[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So the Tortanic sank pretty hard in the beginning, but how is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11
File: SWTOR.jpg (658 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SWTOR.jpg
658 KB, 1024x768
So the Tortanic sank pretty hard in the beginning, but how is it now? Worth playing?
>>
still shit.
>>
File: Capture.png (6 KB, 551x104) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
6 KB, 551x104
The critics score vs the user score says alot. Games journalism is pretty dead.
>>
What surprises me is this game still being shilled here.
>>
They actually deformed jedi and sith into fighter/thief/mage classes. Not even bothering to disguise it. It's straight up WoW with lightsabers. This abomination needs to burn.
>>
>This is now a tri-daily thread
Stop.
>>
>>321754852
It's f2p m8fam tbqhm8
>>
>>321754919

it is? must be when i'm asleep then
>>
If you paid for the game when it was still P2P but aren't paying for a sub currently you still have to deal with the same horrible f2p model as a person that never payed for anything.

For me this says everything about this game.
>>
>>321754969
>It's f2p
It isn't. You need to buy additional action bars - around level 20 on most classes you won't have enough bar-slots to put all your abilities in, gimping your ability to compete with others at anything. Without paying you also suffer from dungeon and raid lockouts and can't progress at a pace others can. It's f2p done wrong.
>>
Is this piece of shit still laggy as fuck or have they actually fixed it?
>>
>>321754969
It isnt. You need sub for raiding. Raiding is the only thing this game did good
>>
Everyone is in agreement? SWTOR is the worst f2p game in the market right now and it's not that great of a sub based game either

Has there ever been a game that tried so hard to get so far but in the end THEY OUT FUCKING SKILLED by WoW?
>>
>>321755585
When a game forces you to pay to hide your helmet, even if you bought the game but you aren't currently paying for a monthly sub, you know that you are dealing with a really shit f2p model.
>>
>>321755849
>not knowing that the second the EA logo pops up
>>
It's awful. The f2p model is a complete fuck you towards everyone that doesn't sub. Having to buy additional action bars, equipment licenses, the color matching option, the option to hide your helmet and more. Paying for raid and instance lockouts. It's really sad that people throw money at this too. Furthermore, the design is baffling. They heralded this game has your own Star Wars story that you can play any way you want but then drown you retarded restrictions. Each Jedi class can only use a specific saber. You can't be a Sentinel and use a saber staff. You have to dual wield. Your bounty hunter cant use a rifle or assault cannon. You have to use one pistol or two, depending on your advanced class. Their reasoning behind this was to make it easy to identify what you're facing in pvp. Seriously.
>>
>>321756145
>>321755849

what's this hide your helmet shit
>>
They killed Solid Snake the Jedi Knight while I was away. Who do they think they are, robbing me of the surname Snake? How can I RP as the greatest stealth action hero of all time in space now?
>>
ITT: Faggots who suck at this game
>>
>>321756241
You literally have to pay real money to unlock the option to hide your helmet. On a per-character basis.
>>
>>321756241
What it sounds like. Hats are fucking ugly. If you want the stats but not hide your waifu's face

>Fuck you pay EA
>>
>>321756145
I forgot the easiest way to tell its shit. Both of BioWares founders fucking resigned and left the game industry right after launch. On that note, does anyone know what happened to that fuck, James "We're not going to talk about that today" Olhen? He was everywhere for years up to launch, spewing bullshit and ducking questions but he vanished right at launch too.
>>
>>321754601
It's shit. Free-to-play is impossible past level 15, and there's microtransactions for everything, including hiding your fucking headgear. Oh, and fuck you if you bought the game before, all your character names are taken, your build is busted, your gear is worthless, you don't have access to any of the expansions, and you get no consolation prizes or bonuses worth mentioning for having paid full price for the game.

