[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best Final Fantasy to play for series newbies?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: FinalFantasyLogo-1-1.jpg (42 KB, 1024x819) Image search: [Google]
FinalFantasyLogo-1-1.jpg
42 KB, 1024x819
What is the best Final Fantasy to play for series newbies?
>>
>>321782971
10. You'll like it
>>
>>
>>321782971
9, 10, maybe 12 if you're ok with real time combat.
>>
>>321782971
IV, get either the DS or PSP version
>>
>>321783128
Can second this. 7 and 9 are also simple enough to get into. Avoid 8 if you're new, its battle system is rather complex.
>>
File: Episode Duscae Compilation.webm (3 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Episode Duscae Compilation.webm
3 MB, 1024x576
Just wait for XV.
>>
>>321782971
Try four you can get is on the steam.
>>
I usually recommend starting with 6 or 7. They hold up pretty well and will give you a good idea of what to expect from the series. 9 is also a decent start, although part of its appeal is the homages to previous games which you'll miss if you start with it.

Some people like to recommend 4 or 10, but personally I think 4 isn't a great entry point because it's extremely basic and railroaded, so if you've played any good non-FF JRPG in the past 20 years you might be left thinking "that's it?" And 10 is just pretty different from every previous game so it doesn't give a great impression of the series, and personally I don't like it much.

My favourite game is 5 but I would save it for later 'cause it's also a bit different.
>>
Anything between I and X excepting II and VIII, which are quite different from the other games and can be seen as outliers. You can play the games in any order, they all stand independently from one another, having only occasional shared lore elements.
>>
>>321782971
>what game in this casual, non connected series is a good start?
>>
>>321782971
XIII
>>
1 3 and 4 were short enough, but had an over world that gave a sense of adventure
The combat in each of these are simple enough. Think shitty mobile game claiming to be an rpg, but are just a grind fest with some variety.
4 had an actual story that I cared about RIP Cecil in tr4sh ;_;
>>
3. on PSP.
>>
Final Fantasy IV.
Continue on in numerical order after that.
>>
>>321782971
>>
>>321782971
>>
File: 2015 PSX Gameplay Battle 01.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2015 PSX Gameplay Battle 01.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>
4 was the first one with a big fantasy story like the rest of the series is known for, start with that and then go in order from there.
>>
FFX, the graphics look good for what it is and though it has cringy moments the story is and characters apart from tidus are interesting. Defiantly more accessible than some of the earlier titles.
>>
Basically what this thread shows is that you can start with practically any one of them. They're all similar enough with a couple exceptions that any single one will give you the basic skills to understand the battle system, and yet each has its own unique spins to it.
>>
File: Kingdom Hearts.jpg (184 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom Hearts.jpg
184 KB, 650x366
More important question: what Final Fantasy game has gameplay which is most similar to Kingdom Hearts?
>>
>>321782971
4-7.

Conveniently they're the only ones worth playing if you're not a hardcore fanboi.
>>
>>321785904
Upcoming XV. I don't think even the XIII line comes close to it, although I haven't really played it yet.
Kingdom Hearts is a spin-off the same way Tactics is, deliberately made to be different, it's only now that it's starting to bleed back into the main line of the franchise.
>>
7-10 are pretty good for series beginners, but if you've played xenoblade by chance, 12 will be alright
>>
>>321785904
None so far. XV is looking pretty similar though.
>>
>>321786325
>>321786681

But weren't VIII and IX made by Shinji Hashimoto, the same guy who made Kingdom Hearts?
>>
>>321787039
That might be the case, but there are really no similarities.
The original Kingdom Hearts shares a fraction of its cast with Final Fantasy VIII, but the similarities between the two begin and end there. And VIII is well known as THE "different" game in the franchise, IX is much more like the earlier ones and looks and plays even less like Kingdom Hearts. Like I said earlier, it was deliberately made to be an spin-off with very different gameplay than the main line.

Although, there might be ONE game that plays similar to it, Crisis Core, an spin-off prequel of Final Fantasy VII for the PSP. Never played it, however, so I couldn't comment more.
>>
>>321787397

What about Type-0? I'm looking at the current Steam sale on FF and it looks like VIII and Type-0 are the two I might be interested in as a guy who has no experience with FF but loves Kingdom Hearts. Most of the Steam reviews say that the main drawback is crappy graphics, but I don't really give a shit about how pretty a game is - I'm just interested because it's listed as an APRG. Anyone in this thread played it enough to tell me how much "A" there is in that ARPG?
>>
>>321785904
FFXII

I don't suggest playing it for much more than the fact battles aren't instanced. The story is basically star wars.
>>
>>321787965
Sorry Anon, I couldn't comment about Type-0 either, since I've never played it. But I do think it might be fairly similar gameplay-wise to Kingdom Hearts, hopefully some other Anon can help you more.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.