[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just got this and all the other gothic games for 4 bucks on steam.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
File: gothic.jpg (9 KB, 300x257) Image search: [Google]
gothic.jpg
9 KB, 300x257
Just got this and all the other gothic games for 4 bucks on steam. Just getting into the the first one and I have a question. How do you become a mage, I thought it'd be with the bold dudes but it looks like they are templars. Help me im dumb
>>
>>321692647
All the camps have mages.
Old Camp you start by becoming a Shadow and then later when you get promoted and can enter the castle you can start sucking dick of the Fire Mages to join them.
New Camp you start as a Mercenary and once you get promoted later and can enter the top area you can suck the dick of Water Mages to join them.
And in Swamp it's also the same, you become a novice and need to suck the dick of the Gurus after being promoted to become a mage.
Mage is not something you can be early or even mid game in Gothic.
It's a late game thing.
>>
>>321693306
>>321693306
oh cool thanks for the info man
>>
>>321693306
so im assuming water mage is ice?? Cause thats the kind of mage I'd wanna be
>>
>>321693424
You're welcome.
The same applies to Risen games by the way.
Risen 2 gets some flak around here since the developers experimented too much with it but 1 and 3 are great.

>>321693603
Correct but for story reasons you really should do Old Camp on your first playthrough.
>>
>>321693760
ok I'll go old camp then since Im really just playing it for story so I can get to the second which I hear is the best
>>
Just don't play Gothic 3.
>>
>>321694159
Make sure to play 2 with Night of the Raven installed obviously.

And for 3 you will seriously want to download the community patch 1.75 as well as Quest Pack 4.2 and Content Mod 2.6.3

Don't play Gothic 3 Forsaken Gods and ArcaniA, they are non-canon and made by a different developer, they're very linear and ArcaniA has literal railroaded invisible walls to boot.

>>321694373
Stop with this shitty meme. G3 with 1.75 patch is a very solid game, with QP and CM it's flat out amazing. Not as good as 2 but definitely above 1.
>>
>>321694678
another question Ive played for 5 hours and havent happened into any armor yet except ones the camps sell and have like no ore??
>>
>>321694678
>>above 1.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>321695343
That's normal.
Armor is a symbol of status in Gothic/Risen games, not something you can get easy.
Go for Xardas ending in G3 (that's the canon one), it doesn't mean much now but once you get to it you will understand and then go into Risen games which directly tie into that G3 ending.

>>321695593
Thanks for proving you never played it with QP and CM.
>>
File: Ritter.jpg (339 KB, 1709x948) Image search: [Google]
Ritter.jpg
339 KB, 1709x948
>>321695593
You clearly never experienced it as that anon was saying
>>
Holy shit why are the controls for this game so terrible? I just can't get over how clunky interaction is, to say nothing of combat.
>>
>>321695869
Because the game literally started as a PS1 game but then the devs realized the game was too ambitious for PS1 hardware and instead of cutting corners they simply moved to PC.
Enable the alternative controls in options and just get used to it. Honestly once you get a feel for it you will realize just how natural it feels. It just takes time getting used to.
>>
>>321695647
Not the OP, but I have played it with those installed, and it's a fundamentally flawed game. The combat is much worse than the first two, so much so that it breaks the enjoyment for me.

That being said it's still better than most RPGs out nowadays.
>>
File: kan.jpg (413 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
kan.jpg
413 KB, 1920x1080
>>321696112
I honestly think the combat is bad in all of them, each in a different way. But it's not a series I play for combat so eh besides that's just my opinion, no need to get mad.
I really just think G3 is criminally underrated, especially after the patches and with QP and CM installed.
Also ironically enough I'd say it still holds up quite nicely visually.
>>
>>321695647
Release version was enough.
>>
>>321696359
Oh yeah, it's a beautiful game and it was much more optimistic with the world building than G1 or 2 because of the size of the world.

I just think Risen was a better version of G3, same style and size but without some of the combat problems that G3 had.
>>
File: Rebellen_.jpg (580 KB, 1898x955) Image search: [Google]
Rebellen_.jpg
580 KB, 1898x955
>>321696654
Release version was fucking abysmal because it was literally released two years ahead of schedule by greedy publisher. It was supposed to launch in 2008 and the publisher was about to go bankrupt and tried to save themselves with last ditch effort by literally forcing the game out in alpha state in 2006. The developer got so mad that they literally cut all ties with the publisher.

You also do yourself a major fucking disservice by not playing it after patches and with QP and CM since it's virtually a night/day difference between release version and this.

>>321696759
Risen 1 was just a soft reboot of the series though and in many ways was just a retread of Gothic 1. Risen 2 was too experimental and streamlined. Risen 3 was a major improvement over 2 though it still has some of the experimental bits.
>>
>>321694678
Gothic 1 is better than 2.
>>
>>321697782
Now THIS is what I call contrarian hipster.
>>
>>321697156
The first half of Risen 1 was good, Risen 2 and 3 were shit. PB should stop making games.
>>
tfw I always stop after the sewers in Gothic 2

I need to play it again
>>
>>321698170
Serious question, did you even play 3 past the tutorial let alone the prologue? Because 90% of cases of people who say Risen 3 are faggots that just saw the tutorial and thought the whole game was like that.