Oh and fuck you if you want to make a new character, you can't access any of the races.
>>
>>321756241
When you put a head-item in the equipment slot for it the character wears it in the game and for the most part you can't see hair/face anymore because StarWars helmets are often closed or some form of mask. Some people don't like that and want to hide the helmet so the actual character head/hair is visible again - you can't do that without paying because the check-box is disabled.
It just gets mentioned a lot because it's such a ridiculously trivial feature to hind behind a paywall for a supposed "f2p" game.
>>
Well then, looks like I might have been a bit optimistic

But with /v/ there's always the issue of not knowing if it's actually a bad game or if /v/ hates it because that's what /v/ does.
>>
>>321756442
To be fair, the different races were always just different colored humans.
>>
>>321756579
Nope, it's pretty bad. I reinstalled recently to take advantage of the "free max level for previous subscribers" thing, and I got to play for like 20 minutes. Then a big "FUCK YOU PAY ME" thing popped up, and my character is trapped in limbo until I sub or buy the new xpack. It's awful.
>>
>>321756342
Well shitposted, amigo.
>>
>>321756596
The logic was that's it's too hard to relate to most species.
>>
Fucking awful. I recently tried it again by subbing then canceling it immediately for a free 30 days and even when subbed it's ungodly. The Game lacks a lot of quality of life mechanics but the worse fucking thing they have done is completely remove all gear vendors in the game.

It's like I have the patch work armor set king with shit from when I was 12 to 45. Fuck, a guide for gearing pretty much says buy the cheapest adaptive gear you can and just upgrade it since any other gear needs extensive farming.

A lot of things feel ass backwards and awful. The only thing I remotely like Is the support for playing with friends. That's literally it.
>>
>>321756579
Everyone in the thread has generally stated facts. You are fucked hard if you try to play the game without subbing.

There is the tiers
>f2p: You're in the shit. I mean the curry for breakfast, lunch, and dinner shits
>You bought something from cash shop:You're in the dirt. It's good dirt but still, you're in dirt
>Subbing:You're walking on the dirt
>>
>>321754601
it's even worse now. Its peak was just before KOTFE
>>
>>321756668
I got that thing too. The even fool you into thinking that you can play the xpac until the end of the year.

But no, like you said 20 minutes later EA asks for money.
>>
File: bored_miranda.jpg (104 KB, 1400x1024) Image search: [Google]
bored_miranda.jpg
104 KB, 1400x1024
>>321754601
why do you keep making a thread every day?
it's sad.
stop doing it.
stop.
>>
>>321757431
Didn't even make it that far. I reinstalled to check it out but when I logged in and saw that I needed to buy an equipment license I threw that shit right in the trash.
>>
>>321757648
Making a stop shitting on BioWares fuckup post using an image from another BioWare fuckup. How avant garde.
>>
>>321756681
what he probably means is, you can buy the cartel upgrades from galactic market for credits. And credits are easy to get, so even f2p can grind to remove some of those stupid restrictions. It's just not very appealing to me, to have to grind to get some basic shit. I use the free week of sub you get every 3 months to play some story missions, then I'm out.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-28+at+08.53.14).jpg (529 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-28+at+08.53.14).jpg
529 KB, 1920x1080
>>321756596
Which makes it even more ridiculous! There's not even any incentive to BUY the other alien races in this Star Wars game, because even the cosmetic differences between them are almost null. The fact that they've only added two new alien races in the 3 years this game's been released is also telling, considering different "Races" basically just amount to headswaps, with no changes to body or armor. Why is it so hard to have a Mon Calamari head, and replace the dialogue with gobblygook? It would actually be cheaper than hiring a new voice actor.

>>321756805
It's pure laziness. Leave it to the player to decide what they can or cannot relate to.

>>321756579
No anon, I've been trying REALLY hard to get into it again. I haven't played since launch, and I don't like the feel of the other KOTOR games. The game's just fundamentally broken. The story's overrated, the combat is unfun because you have to PAY FOR ADDITIONAL HOTBARS (And this game throws dozens of skills at you.) It's just an overall mediocre MMO, made almost unsufferable because of how the class system works, the race selection, and the awful F2P monitizing.

You also can only fast-travel once every half hour if you're not a sub/preferred. For us, it's 6 minutes. I don't understand the logic behind these changes.
>>
I played it. It's "alright" I guess. I don't really play MMOs. I hate how every quest is the same. The only good part is Theran Cedrax and his digital waifu. Nigga is living the goddamn dream.
>>
>>321757827
it was a stop shilling, not a stop shitting
>>
They even restricted PVP to 3 sessions per week for those that don't pay a sub, even if you spent 60$ when the game got out.

