[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't Smart Phones have great games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: 1445132260797.jpg (48 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1445132260797.jpg
48 KB, 960x960
I don't mean to ask this to be glib or anything, but it is a serious point. Smart phones are so ubiquitous around the world, have thousands if not millions of developers, and yet there has not yet been a great game developed for the platform. Even taking into account the limits of touch input, the devices seem to be begging for RPG's, strategy, and sim games. And yet, there isn't a single great entity in any.

I know the market is flooded, the price points are low, and piracy hurts the market, but even PC has better free games than Android or IOS. So why hasn't a single developed out of the thousands made a killer app?
>>
Because the people playing mobile games don't want to have to think. They just want to tap buttons and watch nice things happen so they can feel like they're accomplishing something.
>>
because mobile games are for people looking for a quick distraction or a compulsive addiction
people who actually want to play games have a console or a pc
>>
Netmarble makes great games hampered by a paywall because people are stupid.

Meanwhile, Gamevil with the first few sports games had balanced and fair gameplay, rather than IF YOU DON'T WANT TO GET SICK, YOU BETTER PAY HALF THE FREE CASH WE'VE GAVE.
>>
>>321863227

Alright, but the counter point to that would be that any of the major Handhelds (Game Gear, Gameboy series, DS series, PSP, Vita) all had at least one great game for them, if not several.
>>
Exploitative business models (that pretty much make the game bad by default) have thus far proven to be more profitable.

There's no established enthusiast audience (for example, hex and counter wargames and such like would work great on a touchscreen, but it's a niche market and you already reach ~100% of the potential audience with PC version while lack of established audience would make it maybe 10%) so virtually every commercial game aims for mainstream appeal, and as such they're unable to fully appeal to anyone's given tastes and could be thought to be bad by default.

Some types of games "work" on touchscreen but you're not going to go through two battery charges to play through a strategy game campaign while you are home and you could use a computer, and on the move you wouldn't play such a thing. Most games aim to be a quick distraction, which I think makes them bad by default. Now, there's some sense in having a mobile version of a serious game regardless (for example, PBEM wargame matches can last months and in that kind of scenario being able to play your turns on the move would be a great boon, but only a part of this niche audience would want to take advantage of this, and most of them wouldn't purchase the game for a second time).
>>
I dunno, there's Infinity Blade. That's a pretty impressive experience.
>>
>>321863987
they're mobile systems designed specifically for games, people buy them to play games
others are for communication with games as an afterthought
>>
>>321863105
there are a few, but theyre all ports
>>
>>321864402

I know, but I'm really looking for something beyond ports.

>>321864274

But Smartphones are really more like mobile computers at this point. And for the good games that the 3DS and Vita do well, there is a huge section of gaming genres that they don't really touch, and development for those platforms are a much more difficult process.

>>321864005

I get that enthusiasts for games that would be good on a touch screen usually want a long and dedicated session, but what about the utility of being able to take your experience wherever you go?
>>
>>321864650
people buy handheld gaming devices to play games
people who are gaming enthusiasts buy consoles or pcs
people who buy tablets and iphones buy them to communicate and use the internet, they don't care about games and play them as a distraction
it really isn't that hard to understand
>>
>>321863105
Have you checked out hitman or tombraider go? I would suggest both theyre pretty fun
>>
>>321864946

My problem with your theory is it suggests that there isn't a subsection of gamers that both enjoy playing games and either don't have handheld devices, or aren't served in the genres they are interested in by either of the handheld devices out there.
>>
>>321864650
Like other people have said it has to do with the way we see mobile games.
People who people on handhelds are getting comfy in the sofa and play the game for a longer stretch of time.
Most people don't see smartphones in that way, mobile games are seen as a thing you do when you have 5 or 10 minutes of free time.
Sure there's probably an audience for handheld-like games on mobile, but it's hard to reach them (split up between iOS and android, smaller games get drowned out in the most popular lists, mental threshold of paying handheld prices for a mobile game, etc.). There's also the technical factor of storage space, most Iphone owners have the smallest storage option and are struggling to store everything, so asking them to download a 1-2Gb game is quite alot. (Handhelds don't have this problem due to their cartridges)

It's also a vicious circle, devs see no audience for handheld-like games on the mobile market, thus don't make games like that.
But because there are no handheld-like games on mobile, no audience for them is created.

I'm kinda hoping that games >>321865343 like these are going to establish a 'premium' mobile gaming market
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.