[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is the new Doom going to be any good? Any chance it actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11
File: doom.jpg (79 KB, 600x385) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
79 KB, 600x385
So is the new Doom going to be any good? Any chance it actually comes out in spring? Any leaked alpha videos would be neat since it seems they removed every trace of them.
>>
I dunno, from what I've seen it looks too slow and those cinematic executions look dumb
>>
Oh, but it looks like there is a lot of customizing in multiplayer though, so maybe people can fix some problems there
>>
>>321842471
>Any chance it actually comes out in spring?
Should be, they're still sticking to that date so it probably hasn't been pushed back.

>So is the new Doom going to be any good?
I'm cautiously optimistic about it, I like what's been shown and I trust what the devs have said about how they're handling things. They have a clear vision for what they want it to be and I'm honestly glad they're changing some things up.
>>
I played some of the Alpha, and by some, I mean a single round. It was so fucking boring, it was slow awkward and ugly looking. It'll probably be a solid 7/10 for the campaign and a 6/10 for the multiplayer.
>>
File: doom4 1.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom4 1.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>321842471
ive got a couple of shitty alpha clips from ps4 version
multiplayer kinda shit like a mix between halo and quake 3 minus the bunnyhopping
maybe the singeplayer will be ok but there is no fucking way i'd buy it at full price
>>
Alpha webms here

arch.b4k.co/v/thread/319861993/
>>
it's slow and they are clearly focusing on multiplayer, game looks boring as fuck

doom fans won't like it and casual FPS dudebros will play it for a few days then go back to cod/BF4 or whatever new FPS comes out next
>>
>>321842471

dont worry bethesda literally turned the doom franchise into halo:edgelord edition

another pc franchise bites the dust
>>
File: doom4 2.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom4 2.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>321843378
there are loadouts in multiplayer too as well as offhand grenades and a teleporter similar to the translocator from UT
>>
>>321842471
they said it would be fast

why the fuck do i have to pause and stand still every kill to do some shitty animation?
why cant i just punch shit while moving?
>>
>>321843378
if i showed you this 3 years ago and told you it was doom would you believe me?

It looks like generic sci fi brown bullshit.
>>
File: doom4 3.webm (2 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom4 3.webm
2 MB, 854x480
>>
File: doom4 4.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom4 4.webm
1 MB, 854x480
>>
why can't bethesda do anything right? they are fucking everything up
>>
>>321843421
>and they are clearly focusing on multiplayer
This is the second time I've seen someone mention this (first was from a random Youtube video, of all things) and it couldn't be more wrong but I see where people are getting that from. They're shooting themselves in the foot right now by doing all these Alphas without releasing even a snippet of new SP images/footage and it's making people think they're focusing on MP. I know they don't want to spoil too much from the campaign but they need to release some more SP material soon otherwise more people will start to think the same way.

Multiplayer isn't even being handled by the main team - id is doing the SP while Certain Affinity is doing the MP. So the bulk of the work is being done on SP but they're clutching it so tightly that nothing is being shown. It's distorting the look of the game bigtime.
>>
>>321843378
>that fuckin ring around the rosie shit
my sides exploded
>>
>>321843567
>fast gameplay
>looks like a recording of halo at 1.5x playback speed

holy shit did they miss the fucking point.

just play dirty bomb tbqh
>>
File: doom4 5.webm (1 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
doom4 5.webm
1 MB, 854x480
>>
>Not giving it to machinegames

Why?
>>
Looks promising so far.

The executions weren't necessary, but at least everything is still fast-paced.
>>
>>321844232
>but at least everything is still fast-paced.

What games do you play that this looks "fast paced" to you?

Looks slow as fuck and should be way faster for a doom game.
>>
>>321844178
They're busy with TNO sequel.
>>
>>321843378
>>321843567
>>321843894
>>321844006
>>321844174

