[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When does this game get good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11
When does this game get good?
>>
When you load up the game and press start.
>>
>>321871185
When you turn off
>>
I just bought it so I don't know
>>
The characters and dialogues are great but everything else what you may call "gameplay" is dogshit
>>
>>321871185
when you find out that the sherrif is the raincoat killer and kaysen is the big bad guy and kills emmily.
>>
It doesn't.

It's a somewhat interesting story trapped in a fucking awful game but that's all it is.
>>
>He fell for the "DP is good" meme
>>
>>321871360
This.
I've been told that it's worth slogging through the game to get to more story/dialogue (which I admit is nice), but after just finishing the first chase sequence, I think I'm done.
>>
>>321871185

It's never "good", but you will get sucked in to the story and characters and genuinely care about them.

I'd say it picks up after the saw mill and keeps it's momentum. Maybe 2-3 hours in.
>>
File: 1448923495491.png (490 KB, 600x850) Image search: [Google]
1448923495491.png
490 KB, 600x850
>>321871405
Mfw this is one of the first story games where I managed to completely avoid spoilers years after release
>>
File: jack-black-stop.jpg (10 KB, 293x282) Image search: [Google]
jack-black-stop.jpg
10 KB, 293x282
>>321871185
ITT: People who didn't play the correct way on easy mode
>>
>>321871185

I couldn't get past two kids sitting in a chair and whispering to one another, so I gave up. What happens after that?
>>
Reminder that the combat in the game was never part of the original pitch. Swery wanted DP to be solely about all the weird people in town and the murder mystery. When shown to publishers, he was told to put in some sort of combat, or else no one would like the game.
though, to be fair, without the comat, we wouldn't have the awesome/retarded demon Kaysen fight
>>
>>321871704
>What happens after that?
The whole thing
>>
>>321871631

That's because nobody played it to know any spoilers.
>>
File: Sinners Sandwich.jpg (159 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Sinners Sandwich.jpg
159 KB, 1920x1080
>>321871631
Same here.
Was not disappointed, what a great fucking ride it was.
>>
>>321871801

Yeah, I know. How do you get past those two, anyway?
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563 KB, 569x802) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563 KB, 569x802
>>321871405
You forgot that your Zack and York is the guy in your head you swapped personalities with after watching Kaysen kill your mother and your father kill himself.
>>
>>321871898
Investigate everything in the room
>>
>>321871185
When you eat the Sinner's Sandwich. Then you can go get the dog bones
>>
File: dp raincoat killer axe.jpg (32 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
dp raincoat killer axe.jpg
32 KB, 620x349
>mfw this whole fucking thread
>>
File: 1436274376018.jpg (64 KB, 650x433) Image search: [Google]
1436274376018.jpg
64 KB, 650x433
>>321871185
>10 of those stupid fucking wall monsters in a row near the end of the game where I kept running out of bullets
>>
File: goodlookbrother.jpg (232 KB, 960x544) Image search: [Google]
goodlookbrother.jpg
232 KB, 960x544
>>321872106
>not having infinite ammo flame thrower and shit
>>
>>321871771

People keep saying this like I'm supposed to be pissed at the publisher. I'm not sorry the publisher forced him to put some actual gameplay in his game though I would have preferred it didn't suck and didn't cause the already very low framerate to fall even further. For fuck's sake, there isn't even any real investigation gameplay in the game. What exactly was this "game" supposed to have been, just a series of cutscenes with a bad driving minigame between all of them?

I'm tired of these people that make a game because they've got a story to tell, it's the wrong fucking medium for that.
>>
File: why.gif (997 KB, 269x201) Image search: [Google]
why.gif
997 KB, 269x201
>>321872376
>only combat is actual gameplay

Did you even realize there are sidequests or?
>>
At the very first second you enormous plebeian.
>>
>>321871185
Deadly Premonition is a gateway game of the worst kind. It's a bad series, a clusterfuck of story and gameplay that isn't very well done by any aspect, but which attempts to compensate for its weaknesses by adding in excessive off beat humour and film disscussion. The normal anon can see this as the shit it is, and may enjoy it, hate it or be indifferent to it, but all the while recognizing that the game itself, regardless of their opinion, is plain bad.
However, these very aspects that try to smear over the shit of its core make it a breeding ground for aspie, unsociable underageb& faggots who engage in every kind of faggotry both online and in the real world. The quirky character all trying their hardest to be strange, the wall monsters, rain coat killer, George is the killer, the whole gay tranny faggotry and everything about the Deadly Premonition world fuels their escapist fantasies, while the pity-party character backgrounds, emphasis on quirky shit, and horrid tank controls of the game make it fit just right with the contrarian drives of your average hipster and his sense of unwarranted self-importance towards the world. Exactly the kind of shit that makes little kiddies and underageb& retards eat this shit right the fuck up.
Deadly Premonition is basically THE game to attract the most hated game fanbase known to /v/, which is why, regardless of individual opinions, it is the responsibility of every anon to troll the fuck out of this game and everyone who likes it, and ensure that no DP threads ever encourage the newfriends to show their faces here.
>>
It gets good around 2-3 hours in but I could never see myself playing it again. I didn't even do side mission either so it wasn't as exhausting as it could have been.

