[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did you interpret Leder's story, /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7
File: vlcsnap-2015-12-28-17h26m10s92.png (24 KB, 432x432) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-12-28-17h26m10s92.png
24 KB, 432x432
How did you interpret Leder's story, /v/?
>>
literally
>>
File: ancient dry wojak alternate.jpg (36 KB, 482x427) Image search: [Google]
ancient dry wojak alternate.jpg
36 KB, 482x427
>Mother 3 will never get a proper English translation

Before you redditors leap to the defense of the fan translation, remember that even the guy responsible for it admitted he fucked up big time.
>>
>>321791154
NoA's censoring would ruin it anyway.
>>
>>321791154
How come? What was wrong with the fan translation?
>>
>>321791154
I had never even heard that there was something wrong with it. Where did it go wrong? Also, do you have a link for the translator admitting he fucked up?
>>
>>321790615

>dumping a massive backstory on you at the end when there's pretty much zero foreshadowing for it before that point.

Shit story telling, should've taken notes from undertale lol
>>
>>321791715
>Not getting that the whole point of that speech was to contrast it with the player's suspicions.
You, as a player, get that shit smells really bad long before. Leder is just confirming it.
>>
>>321790615
same way I interpret reddit
>>
>>321790615
As Itoi is a very shitty writer.
>>
Uh, exactly how he told it?

There can't always be a deep meaning behind every word.
>>
>>321791154
Source or fuck you faggot.
>>
>>321791301
>>321791632
>>321792640
https://forum.starmen.net/forum/Games/Mother3FanTranslation/Mother-3-Script-Rewrite/
>>
>>321791715
False flagger pls go back to making DoA Undertale threads
>>
>>321791301
>>321791632

Probably the cursing and "You must exhausted" instead of "You must be so tired" which itoi himself said made him cry even though he wrote it.
>>
Real talk, I just want a proper English translation so I can buy it and support the series. It's my favorite game of all time, and I want a physical copy only for the sake of having a physical copy.
>>
>>321792814
i'm not seeing where Tomato is saying he fucked up
>>
>>321793059
I honestly don't know what's the hold up to be translated and ported to the European and American Wii U Virtual Console besides translation.

They already know that Mother 1 and 2 already sold like hot cakes.
>>
They're all dead and the islands are hell
>>
>>321791715
But Undertale did the same thing.
>>
File: dissapointment.gif (911 KB, 171x141) Image search: [Google]
dissapointment.gif
911 KB, 171x141
First there was the mother 4 cancer that killed mother threads, now it's fucking memetale?
>>
>>321791715
>What's the neutral ending
>>
File: 4837604_480mw.jpg (85 KB, 480x679) Image search: [Google]
4837604_480mw.jpg
85 KB, 480x679
>>321791154
Honestly as much as a real translation would be cool I can't imagine it would be a 100% accurate translation and things would be censored. Before you say censoring doesn't matter, I typically agree. I can give two shits if a bikini costume is replaced. I feel like certain jokes and story elements would be lost or changed.

As far as OP's question I interpreted it as humans realizing they fucked up to much but simply lost real interest or hope of things getting better. I wish a reason source of what killed the humans was explained. I also found it ironic that in mother 1 and 2 humanity, the thing that you're trying to save, ended just destroying itself on its own.
>>
Refresh my memory, last time I played it was so long ago
>something something dragons and capitalism? something Erik Satie's Gymnopedie No. 1 something
>>
>>321793956

the world ended, a bunch of people got on a ship to nowhere islands, everyone but leder wiped their memories.
>>
There's a lot of cut dialogue in this game, just go to the cutting room floor and there's a bunch of interesting stuff.
>>
>>321794057
Was there a dragon involved?
>>
>>321791632
I've heard the original mother 3 is actually less punny then the translation. For example the the "pigtunia" in the the English translation was actually something as simple as "pig grass" or "pig plant" in the the original. Another example I heard was that the "cattlesnake" was just called the "snake cow" I don't speak Japanese so I can't confirm this myself, anyone here understand Japanese and played the original MOTHER 3?
>>
>>321794347

the dragon is related to the needles, I dunno what it had to do with leder's speech
>>
File: what_a_beautiful_duwang.jpg (867 KB, 2356x1792) Image search: [Google]
what_a_beautiful_duwang.jpg
867 KB, 2356x1792
>>321793239
Says Tomato said on a lets play he wished he had the time to fix a lot of things, which anon somehow took as "I FUCKED UP BIG TIME" when its really the standard "if I had a lifetime to waste I'd make it flawless but I'd rather live with good enough and have it actually release"

Also considering how much fucking time he spent on it I doubt nintendo or any other company could do any better in less time, we're talking about slightly awkward phrasing and "a thousand tiny, incredibly nitpicky grammar things" which pretty much happen in every translation. Its not like Tomato didn't know what he was doing, he's a translator by trade

I honestly don't know how anyone can complain about the M3 fan translation, its a fucking miracle we even got it, let alone its final quality.
>>
>>321794486
Okay, then I'm remembering stuff wrong
>>
>>321794603

Maybe I'm just forgetting something. A dragon is important in this game, I just can't remember if it's mentioned here.
>>
>>321792814
>Talks about changing names of places
>Talks of changing Kumatoras name to "Tori"

yea this shit can fuck right off
>>
>>321794851
The world ended but the only part that survived for the white ship to land on was nowhere islands since the sleeping dragon's magic kept it safe from whatever apocalypse happened
>>
>>321793574
And it handled it much worse than Mother 3

>Mother 3
>long, all-in-one speech

>Undertale
>Random encounter
>slow text that you can't speed through
>take 3-4 steps
>repeat once for every normal enemy type in the entire game
>>
>>321794380
cattlesnake is ウシヘビ so cattlesnake is the literal translation.
>>
>>321795367
>シ
Nice meme face.
>>
>>321795486
>シ
>>
>>321791154
there are some things that are phrased a bit awkwardly in it. So I focused on improving those, as well as fixing (hopefully!) about a thousand tiny, incredibly nitpicky grammar things. These changes aren’t huge.

