[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Detective games thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
What are some good/bad Sherlock Holmes videogames?
Also, detective games thread
>>
Well, the Sherlock Holmes games by Frogwares are pretty good. I think it's vs Jack the Ripper > Crimes and Punishments > The Awakened > The Testament > rest.

Jack the Ripper has some "fetch quest" sort of busywork (Holmes is working incognito) but the puzzles tend to be very relevant to the investigation, atmosphere in Whitechapel is great and it's very authentic to the original events.

Crimes and Punishments has a several a bit shorter cases (including one from the books, and it works out fine) with an ability to either fail the investigation or not give in the culprit (think of The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton) and it's the most "modern".

The Awakened is a good and tasteful crossover with Lovecraft (Holmes ends up investigating a cult that thinks Lovecraftian gods exist (nothing definitely supernatural is shown but it has really creepy atmosphere etc.)

The Testament has a major plot point that isn't properly explained if you haven't played Awakened so you should play Awakened first. There's also some parts of story I don't like but I can't really go into detail without spoiling anything. However, it has some nice puzzles and locations etc. The rest of the games aren't bad either.
>>
>>321777353
ah cool, thanks!
>>
File: Deja_Vu_(USA)-1-thumb.png (6 KB, 320x300) Image search: [Google]
Deja_Vu_(USA)-1-thumb.png
6 KB, 320x300
So has anyone played this game before? Looks pretty sweet, just DL'ed the rpm the other day.
>>
>>321777353
Vs Jack the ripper is terrible story wise.

The testament is 9/10 and Crimes and punishments also (too much backtracking with long loading times)
>>
File: melissa!.gif (48 KB, 192x224) Image search: [Google]
melissa!.gif
48 KB, 192x224
Hey /v/, did you get a Christmas tree this year?
>>
>>321778582
In terms of story, I personally enjoyed the fact that it actually dealt with historical questions (stuff like Goulston Street graffito and "From Hell" letter), proving a number of historical suspects innocent, having a real and actually plausible even if not the most likely culprit (As opposed to some outrageous picks in other fiction, like Prince Albert in Sherlock Holmes film Murder by Decree, the game had http://www.casebook.org/suspects/jacoblevy.html), having a solid explanation as to why the perpetrator wasn't ever officially discovered etc.

Of course, if you look at it as stand-alone story without paying no heed to history, it's rather clumsily executed, I can admit that.
>>
Dropped the last Sherlock game when intro had a fucking QTE segment. Picked up after a month and dropped after the first mystery story/chapter/whatever. Zero puzzles, zero actual detective work. It's made for ADD children.

Detective games... well, that X-Files game for ps2 that is a Resi clone is pretty good, if you count that.

Darkness Within games are very detective-like. Think 3d Scratches more or less, with Lovecraft shit.

Dark Corners of the Earth is my favorite.

If you dont mind retro FMV adventures, play Black Dahlia.
>>
>>321780230
You dropped the Crime & Punishments tutorial case where it's the one game where you can actually seriously fuck up your investigations and get punished for it, unlike a certain other detective game that was popular around 5 years back called L.A. Noire where no matter how often you fuck up, you'll still always succeed?
>>
>>321780505
Well, I still think that LA Noire is a shit game.

There's so much more I didnt like about Crimes and punishments. I didn't like how areas are now retardedly small, how you are basically just walking around and using your bamham sense ripoff mechanic and how items had retarded highlight so that they make sure you don't miss anything. What I like about Sherlock games is that they make me want to get a big cup of coffee, sit down and dedicate an hour, usually more, just taking my time, slowly going through the details and conversations and diaries/clues. It's comfy as fuck. I get none of that anymore. You can tell it's rather poorly put together and with very little care and attention.
>>
>>321780821
Well I mean, to be fair Crime & Punishments is fairly non-linear in that it allows you to completely fuck up. If you compare it to the earlier games, if you get completely stuck you're... well stuck until you figure it out and progress through the linear narrative. Crime & Punishments being "casualized" was probably a gameplay consideration since it's the first game which really did introduce failure states where you can fuck up horribly if your detective work is shoddy.

Though I remember Vs Jack the Ripper and Testament having Bamham sense too as well as a button which highlighted everything you can interact with and those games were rather linear, can't remember if Nemesis/Vs Arsene Lupin did though.
>>
>>321780505
To be fair, I think he has a point in that it suffers from what you might describe as consolitis or something like that (made too "accessible" and as such having too few puzzles, too easy to find the clues etc.)

Ultimately though, I do agree that ability to fail your deductions and keeping the few puzzles that there is relevant to the investigation allows it to keep up a "detective game" feel as opposed to feeling like linear rollercoaster ride from point A to B like modern games tend to do. I think vs Jack the Ripper and Awakened had the best balance between the number, difficulty and plot-relevancy of puzzles, Nemesis on the other hand is in the opposite end of the spectrum (maybe I'd be more lenient if I was familiar with Arséne Lupin source material, but it feels like a marathon of obscure and sometimes too difficult riddles instead of crime investigation). Testament and Crimes and Punishments in particular are too light on them, but still within "acceptable" levels I feel. Any more than that and I'd feel the same as that guy, though.
>>
Is it bad if I think Ace Attorney has had the most challenging puzzles within relevancy to the cases? 999 and VLR were fantastic games, but the puzzles were unrelated to the actual story. Is it that I haven't played enough detective games?
>>
I see threads about detective games all the time, but people kind of just post the same disorganized information. We need to collaborate to make a list of /v/ approved detective and puzzle games.
>>
>>321782121
I nominate Jake Hunter - memories of the Past for the ds. It's not a very challenging game, but I think it's a pretty good story.
Also Touch Detective 1 and 2.5. They also aren't hard, but they have a cute story and a very unique style.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.