Tried playing the definitive edition on PS3 and tackling the side missions a couple years after completing the original and just couldn't enjoy it as much. If you know the story already, the unpolished state of the game makes it a chore.
>>
>>321872175
But I had to fight even more wallmonsters to get that shit.
And the flamethrower never seemed to fucking work.
>>
>>321872718
Look, you can't copy a banner and expect people to take your bait
>>
>>321872784
I'm pretty sure you had to just do a favor for some weird cemetery guy or something
>>
>unpolished
>shit gameplay
but that's litereally one reason to like the game, somehow. it wouldn't be as good as it is when the game was polished and had great gameplay.
>>
>>321872513

The majority of the sidequests are just fetch quests at the most. They are not exactly compelling gameplay.
>>
>>321872862
>Look, you can't copy a banner

?????
>>
>>321872718

but Jim 'Started being a cuck only when is was career suicide not to be one' Sterling said it was good anon.
>>
>>321872890
I just just said I had the flamethrower and it didn't work on the monsters I already collected the stupid fucking bones
>>
>>321872718
Nice blog
>>
File: 260.jpg (170 KB, 622x861) Image search: [Google]
260.jpg
170 KB, 622x861
>>321873112
And now I know you're just new.
>>
>>321873179
smg is p good on the wall guys
>>
Just clear the intro

Driving round town, talking to the townsfolk and solving cases is very comfy and you'll soon settle into its quirky style of low budgetry

I absolutely love Francis' monologues about movies and music
>>
>>321873038

I just can't even fathom...

Are you seriously arguing the game is only so "good" because it's so shit?

I'm sorry but no. It's not charming when the framerate plunges into single digits during the chase sequences, it's fucking annoying. It's not good when you slog through the worst RE-clone gameplay seen in more than a decade, it's fucking tedious.
>>
>>321873394
Are you playing the PC version? That is one of the worst ports ever made and the framerate is only good if you switch to compatibility mode under program properties. Also a lot of time you don't actually need to engage in combat.
>>
>>321871185
Are you the sort of faggot that can tolerate bad gameplay for a good story and setting? That will determine whether or not you like deadly premonition.
I am that sort of faggot and it's one of my favorite games of the last gen
>>
>>321873552
The PS3 port is pretty fucking terrible too. Worse than the PC version I'd say.

The 360 version stayed the best release of the game it seems.
>>
>>321873552

No, I played on 360.

All 3 versions of the game run like shit with each version being even worse than the previous. The devs just suck. I honestly wonder how it ever passed certification on the consoles.
>>
>>321873298
This is an old ass /a/ meme I have no idea what fucking banner you're on about kiddie
>>
>>321873872
The budget was pretty bad, and it went through some development hell.
>>
>>321873872
I still can't believe having Playstation Move support was one of their heavily touted new features for their PS3 edition.
>>
>>321873951
The 4chan banner at the top of the page you fucking mong. That stupid meme is plastered there every once in a while.
>>
>>321873872
> I honestly wonder how it ever passed certification on the consoles
There's no certification anywhere, as long as you have money, they'll let you publish.
>>
>>321873960

Stop making excuses.

Three separate versions of the game released at three different times over a span of many years and all plagued with performance and graphics issues. If there was the occasional framerate drop it'd be fine but there are parts where there a consistent huge drops and they did nothing to fix this. They didn't even just do a quick lazy fix like downgrade the graphics just for that area or something. They just didn't give a shit because the gameplay was an inconvenience forced on them by the publisher. We should not be applauding devs for that sort of crap, certainly not saying those sorts of issues make the game even better.
>>
Arguably after the beginning when you get out of the forced combat section and the game opens up.

On the other hand, how much you enjoy it might depend on how much appreciation you have for the 90s TV show Twin Peaks. I absolutely love it and I was happy to play a slightly worse version of one of my favourite shows.
>>
>>321874039
Cool brah IDRC
>>
>>321871185
Never.

It's just entertaining in it's own way and kinda intriguing.
It's actually not a good game at all.
>>
>>321874690
>he can't enjoy absolute garbage
Learn to have a little fun, anon.
>>
>>321874690
When you call somebody out on making excuses you should also try and think who they're making excuses for. I'm not saying the programmers ever did a good job, in fact, I think they consistently did a really shitty one. I'm saying you shouldn't blame the game for that because it's more than just the technical mistakes that SWERY obviously didn't account for when he wanted to make it.
>>
If it doesn't click with you right away, you probably won't ever like it.
>>
>>321874832
>i don't care bro lol
>replies

nice
>>
File: SWERY after HRT.jpg (949 KB, 1280x1769) Image search: [Google]
SWERY after HRT.jpg
949 KB, 1280x1769
>>321871185
Do you like the atmosphere? Do you understand why the atmosphere is good and why is it good in spite of gameplay? Therein lies your answer.

Anyway, SWERY is a shit video game designer and his career died for a reason. Have a neat video, everyone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD25QKh6mGA&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>321875023
>It's a feature
>>
>>321875135
Quit replying to him dude
>>
>>321875292
I didn't say that either. Stop putting words in my mouth.
>>
>>321875278
I liked D4 though...
>>
>>321876686
Well obviously you are an insane and shitty person if you actually enjoy a game. Who said you are supposed to do that?
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.