[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Games where enemies always have bullshit advantages
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Yggdra-Union_PSP_ESRB.jpg (431 KB, 650x1127) Image search: [Google]
Yggdra-Union_PSP_ESRB.jpg
431 KB, 650x1127
This game right here. Even when you know how to play the game, enemies always get the advantage and during battle when you think they have it, they pull an advantage out of nowhere and destroy you especially if you are fighting a unit that is weak to the proper weapon type.

Fuck this game.
>>
File: 10-Affinity.png (4 KB, 720x120) Image search: [Google]
10-Affinity.png
4 KB, 720x120
>>321723849
How far are you? When/if you find+use enough of the food (stat-up) foods, you'll stomp the rest of the game

Also, learning when a clash can be won by being Aggressive and when doing so would be a lost cause helps. I forget the exact math, but consider a big enough gap in the star-circle-neutral-triangle-X thing as an extra Attack big star(s), which can push an even battle in someone's favor. Remember, only big stars matter in anything
>>
>>321725423
Even if my affinity is higher than the enemy according to the pic, enemies somehow in battle immediately raise their affinity higher than my unit causing me to get screwed over. Made me rage quit a few times.
>>
>>321723849
Just use shield barrier lad. and Sanctuary at noon.

Yggdra Union actually overpowers your units with the +2,+1 MVP. The other union games don't do that.
>>
>>321725807
I'm at chapter 4(the chapter where you learn how to burn down forts) and I do not have that yet. Enemies tear me apart and I know the mechanics and shit.
>>
File: 1388465649383.jpg (109 KB, 724x844) Image search: [Google]
1388465649383.jpg
109 KB, 724x844
>>321723849
>that stalling stage where the king does nothing but shoot canons at you while you have to wait until night to destroy a bride or something
I don't have it in me to finish the game, ridiculous win condition, I can already take on the characters but taking so many canon hits kills my morale, and I cant even move outside its range
>>
>>321726056
First chapters are the hardest. And maybe some later boss fights if you'll ill-prepared.

Anyway, enemies have their Rage bar that fills overtime. When it fills once, they go Aggressive mode, like your units can. When it fills again, MAX mode for an even stronger attack buff. It sucks, but your ability to pump out Skills later in the game trumps it
>>
File: Gulcasa.jpg (73 KB, 440x370) Image search: [Google]
Gulcasa.jpg
73 KB, 440x370
Did someone order a Genocide?
>>
>>321726597
The rage bar is the problem with the game. No rage bar for your units.
>>
File: Rosary a best.png (33 KB, 240x160) Image search: [Google]
Rosary a best.png
33 KB, 240x160
>>321726704
Bring it on, pic related.

>>321726875
Your "rage bar" is the meter that rises or falls when you fight aggressive or passive. If you're at chapter 4, then I actually don't think you're far enough to have access to skills yet and I also forget exactly when you start being able to use the aggressive and passive. For the early parts of the game, at least until you get aggressive and passive, just focus on making sure you have weapon triangle advantages and using cards with high Power to attack units. Terrain bonuses also might help and are worth paying attention to.
>>
>>321726875
It goes more and more in our favor later when your Tech stats grow. You can go max Aggro or throw out a Skill easily every clash. Enemies have to wait for MAX to Skill and can get stuck in an elemental Aggro against your guy that's immune which OP can abuse with Nietzsche vs. Undines soon

IMO, the most fury-inducing thing in this game is all the "Situation has changed!" or whatever, but that's part of the experience
>>
>>321727637
>"Situation has changed!" or whatever, but that's part of the experience

That or you think the chapter is done, but NOPE, still continues on.
>>
>>321723849
I've been meaning to play this game. I think I've heard that the PSP version is easier than the GBA version or that you need to unlock normal mode on the PSP version by playing through easy mode or something. Could someone clarify that for me? Should I download a save file so I can get the proper experience right away?
>>
File: 1440814354860.jpg (108 KB, 300x449) Image search: [Google]
1440814354860.jpg
108 KB, 300x449
>>321727564
>mfw that choice between rosary and roswell
>mfw roswell is an absolute joke to beat but rosary can give you the edge against this fucking asshole >>321726704
>mfw rosary is a pain in the ass to beat
>>
>>321728084
I've only played the GBA version, but from what I've heard, the PSP version tweaked the balance in a way that makes it hard to put one game over the other in terms of difficulty. Some things are harder, some things are easier.

I believe the PSP version does have a few extra chapters not in the GBA version and two additional playable characters. And the unlockable mode you mentioned is actually a Hard mode, which wasn't available in the GBA version. I wouldn't know which to recommend personally, but I'd just go with the PSP version unless someone else posts a reason not to.
>>
>>321728084
Without spoiling things, the PSP has some extra spices. Given that this is a strategy game, these extra features are usually easier for us humans to abuse than the AI

Another biggie lies in Morale. Think HP, except it can only be recovered via the limited amount of items you'll collect overtime. Morale loss is inevitable, meaning shiny-treasure sacrifice is (mostly) inevitable. However, in the PSP version, there's a Skill that heals Morale, and level-ups do too in normal mode
>>
>>321729356
>>321729356
Oh right, the actual question. I'd vote PSP since the extra stuff make it more interesting, and the Morale thing isn't what makes Yggdra Union hard. The Morale system's really just punishment for playing like an uber-moron, and mostly benign for anyone else
>>
>>321729603
Is it worth playing through the PSP version if I've beaten the GBA version? How much of a difference do those "extra features" make?
>>
>>321730195
Eh, not enough for another playthrough unless you really have an itch

Some card changes to differentiate them, like Flame causing Burn for Morale damage per turn and Thunderbolt causing Paralyze MIZEEER
New units to find with signature cards
Extra final chapter on hard mode (but if you remember how endgame battles went, chucking your 5-6 star units at everything, you'll know you're not missing much)
Quality of life thing for one chapter: Enemies in that getting bombarded on the bridge all chapter not being 99.9% invincible
>>
>>321731046
Oh, okay. They sound alright. Although the status ailments sound more inconvenient for the player than anything... unless they work on bosses too, then that might be interesting.
>>
Alright, I'm starting the PSP version. Anything I should know before I begin or will I figure it out as I go along?
>>
>>321723849
Unpredictable enemy reinforcements are always annoying in these sorts of games, and critical hits might be a bit too devastating. Those are just about the only problems I had with Yggdra Union, though.

I guess the stat system is a bit strange as well, and the game becomes incredibly easy if you use a walkthrough to find all the hidden items.

>>321726704
He was always a pretty satisfying opponent. Even once you have a decent idea of how to handle him, he's tough enough for every clash to have some tension.
>>
The last modern xcom was bullshit. Why did aliens always get a free turn when you spotted them? What purpose did that serve balance-wise?
>>
>>321733952
If you play with tutorials on (or there might be a separate menu for the tutorial in the PSP version, I played GBA) then you should have an easy enough time.

One piece of advice I will give you is that hidden items are on certain map tiles, and in order to pick them up, you have to stop -on- that tile. You won't pick them up just by crossing over them. If you want to find hidden items, I recommend moving one space at a time (as in move, stop, move, stop, move, etc). This isn't as tedious as it sounds.

A lot of hidden items are in suspicious spots on the map (like a single path off to the side that seemingly leads nowhere might likely have an item hidden on one of the tiles), so sometimes you can just get a feel for where they might be instead of meticulously crawling over every space of every map.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.