I know it's alpha footage, but holy fuck this game looks soulless.
>>
>>321844232
>but at least everything is still fast-paced
Fast compared to Halo, maybe. It's still really slow for a game with the doom name.
>>
I think doom 3 had more in common with doom than this new one does. and I hate doom and have never played any doom in the series except for the freeware from back in the day.
so you would think I'd like this but not really. it looks like everything else out there.
>>
>>321844336
I think it's because 'fast' doesn't really work on consoles and this is from the PS4 version. On PC those firefights would have lasted a fraction of the time just because aiming on a controller is garbage. Look how the player in the webm is trying to get the shots off by aiming at a point, running across the other player then timing the shot as the cross hair passes over his opponent leading to this ridiculousness as opposed to just aiming at the enemies face and shooting him. There's a reason characters in CoD/Halo run around like they're in mud soup.
>>
>>321843070

shut the fuck up bait fag
PCmaster race is not delusional like console faggots

PC is not going to ever pretend anyone will fix this shit
>>
The original Doom was made with a keyboard in mind, and although later official ports let you use a mouse, no one back then really officialized WASD. It's the community and source ports that turned Doom into the fast-paced death game everyone knows it as, and that kind of thing happens after 20 years witha community as big as Doom's. Doom 3 tried to do its own thing because lets be honest, Doom was not really a 'firm idea' and Id changed up Quake a lot too with each game, but at least Doom 3 was honest about itself.

This doesn't necessarily seem bad but it was designed for consoles first and foremost and yet pretends it's the fast-paced game we've been waiting for while doing all sorts of stupid shit that's really not necessary. It's like it's a caricature of Doom mixed with Brutal Doom, rather than a sequel or successor.
>>
>>321844015
Considering they're just the publishers I doubt Bethesda has much say in how it's made. That'd be like Activision controlling how Doom 3 was made, wouldn't it?

>>321843716
>why the fuck do i have to pause and stand still every kill to do some shitty animation?
You don't have to since they're optional, but it'd be nice if they don't show up often in harder difficulties or if there's a mode to remove them.

>why cant i just punch shit while moving?
It's strange they haven't shown fists as a weapon option yet. Surely it has to be an option if the player runs out of ammo.

>>321844591
If you get a chance, try playing it. There's a third Alpha planned and they might let some extra people in like they did last time.
>>
>>321843807
Doom invented generic sci-fi brown. That's why this game looks so shit. It is Doom, but Doom's time has past. What impressed people in the 90s doesn't mean anything to people today.
>>
>>321845251
your wrong there doom and even wolfenstein were made with keyboard+mouse in mind (but also keyboard only and joystick etc)
that's how romero played when he was testing the levels etc
>>321845503
you're an idiot
>>
>>321845637
So I may be wrong about the KB+M set up, that's always been something I see conflicting info on. But the point remains that the original Doom was not a lighting fast hold-down-the-run-key affair for most people back then. Play a sourceport with mouselook and WASD today with Always Run on and you basically turn the entire vanilla game besides certain portions into a goddamn joke which is why speedrun sites put restrictions on it all or outright bar certain sourceports. Considering Doom 3 also tried to be slower-paced for most of the game until the Hell stuff with infinite stamina and the game getting more vicious towards the end, the series inherently isn't fast-paced, so Doom 4 misguidedly trying to appeal to the hardcore fans by saying it's fast-paced when it's really not compared to most other games out there is a farce.
>>
File: duuuuude.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
duuuuude.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>321844105
>>321843183
>>321845406

spot the obvious shill just kidding i did it for you
>>
>>321845637
IIRC in Masters of Doom Romero hadn't thought of using KB+M as we know it until Doom. I can't remember myself if Wolfenstein supported mouselook.
>>
File: doomh.jpg (60 KB, 620x284) Image search: [Google]
doomh.jpg
60 KB, 620x284
What defined doom for me was the spooky demonic imagery and atmosphere, if this game is brown tinted spess station corridors and brown canyons i won't be bothering with it
>>
>>321845637
Running around as DudeMcBadAss mindlessly shooting things with blood flying everywhere while rock music plays isn't what audiences want anymore. That's why Rage failed and why Doom would fail if released today.
>>
>>321844801
>I think doom 3 had more in common with doom than this new one does.
What? There's no way-
>and I hate doom and have never played any doom in the series except for the freeware from back in the day.
oh that explains it. If there's one thing DOOM 2016 has over Doom 3 it's following closer to aspects of the first two games:

