases to find a CD.

That said, the potential for forever losing access to these games because company's going bankrupt or taking their sites down or some shit is concerning.
>>
>>321905682
Sorry, but if you exclusively buy digital over physical because something, at some point, in some way, MIGHT happen then you're an idiot. Do you also not drive anywhere because you might get into an accident? Or not eat anything because you might choke or get food poisoning? Or not go swimming because you might drown? Accidents are accidents, there's no accounting for them and you shouldn't plan or alter your life around the possibility of something out of your control randomly happening.
>>
>>321904771
everything thing here is true. sadly
>>
Physical is pretty pointless now.
>PC games will attach to some online service either way, so the case is just a waste of space
>with current gen consoles you have to install even the disc-based games to the HDD wheter you want it or not, as end result it's the same experience but with added disc swapping
>>
>>321905731

>That said, the potential for forever losing access to these games because company's going bankrupt or taking their sites down or some shit is concerning

That's why piracy exists, anon. Even if Steam were to disappear tomorrow (which is about as likely as the Earth falling out of orbit with the Sun and drifting into the void within any of our lifetimes) you can still get 99% of Steam/Origin/uPlay/GOG's catalogs on any given tracker, with the remaining 1% being multiplayer stuff that for some reason doesn't have servers on Hamachi/Tunngle/GameRanger.

These backups have existed for decades.
>>
>>321905861
that would be convincing if a physical game breaking was the most important reason for digital being superior.

You're looking past the most important fact that digital games load faster, thus making the game more tolerable and fun. the fact that it's also immune to accidents is just a nice bonus.
>>
>>321898815
I thought you all meant sports vs. simulation. On that note, does anyone else compete in sports post highschool? I do endurance mountain biking for a beer company and I ski for myself. Others?
>>
The time it takes me to buy+download+play a digital game is like a hundred times faster than going to a store and buying it at full price (because PC) and then taking it home, punch in a download code that's basically a voucher for the digital game and ether install it using a disc drive I don't have or downloading it anyways and now I just have a box that I'll never touch again.

I only spring for digital on console if it's cheaper than the physical will ever be, though that only really applies to like the ps3 and vita, anything good on WiiU and 3ds will never go down more than $10 for a sale and will never go down in price permanently.
>>
>>321906134
>with current gen consoles you have to install even the disc-based games to the HDD wheter you want it or not, as end result it's the same experience but with added disc swapping

I completely agree with your point about PC games. Owning physical for them is pointless unless it's a really old copy of something you're holding on to for reasons. But for consoles I disagree. Yes, the points you made are valid but the thing is consoles have limited hdd space, so keeping everything constantly installed on it can quickly eat up the space, especially when games are upwards of 30-40 gigs this gen.

So I usually go physical for my console so I can save space and keep what I want/need on there and digital for PC. I think the last physical PC game I bought was Warcraft 3 Battle Chest Edition

>>321906365
Read my first reply in this post, it pretty much applies to you as well. Yes digital is faster and often more convenient but I usually go physical for a console.
>>
>>321906727
>Yes digital is faster and often more convenient but I usually go physical for a console.
if you want to cripple your overall game experience, by all means do so.
>>
>>321906378
I studied martial arts for several years until I broke my shoulder, but whenever I mention that on /v/ people dismiss me as some neckbeard who studied at a "Mcdojo" and post "NOTHING PERSONAL KID!" memes.
>>
>>321898815
I wont lose my digital games
>>
>>321904771
>>321905249
childlike tantrum, fitting of a nintoddler
>>
>>321907093
>I studied martial arts for several years
*teleports behind you*
>>
My internet speed is garbage so installing from a disc is faster than downloading the game, plus I like seeing my collection grow over time. A couple of ROMs are shit compared to having cases with artwork, manual, and the discs
>>
>>321904403
>I feel like playing _____ game
>Yep, this game has certainly retained its value well, paying to replace it would set me back a bit
>And just taking it out of the box
>OH SHIT
>It's slipped out of my hand and has gone out of the window, falling three floors and breaking
>Time to buy a new one

Vs

>I feel like playing _____ game
>Yep, this game has certainly retained its value well, fortunately I have a digital copy and do not have to fear losing it
>And just clicking play
>Sorted

Simple
>>
>>321901630
Not him but I can probably come up with at least 50 Wii titles that aren't shovelware.
>>
>>321898815
digital with drm is really meh, but digital without drm is superior

you get more space, there is no chance of the game being damaged physically (unless harm somehow comes to the storage device) and its far more practical, though i do enjoy the neat things of physical copies like collectors editions and manuals
>>
>>321907898
By all means, if your fictional over-exaggerated scenario in which a disc flies out of my hand and out the window somehow scares you then stick to digital. I said I like both and I do.

I'm like this anon. >>321907671
I have a great collection of near pristine games and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. There's nothing wrong with digital only, it's just a preference of mine. I can acknowledge that your preference isn't my cup of tea but can still refrain from insults and shitposting, why can't everyone else?
>>
>>321907671
>>321907671
>>321907671
>installing games from discs
>2015
Sucks to be you, mandatory 50gb updates are the norm now
>>
>>321908337
>mandatory 50gb updates are the norm now
This meme began when a glitch for Assassin's Creed Unity, on the Xbone version only, downloaded a 60gig "patch" instead of the actual 2-3 gig patch.

I've had a PS4 and an Xbone since the beginning of the gen and that instance, which was corrected, was literally the only time that EVER happened. Stop spreading this meme.
>>
>>321898815
I really don't like digital. The only times I do it are if a game is on sale digitally or I own it physically and buy the digital version cheaper and sell my physical one to make some money but still be able to play the game. Example was Dead Island Riptide (Yes I tolerate the series), like two months after it came out I bought it for $25, it went on sale on Xbox Live for $3.99, bought that and sold my physical one for $20.

