[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games Journalism and Reviews
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: _1351883769.gif (2 MB, 400x225) Image search: [Google]
_1351883769.gif
2 MB, 400x225
Isn't there some criteria that could define a great game? That would be much better than listening to these children whine about how they don't like broccoli while never having tried it in cheese dishes.
>>
>>321760106
Is it fun?
Does it push SJW agenda?

If yes to first question and no to second question, then it is a good game.
>>
File: 4352651879.png (635 KB, 1017x956) Image search: [Google]
4352651879.png
635 KB, 1017x956
>>321760237
Fag.
>>
>>321760237
Literally anyone could make an argument that any game in existence is either of those things.

You could do it for Pong. And I wish I was fucking joking, but I know someone could do it.
>>
Does the admoney pay for your living?

Then it's a really great game.

;^)
>>
File: Bugs Fucking Bunny.jpg (33 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Bugs Fucking Bunny.jpg
33 KB, 400x400
When I was in middle school all the way untill highschool and even every now and then at uni I always hear some autistic kid/neck beard/weaboo faggot say that their plans for the future are to either become a video game developer or a game journalist as if that was even a real job.
>>
>>321760237
>Does it push SJW agenda?
So basically anything with a female character as a main character?

People have really made a 360 on this whole thing
>10 years ago
>female lead
>"Ugh, playing as a girl? What a fag!"
>now
female lead
>"Ugh, playing as a girl? What SJWs shit!"
>>
It depends entirely on what you're looking for. Is this seat a good vegetable? Is this car a good helicopter?

There are many biases and expectations that people have about how games should work. We all know the basic WASD control method how FPS's work or the controller equivalent. If a game works differently to these basic expectations, we see them as bad rather than just different.

Are you playing games to be entertained for a long time or are you interested in short narrative driven games? Are you "masochistic" and want to play hard games? Do you have a completely different way to look at games?
>>
>>321760483
>as if that was even a real job.
Define "real job"they're paid for a service, they clearly provide it in such a quality as to meat their employer's standards. Just because the standards are so low for what they do doesn't make it any less of a job.
>>
>>321760698
>>321760432
>>321760450
Quit feeding the troll ya idiots
>>
>>321761013
>meat their employer's standards

Get out, polygon writers.
>>
>>321761013
It's not something I'd put on my resume and expect to be taken seriously
>>
>>321761137
I'm just hungry.

>>321761153
if it's between that and having nothing on your resume I'm willing to bet you would.
>>
>>321760483
>tfw that was me
>tfw i actually am a vidya journalist now

are you triggered?
>>
>>321760106
Just look to discussion boards if you want to see people talk about game quality. For things like games, critical reviews can't compare to impressions from people who play on their own time.

I think games are too complicated and varied to so strictly define criteria for what makes one great.
>>
>>321761863
Congratulations mate you get paid to talk about video games I envy you, I really do.
>>
>>321762348
it's a really simple thing to do

really, most of the time the actual journalists are just playing games with friends or relaxing if they aren't writing

but then there's the old faggots that try to push in every little fact about themselves into articles (see polygon and kotaku, etc)

>>321762473
>>321762362
are you having trouble posting, nigga?
>>
File: n6ubug3LsQ1s9bv8lo1_250.gif (1009 KB, 199x104) Image search: [Google]
n6ubug3LsQ1s9bv8lo1_250.gif
1009 KB, 199x104
>>321760998
Everybody agrees that Skyrim's and Minecraft's combat are awful. We can agree on this without having discussed it much because it's fucking obvious. That click happens that "this isn't very engaging".

There's a basis to that -- obviously so because it's so common. We know that 1 potential input combination is literally the same thing over and again. It can't even be mentally roleplayed or announcer-voiced to make it seem cool. We also know that 2 potential inputs, for some games a light and heavy attack, could provide slightly more (2 buttons, 2 deep is 4 combinations -- 3 buttons, 3 deep is 9 combos, etc.).

In other words, stop spouting drivel, please.

>>321761909
>I think games are too complicated and varied to so strictly define criteria for what makes one great.
The problem with that is there's no logic for it. There's no reason to say that Mario "is too complicated and varied to define what makes it..", say, better than another platformer.
>>
File: professional journalism.png (3 KB, 315x28) Image search: [Google]
professional journalism.png
3 KB, 315x28
>>321762348
>>321762616

To add to that post...

Game journalism has grown to be more than games, it's about the personalities behind the articles that many "journalists" seem to think actually matter.

Very few writers find some game news and just write up whatever that news is. Now we have fags doing shit like pic related.
>>
>>321762635
>Everybody agrees that Skyrim's and Minecraft's combat are awful. We can agree on this without having discussed it much because it's fucking obvious. That click happens that "this isn't very engaging".

There's a basis to that -- obviously so because it's so common. We know that 1 potential input combination is literally the same thing over and again. It can't even be mentally roleplayed or announcer-voiced to make it seem cool. We also know that 2 potential inputs, for some games a light and heavy attack, could provide slightly more (2 buttons, 2 deep is 4 combinations -- 3 buttons, 3 deep is 9 combos, etc.).

In other words, stop spouting drivel, please.

>make it seem cool

>It depends entirely on what you're looking for
>cool

You're an imbecile.
>>
>>321763056
>It depends entirely on what you're looking for
>cool
> >>321760432
>>
>>321763056
So, everybody is looking for the same thing that so happens to make Skyrim and Minecraft combat seem awful? Sorta the point of the thread.
>>
>>321764116
What the fuck are you on about?

What i mean is that there's no objective way to say one game is shit and the other isn't. It entirely depends upon what you want from a game.
>>
>>321764304
Well, you have yet to provide anything substantial for that idea.
>>
>>321764304
This board pretty well agrees that Skyrim's awful, so..
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.