[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I still don't understand /v/'s hatred for this game.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13
File: Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg (34 KB, 238x293) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_4_cover_art.jpg
34 KB, 238x293
I still don't understand /v/'s hatred for this game.
I haven't played it yet, but after watching a ton of reviews and videos, this game looks on fleek. Do you all just hate it because of the usual expectations for a Fallout game or is there something I'm missing?
>>
File: 1428576167456.jpg (41 KB, 380x358) Image search: [Google]
1428576167456.jpg
41 KB, 380x358
>>321854508
>I haven't played it yet
>>
First, /v/ is not a single person.
Second, the usual expectations of a Fallout game are a big part of it, this game throws a lot of elements that were meaningful even in Fallout 3 into the trash.
It is, however, a very competent open-world shooter. Only took Bethesda 6 games to make combat in the Gamebryo engine feel rewarding.
>>
File: stop reading.jpg (62 KB, 250x272) Image search: [Google]
stop reading.jpg
62 KB, 250x272
>>321854508
>I haven't played it yet
>>
>>321854508
A lot of it is just bandwagon hatred, mostly by newfags fresh off the Reddit boat trying to fit in (you can tell by how hard they try). Not like this community's opinion matters: this is the same community that thinks Neptunia games are good.
>>
File: 1443141728337.jpg (166 KB, 531x900) Image search: [Google]
1443141728337.jpg
166 KB, 531x900
>>321854508
>this game looks on fleek
>>
>>321854793
Melee is still retarded as fuck though
>>
>>321854508
The game is fun but the writing is bad. They shoehorned a lot of things in to make the story work
>>
>>321854508
>I haven't played it yet

Lel

Also it's a bad RPG and the game has a bad story. Far Cry 4 is better in almost every single way even though it's developed by Ubishit.
>>
Terrible if you play it seeking a RPG.
>>
>>321854508
They sacrificed tons of RPG elements to tell a story.

Which would be alright if the story was good but the story is a poorly-implemented pile of shit that doesn't mesh with the game at-fucking-all. I'm not sure why they seem to think a heart-wrenching story about family values fits the Fallout universe, what with Fallout 4's story being curiously similar to Fallout 3's, but it really doesn't fit this game. About two minutes after mourning over your spouse and removing the wedding ring from their frozen corpse you're quipping about coming back for a neat-looking gun in a weapon case like you're Han Solo. The quipping fits the Fallout universe perfectly. You expect that kind of humor. But the part that has to do with the story doesn't fit at fucking all. The "main" parts of the game and the gameplay in general has so little to do with this storyline about your spouse and child that I honestly forgot about it at some parts. Remove the beginning of the game with your spouse, change a few quests and some dialogue with Shaun and it literally would make no difference. You wouldn't have to change anything else.

So, they removed tons of RPG elements to put in a story that is so poorly-implemented that with a short checklist of changes you could completely remove it from the game.

Sounds like a waste of time and effort to me.
>>
>>321855767
>Sounds like a waste of time and effort to me.
This could pretty much describe the game in a nutshell.
Fallout 4 is clearly a game with an absurd amount of effort put into it, but the effort went into very wrong places.
Them wasting time and resources recording over who knows how many player names and giving the main character voice acting are two prime examples of that. An unending sinkhole of resources, that don't contribute anything meaningful to the game and instead forced them to strip down other, more important parts of the experience.
>>
File: dapper don.jpg (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
dapper don.jpg
68 KB, 300x300
>>321854508
>on fleek
>>
>>321854793
>/v/ is not a single person
lel
>>
>>321857212
Shut up, me.
>>
I wanted an RPG, not a shooter
>>
>>321856124
>Game is bad! Features are bad! Why does that robot say my name IT'S BAD!
Go play your 15 year old dos game you retard
>>
>>321854508
Fallout 4 is not an RPG
>>
>>321854508
Sank 130 hours. Fun as a shooter, not so much as an rpg. Gets repetitive over time. Did not bother finishing the main quest because spoilers. Average game.
>>
Stripped down RPG that got boring fast. Not to say it wasn't fun at times but after 40 hours I've seen all the gameplay has to offer.
Exploration aspect is excellent but most have no reason being there except to collect caps and pipe weapons at the end
>>
File: 128497659864.jpg (38 KB, 367x315) Image search: [Google]
128497659864.jpg
38 KB, 367x315
>>321857472
>strawmanning
>all features are the same.
You absolute idiot.

Making the lockpicking minigame into its own fully-fledged moba game would be one hell of a feature, but it would have a negligible impact on the rest of the game. And I guarantee you it'd drain resources that would've been used to make other areas of the gameplay more enjoyable.

