[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you call this genre, and what's your honest opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6
File: storygames.png (296 KB, 936x648) Image search: [Google]
storygames.png
296 KB, 936x648
What do you call this genre, and what's your honest opinion of the genre?
>>
'game'
>>
>>321885246
That's a medium, not a genre
>>
visual novel
garbage for angst teens
>>
Walking simulators
D4 is a walking simulator? I thought had some gameplay
>>
>>321885156
d4 is the only one of those I recognize and it was really shit.

Like worse a version of point and click games from the 90s but without the excuse of it being the 90s.
>>
Failed writers: The Genre
>>
File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (144 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
144 KB, 1600x900
>>321885156
Back in the day we called this genre graphic adventure.

Of course you hip kids called it "tumblr-no-game" to fit it.
>>
>>321885496
I think walking simulators are more things like Dear Ester and Stanley Parable. The titles and devs in OP are usually defined by player choices and/or QTEs.
>>
They're basically choose your own adventure books as games. Visual novels, whatever. I don't care if people like or make them because there's really no argument for what they are. The only gameplay is dialogue choice or extremely hand holding and linear quick time events.

There's no challenge, no requirement of skill. Just choosing which chapter to read next. random number generator can play these games with just as much effectiveness as a person. They are entirely story dependent and are closer to interactive movies than video games.
>>
This is nothing like Walking Simulators.

Walking Simulators are stuff like Dear Esther, Stanley Parable, Gone Home (I'm not saying this as a negative thing)

The games in the OP are more their own thing. Modernized Adventure games. Maybe... Talking Simulators?
>>
Adventure games.
>>
Until dawn is honestly the first game that I think got this formula right
>>
>>321885156
Visual novel
>>
>>321885156
Interactive Movies
I played only LiS, simple but comfy as fuck, I really liked the music.
>>
They're fucking point and click games that just let you walk, modern adventure games. What kind of stupid fucking questions are you asking OP? Are you retarded?
>>
>>321888645
Most people crying about these things aren't people who experienced the existance of PoC games height.
>>
>>321885156
>what's your honest opinion of the genre?
They can work, but when a video game is relying pretty much entirely on its story and writing to work, they need to be top notch, they can't be video game-tier.
>>321885620
But graphic adventures had you actually solving puzzle, even if at times retardedly contrived. You could get stuck in a graphic adventure.
These new iterations aren't like that.
>>
>>321885620
No, we called them point & click adventures, because that's what they were.
>>
>>321888975
>But graphic adventures had you actually solving puzzle
sure, but like everything these years, the gameplay mechanics are heavily simplified. you still have to solve puzzles in a lot of those game, but they're trivial and there's a greater focus on the dialog/story. Also, remember FMV games? Or Dragons Lair?
>>
>>321885156
Point and click
>>
>>321889316
>like everything these years, the gameplay mechanics are heavily simplified
I suppose so. It's just that puzzle solving was such a pillar in the gameplay of P&Cs that taking it away doesn't feel like taking away, say, health pickups from FPSs.
>Also, remember FMV games? Or Dragons Lair?
Nah, never played those. They always came on 57 CDs and required you to take a bank loan to be able to afford one.
>>
>>321888975
>Save this pie you get at the start of the game, you'll need it to throw at a yeti! If you don't, you're fucked and have to start over!

Being able to get stuck is one thing, but graphic adventure games had some serious "how the fuck was I supposed to know that" bullshit going on back in the day.
>>
>>321888836
No fuck that and fuck every stupid mother fucker on this board, this thread is eye opening. In the average /v/irgins constant pursuit to shit on things either through plain disinfo or feigned stupidity they have made the userbase as a whole here fucking retarded. Who the fuck doesn't know what a point and click game is that isn't 10?
>>
>>321889950
Those were mostly the early Sierra ones, which took directly from the text adventures, games that were designed to be replayed over and over to finish them.
What I meant with "stuck" was more of a "what the hell do I do now?" situation. Lucasfilm with Monkey Island figured out that creating situations where the players were forced in an unwinnable state was just going to lead to frustration.
>>
>>321888975
>You could get stuck in a graphic adventure.