Also PB is already making a new game with sci fi fantasy setting.
>>
>>321696359
This, Gothic 3 with community patches is great and fun
Also has the best soundtrack
>>
>>321694678
>Make sure to play 2 with Night of the Raven installed
Why not tell him to get assraped by a pack of hung niggers while you're at it.
>>
>>321698873
It's not any more harder than G1 is.
G2 was severely casualized compared to G1 which was one of the major fan complaints at the time so they rectified that with NotR.
Git gud.
>>
Gothic 3 > Risen > Risen 3 > Risen 2 > Gothic 2 > Gothic
>>
>>321693306
You can learn magic the moment you join the Swamp Camp, however, it's only possible to learn 4 of the 6 circles of magic as a swamp guy.

>>321693603
Technically, yes. But you can use whatever runes you qualify for. Even as a water mage you may use fire and swamp spells.
>>
>>321698425
Yes, I stopped playing it after the spider boss.

Fucking Elmex will probably be also shit, because of PB and their shitty humour and storywriting.
>>
>>321699119
You still need to do the initial novice quests to actually join the camp.

>>321699147
>after the spider boss
So you mean literally 10% away from the ending?
>>
>>321698096
Gothic 1 was where the series was actually original.
2 was neat and improved on 1 in several ways but all in all it was pretty generic fantasy.
>>
>>321699270
I had nothing better to do.
>>
>>321698993
It's a lot harder.
>>
>>321698170
Well, none of the original gothic staff remains so fine with me.
>>
>>321699270
Well, obviously. However, the main advantage of joining the Swamp Camp is being able to learn magic immediately after joining instead of near the end of chapter 2 when you may become a fire mage, or at some point in chapter 3 if you joined the New Camp.
>>
>>321699431
Sogar die Drachen.
>>
>>321700370
AND THEY CAME
>>
>>321694678
G3 is only above 1 in terms of control schemes.

Fun fact, it took me a fucking hour to figure out the alt button was the jump button in G1. When I first found it, it was an old disc my father had and we had no manual, I experimented with that game for ages.

Shit was cash.
>>
So the Sleeper was Beliar's champion right?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
No to liczymy polaczków w fredzie
>>
>>321693603
You're going to be the same mage as every other faggot. The army of the dead faggot who summons 2 billion skeletons that fuck up everything and you'll have to reload your game every time they do because the AI isn't very bright.
>>
>>321699115
>Shit Taste: The Post
Actual ranking:
Gothic 2 > Gothic 1 > Risen > Risen 3 > Gothic 3 > Risen 2
>>
>>321700647
Jam jest ten co sziluje G3
>>
>>321700647
No elo
>>
>>321694678
>Make sure to play 2 with Night of the Raven installed obviously.
You really need to know how to spend your skill points for that. Night of the Raven, you can pretty much not experiment with your build AT ALL early on. If you buy some semi-useless thief skills or spend a lot in Alchemy or some other crap too soon, you get completely demolished by the game.
>>
>>321701847
In all seriousness, who the fuck starts out with Alchemy, ever?
You're always supposed to get combat/health centric shit first along with sneaking so you can start stealing shit.
>>
>>321700647
This game never fails at calling out polacks from the woods. I jeszcze jeden.
>>
>>321702140
I don't know. Gothic 2 kind of leaves you in Khorinis early and it's this nice cuddly town that's largely secure with some stuff to learn here and there and there's only one single guy who wants to beat the crap out of you.
So depending on whether you stay there for a bit or want to move on as soon as possible, I can see people just staying there and spending much of their limited early experience on something unessential.

Gothic 1 was different. You wake up and get hit in the face by Erzbaron Diego. Then you get to old camp and everyone beats the crap out of you if you don't pay them not to. Then you can go into an arena to get the crap beaten out of you. And if someone doesn't like your face they beat the crap out of you.
Combat seems like much more of a priority in that game.

I guess if you're playing 2 after 1 though, maybe it's less of a problem.
>>
>>321702916
>1 takes place in a prison colony
>2 takes place on the civilized island the prison colony was stationed on

Makes sense to me. Also Diego isn't the one who sucker punches you in 1, he's the one who picks you up afterwards.
>>
>>321702916
>I guess if you're playing 2 after 1 though, maybe it's less of a problem.
That's kind of the fucking point.
Anyone who plays games out of release order deserves to be hanged.
>>
>>321698993
It's a hell of a lot harder. I played NotR first and G1 was a cakewalk after.
>>
>>321697156
ich erinner mich noch wie die kampfanimation von keilern so broken war dass sie fast unkillbar im nahkampf waren. was ne enttäuschung damals
>>
>>321700647
Gothic dobra gra jest
>>
>>321693603
if you want a sense of accomplishment for becoming a mage you need to play gothic 2
>>
>>321704803
Schuld daran ist Jewood.
>>
Do things respawn in Gothic 2?
>>
>>321706617
No but places get repopulated with different enemies whenever a new chapter starts.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.