[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Fallout 1/2/Tactics worth playing? Have they aged well?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3
File: 1087-0-1447769641.jpg (766 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
1087-0-1447769641.jpg
766 KB, 1680x1050
Is Fallout 1/2/Tactics worth playing? Have they aged well?
>>
>>321744090
theyre fine

just be sure to patch it first
you dont want to ruin a run with a game breaking bug or lose saves
>>
>>321744090
They are fine.

Fallout Tactics 2 never...
>>
File: 1451182373637.gif (232 KB, 321x504) Image search: [Google]
1451182373637.gif
232 KB, 321x504
1 and 2 are good, if you have never played isometric RPGs I don't think you will have a pleasant time.

haven't played tactics
>>
File: 1449452138559.png (861 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449452138559.png
861 KB, 1920x1080
>>321744090
>Have they aged well?
>>
Is New Vegas worth playing? Has it aged well?
>>
>>321744090
Like whine.
Get it from gog. With all the mods and ui adjustments.
>>
I just played them for the first time, finished 2 just today in fact.

As long as you're okay with isometric gameplay, and have some patience, you'll have a great time.

There are comprehensive guides on the Fallout wiki that might help you out if you're feeling lost. I wouldn't let it handhold you all the way, but it might be a good idea to look at the character creation guide to make a good character so you don't screw yourself up somehow.
>>
>>321744090
dunno about tactics but I first played 1 and 2 a couple weeks ago and they were great
>>
>>321745660
Fallout 4 didn't age well
>>
>>321744090
>Tactics
Play Wastelands instead.
>>
>>321745607
Thats a legit question , the market is filled shitty 2d my brother's 80s big ass mario pixels indie games im not supprised fallout 1/2/tactics still stand well against time.

And i wonder why these days kiddes under 10 wears huge ass glasses, their reason is either being hip or seeing too much ugly pixels or both. >>321745660
>>
>>321746502

>2015
>unable to go prone

Lel
>>
>>321746502
Tactics is great you double nigger
>>
>>321744090
2 is so broken that I got stuck right at the part where I needed to put fuel to the tanker. I put in an unofficial patch but I haven't checked to see if it fixes the problem.

Good but very flawed games. 1 is better than 2. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 1 has much better pacing, a better story, less stupidity for the dialogue, no talking death claws, and a cool final boss. 2 simply has more quests and more weapons. Some quests are definitely cool though. Combat is nothing to write home about for any of these games.

Proceed with caution imho senpai.
>>
>>321744090
I've only played F1, and even though I liked it. It's pretty darn casual compared to other CRPG's of the time. Like, don't expect another BG2 or PS:T.
>>
>>321746786
>pacing
hello reddit
>>
>>321746786
Pacing is personal perspective, fggot.
You can just speed run it like a nigger stealing stuff or buff up and go guns blazing.

So what is this pacing you're talking about ?
>>
>>321747045
>>321747174
>pacing
a rate of activity, progress, growth, performance, etc.; tempo.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132415/examining_game_pace_how_.php

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LScL4CWe5E

Fallout 2 is way too open for a non open world game. The game lacks direction badly. Meanwhile 1 has much more solid pacing to it. You cannot speedrun a game you never played.

How about learn the word before shooting off the mouth or in this case keyboard like you two did?
>>
>>321747045
>>321747174
>>321747628
So you want more examples of Fallout 2's poor pacing?
>>
>>321747628
>The game lacks direction badly
>Reddit: The post
If you pay attention to the dialogues you would know what's going on.
>>
They're good games and worth playing. The UI and inventory management is clunky though.
>>
>>321744090
Garbage. Don't bother with them. It is also a hastle to make them work on modern OS.
>>
If you can get past the clunky interface then yes, the gameplay holds up very well. At higher resolutions the graphics are nice looking too.
>>
>>321746815
Casual in what sense? PS:T is one of the easier CRPGs of that era. Especially since no one gives a shit about the combat and uses a Nameless One with 18 Wisdom.
>>
>>321745118
TRAITOR
>>
>>321747782
You really aren't understanding where I am coming from are you? Considering you made yet another "reddit" post about my posts I'm willing to bet you don't get it at all.

In comparison to Fallout 1, 2 has much poorer pacing then Fallout 1. How about watch that video I provided you at least so you get it?

Let's take survival horror example the video gave. Resident Evil 2 is a very loved game within the genre. This is because the games pacing is absolutely solid in every regard. You are a cop (or Claire) and suddenly there is a massive zombie outbreak. You get split up from each other in a car crash. You are told to head to the police station. In the police station you eventually find each other again. The game while short is always progressing in a manner that engages the person. You go from the streets to the police station to the sewers and finally to the lab. The game being short probably really helped it to have such great pacing as well.

Now Doom 3 (a game I still like) is a perfect example of poorer pacing. As the video pointed out, the game exhausts it's scares by putting in way too many ambushes and jump scares. Much of the levels look the same and the only real objective through most of the levels is getting to the next area. The story is mainly done through the pda's. It's really just an action horror shooter with samey feeling levels and constant action that doesn't really change up that much. This is a game with poor pacing.
>>
>>321748285
>You really aren't understanding where I am coming from are you?
how would i understand somebody that came from reddit?
>>
>>321747867
The Steam versions run fine on Windows 10.
>>
>>321748285
Go back to Reddit you faggot.
>>
>>321744090
Only Obsidian game worth playing is New Vegas, don't bother with 1/2/Tactics. They are utter shit and commercial failures. The company (Interplay/Obsidian) had to sell their ip to Bethesda to reboot and save the series, the series got popular and successful from Fallout 3 and onwards.
>>
I want 2fags to leave
>>
>>321748361
>>321748419
Now you clowns are just baiting. Not my fault I made you two look foolish.
>>
>>321747867
>It is also a hastle to make them work on modern OS.
The GOG version has always ran fine, and now both the Steam and GOG versions come with Sfall and the hi-res patch, so they both should work without issue.