Do you think the dialogue system has been dumbed beyond all recognition simply because they had no available writers? No, you moron, it is a sympton of the fact that you need to account for voice acting, the fact that every written line has two accompanying pieces of dialogue, one female and one male, tied to it.

Time and resources that could be invested in making a better roleplaying game were instead invested in making sure a character you can barely connect with had a voice that is probably not the one you wished he would have in the first place.

Hopefully you can understand facts.
>>
>>321858158
>you need to account for voice acting
No fucking shit gaylord
But you simply cannot have a high budget game in 2015 without having voice acting in it

That's absurd and you know it

I will give you that the MC shouldn't have a voice, that's fine but the reason why dialog is limited is because of how games have advanced

Fallout 1 and 2 for example, can have 500 pages of fucking dialog, for one simple reason

You can always just go back and edit text, it's easy
But with voice actors?
Nigga if you mess up a recording once or a line that doesn't fit the lore you have to call the fucking voice actor just for that

It's a trade off

Also
>Time and resources that could be invested in making a better roleplaying game
Oh so you were on the dev time?
No?
So surely you have facts that support you notion that people who write the game and record voices were also people in charge of gameplay?
No?
Kill yourself
>>
>>321858859
The fact that you're trying to justify putting a voice actor into this game for the character you play- Which is supposed to be an RPG- Role Play Game- Is just baffling.

I'd take a silent protagonist, and choices to do what I want any day.

You might as well just give us a fucking end goal, a character name and everything- A premade character all together to go along with.

That's just stupid.
>>
File: 1417756084230.png (95 KB, 265x449) Image search: [Google]
1417756084230.png
95 KB, 265x449
>>321858859
>But you simply cannot have a high budget game in 2015 without having voice acting in it
>Wake up sheeple! It's >current year
I do remember the last two Fallout games being critically acclaimed despite having no voice acting. I do distinctively remember an entire company [Nintendo] whose flagship franchises STILL don't have voice acting. All of this is retroactively justification to explain the way things ARE, not a justification of why they SHOULD BE.

>>321858859
>So surely you have facts that support you notion that people who write the game and record voices were also people in charge of gameplay?
I also do believe that you will NOT contest the very simple notion that, while the voice recording team and the gameplay team were not composed of the same members, they do draw from the same source of funding and dev time that decides how much the development team is allowed to work in the game. And last I checked, people who worked in voice acting didn't do it freely
Fool.
>>
>>321859265
Are you trying to be retarded?
Are you blind?
>I will give you that the MC shouldn't have a voice
Idiot

But the rp-ing thing never transitions into video games well
In DnD, it works because there are no limitations
In video games, there always are

I never feel like I'm roleplaying in a damn video game, since by nature they are limited
The whole
>Nice guy
>Dick
>Neutral
dialog options never clicked with me, call it r-ping, fine, but it's too limiting for me to care for it, in old or new fallout games
>>
>>321859352

Not to mention the Eldar Scrolls games. And other games in kind that have a silent protagonist.

Dark Souls, for instance.

But you, I agree with. Instead of wasting time on a voice- Should have let the modder's do it themselves if they wanted it- And put that time and effort into something else.

Like the fucking weapon system. I'm sick of picking up pipe pistols.
>>
File: 0cNICRo.jpg (80 KB, 459x304) Image search: [Google]
0cNICRo.jpg
80 KB, 459x304
>>321859525

Picked the wrong post there, budy.
>>
>>321859352
You're talking out of your ass about costs of game development, so kindly go fuck yourself with your little theories

Let's say they didn't get voice acting at all
That literally has nothing to do with other parts of the game, it wouldn't have made the game any better

The last 2 fallout games had voice acting for everyone except for the MC
I literally say in my comment that I also feel the MC shouldn't have a voice, so I'm guessing you're typing these shitty replies without even reading what I'm saying

Good for you

I also couldn't care less about voice acting, what I was saying was, you CANNOT have such a big budget game have NO voice acting in it
You can't
I'm sorry, but nobody would be okay with that, the devs or most people who would buy it
That's just reality sport
>>
>>321859669
Sorry I called you mean stuff anon :o

>>321859563
Dude, how does
>not having a voice for the protag
lead into having a better weapon system?
How?
>>
File: 8wtbsIB.jpg (53 KB, 640x582) Image search: [Google]
8wtbsIB.jpg
53 KB, 640x582
>>321859810

....Riiiiiight.
>>
>>321854508
Well, I don't hate it. I don't love it either. It just just doesn't meet expectations for such a long wait. The changes that they made are pretty much just that, changes, not improvements. The graphics are not next gen material.

Overall, it is a decent game. I just don't see anything about it worth getting excited for. In fact, it is the only fallout game since the first one that I didn't binge on. I play it for about an hour or two before getting bored and playing something else. I still play it but not much.
>>
>>321859967

Well for starters, budget.

no voice actors, means less people to pay. Less people to pay, means funding goes into something else-

Unless of course you're talking about greedy people who'll just pocket the difference anyway.