It's a shit f2p model that is a good representation of how crap EA has become.
>>
>>321754852

They've been going at it pretty hard the past week. I wonder if EA's paying them overtime.
>>
>>321758092
It's even more retarded when the Mon Calamari NPCs are reskinned PCs with a Mon Calamari head and forearms.

All they had to do is add some style choices for the face and bam, instant new race.
They said they wouldn't do it though because you need to play something "you can romance with".
So the kings of PC cuckery are specifist fucks. Let this be know. Gay is a-ok but xenos looking things are no go.
>>
>Get the mood to play SW
>Buy KOTOR
>Game keeps crashing
>finally make it through the tutorial
>Get bored, put it down
>Try SWGEmu
>Incredibly dated gameplay, dead servers, almost impossible to play without nostalgia
>Try SWTOR
>gameplay is okay
>Scratching the Star Wars itch
>Game starts nickel and diming you to oblivion
>Classes are awful
>Can't do any of the fun minigames without paying a sub
>Game just makes me depressed in it's mediocrity

Why aren't there any decent SW games out there? Should I just try out The Repopulation? SWG is kind of like EVE, in that the stories you hear about it are incredibly fun and intriguing, but actually trying to get into it is an enormous chore.
>>
>>321758146
My apologies then.
>>
>>321758753
Battlefront 2
>>
>>321758753
Or you can replay Jedi Academy for the Nth time like I did.
>>
>>321758753
I generally end up going back to Jedi Knight 2 or Jedi Academy for my Star Wars fix.
>>
>>321758753
>tfw I know this feel

If you can stomach the awful graphics, the Dark Forces and Jedi Knight games are awesome. The Force Unleashed 1 and 2 are alright if you like brutal force powers that make no sense, but get them on sale. The Star Wars pack is for $23 right now on steam.
>>
>>321758909
>>321758937
Should I get the moviebattles mod first, or just go through the game as it is?

>>321758890
People still play it? How big is the community?
>>
>>321758380
>implying I wouldn't fuck a Mon Calamari
>>
>>321759008
>Should I get the moviebattles mod first, or just go through the game as it is?
Didn't try it, I tried some other revamp and the results were as such:
>Game instantly jumped to jedi traning
>Instead of lightsaber training droid Luke Skywalker attacked me
>Get raped in the anus repeatedly
>Finally manage to knock him down and instakill him with jumping stab
>Finish training, get to choose a mission
>Can't choose force powers to train
And that was the moment I dropped that mod like a rock, it was the most popular one on the moddb too.
>>
Reminder that this game literally killed any chance we ever had of getting KotOR 3.
>>
>>321755230
>You need to buy additional action bars

this cant be true can it, they cant be up there own ass that bad can they?
>>
>>321759392
Just as well. KoTOR's gameplay was garbage.
>>
Why doesn't anyone make a Star Wars game that isn't about Jedi swording or stormtroopers shooting? Christ, I want a TIE Fighter sequel. That one had a story I could take somewhat seriously, without Jedi doing more and more silly stuff with their overblown powers.
>>
>>321756145
>They heralded this game has your own Star Wars story that you can play any way you want but then drown you retarded restrictions. Each Jedi class can only use a specific saber. You can't be a Sentinel and use a saber staff. You have to dual wield. Your bounty hunter cant use a rifle or assault cannon. You have to use one pistol or two, depending on your advanced class. Their reasoning behind this was to make it easy to identify what you're facing in pvp. Seriously.
to me that sounds like basic MMORPG design and balancing, while the "your own star wars story that you can play any way you want" shit sounds like a linear game with a shitty morality system at best
>>
>>321759392
Reminder that they killed SWG for this shit
>>
>>321759443
It's true. It's the thing that it's always used as a good example on how stupid and unfriendly that f2p model is
>>
most people just say play it for the story and nothing else

