[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Please post your favorite dungeon crawler games and the unique
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (130 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
130 KB, 1280x720
Please post your favorite dungeon crawler games and the unique features that are found in them. Thank you.
>>
>>321718793

>rsi: the game
>>
tfw Baroque is a great game but it was 2hardcore for most people so it got terrible review scores

Special mentions to Nightmare of Druaga for also being rad.
>>
>>321718793
Do your own market research you fucking faggot.
>>
>>321719418
Fuck you.
>>
File: A very talented hedonist.png (864 KB, 1280x768) Image search: [Google]
A very talented hedonist.png
864 KB, 1280x768
Elona

It is the best game. I could write a thesis on all the features it has and why it is the best. It's one of a kind.
>>
>>321720251
Please do.
>>
>>321720373
Problem is I've typed out multi post rants about it so many times, I'm kind of tired of doing so. I'll give you a bit though.

So my favorite thing about the game is that you start out so hilariously weak that most classes/races and combinations there in will die to the tutorial monster. The single level 1 "putit" (just a slime) will kill you in the tutorial. This isn't some Souls meant to lose the first time nonsense, it's just that you start that weak. When you start exploring proper you'll get your ass kicked by squirrels and children. Kobolds, the weakest monster in most D&D campaigns will DESTROY you if you're unprepared. Oh there's a skill for musical instruments? I can get some gold by playing for townsfolk, then I can buy gear! Have fun getting one shot by old men throwing rocks at your shitty performance asshole.
Then though, then, oh boy.
The image I posted was of my final character. Into that character I poured all my autism, all my poopsock and all my obsession. That character beat ever "Inner god" in the game. Inner gods are the second forms of the normal pantheon in the game, they are the god's gods. They are not supposed to be beaten, they are nearly impossible. What I'm saying is that over time you go from a down syndrome paraplegic getting beat by squirrels, into a god killer. That sense of exponential growth feels so good.

Cont
>>
>>321721081
So this game is deep. I've had people tell me they had an easier time learning Dorf Fort. While I disagree with them I see the comparison. Elona is definitely easier to get into than Dorf, but you will never, ever, stop learning new things. Right up until the end I was learning new things. You need wishes to summon gods to kill, to then summon their Inner God, for example. I had pretty much run out of methods of getting wishes, there were some I hadn't used but they always felt slightly cheating-ish so I preferred to avoid them. Then I found out that toilets work the same way fountains do. If you drink from a fountain there is a 1/100 chance of getting a wish. So I set up a ring of toilets and had some pets start chugging. When they ran out of water I transmuted them into a new toilet ready to be quaffed. For days my pets drank from the toilets (toilets I got arrested and sent to prison to collect) and finally I got my wishes.
Anyway, in addition to that sort of thing the actual gameplay consists of equal parts basic Roguelike dungeon crawling, as well as overworld micromanagement stuff. I love this because it's nice to break up dungeon crawling with more relaxed gameplay. You can own a farm, a shop, a ranch, and even a museum. While none of these aspects are as deep as Harvest Moon, Reccetear, etc, they are still there and make the game a lot more varied and fun. They also all mix perfectly. You can grow herbs to make yourself stronger in your farm, then you go dungeon diving to get gear which you sell in your shop to get more gold to buy better gear.

Any questions?
>>
>>321721081
>>321721703
Oh, and keep in mind this was far from my first character. The play time you saw there was just how long raising her took me. Definitely a lot, but in total I've put around 2.5k+ hours into the game. Still learning too.
>>
>>321722269
sounds good and i was getting tired of DC stonesoup.
Is the graphic pack necessary?
>>
>>321720251
I need a damn tutorial for this game, I play dungeon crawlers and rogue likes but this confuses me
>>
>>321723215
Nah, I didn't use one. Some are pretty good but go by personal preference. Personally I like the Wild Arms music pack but it's all just up to you.

Definitely play Elona+ rather than vanilla though. The dev stopped making awhile ago and a bunch of gooks picked up the project. It gets surprisingly frequent updates for such an obscure title. Everything that needs to be translated is translated, and if you have trouble with anything the wiki will have you covered, or you can ask the thread on /jp/. It's going to appeal more to weebs, keep in mind. For example by FAR the best starting pet is the little girl, like absolutely no contest. You can still definitely enjoy it regardless of opinion on that though.

