[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Valve just swept it under the carpet and everone forgot about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12
File: image.png (153 KB, 3050x2233) Image search: [Google]
image.png
153 KB, 3050x2233
Valve just swept it under the carpet and everone forgot about it after a couple of days.
So this is the power of the master race...
All that le consumer rights talk was just a meme...

Friendly reminder that Sony publicly apologized, offered free identity theft insurance for those affected, and gave free games to everyone and sonyggers still sued Sony for more.
>>
>>321817275
THIS GOY KNOWS
DELETE THIS
>>
what happened
>>
>>321817514
hello?
>>
File: panty.jpg (208 KB, 871x720) Image search: [Google]
panty.jpg
208 KB, 871x720
>>321817275
>Sony
>Kept fucking usernames and passwords in a .txt and was down for a month

>Valve
Had a webpage cache error that revealed the last 2 numbers of your CC for 2 or 3 hours

If you think these are the same, you're a retard. inb4 "d-damage control heh heh".
>>
>>321817553
Valve fucked up.
>>
>>321817553

Couple of accounts got exposed or something, servers went down for a while, nothing important was revealed, and everything went on as normal within 2 hours.

Comparatively, Sony servers went down, shitloads of CC#s were stolen, loads of people lost identities and yet they still keep using PSN.
>>
>>321817986
>it's ok when le gaben does it
It's like I'm on r/pcmasterrace.
>>
>>321818169

>nothing happened

Key point here. Sony leaked out loads of sensitive information that actually affected people. Valve leaked out the last 2 digits of a CC, which is pretty pointless given that you'd still have to generate the first 14 digits in order to use it.

But of course it's ok when Kaz does it.
>>
>>321818529
Valve leaked emails and CC billing addresses
>>
>>321818651
Can't wait for all those dragon dildos.
>>
>>321818651

Both of which can be easily found in pretty much any forum a person frequents or the White Pages.

Unless your CC is printed in a public place, it's infinitely more sensitive.
>>
>>321817986
>>321818070
At the end of the day Sony learned from its mistakes and understood how in a changing world like ours you simply can't afford to provide a safe and efficient online service for free, no matter how big your company is.

Today: PSN have been working flawlessly since 2011, while Steam shits the bed almost weekly.
>>
>>321818791

Is Sony paying you for this?
>>
>>321818791

>PSN have been working flawlessly since 2011

That's a good one.
>>
>>321818919
Get this he does his for FREE! What a mad man right?!
>>
>>321818919
They do it for free. Because they hate gaming on a PC. These sonyponeniggers got to be the most butt hurt it can be
>>
>>321818791
psn was down in my area since the 24th until today and it was their own server side error
>>
File: 1425231400771.png (100 KB, 296x267) Image search: [Google]
1425231400771.png
100 KB, 296x267
>>321818070
>PSN working flawlessly

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves
>>
>>321819043
>>321819068
>free
are you for real
why would they do it for free
>>
First, this >>321817986
Second, legally speaking you can't even complain, since no sensitive info was visible to anyone.
Phone number was not visible except for the last 3 or 4 digits.
CC number was not visible except for the last 3 digits.
Only fully visible info was your email, which no one can use to do any kind of harm to you without a password.
Sources which are not affiliated with Valve confirmed that any of the leaked info were read only, so all the rumors and claims you read about people losing wallet money, suddenly having less steam gifts that before, or sudden shit games added to their account, are false.
So in the end, what was leaked was only your email, an info that anyone who is actually interested in "hacking" into your account(not just steam, any kind of account) can obtain without the need for it to leak, as there are a lot of easy way to access to that info, even legally.
So again, no legal complaint are possible, and Steam doesn't have to give you anything, because what happened did nothing or couldnt even potentially harm anyone.
Now shut the fuck up and go back to pla...complaining about games.
>>
File: 191654894561.jpg (7 KB, 212x238) Image search: [Google]
191654894561.jpg
7 KB, 212x238
>>321817275
>swept it under the carpet
>swept it
>under the carpet
>>
File: Capture.png (740 KB, 891x787) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
740 KB, 891x787
>>321819151
you underestimate what autism does to people

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/09/11/terrorist-troll-pretended-to-be-isis-white-supremacist-and-jewish-lawyer.html
>>
THIS IS HERESY
BEHEAD THOSE WHO TALK ILL OF LORD GABEN
DELETE THIS THREAD AT ONCE
>>
>>321819068
It's perfectly rational to hate PC gaming. The thing is like a toxic miasma, killing everything it touches. Just look at MGSV and DaS2: developed with PC on mind, they ended being some of the worst games ever created and killed their respective series.
>>
File: 1451349745035.jpg (207 KB, 920x900) Image search: [Google]
1451349745035.jpg
207 KB, 920x900
>>321817275
DELETE THIS
>>
>>321819246
>>321818529
Then explain why yesterday lots of anons had to report their CC as stolen and/or got funds removed from their accounts.
>>
Admittedly Sony's hack was a LOT worse, but yeah at least they did something, fuck valve, coming from someone with 500 steam games.
>>
>>321819441
But MGSV was built with PS4 in mind?
>>
>>321819497
woah, why is there a drawing of me on here
>>
File: 1451079819753.jpg (79 KB, 858x677) Image search: [Google]
1451079819753.jpg
79 KB, 858x677
>>321819246
>no sensitive info
This would be true if you couldn't access page like this
>>
>>321818070
>Couple of accounts got exposed or something
millions of accounts and personal telephone numbers and addresses were able to get accessed

