[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did anyone get this game? Id it as good as the others, or is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5
File: large.jpg (180 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
180 KB, 1000x500
Did anyone get this game?
Id it as good as the others, or is it just a
cash grab now that M&L is profitable?

Also Mario RPG Thread
>>
Is Paper Jam 26-days-of-waiting good? Or okay-but-just-forget-about-it-until-you-see-it-on-/v/-again-in-a-month good?
>>
I'm really kinda disappointed that the villain is just bowser. Both series are known for their creative new villains but this is just bowser again.
>>
>>321729280
It has the best combat out of all the M&L games. That said, the overworld is dull and there are too many minigames.

It's about a 7/10 for me.
>>
>>321730535
>I'm really kinda disappointed that the villain is just bowser. Both series are known for their creative new villains but this is just bowser again.

Bowser was the main villain in Paper Mario 64, and was one of the main villains in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. This isn't new.
>>
Haven't played, but read a lot. Apparently combat is best but overworld is meh.

Let's be frank, they aren't making any OC shit anymore. It's all just quirky references to everyone having a paper doppelgänger and the occasional shitting on Luigi. If you play for the challenge, it might be up your alley. If you're looking for a good story, look elsewhere.
>>
File: Bowser_Jr_-_Paper_jr_MLPJ.png (2 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
Bowser_Jr_-_Paper_jr_MLPJ.png
2 MB, 1800x1800
>>321729280
It's alright. You'll have to accept that they've traded new characters and settings for better development of existing characters and more straight forward settings. Whether that change is worth it is probably going to depend on what you like in the game series to begin with.

No new characters sucks, but they've got the koopaling's talking, Peach and Paper Peach being coy, Bowser and Paper Bowser being rowdy, Kamek and Paper Kamek being funny, and Bowser Jr. and Paper Bowser Jr. friggin' adorable.

On the other hand, no M&L game has had settings this stock, or with so very few NPCs. Ultimately, get it for yourself to decide.
>>
>>321730734
He didn't say it was new fuckface. Why so eager to defend unoriginality?
>>
>>321730923
I'm just pointing it out there. People think every Mario RPG from now on is going to be more traditional, and even Paper Jam does a good job with what it does work with. The last Mario RPG prior to this, had a new original villain as well. They're not going to stop making new villains after this game.
>>
>>321731092
>They're not going to stop making new villains after this game.
Again, never implied. Doesn't change that doing it in this game is still doing it.

And let's be real, the only reason this game exists is because AD were tired as fuck after making all of those sprites for DT and realized they could get away with reusing assets if they combined them with assets from another already existing game and sprinkled just a tiny bit of new content on top of it all.
>>
What's your rating of M&L games?
for me it's
BIS>SSS>DT>>PiT
?PJ?
>>
>>321731601
SSS>BIS>DT>PJ
Never played PiT
>>
>>321731549
>And let's be real, the only reason this game exists is because AD were tired as fuck after making all of those sprites for DT and realized they could get away with reusing assets if they combined them with assets from another already existing game and sprinkled just a tiny bit of new content on top of it all.

A lot of games reuse assets. Majora's Mask reuses assets from Ocarina of Time. Galaxy 2 reuses assets from Galaxy 1, etc. That doesn't mean they're bad for doing so.

>>321731549
>Doesn't change that doing it in this game is still doing it.

That is true. But they did do a good job with it, at the very least.
>>
>>321731710
>Never played PiT
It had that problem where a game lasts way too long while not offering anything new. Pretty boring by the end of it.
>>
>>321731092
>The last Mario RPG prior to this, had a new original villain as well
who jobbed, so that Bowser could be the final boss fight

and Sricker Star didnt even bother with a new villain. They literally just threw a mute Bowser at us

Its painfully obvious that Nintendo wants to reign in the Mario RPGs and make them as close to the bland NSMB-ified formula as possible. Its gross that anybody would defend this.
>>
>>321731792
>But they did do a good job with it, at the very least.
I don't doubt it. Even when AD fucks up there's always a saving grace in some form or another. And I don't blame them about the assets, I've seen the sprite sheets and they're fucking insane.

I'm just pissed about a lot of scattered issues, mainly the overworld and the lack of any new monsters. I love seeing the enemy designs in these games.
>>
File: bowser's castle.jpg (484 KB, 1800x1330) Image search: [Google]
bowser's castle.jpg
484 KB, 1800x1330
just replayed SMRPG with the combat difficulty mod

Its unreal how much creativity went into this game almost 20 years ago. Now all the PM and M&L sequels just feel like formulaic retreads
>>
>lets have a Paper Mario crossover
>but you're not allowed to use any characters that don't appear in NSMB

I wonder what its like to be on the anti-creativity thinktank at Nintendo
>>
>>321732221
>SMRPG with the combat difficulty mod
what's that
I do remember the game being piss easy
>>
File: Neo Bowser Castle.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Neo Bowser Castle.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
>>321732221
>That picture

Sticker Star was terrible with Bowser's Castle, no denial.

Neo Bowser Castle in Dream Team is huge though. It has so many sections, with both the real and dream world connecting them.
>>
>>321732332
Also gameplay wise the game is just Mario & Luigi with a third character who can flutter when jumping.
Why not mash both gameplays?
I remember an anon here coming up with a perfect solution for that.
>>
File: Isaac.png (1 KB, 91x97) Image search: [Google]
Isaac.png
1 KB, 91x97
>>321732332
>Literally the two most creative thing with mario's name on it in 20 years
>Except with only characters and concepts from the least creative
>>
>>321732645
Do you remember what it was?
That sounds interesting.
>>
>>321733056
Archives are dead so it's lost forever.
Basically he suggested to give Paper Mario and paper enemies low health but very high defense, to stay true to their games.
But at the same time everyone has the same offense so Mario & Luigi can still take lots of damage from paper enemies and Paper Mario can still cause lots of damage to regular enemies.
Also Paper Mario's only way to defend himself is via blocking and super-blocking and it'd be kinda like how Bowser does it in BiS.
>>
>>321730618
>too many minigames.
>>
>>321733462
Yes?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.