>Levels feature wide open spaces for the player to move around in
>Many of the demons are more reminiscent of their Doom 1/2 designs: Pinky, Baron (which wasn't even in Doom 3), Caco, Revenant
>No reloading
>No fall damage
>Devs have a "Don't take ourselves too seriously" approach, purposely avoiding the seriousness of Doom 3 and opting for the "outlandish" approach of Doom 1/2
>Devs say the primary focus of the story is "blowing a ton of shit up and killing a ton of demons"
>>
>>321846205
Rage featured neither rock music nor much in the way of shooting, and Doom on Nightmare or even Ultra-Violence was hardly mindless. Rage turned the difficulty so far down you had to really try to die even on Nightmare difficulty.
>>
>>321846140
But that's what the original game was. Grays and tans/browns supplimented by whites, reds and blues with the occasional green. Some areas were technicolor, but the majority of both classic Doom games were very subdued in coloration. Plus Doom 64 / PSX Doom is the real spooky experience, and that's just a port with altered/replaced/removed maps, different sounds and music, and colored lighting.
>>
>>321844591

Yea but the doom, doom 2 deathwatch is pretty much the same..

Kinda wanna see PC gameplay.

other than that I would recommend people to play unreal deathwatch instead of doom 4 deathwatch as of now.
>>
>>321846021
depends how you play doom 3...
and the difficulty isn't hard but your gonna have a tough time with ep 4 or final doom even doom 2 probably
most everyone uses cndoom or dosbox...
>>321846108
wolfenstein has it there is actually no speed cap at all
>>321846205
>DudeMcBadAss mindlessly shooting things with blood flying everywhere while rock music plays
sounds good to me
>That's why Rage failed and why Doom would fail
your wrong
>>
>>321846902
>depends how you play doom 3...
Most try to rush Doom 3 only to find that the game's so Half-Life-y that you really can't.
>most everyone uses cndoom or dosbox...
Anyone with any tech savviness in this day and age plop their iwad into either Chocolate Doom or PrBoom for vanilla-style shit, or G/ZDoom and Zandronum for modern stuff and most mods or multiplayer (or both).
>>
>>321847207
for speedrun authenticity chocolate doom also keeps intact a bunch of glitches it also has the advantage of not being dosbox
>>
>>321846435
All that yet it somehow looks like it plays worse than Doom 3.
>>
>>321843378
>PSX Doom
>>321843402
>>321843894
>>321844006
>>321844174

Thanks for the videos.

Graphically, I think it looks good. Could get rid of the yellow filter, I guess.

Multiplayer looks... okay. Without the high speed of the original games it just looks like a low quality Halo clone.

I bet that the single player ends up being decent. I miss those old arena shooters so I'll probably be picking it up.
>>
Why does everyone act like Doom was super fast? Quake was fast. Doom was slow paced in comparison, much like this shitty reboot looks.
>>
Quake 3 is slow as fuck if no one is strafe jumping around, it looks similar to what has been shown in the Doom 4 mp alpha. If Doom 4 has strafe jumping or the ability to mod it in then I think the MP will have a fair chance of being decent.
>>
>>321847990
From what I've played, it's very awkward right now so I hope they fix it. Maybe I just haven't gotten the jumping down, but coming to a grinding halt on the double jump is all kinds of fucked.
>>
>>321848237
Sounds like they did the most basic thing they could: absolute movement, no momentum or physics. Which means the entire game is based around double jumps and ledge climbing with an awkward jogging-sprint of a default movement speed. Releasing movement in the air means instant loss of momentum.

It's as arcade-like as you can get, but it's also basically nothing like Quake's multiplayer legacy nor even the original Doom games.
>>
>people comparing this game's speed to Halo
Now, I think the game look terrible too, but it's far faster than Halo. Those games feel like you're constantly running in mud.
>>
>>321847817
Carmack has stated that Doomguy runs at an equivalent of 90mph, so it was sort of super fast.

>>321848237
If you are playing on a console, is it 60fps? Just curious.
>>
Why do people keep posting footage of Halo 6 in these threads?
>>
>>321848557
I don't give a fuck what bullshit he said, I played the games. It isn't nearly as fast as people make it out to be.
>>
>>321847817
>Why does everyone act like Doom was super fast?
This desu. I don't remember doom being very fast. When i think of fast i think UT or quake.

I'm not defending it though. Looks like a shitty halo clone.
>>
>>321846030
>shill
Nope just someone who's played the Alpha and genuinely liking some of what they've shown of the SP so far. Though if you want to hear what I don't like about what they've shown all you had to do was ask.