FTFY Dronefriend
>>
>>321817986
Regardless of if anyone will be harmed by the leaked information, I'm mad that there was a leak in the first place and I'm mad at how Valve is handling it.

Seriously, how fucking childish are you retards arguing "my security breach wasn't as bad as yours!" You faggots are cancer and need to fuck off.
>>
>>321819614
Because they participated in "your credit card info gets x'd if you post them" threads.
>>
>>321819614

Those were HTML edits anon, anyone with 10 minutes of googling can recreate what they did.
>>
>>321819441
>Souls
>dead

Also
>PC killed Metal Gear
>Not Japanese slots

Here is the thing. I remember loving the PS2 but right now the big question is what has Sony done for me lately?
>>
>>321819614
>The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood.
Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

They really should print this at the top of every board.
>>
>valvedrones ARE actually defending this

HAHAHA holy fuck
>>
>>321819929

We've got fags in here defending having their credit cards stolen from a service that charges them a monthly fee, that's even worse.
>>
File: demobutt.png (220 KB, 540x484) Image search: [Google]
demobutt.png
220 KB, 540x484
Let me sum up this thread and all others like it to save people some time in the future:

>Anon 1: VALVE GOT FUGGIN HACKED! RUSSIAN CYBER TERRORISTS KNOW ALL OF YOUR CREDIT CARD INFO NOW. RIOT RIOT RIOT DOWN WITH VALVE

>Anon 2: No, it was a caching error that exposed entirely useless pieces of data. Nothing happened, and there is no confirmed reports of this actually damaging people.

>Anon 1: OMG STOP SUCKING GABENS COCK FUCKING VALVE SHILL WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Honestly I'm aware I'm using the "I AM SILLY" argument, but everytime I've seen people try to logically explain why we shouldnt freak the fuck out they just get spammed with "GO SUCK GABENS COCK VALVESHILL." So I reserve the right to call the people who make these threads retarded and silly
>>
>my favorite company isn't terrible! The competing corporation is the one that is terrible!

Man, tribal mentality is truly fucked up. I bet I do similar things without even noticing. I wish we all could be rid of it.
>>
>>321819731
>millions of accounts and personal telephone numbers and addresses were able to get accessed

It was only a handful of accounts, people were often getting logged into the same accounts other people were.

>>321819614
>Then explain why yesterday lots of anons had to report their CC as stolen and/or got funds removed from their accounts

Yes and all those Gawker headlines you see posted here are real too. They were edits anon, most of them weren't even good ones and go called out on bad cell padding, etc.
>>
>>321820019
Who cares about PSN

So not acknowledging the whole thing is the right action for Valve to take?
>>
>>321819614
Which part of " all the rumors and claims you read about people losing wallet money, suddenly having less steam gifts that before, or sudden shit games added to their account, are false." you ddnt read/understand?

>>321819663
Except you couldn't?
Stop believeing the fucking screenshots of people who could still access their own info normally when the thing just started and do your own fucking research and you'll see it's impossible that page was accessible.
If it was, where are all the people losing money for real?
Where are all the people with stolen accounts?
Where are all the people bitching around their lost money?
All the screenshots showing more than the normal cached info have been proven false, so no one is actually complaining for an actual loss, because there was no actual loss.
>>
File: 1431747169790.png (386 KB, 875x669) Image search: [Google]
1431747169790.png
386 KB, 875x669
Everyone's angry (and justifiably so) because Valve hasn't made a public statement explaining what happened, how they solved it and guaranteeing it isn't going to happen again.
"We were attacked", "our servers couldn't handle Christmas' traffic so they BSOD", "Bob from finance used the web server as a foot rest", Anything is better than just being silent.
>>
did anything actually happened
like, i want legit proof of someone losing money or an identity because of this event
>>
File: 1339142862612.jpg (57 KB, 233x233) Image search: [Google]
1339142862612.jpg
57 KB, 233x233
>>321820184
>Who cares about PSN
>deflecting this hard
>previous post was calling people itt drones for defending valve
>yfw
>>
>>321820232
>it's impossible that page was accessible

lol perhaps you should stop talking out your ass and actually look into this subject before you start spouting rubbish?
>>
I'm not worried about my bank account.

I'm moreso worried about my fucking home address being known by someone honestly.