Not only stuck, in some of them you could actually die if you were not careful enough.
>>
File: discworld2-20.png (119 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
discworld2-20.png
119 KB, 640x480
>>321889853
I guess what I'm trying to say is that genre definition in video games are really wide. Think about RPG for example, how many subgenre can you think of? This is the same deal, is my point. We have Point and Click adventures with a lot of puzzles (Feeble Files for example if you're a masochist, it's great though), some with more simple puzzles (Lucasarts), we have Point and Click Adventures where you don't even point nor click, but walk with a controller. Now we have ones with little to none puzzles, but with heavy emphasis (or sugorated) on choices.
>>
I call them interactive movies. I enjoyed the walking dead season 1 and then season 2 was just pretty bad so I haven't bought any since. The genre isn't for me.
>>
>>321890251
Relax negro
>>
They can be entertaining if the story is alright and there actually is some story interaction in it. This is why i didn't enjoy D4.
>>
File: discworld-noir.jpg (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
discworld-noir.jpg
44 KB, 640x480
>>321890474
>Lucasfilm with Monkey Island figured out that creating situations where the players were forced in an unwinnable state was just going to lead to frustration.

And then people were annoyed by nonsensical puzzles and pixel hunting. I do wish some older P&C adventures would get re-released digitally.
>>
>>321885156
Someone discovered graphic novels. Woooooooahhh clap clap clap clap.
>>
Point and click adventure. Not my cup of tea.

What? You expect me to scathe people who play a type of game because I don't like it? What's my word going to do? Make the genre appeal to me? Fuck you!
>>
>>321885156
Life is Strange is more point and click game (at least the first episode is)
Tale games follow a more QTE "interactive experience"
Can't really comment of D4 or QD.
>>
Neo-Adventure?

I like Life is Strange, but I generally don't like the genre. I think Telltale games suck shit because of the terrible animation.
>>
ROOTY TOOTY POINT AND YOUR DECISIONS DONT MATTER AT ALL-OOTY?!
>>
>>321891904
PTPAYDDMAAO? too long
>>
>>321885307
Whatever, nerd
>>
Visual novel works really well, interactive narrative seems to be a coining by the west to give distinction- even though they essentially serve the same genre.
>>
>>321892027
"pitpaidmao" works
>>
>>321892267
who is pit?
>>
>>321892329
It's like dark pit but less dark and more pit
>>
File: 1450857557023.gif (3 MB, 167x190) Image search: [Google]
1450857557023.gif
3 MB, 167x190
Telltale, at one point, used to make actual games.
>sam and max series
>monkey island
>the two BONE games
Feel free to add some if I missed any other good stuff.
After the walking dead series, they started clinging to that formula of storytelling.
And it got old really fast.
>>
it's fucking great

shame the past few Telltale games and future ones are kind of mediocre.
LiS was amazing though, despite all the budget cut content
>>
>>321892729
Poker Night at the Inventory is pretty good
>>
I kinda liked Heavy rain for that scene where you drive in traffic, and the saw like scene, but otherwise I despise this genre
>>
>>321892729
They caught wind of how retarded players are don't actually want to think. Also MUH FEELS crowd was huge about TWD1. as far as I remember.
>>
>>321892729
>Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
>Puzzle Agent 1 & 2
>>
>>321893009
>/v/ shitting on /v/ for /v/ memes
>>
>>321893014
>>321892729
Wallace and Gromit
Back to the Future
>>
>>321885156
>nongames are degeneracy
>>
>>321885156
VNs.
Most are pretty shallow to what extent the player can affect the story so I guess its mostly just about the characters. Life is Strange has some great characters if not for some cringey dialogue.
>>
>>321893495
>visual novels
its obvious you have never played one in your life
feel free to stop posting anytime
>>
>>321885156
Western Visual Novel. Shitty.
>>
Adventure Games for Lazy Hipsters
>>
>>321894118
So adventure games?
>>
SHIT MEME AUTISM
>>
>>321893975
You seem pretty fucking mad that I have grouped western non games together with eastern ones. Ohmy, did I touch a nerve anon?
I'm sorry for disgracing your waifu by lumping her in this shameful category.
>>
>>321894519
Bitch!!!
>>
I don't really like them being called VNs because that's generally viewed as the Japanese genre with non-animated characters that just slide on and off screen.
>>321894019
>western visual novel
>D4
>>
>>321894615
Yeah I dont know wtf to call D4.
Really fucking boring seems apt.
>>
>>321894519
>one is a digital CYOA with pictures
>the other is a modern take on adventure games
it doesn't matter where it comes from i wouldn't pit D4 and Fate/Stay night in the same genre because they are nothing alike despite being what you class as "Visual novels"
>>
http://strawpoll.me/6396457

Let's settle it in smash
>>
>what do you call adventure games
Are you an elementary schooler or something?
>>
>>321891428
QD did Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls
>>
>>321885307
smartass
>>
>>321898576
Fucker
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.