And then there's the physical copies of games that are expensive vs. the digital version. I bought Oreshika on the Vita after seeing that the cheapest physical version is $100 at least. And of course older games that are rare or just expensive. Chibi Robo on GC shot up to $75-$80 right now. Physical Earthbound is like $160-$200 versus $10 I think on the eShop.
>>
File: One outs.png (485 KB, 831x663) Image search: [Google]
One outs.png
485 KB, 831x663
On handhelds : Downloads>Physical

Anything else : Physical> Downloads

Friking hate how even installing shit on ps4 from disc takes a whole 50GB though.
>>
In fact i prefer physical copies.

I like to display and watch my collection from time to time.

space is relatively not a problem because i don't have an excessive amount of games and live alone.

I still have 200+ digital games tough, for pratical reasons and so on. And sometimes i just feel sad thinking: "damn, i should have this in my collection".
>>
>>321898815
Shorter Loading times, and no disk noises
>>
>digital game = ~$10
>physical copy = $80+
The choice is obvious.
>>
>>321908058
Can you? I understand if you don't want to take the time to do so, but I'd be pretty hard pressed to come up with half of that.
>>
>>321898815
Physical disks can get scratched up. :/
>>
>>321898815
I'm moving every two years. Not just across the street, or to a different part of town. Nope. I move to a new country. I'll be damned if I have to carry boxes of vidya with me..
>>
>>321908789
Isn't this kind of the opposite sometimes? Take Lords of the Fallen, because I was just discussing this last night. It still sells for 59.99 on the PSN, but you can pick it up in stores for like 14.99.
>>
>>321898815
I have a xbox one and I game share.
>>
File: EmulationIsBetter.jpg (184 KB, 620x433) Image search: [Google]
EmulationIsBetter.jpg
184 KB, 620x433
>>321898815
>>
On PC it is physical, even if it's digital
>>
File: muh steam rentals.png (254 KB, 1215x1033) Image search: [Google]
muh steam rentals.png
254 KB, 1215x1033
>>321904501
>>
After moving on my own apartment, I decided to change anything I could for digital
Dont have mommy no more to clean all this shit
Its not like the internet will stop working ever in my lifetime
>>
>>321908926
he doesn't leave his house to know these things.
>>
>>321908926
PSN is shit when it comes to that stuff. Games that came out years ago still cost $50 while stores make them cheaper at that point..
>>
>>321909406
True but it's the same for Xbox Live. Black Ops 2 is still 40-50 bucks on XBL but it's much cheaper in stores, and the same can be said for many other games.

Again, my original point is that digital is always cheaper on PC, so I always choose digital for PC. But on console it's a mix of physical and digital, and this depends on price availability, space issues, etc etc.
>>
>>321898815

Because people spend $2000 USD in expensive computer pieces but they dont buy shelfs
>>
>>321903975
Except right now there are DMCAs going around and some torrent can't even be found and people are barely seeding old torrents.
>>
>>321906431
Buy Oreshika right now dude, $10 vs. $100 for the physical English release.
>>
A lot of subjective opinions going on.

Physical, while you can lend to friends and resell, is prone to your disk getting damaged, and if it get's damaged, you lose the game forever, and the game is also going to be tied down to the console of that era. Which means if your SNES breaks, you are going to have to find someone that has a good SNES, whether used or new (much rarer) if you get lucky.

That is the problem with physical.

With digital, on PCs it will always last since the software can be copied to a variety of physical storage. Disks, USB, External HDD, etc. Not only that, but PCs are forever, once a game is on PC, you can play that game on the same system whether it's in two or ten years.

Find me a copy of Breath of Fire, brand new, with a new SNES. You can't. And if you managed to do so, it will cost a ridiculous amount of money. I still want to play Badur's Gate: Dark Alliance and finding the game new is worth nearly $100 for PS2. Ludicrous.

Digital on Steam is retarded since it's tied to your account, digital on consoles is also retarded since it's tied to your account too. Both of these are bad practices and the former does not belong on PC since the PC is an open economy that is supposed to let the person choose. The reason Steam and these Mustard Race faggots exist is because Valve did a marketing strategy which was give the PC gaming crowd an identity and a community place. Basically it's what normies crave.
>>
>>321911162
Data degrades too anon, ask /mu/.
>>
>>321904243
>can break, rot, and get lost
>can be owned for as long as you take care of it
Read: I can't take care of a simple object

Literally just keep it in the case and keep it in a temperature-controlled, dry environment

Like a bookshelf

WOW, it suddenly lasts a long time!
Probably longer than you!
>>
>>321907898
>OH SHIT
>It's slipped out of my hand and has gone out of the window, falling three floors and breaking
For this to happen without being a turbo-retard you would have to have your game near an open window when opening it, hold it in such a way that it could slip, then drop it in such a way that it bounced off of the window sill and out

This is 100% avoidable and is really pretty fucking stupid
>>
>>321902281

As long as it stays that way, I'm fine. But many people are clamoring for the death of physical copies, and that's when it DOES impact and hinder me.
>>
>>321913271
>Not getting the point
wow culd you be any dumber
>>
>>321913271
Not to mention that discs are so light that they probably wouldn't break anyway, especially if they fell onto grass.
>>
>>321911162
>A lot of subjective opinions going on.
You mean, as opposed to objective opinions?
>>
Because of the price i.e project diva is $50 digitally but the disc cost like $90. But I wouldn't get vanquish digitally because it's huge and short as fuck. I still wating for a price drop on project diva and I've waited for a year.
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.