FUCKED
UP
BIG
TIME
>>
>>321795263
>>Undertale
>>Random encounter
>>slow text that you can't speed through
>>take 3-4 steps
>>repeat once for every normal enemy type in the entire game
What was he thinking when he did this?
>>
>>321795367
My mistake then, although I've completed the original version on a official cart I couldn't understand it. Also I remember reading that the chimera enemies had much more literal names of what animals they are a mix of, does anyone know if this is true?
>>
File: Mother3Kuma2.png (5 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Mother3Kuma2.png
5 KB, 240x160
>>321795742
I don't remember what she actually said in the original translation, but there's no way this is an improvement.
>>
>>321795823
Money imo
>>
>>321795823
The guy was pretty much stating the point of "See all those monsters you spared? They all are pieces in a big puzzle."

Could be handled way better though.
>>
>>321795893
I looked up a few names on wiki and the ones I checked seem to be on point with the translations
http://www.wikibound.info/wiki/Flying_Mouse
http://www.wikibound.info/wiki/Mecha-Drago
http://www.wikibound.info/wiki/Ultimate_Chimera
http://www.wikibound.info/wiki/Reconstructed_Caribou
http://www.wikibound.info/wiki/Rooound_Fish
There is stuff like "fast walking mushroom" being scamperin mushroom and pigtunia, but with the way japanese works everything tends to be a bit more literal than english in the first place, and a literal translation isn't always the best. Not that I'm a translator or anything.
>>
>>321796805
Thanks, and I agree that literal translations aren't always the best. I think tomato's choice to rename the scamperin mushroom to it's translation from earthbound was great.
>>
File: son-of-a-submariner-e.png (7 KB, 512x448) Image search: [Google]
son-of-a-submariner-e.png
7 KB, 512x448
>>321796805
It's relative. A non-literal translation can either improve the experience or spoil it... Or both.

The thing is that Japanese often write things to make sense only in their language and culture. This happens to any translation in general.
>>
>>321795893
Some of them do, but they aren't too different.

>Sparrow Stick was translated as Squawking Stick
>Osohebi was translated as Oh-So-Snake, but that can't really be translated well
>Mushroom Dog was translated as Muttshroom
>Pig Grass was translated as Pigtunia
>Koumoutan was translated as Batangutan, it's a portmanteau in both
>Woof-woof Fish was translated as Dogfish
>Top Woof-woof was translated as Top Dogfish
>Ostrich Elephant was translated as Ostrelaphant
>Parental Kangaroo Shark was translated as Parental Kangashark
>Umanchula was translated as Horsantula, it's a portmanteau in both
>Pork Brain was translated as Einswine
>Frozen-stiff Wolf was translated as Chilly Dog

And so on and so on. A lot of them are just shortened, maybe due to space constrictions.
>>
>>321796805
Japanese sucks in that it's super fucking vague most of the time. ここはいい could mean a shit ton of slightly different things depending on context. Sometimes you have to be liberal with it or else you'll have some of the most boring dialogue imaginable.
>>
>>321797483
And things get worse where you only supply kana and not kanji, like Mother 3.
A literal translation would look worse than Duwang on these cases.
>>
>>321797462
Interesting, I guess I was right in some regard. Thanks.
>>
I've been playing a flash cart of the game (it's Version 1.1) and I've had no problems with the translation itself.

What's the main complaint? I'm on Chapter 7 right now and the only thing that seemed off was the cursing.
>>
>>321794380
There were a few jokes and puns added to Mother 3's English translation, yes, and some jokes were localized to make more sense (the first example that comes to mind is a poster with a reference to a Japanese band that was changed to be a reference to The Who), but the same can be said of Earthbound.

Mother 3's translation wasn't just a translation, it was a localization aimed towards the fanbase of Earthbound, so taking up the same sort of translation and localization practices as Earthbound was the best move.
>>
>>321795263
Honestly, I think they both did a fine job with it. Mother 3 was kind of rushed, so they needed Leder's exposition dump, while Undertale's exposition dump was a stylistic choice, forcing you to take the section slowly, and take everything in.
>>
>>321798048
>"I've had no problems with the translation itself."
>only one anon ITT complained about the translation and didn't actually point out any flaws
>everyone else defended the translation
Hmmm

Also there's some dude doing rewrites apparently so don't confuse complaints about those with the actual translation
>>
>>321798612
Oh, my mistake.

Got to say that it's an amazing translation. Why didn't Nintendo of America take up on the offer when it was given to them?
>>
>>321795919
I'm not positive, but maybe it's an attempt to translate a sentence-final particle?
>>
>>321798890
She's introducing herself?

>Howzit
>How's it going?
>>
>>321799170
Well I mean obviously she's doing that. I'm just saying that maybe the Japanese text had her end her sentence with "ze" or something?
>>
>>321799609
If you've made a character say something that no native English speaker would actually say in any dialect, then you're literally not even localizing and you have failed to grasp the concept of localization.
>>
>>321800379
Howzit is a thing that people say though.
>>
>>321790615
>vlc
What.
>>
>>321800741
Howzit is not a thing people say as a single word question.
>>
Leder's story has some fucking awesome music
>>
>>321801968
Here, this remix is pretty good.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU
Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.