I don't like that glory kills have been given some degree of focus, that being players are rewarded with more health/ammo for doing them. They're cute and fun to pull off for a while but they're probably going to get old fairly fast. I don't currently have an issue with their length, but Duffy said they try to keep them around 700 milliseconds and many of the ones in the E3 demos exceed that. Unless they've changed them since then then their length may be an issue in the long run.

Glory kills are optional so if ammo, armor, and health (if health is even on the map - none shown in the E3 demos except a possible Soulsphere) are distributed well then playstyles won't have to adjust to utilize them if they don't want.

I don't think I'll like the way the Chainsaw is being handled. If the ammo count and Super Chainsaw weapon mod is meant to indicate it's always a one-hit kill with the different modes being for smaller and bigger enemies then I'd probably prefer the Doom 3 version. Won't know until I try it though.

I don't like that there's currently no indication of a fist weapon, not even in the weapon wheel. That makes no sense whatsoever so hopefully it's there in the final release.

>>321847641
>yellow filter
That's actually just the lighting. It's hard to tell since all they've shown so far is yellow Hell and a foundry but some areas use cool blues, greens, etc.
>>
>>321846778

>D64 is just a port

>>>/out/
>>
>>321847817
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB4mO9CJ7Ek
Granted this is a speedrun but the movement speed is still pretty damn fast.
Compare to Quake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtZxDMa-5eM
You only really approach Doomguy's speed by bunnyhopping and you only go faster by fucking around with explosives.
>>
File: 796118-2396557638_3a968e78bc_o.jpg (27 KB, 538x640) Image search: [Google]
796118-2396557638_3a968e78bc_o.jpg
27 KB, 538x640
My biggest problems so far are the scripted kills, the yellow filter and general lack of color, and the dorky new Cyberdemon. It should look like pic related or hell I'd even take Doom 3's version. The new one looks like some dopey Warcraft boss.
>>
>>321848895
Okay I empty-headedly put it next to PSX Doom in that summation without thinking, but let's be honest, it's a glorified mappack with altered statistics on weapons and enemies, and a new weapon that's boosted by three macguffins. It's still great in its own right but nothing exactly mindblowing - especially on the original N64 where it's a bit too dark for its own good.
>>
>>321849015
Huh, I stand corrected. I guess I don't remember the games as well as I thought.
>>
>>321849151
It's the best Doom game for single player IMO. God-tier atmosphere and excellent levels.
>>
I think the new doom looks very good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSzYliSASKc
>>
>>321842471
>So is the new Doom going to be any good?

why would you ask that? And no, it's an abomination.
>>
>>321849089
Completely agree about the Cyberdemon.
>Those horns
>No more goat legs, no more hooves
>Body is barely cybernetic, they tried to bring back the one cybernetic leg but it really only shows on the toes

It's like they did the bare minimum required to fit the title.
>>
I played the alpha for a weekend, it was "okayish" but what it felt like was a cheap f2p shooter and any minute now it's gonna kick me out of the noobie pool and beg money for the cool stuff while I get my ass pounded by guys with ebin armors and laserweapons I have no way of obtaining. It just feels cheap and lame. And chinese.
>>
No.

But maybe, with enough mods.
>>
>>321847641
>Multiplayer looks... okay

The fucks wrong with you?
>>
>>321843567
Is that fucking Halo 5?
>>
>>321849653
no modding tools, only snapmap

I'm surprised there's only been one mod for Classic Doom that was kind of bleh, and one guy mapping out the E3 video on Doom 3 over at Doomworld, not much else.
>>
>>321849223
Maybe you never used the Sprint button as a kid? That'd explain why you remember it being slower. I did that with Super Metroid.
>>321849416
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RElfXigIe4c
I'm always so impressed by the shit they can do to this old game.
>>
File: 1447036012058.jpg (42 KB, 647x417) Image search: [Google]
1447036012058.jpg
42 KB, 647x417
Executions seem like they would get old real quick. Trying way too hard to be Brutal Doom.
>>
>>321849416

Nah brah what doom needs are max 2 weapons at a time and regenerating health
>>
File: 1450219249627.jpg (179 KB, 500x716) Image search: [Google]
1450219249627.jpg
179 KB, 500x716
>>321849835
I wanna play this now
>>
>>321849835
kek edgy simulator 2000.
Well but it looks good.
>>
>>321850428
You must be fun on parties. Uh what parties amiright lonely~kun?
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.