[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Fallout 4 a RPG game?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: 1449287029487.jpg (84 KB, 450x577) Image search: [Google]
1449287029487.jpg
84 KB, 450x577
Is Fallout 4 a RPG game?
>>
>>321708920

Fuck that faggot. This is exactly what happens when you have idiots that don't understand a lick of game design, in the ears of developers. You get a half cooked game, that doesn't know if it wants to let you tell your own story, or guide you through one. Such a fucking mess.
>>
>>321708920

I hope that smile is sarcastic. He looks like he's taking 3 cocks up the ass, or farting out Gingerbread crumbs.
>>
>>321709604
It looks shopped, if it's a natural smile, i'll be damned.
>>
File: Pete Hines.png (2 MB, 1242x2943) Image search: [Google]
Pete Hines.png
2 MB, 1242x2943
>>321708920
>>
>>321708920
>RPG game
>role playing game game
>>
>>321710532

>Heh, not interested in discussing our lore with you nerd
>Don't you have better things to do then to worry about stupid shit like lore nerd
>>
>>321709494
So he's the new Casey Hudson
>>
>>321710532
What a shit head.
>>
like 7 out of 10 times, when i first arrive on a scene of neutral NPCs and start trying to talk to them, as soon as i start getting immersed in a convo, explosions and gun fire starts going off like a few blocks away and i start going into flight or fight mode, where i stop comprehending the conversations.

it happens so often that i try to clear areas now before i even talk to NPCs.
>>
File: 1428839251640.jpg (429 KB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
1428839251640.jpg
429 KB, 2448x2448
>>321710532
Modern Beth are a far cry from the studio that made the 36 lessons of vivec.
>>
>>321710532
Allowing your world to be internally inconsistent is one of the worst sins in writing fiction. Inconsistencies should be intentional, to draw attention to something as they would in our own world. Sometimes it's fun to throw off the chains and have a bizarre world where nothing seems to follow reason, like Alice's Wonderland or Saint's Row, but even such random unpredictability has a method to its madness.
>>
>>321708920
>RPG game
Also no it isnt an RPG
>>
>>321708920
>Including fallout 3
You could walk away from dialogue in F3 it wasn't hard. Follow the markers and you'll never lose the mission objective.

All modern fallout games have been like this, even /v/'s personal favorite NV.

I would define a real RPG as a game where you play as a character you can create, level it up and equip items with stats.

That's the very basic definition of what an RPG is, so yes Fallout 4 is an RPG.
>>
>>321711220
>Like saints row
Saints row are like 2 maybe 3 games. Everything after is a post volition meme game.
>>
>>321711572
Seriously. Everything except having to create the character, though. That'd remove most Final Fantasys, SMTs, and a few other classic RPGs.
>>
>>321711959
You have to allow some leniency but if you were to point out staple RPG mechanics then creating your own character is one of them.
>>
>>321708920
Not really. Every new character you make is the same as the last.

You're a father/mother with a white, educated, middle-aged voice. Your past is that you were a pre-war American soldier/lawyer and have succeeded enough in society to have been upper middle-class. You were frozen in Vault 111. Your goal is that you are a loving father/mother and you want to find your son and avenge your spouse. You are also not given much in the way of dialog or skills to further create a unique character.
>>
>>321708920

Fallout 4 is an action game with RPG elements.
>>
>>321712146
That's the basic narrative that all fallout games have. It's up to you which paths you take from there, you're under the illusion that a voiced actor means you cannot RP. You can easily RP without you just need the mental fortitude.
>>
>>321711572
Those aren't the definitions of a role-playing game. Those are just mechanics that often appear in them.
>>
>>321712698
They are the mechanics that define the genre, yes.
>>
File: Cataclysm.jpg (125 KB, 468x481) Image search: [Google]
Cataclysm.jpg
125 KB, 468x481
>>321712441
It's just plain lazy. OG Fallout wasn't THAT much of an RPG, but at least it didn't railroad so much of your character that you have to really force yourself to make something fresh.
>>
>>321712441
>if you ignore the dick going up your ass it's not even gay sex
>>
>>321711912
I was just using it as an example of deliberate nonsense. A "meme game" is entirely what they were aiming to create, much like Alice's adventures in Wonderland are supposed to be off-the-wall nonsensical to make up for the lack of deep narrative. I'd even put Borderlands 2 in the same category simply because it amps up the jokes and 4th-wall-breaking to an intentionally bring out what certain people liked in the first game. I'm not putting the series' on a pedestal, but rather pointing out that there are instances of internal inconsistency that don't create the massive butthurt you see from fans of stories and lore (because they really ARE just being crazy for the fun of it).
>>
>>321713117
You could apply the complaint I'm replying to to any game and say it's bad, Fallout gets shtick because it's AAA and Todd memes.

You think VA stops RP? Nah.

>>321712939
I agree, I wish I had more freedom but this isn't news, Bethesda Fallout has been normyfied for what, 6+ years now or something. Not only that but you can tell they are a normy company by looking at the TES series post Morrowind.

Besides you act like there are no games that cater to your post apoc needs, Underail has been out for a week or so now and /v/ has been happy with it mostly. Maybe Fallout just isn't for you?
>>
It is but it's a shit RPG that also doesn't give a shit about internal consistency >>321710532

Honestly Far Cry 4 is a far better game when we're talking about FPS games with RPG elements.
>>
>>321712939
I wish people weren't so sold on graphics alone. Imagine if today's consumers were more eager about gameplay - we'd be stuck in the XBox / PS1 era graphics, but the actual games we'd be playing.....

A damn shame
>>
>>321713249
I know what you were saying, just clearing up that Saints Row wasn't always memes and le whackyness. It wasn't until S2 that we saw a little more whacky shit. The narrative in S1 and 2 were quite serious at points, and I enjoyed following it as a series.

tl;dr S3+ are good examples of your point but the real Saints Row series doesn't fit your point.
>>
>>321708920
Yes, it is an RPG.... but the genre is so big now that it is next to useless to use it to describe what a game is like. You would have to describe it as a first/third person, open world, action game with RPG elements.
>>
Fallout 4 is a bad shooter
>>
>>321712939
>posting Cataclysm
Dammit anon, now I have to go play it again.
>>
>>321713519
>but this isn't news
So what? Maybe if we type more angry words as anonymous posters on 4chan berating them they'll decide to start doing things OUR way!
>>
File: Lovers'-Agreement.gif (1 MB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lovers'-Agreement.gif
1 MB, 1024x768
This just depresses me. Fallout was my favorite RPG as a teen. I don't have the energy to even hate them anymore. I even paid them for their job at destroying my childhood. Why the fuck did I cling to the hope that it bearing the title of something I once loved would mean I had a shot at enjoying it similarly? I'm fucking retarded.
>>
how can the people who made morrowind be the same people who made skyrim or fo4? i just dont get it
>>
>>321714861
$
>>
>>321714861
>The same people
No. They're not the same people. Maybe Hines and Todd is still left and they have their hands around some of the senior devs' ballsacks, but I sincerely doubt most of the crew from Daggerfall/Morrowind's days are still there.

People jump ships all the time, and Bethesda is no different. Plus, they've drastically changed their vision and internal culture.
>>
>>321714861
because they're not, most of the MW dev team left Beth before and after Oblivions release to go do other shit
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.