[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just picked up pic related dirt cheap on Steam. What am I in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1
File: header.jpg (37 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
37 KB, 460x215
Just picked up pic related dirt cheap on Steam. What am I in for? Will it fulfill my nostalgia until dragon's dogma comes out?
>>
>>321767508
Do you like Gothic? Then yes.
Do you hate Gothic? Then no.
Don't go to the Monastery early on or you WILL get yourself forced in there and become semi prisoner there and miss out on shit.
>>
>>321767986
Alright, I always try to mess around as much as I can before entering a new areas in most games, unless they're dull and boring. Does the world on this one have some kind of appeal?
Also, loved gothic series back when I was a kid but played Risen 3 recently and I didn't like it and refunded it, so I don't know if it will happen again with this one
>>
>>321768323
What the fuck was your problem with Risen 3? Did you literally just drop it at the linear tutorial section that lasts about 2 hours before you actually get to the meat of the game? Because I know for a fact most retards do that.

Anyhow Risen 1 is a carbon copy of Gothic 1 in many ways.
Think of it as Gothic 1 with better graphics and slightly different story and better controls and mechanics.
>>
>>321767508
For me it was completly unplayable.
>>
>>321768846
Risen 3 had the worst voice actor possible for the main character and carried on the stupid pirate bullshit of Risen 2.
>>
>>321769589
Thanks for proving you haven't in fact played Risen 3 since it has no pirate shit outside of the prologue.
Also
>implying Gothic english voice acting isn't bottom of the barrel as well
>playing Gothic and Risen games in anything but German or Polish
>>
>>321769845
OP here, got to the part where I get I boat and a stupid shaman tells me to go to a city. Dropped it off right there, also the voice acting was atrocious at best.
>>
>>321769845
also any other rpg you would recommend? Being dragons dogma my all time favorite, but I like other styles too. JRPG is fine as well
>>
>>321767986
I got snatched there early on, does it really bar you from accessing other content? What would be the best order to do stuff in?
>>
>>321770215
Great, so you literally dropped it at the end of the fucking prologue where the actual game begins. The boat literally only serves as a loading screen for traveling the islands.
As for voice acting see post above yours.
People that drop games because of shitty tutorials need to kill themselves.

>>321770435
Going monastery you lost out a very large chunk of Chapter 1 content since you never experience Don's Camp and Harbor Town Chapter 1 quests. Only Chapter 2 and onwards stuff.
>>
>>321770336
Beyond Gothic and Risen series?
Witcher and Dark Souls may be your thing.
>>
>>321770627
Got witcher 2 and 3, as well as DaS and DaS2 too. I'm just looking for new ones, more than 2 weeks till DD release and I have a huge rpg itch
>>
>>321770971
Risen will literally take you good week of non stop playing. Just play Risen 3 as well and actually give it a chance after the fucking prologue and go to Calador or Taranis as your first islands, both are very Gothic-like.
Fog Island is also very much Gothic-like but that's DLC.
Island of thieves is just a comfy small island with jew goblins.
Antigua is where the pirate base used to be in Risen 2 but in Risen 3 it's a giant fucked up demonic post apocalyptic shithole.
Tacarigua is half Inqusition and half fucked up just as Antigua.
Skull Island (endgame) is a Undead and Demons: The Island.
Kila is the only bad island in the game where it's all niggers, spiders and voodoo shit.