this game failed for a reason despite having a lot of money put into it
>>
>>321759008
Quite a lot of people still play Battlefront 2 considering how old the game is, quite a dedicated community.
>>
Fuck this game, and fuck pre nge.
swgreborn.com
>>
>>321760471
Okay, but the servers are shut down, right? I just have to pick it up on Steam and download some alternate launcher to play the game correctly?
>>
>>321760031
Because for all the questionable business propositions EA's made so far regarding Star Wars, I'm pretty sure they're not quite at the point of charging users for what amount to backdrops for otherwise featureless playfields. Maybe next year.
>>
File: Comrepehdnable.jpg (561 KB, 2560x1600) Image search: [Google]
Comrepehdnable.jpg
561 KB, 2560x1600
Can anyone confirm or deny whether pay2sprint was ACTUALLY a thing?
>>
>>321760940
I think you just needed to be level 10 to sprint if you weren't subbed. Not sure though because I just went back to play during the 2xEXP event and my level 5 jedi could sub and I'm playing p2p right now.
>>
>>321761093
Sorry. *could sprint
>>
>>321760231
Smed killed SWG. This just helped dispose of the body.
>>
>>321760680
I just launch the game and look in the server browser, I can see them.
>>
>>321760048
And I agree with you to a point but I just think they really shit the bed.
>>
>>321754601
It got pretty good for the fans and it never "sunk". It was in top 10 played and profit making mmos in 2013 or so.
>>
>>321754760
And buttmad /v/irgins screaming WE WON WE SUNK THE TORTANIC is not bad?
>>
>>321760231
>>321761208
NGE killed SWG.
>>
File: ss+(2015-12-27+at+01.02.35).jpg (23 KB, 777x88) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2015-12-27+at+01.02.35).jpg
23 KB, 777x88
>>321762389
You can only do 3 space missions a week.
The best part of the game
3 a week.
THREE FIVE MINUTE LONG MISSIONS
A WEEK.

There's nowhere else to sink when you've already hit rock bottom.
>>
>>321762389
it's worse now you cant have a thread about any mmo without idiots screaming about how it's going to be the new tortanic
>>
>>321758937
jedi knight 2 was so gud but I can't w8 to level 6 or whatever it was to get a fucking light sabre. gimme now asshole
>>
>>321758753
SW games were kind of a dead "genre" for the past 10 years because people burned themselves out in the years preceding that. I mean there must have been dozens of star wars video games in the years preceding and succeeding the releases of the prequel trilogy.

honestly I have no doubt that the new movies will spark some great games, just gotta wait for them to arrive now.
>>
>people recommending JKA
It really wasn't good beyond the single player, the hitboxes and damage values are fucked and the default blocking system is shit.
>>
>>321762482
Which Smed is responsible for.
>>
>>321763068
EA still holds the rights for games so good luck on that wait.
>>
File: 1422045746323.jpg (73 KB, 468x570) Image search: [Google]
1422045746323.jpg
73 KB, 468x570
>>321754601
>that F2P model
I mean why? One fucking character? Can't equips certain item tiers? Why even bother?
>>
>>321763734
You get to play the full story per class, which is the only reason to play.
>>
>>321763734
People are retards and will pay for whatever you want them to.
>>
>>321763867
If you consider how much of a failure this game is, no they won't.
>>
>>321758263
They probably are with Andromeda on the way. The viral marketing firms they hire to do this shit use bots though. Just like those bot created Kotaku threads that keep showing up here.
>>
>>321763841
>story

if i wanted story id play chinese cartoon games

its star wars i want jedi knights
>>
>>321754601
You shouldn't play it as f2p because its business model is horse shit.
And you shouldn't pay a subscription because in the end it's just a mediocre wow clone.
>>
>>321763980
I respectfully disagree. As much as I hate this game for being a colossal disappointment, it is still successful in the financial sense. People throw money at the unlocks and Cartel market like there's no tomorrow just to customize their characters. They'll pay to hide an ugly helmet or match their outfit colors or for an additional appearance tab.
>>
>>321763980

