[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let's talk about game mechanics. What are some game mechanics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3
File: 032114263435.jpg (108 KB, 545x712) Image search: [Google]
032114263435.jpg
108 KB, 545x712
Let's talk about game mechanics.

What are some game mechanics that you wish existed, or that aren't used often enough?
>>
>>321889281
sucking cock
>>
Bullet physics in shooters.
Health packs and armor in FPS games.
>>
>>321889281
I'd like a mechanic where yer mum sucks my willy lel
>>
>>321889281
Games that mock you for save scummig.
>>
>>321889281
>the saturation on this image
Jesus christ, it almost looks nothing like in the actual book
>>
File: 1444960329810.jpg (15 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
1444960329810.jpg
15 KB, 251x251
>>321889281
WEEBSHIT
E
E
B
S
H
I
T
>>
>>321890302
>Health packs and armor in FPS games
THIS, FUCKING THIS
>>
>>321889281
Games not holding your hand
Every fucking game since I don't know when places hints and tutorials and retrys without any consequences and it's pissing me off
>>
>>321890302
Timed Hits as Mario RPG like to call them. Mario RPG, Legend of Dragoon, Mother 3, LISA, Paper Mario and maybe a few others but generally over 90% of turn based games is simply press a button then wait. Games that actually give you something to do during combat is just overall more enjoyable for me.

Games with auto battle or at least auto attack is a nice alt though not as enjoyable and kinda lazy design when you have to give a player a faster way to grind because even you (the dev) think the is that fucking boring.
>>
Press Turn.
>>
>>321890750
I think only Atlus have rights to that system. I know the reason most early games didn't use action bar timers is because FF created and hoard the rights to it keeping any other RPG from stepping beyond turn base combat.

I personally like it better than the One More system myself but don't expect anything outside of SMT to be using it.
>>
>>321889281
Gears of War's action reload.
>>
Weapon plating. You can make any part of your weapon different colors depending on the type of material you bring.
>>
File: 1534631581.jpg (83 KB, 500x712) Image search: [Google]
1534631581.jpg
83 KB, 500x712
>>321889281
I would love more games with archery to deal with wind
>>
>>321889281
- Playing as the villain
- Suikoden-style army recruiting (actually Suikoden as a whole has never been emulated or copied in any other franchise)
- snowboarding minigame (only VII and SDR2 have this afaik?)
>>
destroyable environments
>>
>>321890690
>Legend of Dragoon
I like timed hits but it was so obnoxious in that game.
>>
>>321893851
>Playing as the villain
god of war 3
>>
>>321889281
Mass Effect 2 had that thing where your face got scarred/healed based on your moral choices (Fable also did this to great effect)

honestly not enough games in general allow you to customize the MC, without them being a blank slate to start with.
>>
>>321894885
I'm not saying the concept doesn't exist, it is just severely underused. And that's a weak example since every fucking GOW game tries to make Kratos the sympathetic revenger who is just giving Zeus what's coming to him
>>
Do-it-yourself equipment.
Thought without the flaw of "only one or two builds are even remotely effective"
>>
Mechanics like the bash skill in Ori where you can jump off enemy projectiles or certain setpeices.
>>
>>321895210
in three Kratos is a really the baddie, the game might try to justify it somehow but you know what is right
and yeah, I've just meant to say that that's the first game that comes to mind, not the only one
>>
>>321889281
Enemies moving when you move and ONLY when you move.
>>
Insta win against weak enemies like in Earthbound
>>
>>321889281
clothing damage
>>
I'm fucking shit at wall jumps in any game that has them and I'll never git gud I swear.

fucking hate running into a NSMB level in mario maker since that's what they usually seem to be built around
>>
RPGs with enemies on the overworld, and as such no random battles.

I fucking hate most RPGs because they're slow, miserable grinds but ones that do this feel a million times better in my experience, from something like Chrono Trigger or Paper Mario TTYD or even Persona 4 where you don't know what the actual mobs are, but at least you can run away if you feel like it.
>>
I want more games with optional checkpoints like in shovel knight where you can choose to either use them or you can break them so you get a harder level with a bit more reward if you don't fuck up.
>>
Dynamic music
>>
>>321895512
This.
I didn't like EB but I liked that. I hate when I go back to the first locations in RPGs and still have to waste time fighting lvl 1 monsters.
>>
>>321891887
Came here to post this, wish more games ripped this off instead of cover shooting.
>>
>>321896852
I didn't particularly like earthbound either (menu managing nightmare) but that was a brilliant idea
Also, walking back and forth could make the enemies disappear
>>
>>321889281
MEGAMAN STYLE "BEAT THE BOSS AND GET A POWER UP" GAMEPLAY IS PRETTY COMMON

BUT

WHAT ISN'T COMMON IS A GAME WITH MULTIPLE CHARACTERS AND HAVING TO CHOOSE WHICH ONE GETS THE UPGRADE

ALL THE ACTUAL MEGAMAN GAMES DON'T DO THIS, THE ONLY ONE I'VE SEEN THAT DOES IS A 2HU PARODY OF MEGAMAN AND IT MAKES THE GAME HAVE WAY MORE REPLAY VALUE
>>
>>321889281
there aren't enough action/platform games with real time character swapping

the only ones that come to mind are DKC, a couple castlevania games and lunar knights
>>
>>321897491
The Lost Vikings
>>
>>321889281
Lufia "Items Have abilities"
Lufia "Dealing and taking damage is a resource"
>>
This is going to sound vague as fuck but I want a game that's both fast paced AND visceral. The game that has pulled this off very well is FEAR because of its excellent gunplay and pacing. Where I WISH more of this would exist is among action games and ARPGs. Action games are either fast paced (DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta) or visceral (God Of War). Same with ARPGs (Tales Of has some cool fast paced stuff while Dark Souls has visceral stuff.)
>>
>>321897630
lost vikings isn't really the same because the whole point is getting the characters together

it's not "this character is useful for this segment, I'll swap to him"
>>
>>321897885
my bad, it was the first game that came to my mind. it's been ages since I've actually played it
>>
More game modes like Smash Run or City Trial, quick rounds of building up stats and power-ups to participate in a quick 30-90 secone event. A lot of fun, but the checklist in Air Ride's CT made it so much better.

Some sort of dynamic strategy game where it's turn-based, but the turns happen at the same time. So you plan all your movements, as does the opponent, then if you happen to fall into attacking range (as in you can initiate and they can't counterattack due to range) the movement stops and you're allowed to either attack or keep moving. It two close range fighters bump into each other, they must fight. If you're a dumbass and try to move two of your characters onto the same spot, the heavier unit wins and the other one gets pushed back.

What happened to a decent reputation system? New Vegas was the last one I recall being decent.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.