[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people act like this series is good? Shit, there are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2
File: FF1 logo ORIGIN--article_image.jpg (30 KB, 602x247) Image search: [Google]
FF1 logo ORIGIN--article_image.jpg
30 KB, 602x247
Why do people act like this series is good?

Shit, there are tons of other RPG series better than this.
>>
Because it was one of the first accessible JRPGs introduced to mainstream gamers and Dragon Quest didn't really take off here.
>>
Like Undertale.
>>
>>321742019
>Dragon Quest

Call me pleb all you like, but I've always preferred Final Fantasy. At least with FF you get varied aesthetics with every entry instead of "Good morning, Crono" all day, every day.
>>
>>321741538
>Shit, there are tons of other RPG series better than this.
Name 50.
>>
>>321742137
Its appeal is almost purely nostalgiabait as far as Japanese advertisers are concerned. DQ's success is mostly an economical one: it brought the broad strokes of Ultima and Wizardry to a system anyone could use. Folks who didn't know any better were impressed by how innovative it seemed and how new features were added in each game (which were commonplace in western RPGs at the time), like party members, job classes, chapters with changing protagonists, dual worlds, etc.

Final Fantasy was at direct competition with DQ and arguably did a better job from living in its shadow. From a purely technical standpoint, I don't think anyone would really disagree that FF games were better.
>>
In a lot of ways this was the Tetris is the genre, lasting the groundwork for games even to this day(for better is worse).

This and Dragon Warrior were the first really big JRPGs of the time, very expensive and difficult to find, and while it was niche, it was still very popular to newcomers. Nostalgia, sure, but at the time pretty new and exciting. A story that could be played in a video game? Hells yeah!

Incidentally, many people seem to forget the visually and technically better Phantasy Star. That game was hard as fuck, and there were some spots that were game breaking, but those seeing those dungeons for the first time was pretty killer.
>>
>>321741538
>Shit, there are tons of other RPG series better than this.
then go play them
>>
You know it is nostalgia when the fans identify Final Fantasy with "turn-based-combat", like the series invented it.
>>
>>321742707
I mostly disagree because Final Fantasy suffers from trying new things too quickly. They aren't really good at refinement in their systems. Class system might be the one thing they are good at since they go back to it every so often (FF3, 5, X-2) where FF13 might be the worse of the class system of Final Fantasy (that I have played). All the while Dragon Quest kept it's core gameplay and just add small things around it. Like a class system in 3, monster recruitment in 5, ect which were much more impactful than anything Final Fantasy really gave to the table.

Really the thing that makes Final Fantasy "better" is that it's always had a bigger production value than any other JRPG. No Japanese JRPG had as much money and effort put into a series to my knowldge.
>>
>>321744014
>FF13 might be the worse of the class system of Final Fantasy
To be honest I believe that if there's a redeeming factor in 13, it's in his combat system. What ruined the game was poor enemy and level design, but I sincerely think the guys that made the combat were geniuses.

You can see it in those few challenging combats in the game: you have a combat system that's far, far less focused on individual commands and more on an overall party strategy, I wouldn't even call it a class system. Buffs, Debuffs, timing with the paradigms are all things you should keep in mind and for once you actually feel the effects of such status effects. It's also really exhilarating when you have to save yourself by changing a paradigm at the last moment in order to abuse its passives.

I like to think XIII is the game that wanted to "fix" jrpgs, by eliminating most of the things that seem a bit out of place, like grinding. The result though was less than stellar and yet as the years passed by I forgave it a lot.
>>
>>321744403
What I mean is how they really implemented the system than the system itself. I agree that FF13 might have been the best in the series regarding buffs and debuffs. But by the time the systems opened up you already are 3 classes in. So you would never really make one character a mage if you aren't really in one of those classes. So giving you the choice to pick their progression was one of the worse ideas in that game.

It's like they wanted to give you classes while also make you play as all the different characters but couldn't balance those two out at the start. There's a lot of good ideas in FF13 but nothing came together well enough to make me like it.
>>
>>321741538
Then play them and shut the fuck up.
>>
Give me a decent JRPG with a job system as versatile and interesting as Final Fantasy V

No, seriously. I'd kill for one. Already played BD
>>
>>321744813
Dragon Quest 7
>>
>>321744667
>So you would never really make one character a mage if you aren't really in one of those classes.
Oh yes, absolutely, I agree.

Probably, what killed FFXIII was the fear people would be unable to "get" how to play the game.
>>
>>321744747
This guy gets it.
>>
>>321741538
Last one I played was X-2. Loved it.
Played 15 minutes of 13 and never touched the series again.
>>
>>321741538

Why do we have to act like we care about your shitty taste in kusoges?
>>
>>321745067
I'm just saying that Dragon Quest while more or less stayed the same in it's core its small changes had a much bigger impact than anything Final Fantasy did. The only really thing FF had over Dragon Quest is money to flood the west with ads. Which is why to the west the first series that comes to mind with JRPG is FF while in Japan its Dragon Quest.
>>
>>321745167
Isn't it a bit extreme to drop the entire series because you didn't like one chapter of it?
>>
>>321745341
No
>>
I don't even really consider FF a series
each game is so different from each other they might as well be individual IPs

each entry in the franchise has something anyone can like or hate
>>
>>321741538
Because even the lowest tier FFs are great games.

There's also a high variety within the series so if you absolutely hate a certain game you can find others that you like. Contrast with other series that stick to their style.
>>
I am now playing FFX for the first time. It's shaping up to be one of my all-time favorite games, hands-down.
>>
>>321741538
FF is the only JRPG series with ambition.
>>
>>321748004
One thing I'll always forgive FF for is because the reason it fucks up so badly is because it tries to innovate. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's shit, but it never stops trying.
>>
File: 1440397110000.jpg (34 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1440397110000.jpg
34 KB, 400x400
>>321748004
What is ambition good for if it has no heart?
>>
>>321749390
This
The problem is the fanbase that since a fan has a favorite game he wants all games to be like that which leads into a vicious cycle of fans of one game vehemently hating the others for not being like their favorite while new fans come in and bash older games for not being like the older ones
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.