Here, it's definitely a wiki game and you shouldn't feel wrong for using one. Knowledge is your weapon.
http://elona.wikia.com/wiki/Elona_Wiki

>>321723606
I could give you my steam/skype. I don't mind answering questions or giving advice. I really love even just talking about this game.
>>
>>321723694
Why not, my steam ID is needheed so you can add me and I'll holler at you if I want to try it again.
>>
>>321721081
>>321721703
this game sounds awesome. Will I enjoy it if I enjoyed TOME quite a lot?
>>
>>321725137
Absolutely. I won't say they're super similar but they're similar enough. Give it a go anon. Again, it's a deep game so expect to fuck up your character and need to restart a few times. You're going to lose a character or two to being far too corrupted by Etherwind to be able to reasonably cure it all. Happened to me, happens to everyone. Just enjoy the experience and don't get frustrated.
>>
>>32171879
Wizardry 6. You just make a party (there are lots of different races and classes), the game drops you into a dungeon and you have to figure out how to survive and progress. I like it better than 7 and 8 because it really is a dungeon crawler first and foremost, the sequels were too "WRPG" for my tastes.
>>
>>321725137
>>321725398
Oh, and the default mode that you should be using doesn't have permadeath. It punishes death pretty harshly but you aren't going to need to restart. The game has some BULLSHIT deaths too, so it's a good thing. So again, on your first character or two don't be at all scared to fuck up. Fuck up real bad.
>>
>>321725398
Sounds good man, thanks. Downloading now. I'm excited. Still new to roguelikes desu senpai but I really enjoyed the learning curve and frustration vs. reward i experienced with TOME.
>>
There aren't enough first-person dungeon crawlers. I want Legend of Grimrock with fun combat, even if the levels are shittier and/or randomly generated
>>
>>321725978
did you try grimrock 2? it only improved things.
>>
>>321725978
I'm making one, don't worry.
>>
>>321725978
Honest question: What's the difference between dungeon crawler and rogue-like?
>>
>>321726917
while a rogue-like demands random elements a dungeon crawler can present a fixed environment like the dungeon layout.
>>
>>321727156
is Heavy Bullets a dungeon crawler?

Been a long-ass time since I played it, but it didnt seem randomly generated
>>
>>321727156
There's randomly generated dungeon crawlers.
>>
>>321726917
Most roguelikes are dungeon crawlers, but not all dungeon crawlers are roguelikes.

Roguelikes specifically usually feature one or more of the following.

Procedural generation, tile movement, permadeath, excess of meaningful options, and punishing difficulty. These are all elements from the original Rogue.

Dungeon crawlers specifically feature one thing to qualify. There are one or more dungeons and you explore them. They're a broad category covering a large amount of games.
>>
>>321718793
Hammerwatch was fucking shit
>>
>>321727891
i liked it
>>
>>321727295
holy shit you're retarded
>>
>>321727987
good for you
just curious, what did you like about it?
>>
>>321728007
>>>/v/
>>
>>321727891
what's wrong with Hammerwatch?
It's just Gauntlet.

Gauntlet is fun.
>>
>>321728165
dunno
I don't get bored with Gauntlet
I did get bored with Hammerwatch

maybe it was the pace of progress or combat, can't remember too well
>>
>>321728165
>Remember playing Gauntlet on N64 with cousins as kids
>We're all talking about it at family Christmas
>One cousin has the new Gauntlet on ps4
>We all get excited and go to play it like old times
>It's fucking shit

Oh god, what have they done
>>
>>321728145
The combat
Being able to dash into a horde of monsters then spin around
also, anything with top-down action and strafing is awesome

Some of the level design could be annoying though, way too many of those 360 Towers that wasnt near a wall to hide behind
>>
>>321728145
Not that anon but it was a nice throwback to Gauntlet. Better than Gauntlet 2013 anyway. Had a fun time with friends.

The wooden boards are fucking bullshit though.

>tfw Dark Legacy on PC with online play coming never
>>
>>321728340
It crushed my hopes. I was really fucking hesitant to try a new Gauntlet game after the SHITSHOW that was Gauntlet Seven Sorrows.

The last good Gauntlet game was Dark Legacy.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.