[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, this game and peoples' reactions to it have me confused...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8
File: header.jpg (19 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
19 KB, 460x215
So, this game and peoples' reactions to it have me confused...
To me it has solid gameplay mechanics, an interesting environment, and replayability.
Why do people gripe about this game so much?
I picked it up for free off of Xbox marketplace, so maybe that's what allows me to view it more objectively instead of viewing it as an investment (paying full retail price for it). Give me some reasons why this game is considered trashy by a lot of people.
>you probably can't
>>
File: Untitled.png (185 KB, 730x858) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
185 KB, 730x858
>>321823827
There are many small individual pieces of loot to pick up, and you have to stop moving and watch the same animation over and over to pick them up.

The game is a Thief game but there are few objectives where you must actually steal something. Stealing in general doesn't feel very satisfying because there's so much to steal, and most of it's trivial shit like utensils or ink wells. And of course, you have to watch that animation for every single piece of it.

Sound design was pathetically bad, especially compared to the original games, and it wasn't helped by bugs that would cause sound effects to play at volumes inappropriate for their distance from you (this is important in a stealth game). Where the original games had this nice intuitive system where you just listen for sounds and can reliably determine where something is from that, in this game you can upgrade your Thief vision to see representation of sounds through walls. It's silly as shit and the progression system as a whole feels unnecessary.

Loading screens up the ass, which of course guards cannot follow you through, so there is little risk associated with being caught. You can just run for a bit and then suddenly be free of pursuers for no good reason.
>>
>>321824841
A lot of problems one might have with this game are that it doesn't live up to the first two games. As I said, the levels are split up by many loading screens, but this wasn't the case in the ~17 year old original. As the picture points out, a fun tool called rope arrows were gimped for technical reasons and narrative intent (??), even though people were able to solve these problems 17 years ago with much more limited time, money, and technology.

The story itself doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This is a long read but it basically sums it all up. http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=22587

You say the world is interesting, but it cuts out all the well fleshed out factions and history established in the previous games and failed to replace them with anything as good. Furthermore the whole game felt un-stylish in its storytelling. Just compare this cutscene, and the music, to anything in Thief 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5mnWQi59g4

The controls in general are sort of strange. The annoying animations aren't limited to looting, things like jumping and opening doors and climbing are handled in a similar sort of way. It feels unnecessary and limiting when the previous games allowed you even more freedom of movement with simpler controls.

It didn't help that there were no tools for fan content. The modding community for the old games is alive and well, there's no way the developers could have actually expected this game to have continued popularity like those games without those tools.
>>
File: 1310913582489.jpg (7 KB, 170x213) Image search: [Google]
1310913582489.jpg
7 KB, 170x213
>>321824841
>>321826059

Summed it up far better than I ever could. Thanks bro.
>>
>>321823827
cock rings
>>
File: prophecy.jpg (151 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
prophecy.jpg
151 KB, 1024x768
>>321826059
And I'm saying this as a fan of the old games but it seems like the new Thief wasn't even popular with people who haven't played those. The glitches, loading screens, and general ugliness of the game are universally unappealing but there's probably something more to it I'm not seeing. Regardless, that says to me that the criticism isn't all from people who are blinded by nostalgia (I'm not nostalgic for the old games, I played them first in 2012 or 13).

I remember the game used to have a ridiculous EXP system that would reward you for headshots and shit, it made the game look like one of these joke images that were made before anyone had actually seen gameplay and people were immediately critical of it. So just a month or so before the game released, the developer pulled out the EXP system from the game. On one hand, it's nice of them to respond to feedback like that but on the other hand, what was the point of the EXP system in the first place if it's so trivial that it can be removed at the last moment before release and apparently not affect the rest of the game? It just gives me the impression there was no strong vision for this game during development, which is probably true considering how long and tumultuous development of it was.
>>
The game is so utterly shit it doesn't even deserve analysis
If you like it that's great. Your just a moron.
>>
Does anyone have that video with the first Thief e3 footage where it slows down and zooms in on the headshot +XP thing over and over?
>>
>>321828234
Kek you're
>>
Just play the original, I did for the first time this summer and found it to be an excellent game even by modern standards.
>>
>>321826059
>>321824841
You forgot how woefully unintuitive the hub world was. The one in Thief:DS was an annoying slog, but at the very least it had very clear entry and exit points from one part of the city to the other. THIAF not only has the same annoying commute, but it also hides the transition areas by making them the same exact windows you have to jimmy open to get into some of the building interiors. So you either have to memorize which of the windows lead to rooms and which lead to zoning to other areas of the world, or you open them indiscriminately and get randomly transported around when you don't want to.

And, Garrett is supposed to be a master thief, yet spends most of his time either stealing utensils from poor people or stealing shit and hoarding it while living in his stupid hobo clock tower.
>>
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 609x453) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 609x453
Where'd you go OP?
>>
>>321831063
I guess Id have to play the originals to understand what sqenix did wrong
>>
FOUNDRYMAN'S DROOP
O
U
N
D
R
Y
M
A
N
S

D
R
O
O
P
>>
>>321832680
You just have to have some familiarity with stealth games to understand. Develop some taste

Or you could just read what anon wrote, since he explained to you what edios montreal did wrong. They're the developers by the way, sqenix just published the game.
>>
>>
>>321823827
its was bland and boring to me, and i mostly play for story and the story in this game was generic and stupid
>>
>>321832963
F O R G E T
T H E
G L O O M
>>
>>321833485
OP here,
I didn't pick the game up for its story, though (which I felt would be lackluster before I started).
I wanted to see if its stealth mechanics could live up to some of the better ones like the obvious MGS or SS or Deus Ex
>>
So the game is free on the Xbone and I heard from some friends that its sorta like Dishonored. Should I get it since I liked that game?
>>
File: 1411891548787.png (140 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1411891548787.png
140 KB, 800x600
>>321833745
There are a lot of reasons I don't like Thief 2014 but sound is the biggest one. I've never seen sound implemented as part of the gameplay quite as well as it was in the first 2 Thief games so that was particularly disappointing.
Similarly, sound is a big reason I prefer the first 2 Thief games to other stealth games.
>>
>>321834040
>free
Get it and try it to form your opinion
>>
>>321834040
It's not like Dishonored in any meaningful way, they both take place in a city with a plague and they both contain stealth but that's about it and they handle that totally differently.
Dishonored's developers understood Thief better than Thief's developers did (they should, some of the old Thief developers worked on it), even though Dishonored plays quite a bit differently from old Thief.
>>
>>321833745
i understand that and i am not lambasting you for liking it but for me since i paid 15 bucks for it i was disappointed, dont get me wrong its not a bad game just meh, but i didnt want to waste my time on it
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.