>swtor
>failure

Kek
Its one of the top mmorpgs right behind wow

Everytime its just obsidrones and poorfags shitposting the game.
>>
>>321764065
But now you can be a jedi knight who saaaaveeees the galaxy. At reduced movement speed and xp gain who can't equip epic equipment. Anyone who wants to play should just pay for a month during 12x xp event and breeze through every class story in that time. You're not missing much outside it.
>>
File: god has forsaken us.jpg (30 KB, 327x323) Image search: [Google]
god has forsaken us.jpg
30 KB, 327x323
>>321764430
>>321764575
Seriously? Oh god what happened to the MMO market?
>>
>>321764638
but what if i want to be a jedi knigktht who wrecks pussy, can i be that
>>
>>321761256
I just bought the game and checked the online. I can't make a gamespy account, and there are no lobbies at all. What gives?
>>
>>321764575
Sweet /v/ buzzwords go fuck your dad.
>>
>>321764768
Gamespy is dead nigga
>>
>>321764768

Gamespay dead, thats what gives
>>
File: worry.png (390 KB, 686x686) Image search: [Google]
worry.png
390 KB, 686x686
>>321764840
>>321764850
s-so how do I play the game?
>>
>>321764717
lack of innovations
>>
>>321764717
WOW unleashed an army of casuals and special snowflakes that demand to be catered to.
>>
>>321764790

>buzzwords

Not really
Look at every swtor thread
90% of posts are poorfags complaining who cant pay 15$ and have to play f2p
>>
File: Kira_Carsen.png (1 MB, 852x936) Image search: [Google]
Kira_Carsen.png
1 MB, 852x936
>>321764741
If you play your cards right.
>>
>>321764896
I don't know if Steam servers work, but the Gamespy servers obviously won't.
>>
>>321764768
Use gameranger. a lot of people still play battlefront 2 with that server browser. Just make sure you mute gameranger in your audio mixer or else you'll get adds squeeling in your ear and maximum volume.
>>
>>321764896
when /v/ plays they use a private server on gameranger
>>
I installed the game recently and decided to give it a try, the first impression was that 80% of the races were behind a paywall
I uninstalled and never bothered touching the game again
>>
>>321764896
See this
>>321765178
>>
>>321764979
Pretty sure it's people that refuse to give their money to such a shit product.
>>
>>321765357

Not really
They cant pay and thats it

>shit product

You see, then they wouldnt want to play at all and wouldnt care to complain or even mention it

But they want to play and like it
But cant afford 15$ so they are whjning because they are forced the shitty f2p version
>>
>>321765608
There is nothing in the starting exoerience that convinced me to buy the game or even play it.
It seems really shallow with a shitty ui and plays like every wow clone on the market
>>
>>321765959
>F2p
>starting experience
>same as any other wow clone

You didnt even play it
>>
>>321766113
It is the exact same shit, gcd city with 4 action bars and boring priority rotations with a gimmick
But please elaborate how swtor is better or even different then the wow clones
>>
>>321758753
>>321758909
>>321758937

Can we all agree that Jedi Knight 2 might possibly be the single greatest representation of the original trilogy ever?
>>
>>321765608
Damage control hard.

The f2p version should entice people to play the full game though. And subs are outdated anyway even if you have the money. You're basically committing to the game on the hopes that it gets better than the shitty "f2p" version with 180 bucks a year. I hope you also defend psplus and xbox live since it effects more things and gives you more stuff than a single game at a third of the price.
>>
File: 1448942875727.jpg (44 KB, 597x336) Image search: [Google]
1448942875727.jpg
44 KB, 597x336
>want to play Kotor
>remember that I choose Scoundrel
>lvl 8
>jedi guardian lvl 1
>see a thread few days ago
>should have stopped leveling at lvl 4
>>
>>321766857
>min-maxing in a singleplayer game
How's autism been treating ya?
>>
>>321767062
Dunno, that's what everyone keeps saying for new players.
>>
>>321767179
Never heard of that before nor does it matter. The game is not hard and can be cheesed pretty easy if you get stuck.
>>
>>321767179
KOTOR isn't a hard game, don't sweat it. There's no need to go full autist on your character.
>>
>>321762389
>>321762554
You sound butthurt
>>
>>321768081
>>321769158
Nice, gonna go back to it then.
>>
>>321758753
the repopulation is dead as fuck right

they are having problems with idea fabrik

servers are shut down
>>
>>321769342
Just don't try to be an jack of all trades. I never had luck being melee/force hybrid. Pick one extreme or the other.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.