Even if nothing will happen, the fact someone knows the address that could be living in russia or something terrifies me for some reason.
>>
>>321817275
Sony apologized and gave free games because their company were dying
If they lose any more of their consumers they would be fucked and go bankrupt

Valve is successful as fuck doesn't care because they have 20m consumers who won't die off for a long time

Get btfo consolefaggot
American piggu eat shit
>>
>>321820352
Actually I'm a based GOG master race but everyone who doesn't suck valves dick MUST be a console user right... whatever keeps your narrative continuing

You never answered the question though...

So not acknowledging the whole thing is the right action for Valve to take?
>>
>>321820420

Then you better pray that ruskies don't know how to read phone books, because you're pretty much guaranteed to have an entry in one.

Failing that, there's plenty of free utilities online for finding home addresses of people. And the odds are pretty good that nobody gives 2 shits about it besides junk mail circulators.
>>
>>321820232
>it's impossible that page was accessible
Even Google had access to it, the guy whose cache was used didn't have any info stored but it was indeed possible to easily access it.
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:N4Aq9RX4kPsJ:https://store.steampowered.com/checkout/%3Fpurchasetype%3Dupdatebillinginfo+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=en
>>
>>321819663
Uh, no you could. You could see some of the data like the e-mail address and the steam wallet funds, but you couldn't see, least edit, the credit card number. The only thing you could do was deleting the last credit card used by that person (and I accidental did with someone's profile)

>>321820071
Ahahaha nope. The e-mail address is anything but useless data. They can do things like trying to steal the account by using the address, do a scam using said legit e-mail address or selling it to spammers or nigerian princes.
>>
valve should have at least given free copies of portal1+2/lfd2 just for creating all this panic.
Just saying, it wouldn't hurt
>>
>>321820594
>GOG masterace
I hope you enjoy playing shitty indies until you die
>>
>>321817275
the pccuckold race indeed, the steam search engine still does not work,
>>
>>321820594
I'm a different anon than the one you were arguing with. I was just pointing out how stupid that was.

And no, it's not. Fuck Valve and their monopoly.
>>
File: still there.png (5 KB, 275x39) Image search: [Google]
still there.png
5 KB, 275x39
>>321820415
Not him, and I dunno where he reads what he's saying, but the money i had before the leaking are still there, and my cached page was posted on /v/ and /b/ multiple times...if so many people could access my info, why no one took advange of my money?
>>
>>321820743
http://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt

that damn indie title huh
>>
>>321820743
have you looked at the steam catalog, because like 96% of it is indie shovelware trash , steam is on par with the google app store in its sheer amount of garbage shove.ware
>>
>>321820743
Valvedrones everyone
>>
>>321820352
what does psn being hacked have anything to do with what happened on steam?

Why the fuck do valve fanboys defend valve so hard? Because of people like you valve went from the best company to the literal worst, who don't take responsibility for any of their fuckups because fanboys like you defend them.
>>
>>321820696
The page can be accessed, but it'd be empty.
So the page actually containing the info can't be accessed.
That page doesn't read the info from the previous cached page(the one everyone shown), so either it would have your info instead of the info of the users you could see the cached page of, or it'd be empty.
I myself could access around 15-20 cached pages from other info, but never once the page you showed was accessible or had their info, it was always unreachable, it was empty, or it had my info, not other's.
>>
I'll just leave this here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkSslseq9Y8
>>
File: SuJ8PXF.gif (2 MB, 200x293) Image search: [Google]
SuJ8PXF.gif
2 MB, 200x293
>>321820906
>developed and published by the same company
>developed and published by the very same company that owns gog.com
>not indie
>>
>>321821197
Where the fuck did I defend Valve in my post you retarded nigger? Blind fanboys of any kind are stupid. Fuck Valve.
>>
>>321820769

Literally the only thing that upsets me about this sale, having to rely on fucking 4chan to find hidden gems.
>>
>>321821503
steam is oversaturated with garbage, the search engine desperately needs filters so i can for example block games with the tag indie.

Jesus christ nexusmods has a far better search engine steam has , steam is outdated trash
>>
>>321817275

Forgout about what? That time that literally nothing happened and nobody was hurt?
>>
>>321821441
Because you're correlating that post to what other people are posting.

His post has nothing to do with what other people are posting, just the fact that valve fucked up hard. You replying with a retarded picture is defending the company because you're not responding to the fact that valve fucked up hard.

The monthy fee post was basically saying "LOL SONY DID WORST SO IT'S OK", while the following posts states that the situation right now is valve not doing a damn thing about what happened.
>>
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fstore.steampowered.com%2Fcheckout%2F%3Fpurchasetype%3Dupdatebillinginfo
>>
>>321818771
Don't forget they also leaked the last four digits of your credit card, something easily obtainable from any bin outside of an ATM or store.
>>
>le misinformation circlejerk thread
wowie nice OP i like it
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.