There is literally no pirate shit at all in this game beyond you having a pirate ship and there being shipwrecked pirates on Kila which aren't even part of the main plot and only have like 4-5 sidequests for you.
>>
Is there a job system in Risen? If so, what should I roll? What is the most fun?
>>
>>321771606
I might buy it again then if I like Risen, since I refunded Risen 3. Also, is Morrowind playable nowadays or it aged like milk?
>>
>>321771618
Gothic and Risen games don't have jobs or classes.
They're like real life.
You learn shit from other people.
Want to learn smithing? Find a smith who will teach you basics.
Want to work a better metal? Well find a more skilled smith.
Want to know how to sneak and shit? Better fucking find a Thief that will want to teach you, for a price.
Same with combat and so on.
And you also get actual verbal instructions when gaining skills instead of just "GZ HERE'S YOUR NEW SKILL".
>>
>>321771793
Morrowind aged like milk and in my opinion was always shit in comparison to Gothic.
Gothic literally has no loading screens beyond entering this one big story area in the mines. Morrowind has loading screens for every fucking house and shit.
Gothic has a world that actually feels alive, a fuckton of houses with people that have daily routines that aren't just wake up, sit in this spot, go sleep.
The way I see it Elder Scrolls just can't compare with Gothic.
>>
>>321767508
You're in for some fun and a good game. If by nostalgia you mean gothic, then yes, you will definetely like it.
But this only applies to Risen 1. Not 2 and 3.
>>
Any other huge dont's beside visiting the monastery too early?
>>
>>321771959
>>321772112
That sounds amazing, really. I fucking hate TES leveling system, and the npc routines in skyrim for example were barely existent. Im 30 mins in Risen and I liking it so far. The world looks comfy and Gothic-like, and the combat is a bit clunky but seems fun too. Thanks anon >>321772124 I hope I enjoy the ride and it keeps me pumped until DD is out
>>
>>321772524
Just remember to actually give R3 a chance beyond the shitty fucking linear tutorial.
>>
>>321772631
Sure. I'll pirate it this time. If i like the first few hours after the tutorial, I'll get it before the sales end. Thanks anon you're a cool guy
>>
>>321773083
Just make sure to pirate the enhanced edition which has better visuals. Remember my tip about going to Calador or Taranis first.
>>
Friendly reminder that Risen completely falls apart after Chapter 1.
>>
>>321773552
Sounds like someone was too casual to handle lizardmen.
>>
>>321773610
Nah man I finished Risen a couple of times, but the first chapter is just so much better than the rest of the game.

btw OP if the town seems to be too hard go to the rebel camp and do their quests first
>>
>>321773083
If I may also recommend another game, Divinity Original Sin (EE) and Divinity 2 Developer's Cut are also solid games though the first one is a top town RPG with turn based combat and the latter is ARPG.
>>
>>321773758
I agree with you that it's better but I wouldn't say it falls apart.
I actually enjoyed all that funky lizardmen architecture underground cities and all those secrets and puzzles they've got.
>>
>>321773298
>>321773758
Thanks for both your advices anon I'll keep them in mind
>>321773856
I enjoyed pillars of eternity a lot, will I enjoy this one as well? The visuals look quite good
>>
>>321774306
Divinity Original Sin is in my opinion better in every single way. Just remember that the classes aren't really classes, they're just presets.
If press the customize button at char creation you can pick everything yourself.
>>
>>321774598
Will definitely check it out, i love top down crpgs, grew up with baldurs gate
>>
>>321774598
Classes dictate your starting gear, otherwise there is no difference
>>
>>321774897
Then you should have no problems in loving Original Sin as long as you don't mind third person combat.
>>
HELP ANONS. That fucking boar is fucking my shit up. How do I git gud?
>>
>>321775019
Starting gear which becomes literally usless after first 15 minutes when you enter the tutorial dungeon.

>>321775051
Learn to dodge and don't pick fights with enemies you aren't ready yet for. Real life boar would fuck you up too if you didn't know how to get around it.
>>
>>321775149
Can I counter its attacks somehow?
>>
>>321775339
No. Dodge and attack after it finishes its own attack animation. It's that simple. Just learn the timing.
>>
>training up sword fighting to the point you can wield a fucking 2-hander as a 1-handed weapon

Risen was fucking amazing
>>
Just be warned that if you do certain quests in the wrong order it will be impossible to progress in the game. I don't remember what quests those are since it was so long ago I played this but you whould look it up before playing.
>>
>>321775531
This is bullshit anon, there is no such thing as wrong order or impossible to progress.
>>
>>321775531
I think I had to use a console command once in the game because it wouldn't let me into the arena for some reason like some guy was supposed to give me someting and he didn't was a long time ago though.
That's the only gamebreaking bug I found.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.