[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
noko
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: PICTUREEE.jpg (294 KB, 1019x1266) Image search: [Google]
PICTUREEE.jpg
294 KB, 1019x1266
Whaddup /v/? I wanna get into JRPGs but I have no clue where to start, what are some recommendations for babby's first JRPG to get me into the genre.
>>
>>321818812
>noko
What is this 2008?
>>
Chrono trigger for games like FFgames
FFT for tactics games
FE7 for strategy games
Persona 3 or Strange Journey for Dungeon crawlers
>>
>>321819013
No it's 2015 desu
>>
>>321819083
Adding to this
>Disgaea 1 and 5 for SRPG
>ZHP and Cladun 1 and 2 for Rougelike
>Soul Nomad+Makai Kingdom for tactics
>>
Most of the SNES JRPGs are great starting points for the traditional JRPGs. I'd personally recommend Lufia 2. It's a prequel to the first Lufia game as well, so there is no worry about not getting parts of the plot.
>>
>>321819083
This is pretty perfect.
>>
>What is Xenoblade Chronicles X
>>
Ignore everyone in this thread and go play fucking Trails in the Sky chapters 1&2.

They're on PC right now, they run on a toaster, and they're easily two of the best games ever made.

FLY FAST ANON.
>>
>>321818812

Traditional JRPGs (turn based)

-Final Fantasy series (I would suggest you start with FF6 onwards. Earlier games are OK but it might not catch you asap.)
-Chrono Trigger
-Grandia II
>Trails in the Sky and Trails in the Sky SC (2 part game with rich characters and plot. Requires a lot of reading and texts so ymmv)
>Wild Arms 1-3
>Persona 3-4
>Suikoden II

Action JRPGs

-Ys series (Ark of Napishtim, Oath in Felghana, Ys Origin, Ys Seven. Ys Chronicles is an old game that might not interest you as the bump system is quite archaic. You can go back to that title after playing the others)
-Vagrant Story
-Secret of Mana

Hybrid JRPGs (have elements of action/freeroaming and traditional JRPGs)

-Tales of (start with Symphonia or Phantasia)
-Star Ocean 1 and 2
>Valkyrie Profile

Strategy RPGs

-Valkyria Chronicles
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together
-Fire Emblem
-Disgaea (a bit too grind heavy though)
>>
>>321818812
>souls games aren't RPGs
>>
>Even more obviously japanese

What makes rorona more japanese? German names? A fucking fantasy setting that could be in an adventure book for children? Alchemy?
>>
File: 1410935035353.jpg (23 KB, 257x263) Image search: [Google]
1410935035353.jpg
23 KB, 257x263
>>321823075
It's bait
Stop it.
>>
>>321823056
>action adventure games with minor RPG elements are RPGs
>>
/wsr/ exists. Delete yourself.
>>
I forgot what noko used to do
>>
Xenoblade Chronicles on Wii
Literally the best JRPG of last generation and that is a fact, prove me wrong
You can't
>>
>>321823597
babby's first mmo: single-player edition
>>
File: 1450393340999.jpg (45 KB, 604x442) Image search: [Google]
1450393340999.jpg
45 KB, 604x442
>>321823746
>has an ability bar
>it's a single player mmo!!!!!
>>
>>321823746
>nothing in common with an MMO except for one feature
I guess that makes Sonic Generations a racer because Sonic goes fast and so do cars.
>>
>>321823746
>Has an arts system
>"It's an mmo"
Oh please
>>
>>321823923
yeah it's totally the ability bar and not the trillion pointless fetch quests
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Colony_9_Quests
>>
>>321818812
>Amount of western influence decides the quality
I agree that JRPGs have mostly gone to shit, but that isn't the reason
>>
>>321824230
>"fetch quests are only present in mmo game"
Oh please
>>
>>321824230
>yeah it's totally the ability bar and not the trillion pointless fetch quests
>one a staple in RPGs in general
>one can be found even in action adventure platformers
>>
>>321824230
>optional sidequests
>>
>>321823923
It is a single player MMO though, I say that as someone who put 80 hours into the game
Well it has online stuff though but it's mostly badly implemented and used to get tickets for rare drops
>>
>>321819013
C'MON IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR PEOPLE
>>
>>321824459
How much time you've put into the game doesn't validate your bullshit opinion. And Xenoblade (the game we're talking about) has no online features.
>>
>>321818812
Final Fantasy X would be a decent starting place if you're looking for "babby's first JRPG"
>>
>>321824620
Oh I thought you were talking about X, sorry
Yeah Xenoblade is slighly less of a MMO, it has actually has a narrative and a cast that isn't made of boring one note blankets for one
>>
>>321823923
>>321824058
>>321824094

