[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bravely Default
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6
File: file.png (301 KB, 500x457) Image search: [Google]
file.png
301 KB, 500x457
I always hear mixed reviews on this game and that the second half of the game is just a repeat of the first half. Is worth playing though?
>>
Leave your thread before the major spoiler is revealed.
I thought it was a great game, but the repetition does get a bit stale, yes.
>>
Yes. It's worth it if you like classic turn based rpgs
>>
Not really no. The characters are all lame and the gameplay had some nice ideas but flawed in execution.
>>321832104
You mean lying airy?
>>
>>321831975

It is an amazing game IF you enjoy great turn-based combat enough that you don't mind dozens of hours of rehashed (but slightly different) battles and almost no plot progression. I'm talking a gauntlet of literally hundreds of boss fights.

If you don't care that much for the combat it's still a great game for the first 40 or so hours.
>>
>>321831975
Do you like Final Fantasy V? If so, yes. The game does have a time loop but I think it's overstated, you have to go through the same events at least a couple times and you need to go through them four times to get the true ending, but it's a lot quicker after the first time and it has some fun stuff in it the bosses start teaming up like a party after they see you kicking the shit out of all of them
>>
>>321831975
Yes, its worth playing through.

The repetition is not that bad.

You loop back to the beginning 4 times.

But every time you start with your airship and you can just go to activate the 4 crystals and go to the next loop. Which takes less than 30 minutes.

You have around 35 solid hours of gameplay the first time.

You have around 4 hours the second time since replaying the boss battles is worth it for the new dialog and you have some new events to unlock the final class.

The third time you get a key to unlock locked chests that you will see in dungeons that have the best gear. With a guide or remembering where they are you can get them in 30 mins + another 30 mins to awake the crystals.

Fourth time you just awake the crystals and move on. (bosses group here if you want to refight them, text doesnt change its not really a challenge at this point so its not worth it)

Fifth time you awake teh crystals and unlock the final dungeon.
Most complains come from completionists asspies that got fed from fighting every single boss every single loop.

If you just skip to the next loop like I said is not tedious at all.

The game itself has a lot of great qualities also, incredible backgrounds, superb soundtrack (best ive heard in a long time), great combat if you are not cheesing and charming characters (specially ringabel and edea).

If you do play it make sure you play it in the english dub since the best characters (ringabel and edea) english voice actors are hordes of magnitude better than their japanese counterparts
>>
>>321832369
>I'm talking a gauntlet of literally hundreds of boss fights.

You know you dont have to fight them, dont you?

You can just awake the crystals and skip to the next loop.
>>
>>321833232

Ringabel's Japanese voice is GOAT, you flying fairy
>>
>>321833459
I didnt say he was bad.

I just said that the english va was WAY better.
And he is.
>>
>>321833232
I found the enjoyment in refighting the Asterisk bosses; refighting the crystal guardians was shit though. The Chapter 8 battles are particularly fun, especially Eternian Central Command. Dat fucking fire battle against Ominus, the summoner bitch, Qada, and Yulyana is balls to the wall.
>>
>>321831975

First 50% of the game is pretty good. Middle 25% is pretty tedious, but you can just build around obliterating the unskippable bosses and blast through that if you want to, and it picks up again at the last 25% when the loop breaks down.

Plot holes you could drive an airship, through, though. Braev Lee might be the most incompetent good guy and worst communicator I've ever fucking met, and the game doesn't give you the true ending if you do the smart thing and take the initiative like it tells you to rather than biding your time to draw out the final boss.
>>
Pros:
>Great job system that lets you do a lot of fun stuff
>Pretty good turn-based combat system
>Some fairly challenging boss battles
>Great music
>Some cool characters
>Story has a couple of entertaining twists towards the end

Cons:
>Too easy to break with certain jobs
>Some tacked-on social game mechanics that feel unnecessary
>Story is mostly retarded and relies on the characters being dumb for the plot to work
>Some annoying-as-hell characters
>First half of the story feels disjointed, events don't flow well and all of the antagonists are fought in sidequests rather than the main plot for some reason
>Second half of the story repeats multiple times, though this is a bit overblown in my opinion
>To get the true ending you basically have to be retarded on purpose and the story justification for it is dumb

I had fun with it, but it's a very flawed game. From a pure gameplay standpoint it's pretty good though, especially if you like games like Final Fantasy V. However I would say for the most part the story is pretty bad, with only a few redeeming qualities.