I just installed Fallout 2 from GOG's client and aside from updating the sfall version myself, didn't need to do a thing. I didn't even need to update sfall, I just wanted to.
>>
>>321748561
>I was merely pretending you uneducated swines
*picks up fedora* Sir, I think you lost it.
>>
>>321748561
dank memes, bro
>>
>>321747628
>Fallout 2 is way too open for a non open world game
What. You can access most of the world right after leaving Arroyo. What's the secret open world sauce you find lacking?
>>
>>321748561
>you clowns
Don't say no when i put dick in your mouth you mime.
>>
I bought Fallout 1, played for 1 hour, refunded. I never played games like this before and it felt like too much of a chore to get used to the controls.
>>
Be aware that Fallout 1's UI is shit and extremely awkward.

Besides that it's cool.
>>
>>321750245
I'm sorry.
>>
>>321749928
It isn't just that it is open anon. Your character isn't really given much to go on about where to find the geck or vault 13. You are simply told to "go out there somewhere and find it somehow." The problem with this is when you go to all the towns, they have no idea where any of this is themselves. In some cases they demand you do a quest for them before they tell you.

A good example of this is Modoc. You are told by the black mayor that he will refuse to help you until you help the town. You then have to go find out about the ghost farm. Eventually you can choose to help the people of Modoc by killing those at Ghost Farm. Then what happens after you give your end of the bargain? The guy feels bad about what Modoc did and refuses to answer your questions.

Look I wouldn't just say the game has pacing issues for the hell of it. I damn sure wouldn't have given a couple long posts if I didn't actually mean it has pacing issues. The game has a lot of pacing problems in regards to the main story. Where as with 1 you have a much more solid direction on where to go and what to do. In 2 it feels like you get dragged into doing meaningless crap all because people got problems they want you to take care of. Quite often they don't give you much to go on either. Unless you had an insanely high charisma/intelligence and speech.

Now take into account what I said in addition to the random difficulty spikes and 2 is just simply not as engaging as 1 is. Sure opinions but I find it hard to argue that 2 has better pacing than 1 in any way.
>>
>>321749928
>>321750517
And here is another example in regards to story. The enclave for a lot of the game is a pretty mysterious group. You don't find out a lot about them until (remember let's take an average persons first playthrough into account here) much later in the game. Since 2 is much larger/longer than 1 we are talking a lot more time into the game. With 1 the evil cult feels as if it has much more presence in the world then the Enclave does. They are creating mutants, this is a problem. The enclave seems more as if they are just there. The cult from 1 feels much more like an immediate threat.
>>
>>321750517
I have no stake in your pacing argument, I'm asking about F2 being non-open world.
>>
>>321750814
>The enclave seems more as if they are just there
Which is logical, because while the president has a big plan, he hasn't put it into action yet. The point of the game is to slowly see more and more of the Enclave, until at the very end you go to their base to fuck them up before they do some really nasty shit.
Your main gripe with the game is that it deals with politics a lot more than with the extinction of the human race.
>>
>>321750816
Yes it isn't an open world game correct. Yet the games progression gives a "feel" as if it is an open world game in it's entirety when it's not. I simply see that as a problem. Especially when so much of the game is simply not interesting.
>>
>>321750517
>killing those at Ghost Farm

I hope you killed them fully knowing you don't actually have to kill them to complete the quest.
>>
>>321744090
I beat 1&2 just recently, I was pretty damn bored to be honest. I'm pretty critical of all games these days though.
>>
>>321750992
Just because it makes sense in the context of the game doesn't mean it is necessarily a good thing for the games design. I definitely get what you mean though and that makes sense but just because it makes sense doesn't mean I have to like it.

As for the last sentence no that isn't how I feel. It's a huge shame the Brotherhood of Steel are pretty much nothing as well.

To me the whole game just feels so rushed and unfinished in a lot of ways. I think they should have aimed to make a shorter game like 1. Some of the politics in 2 is interesting. Like how towns now rely on each other far more.
>>
>>321751080
Yes I did know that. It's a shame F2 goes out of it's way to punish asshole play styles when at the same time it encourages you to do so in virtually every single conversation.

It almost seems like a bunch of edgy middle school teens wrote the bulk of it. Maybe just not the smarter details of the game.
>>
>>321751238
>just because it makes sense doesn't mean I have to like it
True.
I acknowledge your arguments too, but I still think Fallout 2 is a better game. Sure, it's less dark than 1, but I love the amount of content in the game. I'm not the "quantity over quality" guy, it's just that all of the content in 2 was pretty good. More places, more weapons, more content in general.
Also I love how places are interesting thanks to its NPCs and the situations in the town, they aren't hotspot locations like places in Fallout 3 (Look, this town is built around a nuclear bomb! And this one lives in a rusty ship! And this one has only kids!)
>>
>>321744090
Play Fallout 1. Take 10 Agility no matter what, Gifted trait is what you want 90% of the time. Specialize and don't be stupid. If you don't build for combat avoid combat like your life depends on it, which it actually does.

Fallout is a 10/10 game that can be hard to get into because modern games can put a lot of stupid habits into your head that can make an old style rpg seem awkward or hard. It's actually very easy once you get a feel for it and there's a decent chance that you'll pick a broken build without realizing it if you take Gifted.
>>
Played 1/2, they are good once few restoration patches and mods are applied. tictacs did not click to me, did not bother with all "crawl/hide/run" shit
>>
>>321751034
I am asking you for the 3rd time how is it not open world. Don't just state is as a fact again.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.