Where the fuck do you idiots even get these responses from?

It plays like an mmo because it has

>auto combat with group mechanics that involve tanking, healers and damage dealers

how the fuck do you even not see this shit?

Also

>>321823597

Nier was better, hell Atelier arland trilogy was better
>>
>>321818812

>That image
>Literally criticizing foreign entertainment for being too foreign

Man, I hate people.
>>
>>321818812
>JRPG
>more Japanese
>bad

What am I reading?
>>
>>321824746
Xenoblade is a JRPG through and through - it has shitty sidequests but that's about where the MMO crap ends. Not to mention that they're sidequests and not at all required (or even encouraged) to complete when playing the game. Not sure how X is more of an MMO considering the sidequests are much improved over the original game.
>>
>>321824459
You dumb nigger I'm not talking about X I've been talking about the original the whole time.
>>
>>321825205
>Not sure how X is more of an MMO considering the sidequests are much improved over the original game
The sidequests aren't improved at all, if anything they are even more boring considering the writing took a huge hit and 99% of the quests are fetch quests or kill these monsters quests
Gameplay-wise it's a MMO throughout, it has a hub town, a customizable protagonist, a narrative that is far less pronounced and even lots of online shit
You'd be hard pressed to say how it isn't an offline MMO, even the UI is similar
>>
>>321824795
>It plays like an mmo because it has
>group mechanics that involve tanking, healers and damage dealers
So do plenty of games that aren't MMOs, like Dragon Age of Etrian Odyssey. Not to mention that Xenoblade doesn't really have a traditional trinity; Sharla is the only healer and is wholly unnecessary, and out of the remainder of the cast 4/6 characters can tank to some degree. Also, everyone besides Sharla does damage.

You're basically just listing a bunch of superficial similarities that are more indicative of party-based RPGs than MMOs.
>>
File: hothead.jpg (3 KB, 125x122) Image search: [Google]
hothead.jpg
3 KB, 125x122
>>321818812
>the most strongest
how's the 5th grade going OP?
>>
File: 1363155549790.gif (80 KB, 170x207) Image search: [Google]
1363155549790.gif
80 KB, 170x207
>>321825581
>Gameplay-wise it's a MMO throughout, it has a hub town, a customizable protagonist, a narrative that is far less pronounced and even lots of online shit
Yea I agree, Dark Souls is a shitty single player MMO
>>
>>321818812
>babby's first JRPG to get me into the genre

Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII
Chrono Trigger

Those are probably the best games in the genre to start with.
>>
>>321819083
>Persona 3

P3's dungeon crawling was shit
>>
>>321825693
OP is clearly not the creator of the image. A bit of reading comprehension goes a long way. You'll learn this once you hit sixth grade.
>>
>>321825581
>The sidequests aren't improved at all
Okay bud, go back and play Xenoblade. The sidequests in X are still shit, but they generally have a story, characters, and better written dialogue than the first game. Not to mention they're far less of a hassle to pick up and manage
>>
>>321825702
Dark Souls does have online element but it also requires eyes to hand coordination and actual imput from the player.
Pretty different from the traditional MMO "let's wait tills my ability refresh while I auto-attack, make use of the aggro and shit" gameplay

I'm not even saying it's bad but you have to be delusional if you think X isn't made as an offline MMO

>The sidequests in X are still shit, but they generally have a story, characters, and better written dialogue than the first game
Yeah, no. You are the first one I see praising the writing of X