Regarding the second half, it's kinda shit but people really exaggerate it in my opinion. The game basically loops up to four times from chapter 5-8 (and you need to do them all for the true end), but only 4 bosses are mandatory on each loop. If you don't feel like doing it you can just head straight to those bosses and be done with each loop in <30 minutes. There are also some really good optional battles in chapter 7 and 8.
>>
>>321831975
If you like JRPGs for the mechanics its amazing.

if you like them for the exploration and spectacle only you'll be let down.
>>
>>321833687
>refighting the crystal guardians was shit though.
I just beat them in one turn every single time by using spell fencers and exploting their weak element and dual weilding weapons.
>>
File: 1415263624314.jpg (170 KB, 707x1000) Image search: [Google]
1415263624314.jpg
170 KB, 707x1000
It has an absolutely god-tier OST.

It's worth playing just for that alone.
>>
>>321834353

Really? That seems like it'd take a while against Chaugmar.

Monks with Dark Arts basically slaughter any boss in a turn or two once you master both jobs, though. Although I always annihilated Gigas Lich with a full team of Spiritmasters healing it to death just because.
>>
>>321835019
>once you master both jobs
Or just use Abilink from a friend that beat the game and cheese it from the getgo
>>
>>321833459

all the japanese voices are better

why can't there be a no voice option?
>>
>>321833747
Bravery to defy. You show the courage to defy what the game is telling you to in Chapter 6 and ride it out till Chapter 8.

The game gets a bit too meta with all the "bravery to default" shit. And yes Braev Lee is the worst didn't do anything wrong in video game history.
>>
File: cutegengar.jpg (11 KB, 236x244) Image search: [Google]
cutegengar.jpg
11 KB, 236x244
>>321834271
I really like how you broke your review down into simple, informative chunks. You clearly overviewed what I wanted to know about this game.

Thanks for the information, and -- perhaps more importantly -- how you went about sharing it.
>>
>>321835019
>Chaugmar

Chaugmar is easy as pie.

You just default till he is vulnerable.

Then you brave x4 charge your weapon with lighting and attack x3. with your characters.

The next turn you brave x4 and attack x4 with your characters and he is dead.

If i remember correctly I used templar on tiz, dark knight on ringabel and samurai on edea, the three of them with spellfencer as a sublcass to give elements to the weapons.

tiz and edea with the dual weild passive, tiz with two swords and edea with two katanas.

Agnes was a white mage with dark mage sub, so she casted lightning if shw didnt have to heal or dispel in the case of gigas lich.
>>
>>321835324

I mean, he had a great start, but once he'd taken down the bad guys in his homeland...

Cultural annihilation that would have turned Florem into a barren wasteland populated by insane, murderous women on withdrawal from the highly toxic drugs his forces addicted them to, intervening in a civil war on the side of the massively outnumbered imperialist fuckheads and failing to prevent it from becoming a genocidal stalemate that ravaged the land, the completely unprovoked invasion of Caldisla, turning a blind eye to the rising of state-mandated slavery and a catastrophic water shortage brought on by the Merchantry's fuckery...how the hell did ANY of that help? And that's leaving out the genocide of the crystalists that had no idea what was going on or having no plan for how to fix the crystals so the world didn't collapse with or without Airy messing around.
>>
I don't suppose anyone has a link to the For the Sequel DLC as a .cia? No?
>>
>>321835842
It's not wonder the two most important members of the Council of Six decided to fuck off into isolation.
>>
>>321835864
For the Sequel was a re-release, not DLC.

It's also the version that was translated to English.
>>
File: WVW69ialXqw597XymC.png (3 KB, 320x120) Image search: [Google]
WVW69ialXqw597XymC.png
3 KB, 320x120
>>321831975
No, the game is boring as shit through and through. Combat is just as boring as any other RPG, you'll still wind up grinding, the only difference is you can auto to make it a little faster. If you like boring ass FF games you might enjoy it but I hated it and only managed to play through it because I told myself I may as well get my money's worth. I dunno what I was thinking, I hate games that are just scrolling through menus. Also there was so much fucking dialogue that was nothing ho-lee fuk I just started skipping text every time I could
>>
censored/10
>>
File: BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume.png (193 KB, 471x757) Image search: [Google]
BDFTS_Ringabel_Bonus_Costume.png
193 KB, 471x757
>>321836295

For the Sequel had DLC; I know it was a re-release, I imported it when all I had was Kickass Homebrew.

There were a shitton of costumes that were "bonuses" for buying shit like the OST, artbooks, and what have you. Take this Ringabel one, for example. In fact - most of the censored costumes in the English version were DLC to begin with. The only one that was available normally in the original game was the Bravo Bikini.
>>
>>321831975
story was corny as hell along with the characters.
>>
File: 1432938199186.jpg (137 KB, 600x668) Image search: [Google]
1432938199186.jpg
137 KB, 600x668
I liked it, but I lost patience with it at Chapter 7. I thought the repetition was ended when I finally got the final job class, but then it just restarted again and I was done.
>>
>>321838056
Why didnt you just awaken the crystals and skip to the end?

You know the boss battles are OPTIONAL, dont you?
Or maybe your autism was stronger than you and you cant finish a game without 100% it.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.