Also, laziness. No wonder people are pissed about this game.
>>
>>321860000
What an insightful post
Checking those 0000 btw
>>
>>321859810
>what I was saying was, you CANNOT have such a big budget game have NO voice acting in it
Which is irrelevant to the discussion because I don't think anyone is saying the entire cast should be mute, we're talking about protagonists here

>You're talking out of your ass about costs of game development, so kindly go fuck yourself with your little theories
I made a very simple statement. The entire development process draws from a single source of funding.

>Let's say they didn't get voice acting at all
>That literally has nothing to do with other parts of the game, it wouldn't have made the game any better

That's rich, considering, if nothing else, what's said here.

>Fallout 1 and 2 for example, can have 500 pages of fucking dialog, for one simple reason
>You can always just go back and edit text, it's easy
>But with voice actors?
>Nigga if you mess up a recording once or a line that doesn't fit the lore you have to call the fucking voice actor just for that
>>
>>321860141

What an equally insightful post-

Quad's, check 'em.
>>
File: %ED%98%9C%EB%A6%AC11.jpg (106 KB, 746x474) Image search: [Google]
%ED%98%9C%EB%A6%AC11.jpg
106 KB, 746x474
>>321854508
>i havent played it yet
>on fleek
>>
File: 1446639215003.jpg (553 KB, 2072x1126) Image search: [Google]
1446639215003.jpg
553 KB, 2072x1126
>>321854508
It's a watered-down Fallout game and RPG, and dumbed-down beyond recognition.
>>
>>321860149
Whether it draws from one source of funding or not, voice acting doesn't relate to game design in any way

The thing about "if they didn't do THIS, THIS would be better" is bullshit
>>
>>321854508
I am pretty goddamn sure anyone who thinks this is a GOOD game has horrible taste in vidya
borderlands 2 has better gunplay, and if you really want settlement crafting, stick to minecraft or any other EA survival crafting games
even my normie friends hate this meme game.
I wouldn't recommend this sick filth to anyone
>>
File: 1451258781901.png (192 KB, 501x445) Image search: [Google]
1451258781901.png
192 KB, 501x445
>>321854508
Yes
Yes (sarcastic)
No (yes)
More Info (yes)
>>
>>321860493
Borderlands 2 has shit gameplay tho, fuck you on about
And wait, why do people complain about gunplay when gunplay in both fallout 3 and new vegas was the worst thing ever and barely worked most the time?

It's so much better in 4 but it sucks?
Fucking christ the nitpicking
>>
>>321860480
The teams don't intersect, but it has an undeniable effect on everything else, either directly, such as affecting dialogue [and consequently quest] complexity, or indirectly, such as the simple matter of "we ran out of money so we can't polish the experience anymore".

Does taking out voice acting makes the game better automatically if you don't change anything else? No, except perhaps regarding immersion. Does it give you more freedom to work on the dialogue and more money to pay designers with? Yes.

Hell, why is it such an outrageous notion for you to believe that Fallout 4's development might have suffered from feature creep and sacrificed core parts of the game that didn't have to just because >it's 2015?

>>321860493
>borderlands 2 has better gunplay
As someone who put 460 hours into that game, I can assure you there's no way in hell that's the case.
>>
>>321854508
aged like milk
if you wanna play Fallout play 1 or 2
>>
Look OP I played it. I loved it. 250 locations discovered before I finished the main quest. Went with brother hood of steel and I hated it. Would have loved to have seen another side of the ending. After I finished the story I found all the bobble heads and haven't touched it in nearly a month. Gonna do another play through but waiting a while. Still have a bitter taste on my mouth.

>I found another settlement that needs our help.

I want to punch Preston in fucking mouth everytime he says this shit.
>>
>>321854508
>I still don't understand /v/'s hatred for this game.
>I haven't played it yet
>this game looks on fleek

This is some pretty strong b8, Anon. Well done.
>>
File: average.png (83 KB, 628x1664) Image search: [Google]
average.png
83 KB, 628x1664
>>321854508
>>
>>321854508
/v/ is inherently contrarian. Combine that with all the Obsidian-fags who are still angry over the meta critic bonus fiasco and you have a recipe for a shitstorm. They reacted to Skyrim the exact same way.
>>
>>321865195
Even the mainstream audiences aren't impressed by Fallout 4
>>
Pros:
>Crafting, Perks and Gunplay bounce off of each other very well

Cons:
>variety
>everything else
>>
>>321854508
>on fleek

Hi, Reddit!
>>
Most the hate was from Witcher 3 shills
>>
>>321854508
>on fleek
>>
>itt: one guy doesn't know how budgets work
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.