>Not to mention they're far less of a hassle to pick up and manage
Normal quests maybe but the affinity quests are a fucking hassle to do
>>
>>321826140
>praising the writing of X
Learn how to fucking read
>>
>>321823321
go back to /a/ faggot, what's the point of browsing this shithole if not to find out about games you don't know about that are worth playing
>>
File: Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg (13 KB, 290x180) Image search: [Google]
Moving-The-Goalposts.jpg
13 KB, 290x180
>>321826140
Oh so now it's about autoattacking, aggro and cooldowns? I thought you said it was about a hub town, custom protagonist, and narrative?
>>
>>321826187
You are praising the writing by putting it above Xenoblade
No matter how generic and ANIME the writing of Xenoblade was it was still better than the bland souless shit of X
>>
>>321826343
It's about every elements you listed, thank for the summary
>>
>>321826394
I said the dialogue in the sidequests is better written you fucking illiterate piece of trash.
>>
>>321826661
And I'm saying you are delusional
The Back to the Future sidequests are the only ones that are a bit entertaining.
Especially everything with the Xenos is absolutely trash
>>
>>321825581
>if anything they are even more boring considering the writing took a huge hit
>I didn't play X so rape my face
All of the fantastic writing that was in XC went into the subquests in XCX. It's one of the biggest reasons why people say to play them rather than rush out the main story.
>>
>>321818812
>weeaboo being used in image
Thats how you can fucking tell its a shitpost
>>
>>321827907
>>if anything they are even more boring considering the writing took a huge hit
>>I didn't play X so rape my face
I played X, sorry.
I even liked it
For one XC never had fantastic writing, seriously what?
And the subquests of XBX? Like I said the only one that was a bit entertaining was the BTF one for normal quests and the H.B affinity because he is H.B
>>
>>321828059
>Like I said the only one that was a bit entertaining was the BTF one for normal quests and the H.B affinity because he is H.B
>only the ones I played are entertaining
That's pathetic.
>>
>>321828218
I did mostly everything, again sorry
>>
>>321828327
Not him but I doubt you have, not without rushing through everything like person with ADHD.
>>
Do you have a PS4, OP?
>>
>>321828460
I've been playing since release, there is really nothing to rush.
I did most of the affinity quests, everything for Elma, Lin, L, Lao (of course), Doug, Irina, H.B, Hope, Alexa and some for the rest.
>>
>>321828854
>I've been playing since release, there is really nothing to rush.
Thanks for confirming that you have anon.
>>
>European swords, buildings, clothes, names, characters, plants
Japanese are all westaboos, they take so much culture and technology from europe and english colonys.
Being a weeaboo wouldn't be bad if they didn't have such a neet culture which takes more from europe than japan.

The only thing japanese in each one of those pictures is the fucking art style godamn westaboos
>>
>>321828327
Post play time and stats.
>>
>>321829124
>Japanese are all westaboos
Nigga wut.
They're rare as shit in the east, there's more moe otaku there than westaboos.
>>
>>321829152
Seriously? Do I have to put a timestamp too?
Be serious, I'm not going to plug my wii-u and shit just to make you happy
>>
>JRPG's THEN
80-90s Animu

>JRPG's NOW
00-10s Animu

Wow it's like nothing really changed at fucking all other than the style.
>>
>>321829312
Then all of your posts are invalidated and you're just shitposting.
It's not hard you lazy fuck, just post directly from the system.
>>
>>321829493
It's 3am here so yeah it's hard.
Believe me or not I don't care, I don't really have to justify myself
>>
>>321829238
Their current culture is more western than japanese. For one, they all wear western clothes daily but you rarely see them wearing kimonos and other than for funerals and festivals
>>
>>321829584
You're not the only Brit here faggot if you can't handle 3am then get the fuck off.
>>
>>321818812

Valkyria Chronicles - strategy RPG

JRPGs excel in turn base tactical games.
At this point that's what I look for in a JRPG
>>
>>321818812

FF from 5 to 10,FF tactics, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Tales of, Fire emblem
>>
>>321818812
Pandora tower on the wii is pretty good. So is Arc Rise Fantasia, and phantom brave
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.